re member

Huntsville, Alabama

Saw this on the web somewhere, and thought it was funny. You may or may not.

************************************************** ***********************************************
    A Brief History of Huntsville by Matthew Pierce

Huntsville was founded a long time ago by someone who is now dead. In the beginning, the city was called Twickenham. This was before Bridge Street , so it was not a good time to be a resident. Later on the town was renamed Huntsville, because, come on, Twickenham? The name “ Huntsville ” was taken from an Indian word that roughly translates to, “We’re getting out of here, there’s a tornado coming.”

Huntsville was an important part of the Civil War. Confederate forces willingly surrendered the town to the Yankees, who did not know about the tornadoes. The rebels thought this was very funny. Several Yankees were sucked up and landed on Monte Sano, where they remain to this day. They are called Presbyterians.

The first mayor of Huntsville was Wernher Von Braun, who was a scientist who invented the vacuum cleaner. Von Braun came to Huntsville and started inventing rockets, presumably to blow up the tornadoes. He never did figure out how to do this, so he gave up and invented Space Camp. He was very good at inventing things.

Starting in the 1960s, Huntsville was subjected to another invasion. Only this time it wasn't Yankees who were invading, but engineers. These engineers were mostly short men, and all of them drove very fast cars. No one really understood what they did for a living, but they all had lots of money. The engineers are still here today, because engineers never really die, they just keep inventing ways to stay alive.

In the 1980s Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco formed a minor league baseball team called the Huntsville Stars. The Stars played at Joe Davis stadium, where they excelled at making it all the way to the Southern League Championship and then losing. Back then McGwire and Canseco were not using steroids, probably because they were too busy eating the ice cream at the concession stand that comes in the little plastic helmets, which is excellent.

The most famous person in Huntsville is Dan Satterfield, who is a television meteorologist and loud person. He is the arch nemesis of the tornado. Whenever it begins to rain in, say, western Kansas , Satterfield immediately interrupts television programming to broadcast warnings for the next seven hours straight. Many tornadoes have gone away sad because Dan Satterfield ruined their sneak attacks.

Today Huntsville has a bright future, and not just because it has more restaurants than people. It is a modern city on the cusp of research and technology. It is a crossroads, where the spirit of the Old South meets the expression of the arts. It is a bustling, thriving community where diversity and tradition mingle.

Basically, it is a city that prides itself on not being Birmingham.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

Front Range, Colorado
    I alway's thought it silly to drive all that way to hunt alabama's when I have them right outside my back door.

Mark Twain
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

re member
    ??? "to hunt alabama's" ????

I don't get it, Mark.

human dehumidifier
    Basically, it is a city that prides itself on not being Birmingham.
    I know people who live in Huntsville, and I've been to Birmingham. Now that's a fine city, often featured on "The first 48" because it's such a peaceful place. I ate at the Dreamland BBQ there. Our ribs came out of the kitchen in disposable aluminum pans, and was served with a whole loaf of sliced white bread and a roll of paper towels. The server made a show of opening the bread by poking a finger through the wrapper at the far end and ripping it open all the way to the twisty-tie. The bread was store-bought "Wonder bread" and the paper towels probably came from the dollar store. The place looked like an old blues juke joint inside. Huntsville and Birmingham both have Dreamland restaurants. So maybe Huntsville is a little like Birmingham, but at least it's copying the good part.

Also, there is a guy outside the city that has paved his driveway with aluminum cans by just running them over until they were flat and basically welded together from the pressure. That's something Huntsville should copy too.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    ??? "to hunt alabama's" ????

I don't get it, Mark.
    Not many did, for such a famous writer much of what he said was a total brain tease.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

re member
    Bob, the Dreamland in Huntsville, when they built the place, whoever built\designed the indoor firepit, well, the chimney doesn't really work right. The inside of the restaraunt is always smokey to the point it burns your eyes when you walk in. I guess it makes it "quirky", but it's been there a few years now, and they never bothered to correct it.

human dehumidifier
    So the city's crawling with engineers, and they didn't ask one to give an opinion on their firepit. Brilliant.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

re member
    Ha! There's probably more rocket scientists, literal rocket scientists, here than anywhere else in the country.

Yeah, Dreamland shoulda solicited some opinions. You know what, though, they probably don't care. The parking lot is always full there. It is great BBQ!

human dehumidifier
    Yep, that's what the people I know there do for a living

Dreamland was pretty good when I had it in Birmingham but the raw "ambiance" of the place was the kicker. Maybe it's been updated since (13-14 years or so) but IIRC it was like traveling back to the 50s or 60s. All they needed was Lightnin' Hopkins clone on a stool playing the blues and taking tips for it to have been complete.

Front Range, Colorado
    Plus the store bought "wonder bread" is no more so it would be an entirely different experience today.

One question for you two Bob or Net Wurker. Did this BBQ place have a barn silo made out of brick as the main center peice. And was the actual fire BBQ pit in the center of the restaurant.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

human dehumidifier
    ^ IIRC the restaurant I was in (Birmingham) was just a storefront with a counter, some booths and tables. Nothing fancy at all. Again, that was well over 10 years ago.

re member
    DJ, the one in Huntsville, the firepit is off to the side in the main dining room. It's sort of a weird setup, because the kitchen is on the other side of the dining room.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    There is a Dreamland location in Mobile, Alabama too. The pit is indoors.

Big Mac

Huntsville, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Yep, that's what the people I know there do for a living

Dreamland was pretty good when I had it in Birmingham but the raw "ambiance" of the place was the kicker. Maybe it's been updated since (13-14 years or so) but IIRC it was like traveling back to the 50s or 60s. All they needed was Lightnin' Hopkins clone on a stool playing the blues and taking tips for it to have been complete.
    The original dreamland is in Tuscaloosa and was always the best by a long shot. The one in Birmingham was the second to open, about 17 years ago or so. It's good, but not as good, as the original. The rest are all fluff.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    The original dreamland is in Tuscaloosa and was always the best by a long shot. The one in Birmingham was the second to open, about 17 years ago or so. It's good, but not as good, as the original. The rest are all fluff.
    I kind of got that feeling from what was mentioned about the other restaurants. They sound to be more like an Applebee's and less like a juke joint than what I remember from the Birmingham site.

Big Mac

Huntsville, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I kind of got that feeling from what was mentioned about the other restaurants. They sound to be more like an Applebee's and less like a juke joint than what I remember from the Birmingham site.
    Yessir. The old man opened the first two and when he died he passed it to his daughter. She promptly franchised it and that's when things went south. The original two are still good. Sadly, I've heard the one in Tuscaloosa has changed for the worse. I think it's been gentrified.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is this thread about a restaurant exclusive to Alabama or about all of Alabama.

mtbr member
    too long, no pictures, did not read.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Is this thread about a restaurant exclusive to Alabama or about all of Alabama.
    It started out about a specific city in Alabama, then made a right turn to being about a restaurant that's not exclusive to Alabama.

Or in other words, the thread stayed on topic about as well as any other one in OC does.

re member
    Sweet Home Florida!

Front Range, Colorado
    No Gator wrestling I'm not interested.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)