Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    93

    I work with idiots...AKA how not to use rubber gloves

    OK, so I just watched one of my co-workers don some rubber gloves for interacting with a known infectious disease patient, then leave the room and go to a computer in a common area and begin working with the keyboard and mouse....WHILE STILL WEARING THE SAME RUBBER GLOVES!!!

    Fookin' a people, rubber gloves are to help prevent the spread of infection, not just preventing you from getting infected. Now I get to be the ******* who has to yet AGAIN give a lecture on proper use of PPE (personal protective equipment).

    ...and people wonder why I wash my hands like 20 times a day while at work...

    -RW

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    345
    Just tell him that if he does it again, he doesn't get to wear gloves anymore.

  3. #3
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,156
    borrow his gloves and give him a rectal exam
    I am slow therefore I am

  4. #4
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,593
    Put your gloves on, stick your finger up your ass, then go shake hands with the clown, after he's watched you with the whole procedure... Clear as mud, right? Point made. Then type in a post here, on his/her keyboard on their smartphone, while wearing the gloves.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    He should have to give the brief.

    Where I work, if someone breaks rules pertaining to PPE and safety, they get to do the next briefing on it. Standing in front of everyone lets them know that person screwed up and how, and makes that person embarassed and less likely to do it again. A little public humility never hurt anyone.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    He should have to give the brief.

    Where I work, if someone breaks rules pertaining to PPE and safety, they get to do the next briefing on it. Standing in front of everyone lets them know that person screwed up and how, and makes that person embarassed and less likely to do it again. A little public humility never hurt anyone.
    As entertaining as the other suggestions have been, I think this has some real merit. Thanks for the idea joshh!

    -RW

    ...and FWIW...it was a female. I'm almost a little surprised everyone so far had assumed a male.

  7. #7
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,908
    I would simply mention to her the points you raise in the original post. She might not understand the full "why" for the practice.

    If she isn't sure, do a culture study on some of the devices she touches.

  8. #8
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,934

    Some things you just can't fix…

    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,176
    My work has a similar deal. If you are involved in an accident or are injured on the job, you have to talk about it during the weekly safety meeting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  10. #10
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,216
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    He should have to give the brief.

    Where I work, if someone breaks rules pertaining to PPE and safety, they get to do the next briefing on it. Standing in front of everyone lets them know that person screwed up and how, and makes that person embarassed and less likely to do it again. A little public humility never hurt anyone.
    Amen to this. Nothing forces you to learn it more than teaching it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post
    As entertaining as the other suggestions have been, I think this has some real merit. Thanks for the idea joshh!

    -RW

    ...and FWIW...it was a female. I'm almost a little surprised everyone so far had assumed a male.
    No problem RW. It seems to work well. Definitely cuts down on repeat offender and incidents.

    You shouldn't be too surprised we all thought it was a male. Us men are stupid like that. And women are usually much cleaner in public.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

  12. #12
    pin it
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,789
    In the latest Infection Control quarterly report for hand hygiene compliance , one of my unit 's scored 100% and the other unit scored 93%.. I was very proud of the staff's accomplishment because our scores in the past were average

    What makes this improvement so significant is that other units that had to be quarantined due to cold and flu outbreaks, all scored poorly in the compliance

    Tomorrow I am bringing in some treats for the staff to celebrate our success
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  13. #13
    help with the zip please
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post
    As entertaining as the other suggestions have been, I think this has some real merit. Thanks for the idea joshh!

    -RW

    ...and FWIW...it was a female. I'm almost a little surprised everyone so far had assumed a male.
    that's probably because most of the respondents had been blokes, and they know how hygienic they are

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    In the latest Infection Control quarterly report for hand hygiene compliance , one of my unit 's scored 100% and the other unit scored 93%.. I was very proud of the staff's accomplishment because our scores in the past were average

    What makes this improvement so significant is that other units that had to be quarantined due to cold and flu outbreaks, all scored poorly in the compliance

    Tomorrow I am bringing in some treats for the staff to celebrate our success
    Congrats on your staff's scores!

    I hope to see some improvement in our department after the discussion I had with the department manager today.

    Infection control isn't even my job, I deal with Radiation Safety...but it's impossible for me to ignore basic safety issues any time I see them.

    -RW

  15. #15
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,934

    We the people ...

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    In the latest Infection Control quarterly report for hand hygiene compliance , one of my unit 's scored 100% and the other unit scored 93%.. I was very proud of the staff's accomplishment because our scores in the past were average

    What makes this improvement so significant is that other units that had to be quarantined due to cold and flu outbreaks, all scored poorly in the compliance

    Tomorrow I am bringing in some treats for the staff to celebrate our success
    Good job!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  16. #16
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    I'm convinced half the population has a below average IQ
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  17. #17
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,567
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post

    ...and FWIW...it was a female. I'm almost a little surprised everyone so far had assumed a male.

    wait, waht?!?!
    women can be doctors?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    I'm convinced half the population has a below average IQ


    ...and the other half frequently behave as if they do...
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,326
    Every time I see someone In a public bathroom go straight from a stall to the door--completely passing the sink--I remind my kids to always use a paper towel on the door handle. I know there are lots of germy things out there, but that one is just disgusting.
    whatever...

  20. #20
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,593
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Classic! And so true, it's painful. Do I owe you some rep, or vice versa?
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  21. #21
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,593
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    In the latest Infection Control quarterly report for hand hygiene compliance , one of my unit 's scored 100% and the other unit scored 93%.. I was very proud of the staff's accomplishment because our scores in the past were average

    What makes this improvement so significant is that other units that had to be quarantined due to cold and flu outbreaks, all scored poorly in the compliance

    Tomorrow I am bringing in some treats for the staff to celebrate our success
    Positive reinforcement and recognition for a job well done is a win win situation for all involved.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  22. #22
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    Endorphin Junkie
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Classic! And so true, it's painful. Do I owe you some rep, or vice versa?
    I repped him for us both
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  23. #23
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    Endorphin Junkie
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,011
    I think society has it backwards. Why wash your hands after urinating? Shouldn't you wash your hands before urinating? I don't want to touch my penis with dirty hands! I'm unsure what my hands has been exposed to throughout the day, but I know what my penis has been exposed to each day! Is it dirty? I hope not! Did historic people urinate on their hands and that is what caused this washing after urinating epidemic? Who knows! One of life's big mysteries lol
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  24. #24
    pin it
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Positive reinforcement and recognition for a job well done is a win win situation for all involved.
    Thanks everyone!

    When our scores were low, one of the key learning was getting the staff perspective: It was important to find out why compliancy was low because staff thought they were following protocol.

    After investigating, I learned that the hand sanitizers inside the rooms were not being filled, so staff were coming out into the corridor to sanitize their hands which was not accepted protocol. The staff rationale was that they were santizing their hands but it was not really acceptable practice. They should have been washing their hands at the point of care.

    Anyway corrections were made and now all hand sanitizers are refilled on a regular basis.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  25. #25
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,567
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Thanks everyone!

    When our scores were low, one of the key learning was getting the staff perspective: It was important to find out why compliancy was low because staff thought they were following protocol.

    After investigating, I learned that the hand sanitizers inside the rooms were not being filled, so staff were coming out into the corridor to sanitize their hands which was not accepted protocol. The staff rationale was that they were santizing their hands but it was not really acceptable practice. They should have been washing their hands at the point of care.

    Anyway corrections were made and now all hand sanitizers are refilled on a regular basis.
    catastrophic plague averted by gallon jug of purell!! Will our species resourcefulness ever cease?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •