Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

How is Obamacare affecting your coverage next year? Facts only please.

Just interested in some facts about how the ACA is affecting folks' coverage for next year. Our company just sent out our open enrollment letter for 2014. My portion of my health insurance premium went up 1%...less than it went up last year. Coverage stays the same. We are a 150+ person company. I not interesting in your speculation about how it will affect your premiums/coverage or your political take on the matter....just the facts' mam'!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Meatbomb
    7% increase for the same plan as last year. No clue if the increase is due to the ACA.

NMBP
    The first fact should be that it is really called the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

human dehumidifier
    I've been working for nigh on 40 years now and my insurance cost has always increased at renewal.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

official eMpTyBRain
    My health ins company has new coverage levels to work along with the dumb Obuma Care laws. Their highest coverage level (no deductible/low copay) is what is closest to my current coverage (but not quite exactly as good) and it's about $100 cheaper per month than if I stick with the Grandfathered coverage with 2014 increases. Not exactly sure which route I'm gonna take just yet but leaning toward the new program since they have stated that Grandfathered policies may not be offered again next year.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

I'm your density
    I won't know until mid-Oct. when benefit elections begin.

We have not had a rate increase passed to the employees for at least 2 years now. If there is one for next year, I doubt it can all be attributed to the ACA.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    My health ins company has new coverage levels to work along with the dumb Obuma Care laws. Their highest coverage level (no deductible/low copay) is what is closest to my current coverage (but not quite exactly as good) and it's about $100 cheaper per month than if I stick with the Grandfathered coverage with 2014 increases. Not exactly sure which route I'm gonna take just yet but leaning toward the new program since they have stated that Grandfathered policies may not be offered again next year.

So the dumb Obuma Care laws are saving you money? Got it.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    So the dumb Obuma Care laws are saving you money? Got it.
    Saving me a little out of pocket on a monthly basis, yes. Some things are a little more expensive, some are a little cheaper. For example, an ER visit will be $150 with the new plan vs. $100 with the old plan. Generic drug prescriptions will be $5 with the new plan, vs. $10 with the old plan. Out of pocket annual expenses are up a few thousand with a the new plan. Office visits are a little cheaper with the new plan vs the old... and so on.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    We're getting hammered. Our deductible increased $1000 dollars/year and our premiums went up about $2000/year. That is a massive hit to our current economic situation and it leaves us with very little discretionary spending money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    We're getting hammered. Our deductible increased $1000 dollars/year and our premiums went up about $2000/year. That is a massive hit to our current economic situation and it leaves us with very little discretionary spending money.
    Wow, where do you live? What level of change does that represent?

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Central Coast of California. I'd have to do the math for percent of change based on previous costs. I haven't bothered. Our level of coverage has not changed, our Rx and visit copays remain the same, $8 and $20 repectively. The only new perk that I am aware of is we just found out I can do 24 Chiro visits a year at a $5 copay, 100% coverage. BTW...we're with United Healthcare through my wife's school district...she's a High School Teacher.

mtbr member
    Central Coast of California. I'd have to do the math for percent of change based on previous costs. I haven't bothered. Our level of coverage has not changed, our Rx and visit copays remain the same, $8 and $20 repectively. The only new perk that I am aware of is we just found out I can do 24 Chiro visits a year at a $5 copay, 100% coverage. BTW...we're with United Healthcare through my wife's school district...she's a High School Teacher.
    Honestly, your change in health care has little to do with the ACA and more do to with the change in teacher benefits. I bet the overall cost of the insurance has not changed but rather the amount you pay has.

The whole point of AMA is to get more poor people to pay for private insurance. In doing so, private insurance will try to limit what it raises on the rest of us. They get more customers and we stop seeing 20% increases in our insurance year by year.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Uhhhh....No. This is a new contract with a new insurance provider because of extreme cost increases. My wife sits on a committee that oversees these negotiations. Health care went UP significantly across the board this past year with ACA requirements. The district was forced to pay more and like everything, the sh*t just rolls downhill and guess who ultimately ALWAYS pays the price for it? We do.

mtbr member
    Uhhhh....No. This is a new contract with a new insurance provider because of extreme cost increases. My wife sits on a committee that oversees these negotiations. Health care went UP significantly across the board this past year with ACA requirements. The district was forced to pay more and like everything, the sh*t just rolls downhill and guess who ultimately ALWAYS pays the price for it? We do.
    Sorry but I am really a little confused by this. How is this insurance negotiated? At a school level, at a district level, at a state level?

