mtbr member

As I sit in my cubicle...

So I'm sitting here at work waiting for the right time to put in my 2 weeks notice. I don't have any real issues with my boss or coworkers, but management higher up the corporate ladder has been getting to me over the last few years. My branch office seems to be going a different direction and pursuing work that doesn't really interest me anymore. I truly hope there are no hard feelings and I feel like it's been a great 6 year run. No doubt there will be a few die hard lifer types who will feel the need to let me know that I'm making the wrong decision. I'll just smile and nod. I can't afford to burn any bridges in such a small/close-knit industry.

I landed what I'll call a "realistic dream job". No...no...I'm not going to be a professional mountain biker who brews beer, but given my current field of work it's really the best position I could be in. I'm not so much nervous to quit, but a bit anxious to get it over and slog through the next 2 weeks. I figure I'll wait till I'm ready to leave for the day before I drop the bomb, that way I shouldn't catch too much shrapnel until Monday morning. That'll also give the lunch beers some time to wear off so I don't say anything stupid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Its like a band-aid, best to rip it off and get over with it. I did the same thing last year after 10 years at the same company. Great boss, very understanding of any personal issues that would come up in life, but the pay wasn't enough for a family of 4 and for what I was doing compared to everyone else in the same industry. I do miss what I used to do, but sometimes its just better to move on.

I didn't do it
    What are your plans for the next job?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

****** to the dirt
    I would do it this route with flare

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    I do bridge inspection. Over the last few years we've lost good senior level inspectors from our office and haven't won much work since. A few of them moved to another local firm and have been doing really good work. They're looking to expand the inspection department there and I'll get in on the ground. The company is well established in the inspection field, but this branch hasn't done much until recently. I've got about 4 years in the inspection industry and feel like I've plateaued here. The guys above me are all retired state employees. They retire from the state with pension then get hired by consultants to help win work with their connections from the state. Only problem is a few are full time so they throw them these inspection contracts to run. I'm at a larger company now and there are so many people they can afford to pigeon hole people into niches. I'm ready and willing to start running jobs, scheduling, coordinating with the districts, coordinate access equipment, etc. I had a meeting w/ my boss about 8 months ago letting them know I wasn't happy.

The new job will include me doing all of these thing. I'll also be working with some people whom I really respect in the industry and who will be great mentors. The opportunity to advance vs where I'm at now is what I'm most excited about.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a solid move. Good luck! Keep on keeping us safe, too assuming the bridges whence you refer are road-related vs. the dental type...
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I do bridge inspection. Over the last few years we've lost good senior level inspectors from our office and haven't won much work since. A few of them moved to another local firm and have been doing really good work. They're looking to expand the inspection department there and I'll get in on the ground. The company is well established in the inspection field, but this branch hasn't done much until recently. I've got about 4 years in the inspection industry and feel like I've plateaued here. The guys above me are all retired state employees. They retire from the state with pension then get hired by consultants to help win work with their connections from the state. Only problem is a few are full time so they throw them these inspection contracts to run. I'm at a larger company now and there are so many people they can afford to pigeon hole people into niches. I'm ready and willing to start running jobs, scheduling, coordinating with the districts, coordinate access equipment, etc. I had a meeting w/ my boss about 8 months ago letting them know I wasn't happy.

The new job will include me doing all of these thing. I'll also be working with some people whom I really respect in the industry and who will be great mentors. The opportunity to advance vs where I'm at now is what I'm most excited about.
    If you're set up with a new job then definitely be looking forward to that! Sounds like you'll be much happier there. The current environment you describe sounds very frustrating so I can see why you would want to leave. It seems like you have a pretty good relationship with your immediate supervisor. People move on all the time and so he/she will understand. I imagine the boss will be very understanding.

Now that you mention it I recall that you posted some pics of you doing bridge work awhile ago. I thought it was a pretty cool looking work environment. Don't sweat giving notice and get ready for the new career path.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Rabid Lana fan
    Good luck at the new place!

Seems like you thought it all through, and are making the right move.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    If you like the people keep the bridges. Anyone see the last episode or Parks N Rec? They did a great follow up on how she said bye to everyone. You don't have to per say fire at everyone, but just tell them the truth in an honest tone.

"hey tony, you're a good guy but your work ethic is not always the best. I hope to see you when you try harder"

mtbr member
    Well it's done. I read through the posts before I walked in there to get some confidence!

They said they hate to see me go, but also acknowledged that they couldn't keep me busy with the type of work that I wanted to do. We'll see what the bosses boss has to say next week, he's going to be the one to bust balls if anyone does.

Time to get drunk and celebrate! haha

I didn't do it
    Well it's done. I read through the posts before I walked in there to get some confidence!

They said they hate to see me go, but also acknowledged that they couldn't keep me busy with the type of work that I wanted to do. We'll see what the bosses boss has to say next week, he's going to be the one to bust balls if anyone does.

Hell ya brother! Take this job and shove it.

Hey, if the higher ups give you static just let it roll of your back. Don't want to burn any bridges (no pun intended - seriously). You only got two weeks to deal with any attitude and its done. And if they do give you problems then yeah, it was time to go.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

****** to the dirt

with any luck if you are going to their competitor they might just pay you the 2 weeks and you get a vacation out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Remember to MILK your sick time and vacation time!

Its the beginning of the year so you probably have a lot of it left!

mtbr member
    Sick and vacation time accrue per pay. I only have 18 or so hours of that and it will all be paid out. We get all of our personal days at the beginning of the year but dont get paid out for those. I burned mine for new years vacation so they were gone before I got em basically. There will be many stort days in my future. I'm thinking 8:30 to 3:00 with a nice lunch will be my new office hours for a couple of weeks.

The White Jeff W
    Very cool, man. Im also close to landing a new job. Can't wait to cut ties with the sh*tshow I work at now.
    No moss...

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Sounds like a smart move. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0