It's scorpion season

Found the first scorpion of the season in my house today. Bastards get through cracks that nothing else can squeeze though. It happens like clockwork this time of year...must be breeding season.

No pics today. Just flushed it.

Cat is lucky she didn't get a stinger in the nose. She was looking for it for an hour after I caught it.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    I live in the redwoods and this time of year you have to shake out your pants and turn your shoes upside down. They also hide out in the woodpile.

Strange thing is that I never see them outside, not even in the woodpile. Only in the house.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Scorpions and tarantulas. I haven't found any scorpions this year but we did find a big ass tarantula in my kitchen. Not sure how it got in but getting it out was pretty interesting.

mtbr member
    Damn I'm glad I live where I live. Only thing we have to worry about are Black Widows and the less common Brown Recluse. I might be able to deal with scorpions but first time I saw a tarantula in my house, I'd move. Then again, we do get near tarantula sized wolf spiders around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Damn I'm glad I live where I live. Only thing we have to worry about are Black Widows and the less common Brown Recluse. I might be able to deal with scorpions but first time I saw a tarantula in my house, I'd move. Then again, we do get near tarantula sized wolf spiders around here.
    We've got brown recluse and wolf spiders here too, I'm not sure about black widows since I haven't seen any yet.

Trying to catch a spider that can jump thats the size of my hand was pretty intense since spiders kinda creep me out.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Speaking of hard to catch, my cat likes to bring me "gift's". One night i heard the peep of what I thought was another mouse, wrong, it was a bat. Took a while to get it out of the house. I think I heard my cat laughing at me.

usually cranky
    craziest critter that makes it into my house is my cat. the cape is not a bad place to live.

AZ
    banned
    Bears. Sucks when they try to come in the house.

there are plenty of black windows in TX. they're big in my neck of the woods. there were plenty around the house when I moved in (new construction in a wooded area, sat vacant for some months before I bought it...lots of black widows). but after a few months of clearing cobwebs and stuff, I haven't seen any of those around the house. they don't like disturbance.

I haven't seen any brown recluses or the giant tarantulas. I have a friend who gets them at her place on the other side of town in a more rural area than mine, so I know they're here.

I am also fortunate to have avoided venomous snakes at my house. we have 4 species that I'm aware of: copperheads (seen often at the local mtb trails), cottonmouths (seen near just about any water hunting for frogs), timber/canebreak rattlers (I saw one 5 footer a couple years ago, but far from my house), and coral snakes (I have not been fortunate enough to see one of these guys).

mtbr member
    I bought one of those black light scorpion detecting flashlights. I bought it and thought it was just a dumb gimmick, but they work!

I used it on our family's ranch in Mexico and those yellow scorpions light up a bright neon green. It only works where it's very dark, but holy shat there are scorpions everywhere.

Beer Me!
    In New Mexico we had plenty of regular scorpions.

We also had whip scorpions, which are super creepy looking, smelly and fast. First time I cought one was in my GF's (wife now) house and i cut off the tail by accident, stunk up the whole room.

Then there are these guys that are super f-ing creepy, seen a couple of them in my day and don't really want to again, Sunspider:
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    I bought one of those black light scorpion detecting flashlights. I bought it and thought it was just a dumb gimmick, but they work!

I used it on our family's ranch in Mexico and those yellow scorpions light up a bright neon green. It only works where it's very dark, but holy shat there are scorpions everywhere.

I used to have a little surf shack north of Ixtapa, and at night the pseudoscorpion's would come out and hang out on the walls of the house. The mexicans called them the "madre de alacrans" the mother of scorpions. They were pretty cool looking.

official eMpTyBRain
    Bug and Arachnid problems can be controlled by the following two methods...and you must do both:

1) Spray the perimeter of your building at least once a month in the active season.
    2) Set a glue trap on each side of all door ways or suspected entry areas, both sides!

We use these methods in the High Desert of So Cal. Very effective!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

workin' it Administrator
    I got bit one night in bed by a bark scorpion. 6 times. Hands down the most painful thing that i have had happen to me, including cutting the end of my thumb off while slicing tomatoes and having it chemically cauterized.

Best way to keep scorpions away is to kill all their prey. Spray the areas where crickets and roaches congregate. Get rid of the food and get rid of the predator.

Used to save scorpions and relocate them but now with kids they are on my squish list sadly, along with the numerous black widows.

FWIW after the bark scorpion bite my hand was numb for 3-4 months. No feeling in the skin. It also spread to my face for about 8 hours after the bites. Luckily it got me and not my pregnant wife in bed.
    Try this: HTFU

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I got bit one night in bed by a bark scorpion. 6 times. Hands down the most painful thing that i have had happen to me, including cutting the end of my thumb off while slicing tomatoes and having it chemically cauterized.

Best way to keep scorpions away is to kill all their prey. Spray the areas where crickets and roaches congregate. Get rid of the food and get rid of the predator.

Used to save scorpions and relocate them but now with kids they are on my squish list sadly, along with the numerous black widows.

FWIW after the bark scorpion bite my hand was numb for 3-4 months. No feeling in the skin. It also spread to my face for about 8 hours after the bites. Luckily it got me and not my pregnant wife in bed.

Wow rockcrusher, you ever thought about getting an EPI pen? That is a pretty bad reaction.

I only get the scorpions in June and July. never any other time. I do spray for other bugs, but glue traps aren't gonna happen. outside the house, they'd be full of bugs in one night. inside the house, they'd be stuck to my cat's face in 10 minutes.

here's one I caught in June of 09...I could barely walk and my family was kinda freaking out that I caught this at the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's scorpion season-scorpion.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Snakes too. Snakes almost always are a problem around houses that have rodent issues or some other food source. I worked pest control for a short time and all the snake calls we got, the treatment was for mice, not snakes. Mice went away, the snakes followed.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Wow rockcrusher, you ever thought about getting an EPI pen? That is a pretty bad reaction.
    If I had been allergic I would have died. Bark scorpion has a seriously poisonous venom (most venomous in North America and easily confused with the much less poisonous brown scorpion (which I have also been stung by, lasted a couple of hours)). Check it" Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Those things are scary. At least from what it says, they are deadly except in rare cases, but still scary none-the-less. I think it would be cool to keep some scorpions in a terrarium, of course I say that because we don't have them around here. I wouldn't keep them though because I have kids and would take a chance on something happening, even a non-poisonous one.

I'm your density
    I just killed a black widow Sunday. It crawled out of my neighbor's trash can (she's a hoarder and her son has been coming over periodically to thin out her clutter).

I brought a scorpion home from the Sierras once, rolled up in my tent footprint.

We get a house centipede in the house once in a while:

A sting from one of these can cause minor irritation, like a bee sting. They're beneficial as they prey on less desirable pests. To me, they're just creepy. Cats love 'em, though.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Hi.
    Love this thread. I wanted to be an entomologist when I was younger.

I caught a scorpion once that had lost its stinger. We had a good time holding it and feeding it some crickets before letting it go a few days later.

I also have a 18 or 19 year old tarantula at my brother's house.