~ B A D A S S ~

I bought a non smartphone phone, and I'm happy

And i like it. Its probably the best "conventional" phone ever created (no ****). I didn't know that when i bought it but now i do.

its called nokia 301 and it has a very bright color so I don't misplace it or forget it somewhere when i'm drunk (which has only in the last year costed me 3 smartphones). What i have realized is that small and compact smarthphones sucks because they are too small to be usable (internet/screen/typing), and big ones (4inch+) that have the bare minimum of usable screen real estate, well they're just too fuking big to wear on you if you don't want them to break, and too heavy. So this is what i got instead.

Name:  Nokia-301-front.png
Views: 1574
Size:  38.7 KB
    I bought a non smartphone phone, and I'm happy-nokia-301.jpg
    Name:  Nokia-301-2.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  28.6 KB

At first I wanted to get the 206, I really wanted to like it but it felt a little cheaper handling it and they happened to cost the same (but in reality the one I got is supposed to be at least 50% more expensive)

Name:  Nokia-206-front.png
Views: 1611
Size:  44.6 KB

But it felt cheap (the 206), the plastic felt like cheap crap plastic and the one i got feels like good and durable high quality plastic. they are however the exact same size but the 206 is a lot less powerful. however the back shell of the 206 is made of good plastic but the entire back and "frame" of the 301 is nice, only the black front and the buttons on the 301 is cheap crap plastic. that being said in 2008 this cheap crap plastic would have still been the best of the best. And its definitely on par with the best smartphones I have seen. (and as everybody knows the best quality plastic is metal, which isn't a plastic at all)

As you can see in the pics it wants to be some kind of smartphone but i turned that **** off the first thing i did, so now its old school meny that only goes up and down. All subfolders are the same. changing settings and similar crap in this phone takes like 1/5 of what it takes in a regular smartphone. The buttons feel really nice with a distinct feel.

Ok the highlights: what does a "regular phone" actually do these days when they are considered outdated relics from like the cold war.

Well the data traffic up and down is just as fast as my last smartphone. 5-6-7megabits or something

it has gps and maps

it has no touchscreen

not waterproof

the resolution is 240x320 and 2,4 inches (and I find it good enough, i would have preferred smaller actually since the phone could have been smaller then).

the color depth of the screen is 18 bit (its only 6 bit and sometimes 8bit on a regular computer lcds and the 8 bit is usually interpolated form 6 bits), 262000 colors as opposed to 16,whatever millions on good smartphones.

it weighs 100 grams, thats quite light, but I had an ericsson like 10 years ago that weighed like 50g and was half the size. I would have considered 70g really really good, if it still had the battery juice.

standby time is about 1000 hours or so on both 2g and 3g

talk time up to 20 hours (on 2g gsm, on 3g its 6 hours), no more charging the phone every day.

dimensions: 114mm tall, 50mm wide and 12,5mm thick and thats about 14mm too tall and 5-7mm too wide to be considered compact imo, but hey there's not like i have 3000 models to choose from today.

It has internet, and all sites render normal, even mtbr which never works properly on android (cant see the left side of the site), but of course i have to zoom in to see anything at all, but it works. this phone is definitely not made for internet surfing but in emergencies I can look up companies/numbers and addresses and ****, and probably news sites

It plays very many formats of audio and video (with crappy resolution of course), well actually it doesn't play flac. But neither did my last smartphone so.

it doesn't have wifi or nfc (whatever now that is). so its per definition a regular phone gsm quad band, wcdma dual band hsupa.

not wireless charging

takes micro sd up to 32gb and it can be encrypted by the phone

ram 64mb like in 1995

shows graphic in JPEG, BMP, PNG, WBMP (what more do you need?)

a lot of email **** so you can be terrorized wherever you might be, and twitter and facebookshit

voip codecs (apparantly) : G.711, G.729, iLBC, G.726

it has a 3mp camera that sucks, fixed focus (=focused on infinity), yeah and that about says it all according to me. 3,2mm f2,8, cloesest distance to not get totally ruined pics is speced at 50cm (of course it will all get ruined anyway no matter what since there is no kind of focusing whatsoever). the only good cameras i have used in phones are the Exmor R sensors in sonys phones, they provide about half the shutter time (or twice the light sensitivity if you wish) for any given level of crappyness compared to other cmoses, so the pics get half as blurry or you can take pics in twice as dark places kinda. the Exmor sensors/chips/whatever is good, but its only good for a phone, don't think anything else. the camera is the biggest let down here, they could at least have crammed in a fuking focusing lens here imo.

it shoots videos too, never gonna use that function though. i think the resolution then is like 20x20 or something

I can record audio in wav if i want, in stereo. I think.

Everything intraphone related is instantaneous as opposed to a smartphone, like in the good old days. startup is fast too. no need for smallers fingers either when typing stuff.

Yeah thats all i think, I have owned at least 15 phones and my first one was an ericsson 337 and that was a very good phone, had it for several years and its probably still working.

Overall I think this one is a good compromise between battery life, size and shape when worn in pocket, weight and needed functionality in 2013. and it was quite cheap too imo, it costed the equivalent of 90 or similar. If this one gets lost no biggie. All in all its rediculously well spent 90 i think.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

ouch....
    Shoulda got a smart-watch-phone
    Riding.....

