Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668

    Identity Theft arrrrggggg

    Apparently I have been applying online at Walmart, Sears, AT&T, Staples and Best Buy!!!

    Yeah RIGHT!! IF I was applying for credit it would be for BIKE STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I HATE Thieves!!

    35min on the phone to lock down my ssn arrgggg
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  2. #2
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,718
    painful
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,292
    was there just this past xmas
    like net said...painful

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zomby Woof (MCM700)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    973
    Although that didn't happen to me but once I got a call from Citibank about my credit card. In fact I didn't trust that call so I called them back with the phone number on the back of the credit card and I immediately got the credit alert message.

    Apparently someone had a card with my number on it and tried to make a few purchases. But the didn't succeed because Citibank was on the alert. It was in CA and I'm in GA. They cancelled the card immediately and sent me a new one the next day. I hope the scumbag that paid for my credit card number lost money on that purchase.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    Pain in the arse for sure! But now I have a firewall set up on my SSN so if any of the "big 3" get a hit on my SSN they will ping me for verification.

    I spend my whole life working and earning my $$ and stuff.. thieves that steel from the common citizen should be SHOT! OK OK maybe just cut one arm off or something drastic like that. Shoot the people that hurt woman and children and make the thieves watch them die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Man I need too RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

    Testosterone overload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,292
    it's seems beer:30 is at hand, Burt. the one in your avatar looks good!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    it's seems beer:30 is at hand, Burt. the one in your avatar looks good!
    Hell yeah buddy!! Well I guess I have to wait until after work!! Damn Corp. USA no drinking at work policy or something... Booooo hehehe
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  8. #8
    Ho'lier than thou
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,706
    I'm slightly less prone to become a victim of identity thieves due to my weird legal name. But I was burglarized this past week.

    "Protect and serve" guys are too busy sitting at the side of highway generating revenue, and we have to spend thousands of dollars on security systems and credit monitoring to protect what we earned from low life scumbags. Sad world we're living in.

    EDIT: I made the "Protect and serve" guys remark out of frustration and my past experiences with Spanaway, WA PD. I'd like to make an apology here towards Mohave Co. Sheriff's Dept. I found out yesterday they are doing some investigations. Thank you!
    Last edited by Katz; 03-26-2015 at 10:41 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I'm slightly less prone to become a victim of identity thieves due to my weird legal name. But I was burglarized this past week.

    "Protect and serve" guys are too busy sitting at the side of highway generating revenue, and we have to spend thousands of dollars on security systems and credit monitoring to protect what we earned from low life scumbags. Sad world we're living in.
    Very frustrating for sure!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  10. #10
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    31,471
    I'm lucky in that nobody wants to be a dirt junkie.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    hahahaha SO I should do a legal name change to something unlike any name EVER!!

    When I was younger and at places you have to sign in upon entering I would write Ted Zeppelin!

    LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  12. #12
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,737
    Has the "IRS" tried to arrest anyone yet?

    My wife got worried. Told her that the government always contacts citizens through letters, not threatening phone calls.

    Can't believe people fall for these scammers.

  13. #13
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,747

    Identity Theft arrrrggggg

    Ugh. It takes forever and a ton of paperwork and phone calls to get this crap sorted. I'm just dreading the day it happens to me. And it's inevitable.
    Sorry Burt! You have the right attitude though!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Sucks, Burt. Hopefully they'll catch the bastards.

  15. #15
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    31,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Sucks, Burt. Hopefully they'll catch the bastards.
    Yes all joking aside Burt that's a devastating long lasting nightmare to deal with. I hope you get it sorted out and the scum bags are caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  16. #16
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,464
    Major bummer. Even more of a pain are the scammers who are filing bogus tax returns to siphon off your $$$!

    I put a security freeze on my Equifax credit bureau data years ago (https://www.freeze.equifax.com) because it is the most commonly checked (of the three major credit services) for store cards, auto loans, etc.

    For $25, you can freeze your credit. From then on, it costs $25 to unfreeze for either a specific company to conduct a credit check (if you are applying for a car loan, credit card, mortgage) or just unfreeze credit checks from anyone for a specified period of time.

    If anyone tries to check your credit when it is frozen, the request will be declined and Equifax will send you a notification in the mail. Doesn't get much better than that and it's definitely a better line of defense than the credit monitoring scams.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    When I spoke with the rep at TransUnion, he told me he has set up my SSN to be tagged as "verify first" before any application for credit can be approved. I have a password now that I have to verbally give to "them" before a application can be approved. If my SSN is used in an application for credit my phone will ring. The guy also said the other two credit reporting companies will see this "tag" as well and notify me first before accepting an application for credit. So if my credit is ran to obtain credit, my phone will ring.
    Kind of the same as "freeze" I guess but I didn't have to pay...
    Lucky part is I don't have any debt to take care of from this.... the jerkoffs failed at getting approved with my credentials.
    Thanks ALL and watch your credit reports!!!

    RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  18. #18
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,464
    Yeah that sucks to hear Burt and 53119.

    If the phuckers couldn't get credit with your ssn it sounds like you need to build up your credit rating Burt.

