sympathy for society

Inspiration... What inspires you?

What inspires you? Video, picture, quote, mentor ect..?

I have many things, but this kid has been one for awhile now. I have been following Sam for a few years now, online and on TV. He was truly an amazing human with the best outlook on life I have ever seen given his circumstance. Unfortunately he passed a few days ago at the age of 17, but three months ago he gave a speech for Ted-x. If you have 12 minutes this is a must watch.

"We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ awesome, sad he's gone.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

sympathy for society
    He was sure awesome. Progeria is a disease that advances aging, and I feel it advances the mind too. That little man had more thought and passion in his words than many "inspirational speakers". Wise well beyond his years.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    He was sure awesome. Progeria is a disease that advances aging, and I feel it advances the mind too. That little man had more thought and passion in his words than many "inspirational speakers". Wise well beyond his years.
    I once watched a special on TV about the disease and he was in the program.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

sympathy for society
    Hawg-
    :

So? Is nobody here inspired by anything? Are you all lifeless souls?

Front Range, Colorado
    Just an amazing human and I'm very sad that he passed.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    The older I get the more I'm inspired by everyday average Joe's/Jane's going about the business of doing the thankless work of making the world run as smoothly as possible, each according to his or her own abilities. Just watching a person who is excellent at their job, whatever the job, is inspiring. Seeing a parent struggle to raise children as best as possible is inspiring. Seeing folks sacrifice for their communities is inspiring. People who distrust fear are inspiring. More and more the little things inspire me. I guess that's age talking. I would say reading philosophy inspires me, but then I'd sound like a jerk.

All that said, to this day, if I see video of that autistic kid hitting all those three pointers in the high school basketball game, I bawl my eyes out for like the umpteenth time.

edit: Some time back I started a similar thread, and this is the link I wanted to share: Video: Afghan Cycles Trailer
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

pin it
    That was a thoughtful presentation, thanks for sharing sodak! There were many inspiring moments and it's a nice legacy for such a brief life

One of my own personal favorite quotes that is similar to Sam Berns philosophy for a happy life is “Never let the odds keep you from pursuing what you know in your heart you were meant to do”. ~ Satchel Paige
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

High Desert MTBer
    ^^ SD's post above inspires me, Sam is truly amazing, and I am blown away by being surprised at how incredible so many people can be when you might not expect it... Those encounters give me great hope and a lot of strength, and I am very grateful to all of those inspirational humans!

Cats inspire me too!
    It's all Here. Now.

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    The older I get the more I'm inspired by everyday average Joe's/Jane's going about the business of doing the thankless work of making the world run as smoothly as possible, each according to his or her own abilities. Just watching a person who is excellent at their job, whatever the job, is inspiring. Seeing a parent struggle to raise children as best as possible is inspiring. Seeing folks sacrifice for their communities is inspiring. People who distrust fear are inspiring. More and more the little things inspire me. I guess that's age talking. I would say reading philosophy inspires me, but then I'd sound like a jerk.

I feel the same way. As I get older I see and recognize more things in everyday life that make me smile or give me hope. Things I would have walked right by a few years ago without even glancing. Someone defying the odds and pursuing happiness regardless is my favorite.

mtbr member
    It's always the ones that we overlook that possibly deserve our appreciation the most.

I would add that my son inspires me, happiest bugger in the world, super jealous. I'm inspired by my sis who just passed her 1 yr sober date. I'm inspired by those who don't complain, shut up, put up and get it done. The great outdoors, the real outdoors not the movie and I do love the movie, is simply awe inspiring if you allow yourself to look with the eyes of child and not the grumpy disgruntled adult we sometimes can be. I'm inspired to do housework or chores after a good ride, weird I know.
    No fuss with the MUSS