~ B A D A S S ~
    you mean a swatch?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    you mean a swatch?
    no. not a swatch.

sssssamsung...
    Signature

help with the zip please
    I bought a smart phone because one of us has to be clever

mtbr member
    Smartphones are the worst when trail riding, the signal is great and people always seem to send emails when you're riding.

I switch to a dumb flip phone when riding.

official eMpTyBRain
    car bone, you said you turned the smart phone stuff off on this new phone??? Explain please?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    I don't know after using a smart phone for about 4 - 5 years I don't think a regular phone would fulfill me.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I don't know after using a smart phone for about 4 - 5 years I don't think a regular phone would fulfill me.
    Exactly. I tried to hold off for as long as I could. Now I'm loving the smart phone. Directions/Nav? Check.
    Food reviews? Check.
    Bike maps stored on phone? check.
    All my music? Check
    Ability to scan stuff & email right away? check.
    read forums? Check
    Riding.....

Bro
    Where I do my thinking

I bought a non smartphone phone, and I'm happy

I'm digging my dumbphone too. It's an old Samsung, had it for three or four years I think. It sends and receives text messages and calls just fine, and that's really all I need it for. For some reason it can't receive group messages from smart phones, but that's never been a problem for me. It's nice and compact, has a touchscreen for basic functions and a sliding keyboard for typing longer messages. Don't need nothing else on a phone. I've dropped the phone plenty of times and the only evidence is a few shallow scratches on the back. No scratches or marks on the screen, despite my best drops.

I have an iPod touch 5th gen that I use for other stuff, especially music when I'm driving, using an mp3-cassette adapter.

-Photos taken and message posted, using tapatalk on said iPod.

I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Front Range, Colorado
    If it wasn't for my smart phone 90% of my post's on here would be non existent. I'm sure more than a few of you wish I would have never gotten one.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    car bone, you said you turned the smart phone stuff off on this new phone??? Explain please?
    I actually just changed the look of everything. There was 2 settings that made it all look like year 2002 again. I can still access all that crap, its just presented in a classic fashion, on a meny that you push up or down on and not like it would normally look like on a smartphone. But compared to my latetst phones this phone is pretty stripped as it is but it still has everything you need and use.

I don't want to scroll down to the bottom row and then 4 to the left, click and then another 5 to the right just to change the date or some crap. Now I just scroll down to settings and then change date kinda. You know. like it used to work before smartphones existed.

Ihave no shortcuts that are always visisble for facebook and twitter and all that crap, i don't see whats happening in the calendar on the "front/main page". is see the time and date instead. and if i press menu i come to a roll down meny. or a rolling meny I should say it has absolutely nothing to do with rolldown crap as found on computer operating systems. Its like a nokia 3210 with colors and icons. but it goes one way, up and down. big text.

hope that clears everyhting up.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Exactly. I tried to hold off for as long as I could. Now I'm loving the smart phone. Directions/Nav? Check.
    Food reviews? Check.
    Bike maps stored on phone? check.
    All my music? Check
    Ability to scan stuff & email right away? check.
    read forums? Check
    I can do all that crap but Its not like its happening automatically.

food reviews ok i can do that one for my whole country - it ****ing sucks. done
    music yeah that fits on a sdcard so no loss there.

the rest well. for that to be useful you need a large screen phone.
    I had a 850x450 or something resolution phone and even that i found really irritating surfing the web with and all crap load so slow, and it gets bogged down by flash etc etc etc. Basically I find everything under 12-1400 times at least 750-800px really annoying and totally unsuable, well as unusable as I prefer to wait until i can get hold of a real computer to do what i want to do. I had a 10 inch "netbook" 800x600, gave it away, really annoying and slow computer even though it was the fastest one in its genre when i got it. Now, doing anything on the net except the bare minimum on a phone is just wasting time imo, there are real computers for thisw, with real fast keyboards, mouses and touchpads. I regard surfing the web on a phone, even a good and big one is just a waste of time since everything take at least 10 times longer.

And i value my time. No phones in the entire world are computers so why pretend. they are sluggish slow devices on the end of a sluggish slow line. being manipulated in the most inefficent way possible. Compared to a real computer that is. I even get annoyed by laptops since I find them more sluggish and cumbersome to stationary computers. I want (and demand) things to happen instantly, i mean page should have loaded before i let go of the button.

Specialized sucks ass.

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    Got a flip phone - works great, as a phone, which is all I wanted.
    I even had the text feature disabled - no way I am wasting time trying to type on this thing.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

human dehumidifier
    My boss kept aggravating me for a cell phone number to put on the emergency call list, and I kept telling him I don't have one. He wouldn't believe that I didn't have one and thought I was just being hard to get along with. But really, I didn't have one.

One day he called me and said since I don't have a cell phone, how about giving up your wife's cell number instead, and that drove me to buy the cheapest, cheesiest Tracfone that I could find - an LG flip phone. I think I've made 2 calls on it, only because I was sent on travel and wanted to let my wife know when I arrived and when I left for home. I could've used the hotel phone to do the same thing. Other than that it's been turned off for the past year. But, my boss quit bothering me about it so I've got that going for me.

Clif's note version: I don't understand why people let cell phones dominate their lives, but I'm old, so whatever.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

~ B A D A S S ~
    I didn't have a moblie for about 5 years, and the stationary I used to unhook over the weekend so it would beep busy

Specialized sucks ass.