    Seriously it sounds like you dodged a bullet on this one. Now you've got some protection in place.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    ^^ hehehe yeah well my wife and I were part of the 2008 "mortgage crisis". She is a realestate agent and back then we had a bunch of rental houses.. it's all gone now but I did finally buy a home again in 2012 and I have been "rebuilding" ever sense. Man back then I had like 10 ccards and a $14K month mortgage payment ( all the houses added up and incoming rent paid most of it)so glad it's all gone... way to much stress and we did not know what we were doing.. just doing it!!
    Now it's cash for everything and living check to check... being broke has it's reward I guess!! hahaha
    So yeah, my "identity" is not the best choice a thief could make!! hehehe
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  20. #20
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    ^^ hehehe yeah well my wife and I were part of the 2008 "mortgage crisis". She is a realestate agent and back then we had a bunch of rental houses.. it's all gone now but I did finally buy a home again in 2012 and I have been "rebuilding" ever sense. Man back then I had like 10 ccards and a $14K month mortgage payment ( all the houses added up and incoming rent paid most of it)so glad it's all gone... way to much stress and we did not know what we were doing.. just doing it!!
    Now it's cash for everything and living check to check... being broke has it's reward I guess!! hahaha
    So yeah, my "identity" is not the best choice a thief could make!! hehehe
    LOL, serves the id thieves right! Definitely sounds like there was at least a bit of a silver lining for you with the meltdown. And now you're on your way to getting firmly back on your feet. Good to hear.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    Yes sir!! Glass half full right!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  22. #22
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,747

    Identity Theft arrrrggggg

    Yeah. Good for you guys. Getting out of a tough financial situation and resetting.

    At least now you have everything in place to prevent whoever is next on the list for announcing that they lost our personal info because they got hacked.

  23. #23
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    31,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    ^^ hehehe yeah well my wife and I were part of the 2008 "mortgage crisis". She is a realestate agent and back then we had a bunch of rental houses.. it's all gone now but I did finally buy a home again in 2012 and I have been "rebuilding" ever sense. Man back then I had like 10 ccards and a $14K month mortgage payment ( all the houses added up and incoming rent paid most of it)so glad it's all gone... way to much stress and we did not know what we were doing.. just doing it!!
    Now it's cash for everything and living check to check... being broke has it's reward I guess!! hahaha
    So yeah, my "identity" is not the best choice a thief could make!! hehehe
    Good to hear your on the right track again.

    At least you still have your classic Blazer, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Good to hear your on the right track again.

    At least you still have your classic Blazer, right?
    OH yes, the Blazer is a life keeper! Take the house, cars, Rv, Wife, Kids...but you touch my truck {squeeky voice} I Kill You!! {end squeeky voice} hehehee

    Thanks OC for letting me vent here... all but water under the bridge now!
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  25. #25
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    When I spoke with the rep at TransUnion, he told me he has set up my SSN to be tagged as "verify first" before any application for credit can be approved. I have a password now that I have to verbally give to "them" before a application can be approved. If my SSN is used in an application for credit my phone will ring. The guy also said the other two credit reporting companies will see this "tag" as well and notify me first before accepting an application for credit. So if my credit is ran to obtain credit, my phone will ring.
    Kind of the same as "freeze" I guess but I didn't have to pay...
    Lucky part is I don't have any debt to take care of from this.... the jerkoffs failed at getting approved with my credentials.
    Thanks ALL and watch your credit reports!!!

    RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cool- thanks for the info. I haven't applied for credit in 5+ years (and no one has tried jacking mine!).

    Looks as though Equifax's fee to do this is varies (free to $15) depending on what state you are in (palm-forehead slap).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  26. #26
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,868
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Has the "IRS" tried to arrest anyone yet?

    My wife got worried. Told her that the government always contacts citizens through letters, not threatening phone calls.

    Can't believe people fall for these scammers.
    Yes, twice.

    The first time, they left VM saying they would call back in the morning, and they did. I had googled their incoming phone number and was ready for them. They started by telling me that the police were ready to come to my house immediately if I wouldn't be paying them immediately. I led them on for a minute, and then asked if they had my gross adjusted income for the year in question handy. Of course, they did not have that at hand ;~)

    I then asked them if their parents knew that they were a chunk of fecal matter wrapped in human skin that would try to scam honest hard working people out of their hard earned money. He tried to keep up the hard ball charade for a minute, and finally asked if I had a middle finger. I replied that I did indeed have two of them, and they were both currently pointed directly at him. He cut loose with a stream of lame expletives (since he had a less than masterful command of the English language) and hung up.

    His 'supervisor' called back a few minutes later and I had some more fun with him until he too melted down and hung up on me. I figured the more time I spent with them, the less time they would have to work on others.

    That was about four months ago. They called again a few weeks ago, but have not called back yet :~)

Similar Threads

  1. marzocchi 888 identity help
    By will3554 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
  2. Lost Identity
    By guidog in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 03:04 AM
  3. OT: Does anyone remember identity theft?
    By Dms1818 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM
  4. How Well Does Bank of America Handle Identity Theft?
    By Jnthomps08 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 02:32 PM
  5. 1994-95 K2 Identity Crisis
    By akawags in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.