Also, in California the state pays 80-90% of all the health care costs. But if your costs increased by $2000 that would make the total cost for health insurance (what you and the employer pay) ridiculously high.I new California was expensive but man, oh man!

Sup
    I want Obamacare
    his plan
    the one HE has
    that would kick A$$

crap this almost sounds like politics
    think I am in the wrong forum
    opps
    I am slow therefore I am

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    We haven't seen what that's going to be yet, and won't until almost Thanksgiving probably. I do know that they cut my wife's student loan reimbursement in half, "to be able to cover the healthcare changes". They also told her last year she would not get a raise and this year gave her a 2% pay increase, which factors to about $900 a year. She went to school, got a doctorate and had everyone tell her healthcare was the place to go. We're seeing it changing very quickly now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We just got our notification letter about 2 weeks ago from our current provider, I'm self employed and we have high deductible with an HSA for a family of four. Our new 'most similar' plan starting Jan 1st is 77% more per month, up from $419 (which is very cheap compared to other places we shopped) to the mid $700s, there's no cheaper option. Maternity care is included (mandatory), -we have already taken steps to make sure we don't have more kids, dental and vision are included too, but co-pays are around 40% iirc. As near as I can honestly figure, my actual costs will go up about $3,000 next year. I had hoped to buy a new race bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    We just got our notification letter about 2 weeks ago from our current provider, I'm self employed and we have high deductible with an HSA for a family of four. Our new 'most similar' plan starting Jan 1st is 77% more per month, up from $419 (which is very cheap compared to other places we shopped) to the mid $700s, there's no cheaper option. Maternity care is included (mandatory), -we have already taken steps to make sure we don't have more kids, dental and vision are included too, but co-pays are around 40% iirc. As near as I can honestly figure, my actual costs will go up about $3,000 next year. I had hoped to buy a new race bike
    Have you factored in the tax credit you are supposed to get into these amounts?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll ask my cpa about it, I'll see him for quarterlies this month. I'm sure it's complicated with the HSA, that's likely affected somehow.

High Desert MTBer
    Just seems to me that most people don't have a clue how they will be affected by all this. I certainly do not, and do not have the time to try and figure it all out. What I do know is that my health insurance premium rises steadily each year and has done since I took it out. 3 years ago it was $414 per month for me, now it is $100 a month more. I also don't think many insurance professionals know exactly what is entailed... one of my pals here has his own insurance agency, and he will not go near health insurance right now as he says he does not know enough about it, and doesn't have the time to learn. Why does it all have to be so fukkin complicated? Is it just so the average Joe/Jane cannot grasp the intricacies so the insurance companies can gouge them without the client knowing how?
    I know in the UK when I had health insurance there, it was simple: You got sick, they paid; you got injured, they paid; you didn't need a friggin degree in law to figure anything out, and they didn't renege on what you thought you might be covered for when you needed it. I totally agree with affordable health care for everyone, and if making everyone get insurance is workable and affordable, then go for it... just fercrissakes make it UNDERSTANDABLE for all!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

AZ
    banned
    "Obama Care" is designed to fail.

Live 2 Ride
    Looks like since I have no income I get health care for free. Looked into it the other day.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Looks like since I have no income I get health care for free. Looked into it the other day.

No, its not free. Those of us that do have income are footing the bill for yours.

Big Mac

How is Obamacare affecting your coverage next year? Facts only please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Really? Tell me how you do it, get fired so much. Then I'll "lose" my job and become a nonproductive, dirt bag and get on the government tit too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    No, its not free. Those of us that do have income are footing the bill for yours.
    As we did last year and the year before and the year before that. The difference is that now, we will pay less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast