View Poll Results: will you shut off Java?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if Homeland security is scared, I am too

0 0%
  • Yes, I prefer just to be safe, not really "scared" Thou

7 41.18%
  • no, not really scare

6 35.29%
  • No, I aint gotz nuttin to steal anyway..

4 23.53%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trail Tire TV on blogger

Java Hacked... are you scared?

So it's all over everything now that Java has a major security hack, and "Home Land Security" is saying you should shut it off in your browser,.. but 80-90% of the web has at least some java running something on them.... so will you shut it off?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

No Stranger to danger....
    Whats Java? i thought it was coffee?
    And how can this effect me?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Whats Java? i thought it was coffee?
    And how can this effect me?
    sarcasm? not sure ??

if not, Java is basically a web plug in for your web browser that adds features to websites (like auto add smilies here,with out it you can't just click on the smilies of the right and have them auto post in your text window, you will have to manually type them in)

Lot's of banks use it also.. which is a major no-no
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

High Desert MTBer
    So not being the most tech-savvy of users, how do I turn it off and how would that affect my browsing experience!?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    If using Internet Exploder, Internet Options-Programs-Manage Addons-Toolbars and extensions. There is a small Show: dropdown, select All addons. Scroll to Java Plugins-Disable any.
    Firefox-Addons-Plugins. Disable Java.

Edit* Or just uninstall it through Control Panel. You probably won't miss it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    So not being the most tech-savvy of users, how do I turn it off and how would that affect my browsing experience!?
    gunna be diff depending on computer OS and the Browser you use. but generally just open the browsers prefs and look in the settings (usually in the "security section but it's change over the yrs and versions of browsers) and just turn it off...

image for Mac's Safari...

as too effect, it can bee a good or bad thing.. one good thing is here the forums load faster as all the ads are java, they don't load any more much faster here

things like Facebook are 90% java and you'll need to run in the "mobile" facebook setup to be able to post.. again.. it'll be much faster but limited on what you can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Java Hacked... are you scared?-screen-shot-2013-01-13-7.51.43-am.png  

High Desert MTBer
    Chrome here... Mac user... thanks anyway!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Just looked into advanced settings in preferences in Chrome and can't find anything
    It's all Here. Now.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Just looked into advanced settings in preferences in Chrome and can't find anything
    that's because Chrome is a 100% Java based browser.. go back to Safari or get Firefox..if you're scared.. which honestly, I like Chrome, but something like that being 100% java I'd look else where

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    that's because Chrome is a 100% Java based browser.. go back to Safari or get Firefox..if you're scared.. which honestly, I like Chrome, but something like that being 100% java I'd look else where
    wait, guess it's just more hidden... look here for just about all browsers...

How To Disable Java In Your Browser | Gizmodo Australia

No Stranger to danger....
    So i still have no idea how this is a negative thing apart from maybe not being able to use the smilie function on my computer.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

High Desert MTBer
    Jeez, now I'm scared!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Jeez, now I'm scared!!!
    look back a few.. we kinda posted at the same time.. there is less Java base than I thought... link to a list of browsers and how they work back a few posts.

High Desert MTBer
    Disabled, thanks. I will let y'all know if it affects me adversely! I'll be the guinea pig...
    It's all Here. Now.

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't really do anything sensitive on my computer anyways.
    Sure, I guess if a hacker could do a little temporary damage to my life with the info on my PC but over all, I just don't put my whole life on here. But no matter what happens, they can't get anything my keeps my life going. My family, friends, house, job, and bike will all still be there when they are done and at the end of the day, there will still be a cold beer in the fridge.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I don't really do anything sensitive on my computer anyways.
    Sure, I guess if a hacker could do a little temporary damage to my life with the info on my PC but over all, I just don't put my whole life on here. But no matter what happens, they can't get anything my keeps my life going. My family, friends, house, job, and bike will all still be there when they are done and at the end of the day, there will still be a cold beer in the fridge.
    ever use Ebay? paypal? view a back acct or a credit card online.. then you "could" be hacked .. it's mostly about $$$, personal info and your actual computer can be used by others...

actually the best defense is to just shut off the computer.... go out and ride

but it's crappy weather here... :\

Rogue Exterminator
    ever use Ebay? paypal? view a back acct or a credit card online.. then you "could" be hacked .. it's mostly about $$$, personal info and your actual computer can be used by others...

actually the best defense is to just shut off the computer.... go out and ride

but it's crappy weather here... :\

Yes, but I have cancelled pretty much every credit card and keep only 1 now with a low limit for internet purchases and traveling.

I rarely buy things online unless the deal is just too good to pass up because I would rather spend the money locally.

Like I said in the other post, if they did get my info, they could do a little damage but not great damage. I am aware that I am not totally invulnerable to damage from a hacker, but I also know there is little they can do to me and anything they can do can be fixed.

And yes, I will be riding today, the weather is fantastic here in the mountains. Another day in the 70's

High Desert MTBer
    Like KJ, I have little to lose online, but the sheer hassle of having anything like that happen just ain't worth it...
    It's all Here. Now.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Like KJ, I have little to lose online, but the sheer hassle of having anything like that happen just ain't worth it...
    ya,.. me too.. reading back It sounds like i'm PARANOID!! to clarify, I'm not.. just rather be safe than sorry. I have a few friends who have been hacked before and it's a really more than just an announce. The thing is YOU may not have any cards, but when the hacker take your info and creates a mess of cards and loans and you have no clue till 30 days later when the bills roll in and it's too late to catch them... you'll have 6 months easy getting it all straight again...

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, but my credit is in the toilet so they can't get too many credit cards in my name.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Very interesting. Java is everywhere. I wonder how this is any different from OS vulnerabilities.

Retired User
    Our IT guy asked that everyone disable java on their browsers at work. I did yesterday, both at home and work, and I don't think I've noticed any differences in internet capabilities. I'm by no means a computer geek. I know that Java is very integrated with web browsers, but I don't really know what it does and what one will not be able to do with it turned off.

they took the bar
    I shut it off long ago, and really didn't notice anything different with my experience on the 'net.

Using Firefox with all of my O/S flavors, (Win, Linux, BSD)....

human dehumidifier
    Man this is going to seriously upset my wife since there will be no FarmVille or Mafia Wars without Java!!
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

re member
    There seems to be a lot of banter on this newest Java hole.

Is it really that much worse than any of the other monthly to sometimes weekly Java holes that have been going on for the last few years?

We are always updating Java at work, at least monthly, if not more often, because of security holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast