mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Interesting tale from the crypt of game development

Or maybe level design.. or perhaps me just dicking off. It's up in the air atm.

Anyways, designing a psychological horror game that will implement both the oculus rift and the razer hydra. No npc's.. its just you in the game.

A bit of background on it - the character height is 6ft. The ceiling height is 8 ft. Width of each passage is 3 feet. Since it's in early design phase, the flashlight (which will be controlled with the hydra) is just a spotlight in front of the player (early test build - not even in alpha yet).

So far, it has 2 floors (out of the 250+ I'm planning), and is a maze-type dungeon. Background white-noise from a generator sound effects file and footsteps are the only sound effects so far.

So last night, after getting to bed late / early this morning for a 1.5 hour nap before work.. I had a damn nightmare that I was in the game being chased around by one of those nurses from Silent Hill.

Maybe the idea / gameplay will actually catch on? And that was just using a monitor (not a VR HMD).. the claustrophobia effect would be hugely enhanced with that + the hydra....

I hope I don't fall asleep at the wheel otw home in an hour

human dehumidifier
    I'm not a gamer but I saw a game once that sounded similar except you were outside in the woods and could only see what your light shined on
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

High Desert MTBer
    I once payed Sonic the hedgehog on a Sega with my step son... nothing since... I am of no use to you! Oh, I did finish the Leather Goddesses of Phobos on Infocom once, but that was a text game, using a lot of imagination
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Not a gamer but I'm into role playing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I'm not a gamer but I saw a game once that sounded similar except you were outside in the woods and could only see what your light shined on
    Slenderman

human dehumidifier
    OK, Slenderman, sounds about right to me.

The kids were here last night, I should've had them read the OP and decipher it for me.

FWIW, I missed both the video generation and the BMX generation. Just not things I ever did.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well, the translation is basically:

I'm developing a game that involves the player being in a maze of 50-250+ levels, with only a flashlight to help him navigate the maze. Then I had a nightmare that I was the one in the maze.

basically.