Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

I splurged on black friday - bike related - you have been warned

So, I live in the mid-west and we have some chilly days. It even snows from time to time. I have been cycling more over the past year throughout the cold or "off season". I have a core group of buddies and we don't stop riding when it gets cold. On a ride, last year, I took my shoes, socks, plastic bags, and shoe covers off just to warm my feet up with my hands. They got cold!

I say, no more! I bought some Shimano MW81 cycling boots. Now I just hope they live up to the hype and I got them on sale with free shipping. I'm excited! No more cold feet for me!
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice bro! I live in the midwest and this will be my 1st cycling during winter. I was gonna use shoe cover and toe chemical warmers but I may spurge and get boots.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I have used shoe covers, wool socks, plastic bags, but I haven't used chemical warmers. Some of my rides last three hours or longer if we start talking and I do not know of any chemical warmers that last that long. It's fun. I would rather be outside any day than inside on the trainer. I can't stand to ride it very long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I bought new shifters, they weren't on sale, but I needed them. (Shinfo-sh!tty information)
    Cheers

Ride More, Whine Less
    I bought a chain whip, while fighting the urge to get the Garmin 500 in need of a good home.

AZ
    banned
    I bought a hand saw. But on the up side I found an entire case of "I don't give two fcuks about shopping" so its a win.

official eMpTyBRain
    I used a paintball gun, a wrist rocket w/ball bearings, and my BB gun at the local Walmart and wounded 73 shoppers.

All in all, very productive.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I bought a hand saw. But on the up side I found an entire case of "I don't give two fcuks about shopping" so its a win.
    Same here, I got within sight of the mall and saw the madness. And it wasn't hard to keep on driving.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I was at Wal-Mart at 8 pm last night and it was madness.

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I was at Wal-Mart at 8 pm last night and it was madness.
    Damn, I missed it. Madness is awesome.

The White Jeff W
    A second set of clipless pedals and some CO2 cartridge & a T shirt to put me over $50 bucks for free shipping
    No moss...

let's see, yesterday I managed to get a draft of all 230 pages of my thesis put together and to my adviser after pulling 2 all nighters in the past week.

then I stopped in my LBS to see if they had their expansion open yet. they just got their parking lot redone, doubling the number of parking spaces, and the exterior part of the addition got finished just before that. the interior is not done yet, but they were slow so I chatted up the lone employee who was there mid-afternoon.

then I treated myself to a dinner out and a beer and then went home and slept for about 16 hours.

today, I ordered some On-One Fleegle Pro handlebars for my mtb. The current bars I have are too straight. That wasn't an issue when I bought them years ago, but I think my reduced flexibility makes them uncomfortable now. The Fleegle Pros are the same width, but much more sweep.

ouch....
    Yes, warm toes are great , but you know what is better???

Warm hands! Just used a set of moosemitts for the first time today, 60 miles of gravel riding in low 30 temps. Hands were nice and warm!!!
    Riding.....

Talk to me, Goose.
    I was pretty disappointed in the black Friday sales. There weren't many sales for stuff I was looking for. All well, still hope for cyber Monday!
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yes, warm toes are great , but you know what is better???

Warm hands! Just used a set of moosemitts for the first time today, 60 miles of gravel riding in low 30 temps. Hands were nice and warm!!!
    I have the warm hands covered. I have some Peal Izumi lobster claw gloves. I haven't gotten to use them yet, but I can tell they're going to be very warm.

I dd what you see there.
    I wanted to buy a bike. I've been searching online and I want to try a 29er. So I focused on the Cannondale Scalpel 3 29er. Decent build, comes with an alloy frame and a Lefty (all things I want). According to my LBS they're out of stock, but he then offered a 26" Scalpel 3. I didn't know such a bike existed and politefully turned the offer down. Subsequent online check after and it turns out that it's a 2012 model but it comes with a carbon frame with a lower end build (only XT rear der. and SLX other bits - if it was full XT I might consider it) and a Lefty. So as I posted in my brackets there, it turns out that the price he wanted for it would have made it a really good deal. Alas I don't really want a carbon frame so I think I'm still going to wait and see if I can get the 2013 29er.

I did end up buying a new desktop CPU though.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate