Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

I Got SWINDLED Today!!! Another RANT!!!

About mid morning today for no particular reason, my ISP cut me off. I waited for a good 4 hours in case there was a service outage in my area. When I called and got connected with tech support, we went through the usual routine tests and checks. They couldn't find a problem.

At that time, the technician stated that I should consider moving up to their upgraded service. She also said, we will eventually be transferring all remaining accounts over to the new upgraded system. REALLY?! So, I bit. The fact is, it's a much faster service for not much more money. I'm a cheap skate when it comes to the electronic frontier so it's a big deal for me to accept their offer (discounted rate for 12 months). So I proceeded to have my service upgraded. This is supposed to take place tomorrow.

At the end of the transaction, I asked the tech to please continue to research the issue with my current service so that I could hopefully have service until the change over. She said she would look into it and call me back later.

Not much time had passed by and she did indeed call back. She stated that my old service was now working again. I asked what they did to finally fix it. She stated that they made an adjustment to my account.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, companies have no scruples. ****, no one's got any scruples. Without the scruples, great ****ings such as this occur.

Rogue Exterminator
    I will let you fill in the blanks.

I Got SWINDLED Today!!! Another RANT!!!-hook-line-sinker-1202.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I will let you fill in the blanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hook-line-and-sinker-1202.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	826112
    That has two meaning to be since I am a well seasoned fisherman.

Not that I can prove what they did but isn't that fraud???

sympathy for society
    That's kind of BS man. I do understand them needing/wanting everyone on the same "upgraded" systems. One system to control and maintain is much cheaper than two for them. They should have just switched you for free for 12 months though. They set the bait and you bit like a hungry ol' catfish. lol...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Taggart, realizing the town is a fake, yells to his men -

"We've been suckered in,"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    That's kind of BS man. I do understand them needing/wanting everyone on the same "upgraded" systems. .
    We had a awesome HP printer for awhile... untill it went wonky. Called HP tech, told them the problem.
    Them - " we can "repair" that for you. It will be $175 dollars for the disc."
    Me - Why would i need a disc?
    Them - "to reset the software"
    Me- It's a week out of warranty and now there is a software problem?
    Them-- Yes, that's correct.
    Me - Never mind, it's going in the trash.

It's all a scam.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Front Range, Colorado
    Sorry Hawg I couldn't help myself.
    AC/DC - Got You By The Balls - YouTube
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

b a n n e d
    Oh, if you think that's bad listen to this . . . . .

First the backstory: We've had DirectTV for ~3 years now while living in LA. I'm moving to Vegas, into a community with an HOA that does not allow satellite dishes. Fine. I kinda hate DTV anyway. I call to end my service and after some mild to moderate pressure to stay, we finally part ways. Done deal, right? Wrong.

Fast forward 1 week. I get a call from DTVs corporate retention department, this time applying some serious pressure to get me to stay. The girl on the phone (who sounded awful cute and bubbly) was doling out discounts and credits left and right. By the time she caught her breath, my monthly service with all the bells and whistles was down to about $40 a month for 12 months (make note for those of you who have DirectTV and like it - call to cancel, set a date and wait for the retention department to call you). Then she throws out there "Plus you'll get to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket package!"

(insert scratching records and squealing tires)

Me: Uhhhh . . . . I've never had the NFL package
    DTV: Sure you have! This is Mr. 007, right?
    Me: Yes, and I've never had the NFL package.
    DTV: Are you sure? Are you at home, can you check?
    (walks over to the TV and turns it on)
    Me: What channel is it?
    DTV: 212
    (tries to tune to 212)
    Me: Nope. Not there.
    DTV: Are you sure? Try punching it in manually from outside the guide.
    (punches in 212 and damn . . . there's the fuggin' NFL channel, clear as day)
    Me: Uhhh . . . WTF?!
    DTV: See! I told you it was there!
    Me: Tell me something . . . what part of you thinks I am happy about this, seeing as how I had to figure out how to tune in to it.
    DTV: So wait, you didn't know you had it?
    (facepalm)
    Me: NO!
    (silence)
    Me: How much is this per month?! AND HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN PAYING FOR IT?!!?
    DTV: Uhhhh . . . let me get my manager.

(elevator hold)

DTV: So here's what I can do for you. I will take off last months charge and add another discount of . . . .
    Me: Wait a minute. You didn't answer my questions. HOW MUCH IS THE NFL SUNDAY TICKET PER MONTH AND HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN PAYING FOR IT?!!?
    DTV: I don't know sir.
    Me: Well perhaps you can put someone on the phone who does.
    DTV: One moment please while I get my manager.

(elevator hold)

DTV: So here's what I can do for you. I can . . . .
    Me. Stop right there. If you think I'm EVER coming back to DTV you are an idiot. I know you are just trying to do your job, but you need to throw some common sense in here. I want ALL charges for the NFL Sunday Ticket refunded, and I want to retain my cancelation date. I also want to be removed from ALL of your call lists immediately.

I still have no idea how I got signed up for this, or how long I had been charged for the service, but I was livid on the phone. At this point I've requested copies of all my bills for the last 36 months.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    It's all a scam.
    Your probably right. I was basing my comment from my work experience. I deal with computer systems and networks and we are always changing stuff. Consolidating software platforms is an easy way to cut costs for the company. In this case, it's a cost saver for the ISP but it's costing Hawg more. That's where the scam is at, it's BS.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    I am going to officially rename our beautiful country and I am also creating a new slogan:

Ready?

Are you sure?

Got your listening ears on?

Good.

Here goes...

"Welcome to Scamerica!!! Please bend over so that we can ratfvck you at our convenince."

sympathy for society
    ^ Coin that and sell it to Micheal Moore!! You'll make some money!

Flaccid Member
    I know the feeling of a railroad job up the old poop chute.

Went round and round with those same fvckers at Time Warner Cable with a Cable card for our tv, and they rat boned us with a stupid set top box when our TV was Cable Card ready as required by the FTC. All about generating higher revenue streams. Decided to fvck them all and bought an digital Over the Air Antenna for $32 on Fleabay, and was done with it. I get enough channels now without paying those schmucks a cent.

I made the biggest fricken scene in front of all the people in the office, customers, waiting in line, about the scam they were pulling, then filed a few complaints, had many others do the same, filed a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission. Sometimes you gotta pull the plug, and the rug that's underneath those bahstids.

Well, Ahawg, I hope you aren't still with America Online or NetZero or Juneau.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Well, Ahawg, I hope you aren't still with America Online or NetZero or Juneau.
    I think he's using Prodigy . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    In my case, it's a company whose name uses 3 letters with an "&" in between the 2nd and 3rd letter.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    That has two meaning to be since I am a well seasoned fisherman.

Not that I can prove what they did but isn't that fraud???
    well, did you see if the outage was legit?
    e.g. Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?

Also, they will have records of legit outages - my brother in law is a Comcast guy (but currently asleep? [late]) so I'm not gonna bug him right now.

My real guess is that you did not get swindled, and there was an outage - OK well, you did not do any homework, and the SALES person took advantage of a naive customer.

If you are that naive to not check for legit outages and then rashly upgrade in hopes of a fix, well ... go sit in the corner.

I mean ... what you are implying in your OP (at least the way I read it) is that they shut you down - your IP.... to get you to upgrade.
    Maybe I read it wrong, but you may want to make that dunce cap out of tinfoil - (coming from a 'conspiracy guy')
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Flaccid Member
    Anal, Twat's & Tits? Yup, they bend you over... hard.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I still have no idea how I got signed up for this, or how long I had been charged for the service, but I was livid on the phone. At this point I've requested copies of all my bills for the last 36 months.
    I used to work for Direct TV.
    Next to Dish Network they are the worst company in the world to work for.

Anyways, they hooked you with the NFL Sunday Ticket for free when you signed up.
    It was probably free for the first year and it was up to you to call and cancel it.
    You did not and they continued giving it to you but not for free.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just bend over and take it like a man.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    well, did you see if the outage was legit?
    e.g. Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?

Also, they will have records of legit outages - my brother in law is a Comcast guy (but currently asleep? [late]) so I'm not gonna bug him right now.

My real guess is that you did not get swindled, and there was an outage - OK well, you did not do any homework, and the SALES person took advantage of a naive customer.

If you are that naive to not check for legit outages and then rashly upgrade in hopes of a fix, well ... go sit in the corner.

I mean ... what you are implying in your OP (at least the way I read it) is that they shut you down - your IP.... to get you to upgrade.
    Maybe I read it wrong, but you may want to make that dunce cap out of tinfoil - (coming from a 'conspiracy guy')
    I believe they did EXACTLY this. First they asked me to disconnect everything and reboot. Since that didn't help, they checked the line. Since there wasn't an issue there, they checked for area outages (which had always been the explanation in the past), NO OUTAGE IN MY AREA this time, though. From there it spiraled downhill...

The whole point of this thread is: If you can't even trust the BIG companies, who can you trust????

mtbr member
    Is it possible you had exceeded your monthly bandwidth allotment and the tech didn't think to check that? I ask because I have the dreaded AT&T internet at home and the different speed tiers also include different bandwidth allotments. It's possible that when they upgraded you to the faster speed/higher allotment and made that adjustment in your account it would "fix" your internet for you, if that was actually the issue to begin with.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    Is it possible you had exceeded your monthly bandwidth allotment and the tech didn't think to check that? I ask because I have the dreaded AT&T internet at home and the different speed tiers also include different bandwidth allotments. It's possible that when they upgraded you to the faster speed/higher allotment and made that adjustment in your account it would "fix" your internet for you, if that was actually the issue to begin with.
    Not in my case. I will remain with the same service until they get over here to replace the modem. It's the modem that will speed things up. They told me they would need to do nothing more than that to "upgrade" my service.

That brings up another question...Why can't we just go down to the corner market and by a faster modem and avoid all this BS?

mtbr member
    Umm...you can. I own mine.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    Umm...you can. I own mine.
    But they have to enable the speed from their end, right? Otherwise what's the point?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast