Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775

    How low will you go?

    I just walked the dog and thought it felt brisk. I checked the temperature and apparently we are without a temperature. If it were one degree colder, I would suit up for a bike around the block just to do it. At zero, meh.

    How low will you go?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356879262.555746.jpg
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  2. #2
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    Well, since you had a wind chill factor that brought it down below zero (-9), you shoulda gone.

  3. #3
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    I'd wear a hat at those temperatures. The coldest it's been here so far is about 5. That was at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  4. #4
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,205
    Isn't that cold here but, the wind is up there right now.

    12303 Weather, Current Conditions and Temperature - weather.com
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

  5. #5
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    I guess it's a matter of what you're used to.

    Back when I worked as a MTB coach in Latvia, 0F would mean a regular training day.

    Now that I'm back in Denmark, I go boo-hoo when it gets much below 25F.
    The first winter back here was nice though, as I hardly felt the cold.
    For the time being, I spend a fair bit of time in southern France. They think they're about to die when it hits 32F


    Magura

  6. #6
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    what the hells going on over there, you guys must have done something bad in a past life for it to be so cold, lol, id die in that sort of cold.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  7. #7
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    what the hells going on over there, you guys must have done something bad in a past life for it to be so cold, lol, id die in that sort of cold.....
    See guys, this is what the French sounds like at 32F


    Magura

  8. #8
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    Tone's, man up and stick your head in the freezer for a bit. It feels refreshing.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    On my hike yesterday it started out in the 30s. I had to blow warm air into my hands once or twice.

  10. #10
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,741
    I'm with Tone's. That is just straight up ridiculous. Right now it's 7:20 am, rainy and cold, and my thermometer says 68 degrees.

    0 degrees would kill me.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Lowest I've ever gone is over 200 feet below Sea Level.... Death Valley, California.... out there, though the heat kills ya more than the cold.

  12. #12
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Lowest I've ever gone is over 200 feet below Sea Level.... Death Valley, California.... out there, though the heat kills ya more than the cold.
    Badwater: Lowest point in the Northern hemishere.

    It's also in the area of where the highest temp in history was recorded: 134F

    Helpful Pointer: Don't drink the water there, no matter how thirsty you are.

  13. #13
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    New Year Day ride a couple of years ago was -6 f. Supposed to be warmer this year, +8 f.

  14. #14
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    New Year Day ride a couple of years ago was -6 f. Supposed to be warmer this year, +8 f.
    That's 14 degrees warmer. That calls for a bareback ride, IMO.

  15. #15
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,163
    here in TX anything below 55 makes me go ugh. I did go out yesterday and it started at 44 and ended about 50 and I had on leg warmers, long sleeve jersey, lt weight cycling jacket, full finger moto gloves,and a face mask--and let me tell ya I did not feel too hot once. lol. today just now at 20 min past noon it is just now 45---likely I wont bike today..

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    693

    On this night

    A few of us went camping temps hit 9* over night.
    Wasnt too bad, but tearing down in the AM sucks.
    Big fire, cold beers..yeah doesnt get any better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How low will you go?-wc.jpg  

    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

  17. #17
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    921
    We only get a few single digit days a year here, but a few years ago I did a +7deg F windy 4-hour ride.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    I do not think I have ever ridden in single digits or lower yet but I am all about breaking records this winter.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    460
    I wish I could get weather like that. The coldest it has gotten this year was 45 and it was 80 yesterday. :| I hate florida "winters".

  20. #20
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    We've warmed to a balmy 22. It is time to go and play outside. I'm thinking cross country skiing for today's fun.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  21. #21
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,025
    We are still riding here in southern Ontario and likely we will ride until spring.
    We did a ride Friday night after the snowfall of 10cm but we were dressed for it The temp was around -3 c and windchill made it feel like -11c

    We've ridden in colder temps previous winters, Singlesprocket has a thread on Passion with pics and videos of past years rides

    I grew up in Timmins northern Ontario. The average low in winter is -25 to -35c ( -11 to -30f) Thats not counting windchill

    The last time I visited Timmins in the winter my car froze solid overnight (I didn't plug in the block heater) and I had to have it towed to a garage to have it thawed which took 2 days

    Despite growing up in a cold climate doesn;t mean I like it, but I can make the best of it.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  22. #22
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    it's a frigid 50 degrees here today...same with every "Winter" day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How low will you go?-121230_0001.jpg  


  23. #23
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Not to bad here, will get out for a ride soon after I put the sun block on.


    18°CNot Available
    Feels like: 18°
    High 23°c
    Low 12°c
    Barometer1012 mbWind18 km/hr WDewpoint13°Sunrise5: AMHumidity72%Sunset8: PMVisibility20 kmUV index0 LowPrecip last hrNAPrecip last 24hr1.2 cm.

    1PM

    22°c Clear.


    7PM

    21°c Clear.


    10PM

    16° c Clear
    I have a 6 Berth camper van that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,685
    It was a cool 53F at the trail this AM and it was PACKED... For South Florida that is pretty cold, but it was a great AM ride and I put in about 15 miles...
    For me anything below 45 and I am staying indoors... Yup I have acclimatized to the tropical climate over the past 25 years...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  25. #25
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    We are still riding here in southern Ontario and likely we will ride until spring.
    We did a ride Friday night after the snowfall of 10cm but we were dressed for it The temp was around -3 c and windchill made it feel like -11c

    We've ridden in colder temps previous winters, Singlesprocket has a thread on Passion with pics and videos of past years rides

    I grew up in Timmins northern Ontario. The average low in winter is -25 to -35c ( -11 to -30f) Thats not counting windchill

    The last time I visited Timmins in the winter my car froze solid overnight (I didn't plug in the block heater) and I had to have it towed to a garage to have it thawed which took 2 days

    Despite growing up in a cold climate doesn;t mean I like it, but I can make the best of it.

    Psff. Canadians and their metric system. Always making it sound as if it's colder than it really is.

    Holy hell, I get up to Muskoka and further up the Georgian Bay occasionally, but Timmins, ON is way the heck up there, eh.

  26. #26
    Hermit
    Reputation: swampboy62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    933
    Couple o' years ago I went whitewater kayaking on a remote western PA creek when it was 12 F. Lotsa fun.

    At the takeout I was standing by my car, with the boat on the roof. I'd brought a thermos of hot water with me in the boat so at the end I could thaw the layer of ice on my life jacket to take it off. I was standing beside the car, covered with ice, pouring water over myself - and a car drove past. I thought they were going to end up in the ditch. Friggin' hilarious.

    Don't mind the cold but the dark is a bit much.

    Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

    My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,435
    I will ride no matter how low the temp gets. Kind of like it to be so cold the ground grips like crazy.

    Did have a 2 minute ride about 10 years ago when the water on my eyes froze in the first mile and I could not close my eyes. That was really painful and will not ride below 10 without goggles now.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OscarW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,685
    ^ you're tougher than me.....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,283
    did some trail maintenance in the mid 30s this past sat and sun morning. wasn't too bad at all.

  30. #30
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Forecast for tomorrows ride, it may be a short one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  31. #31
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,058
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Badwater: Lowest point in the Northern hemishere.

    It's also in the area of where the highest temp in history was recorded: 134F

    Helpful Pointer: Don't drink the water there, no matter how thirsty you are.
    yessir it tis.............happy to say i've been to the lowest and the highest NA peak (Mt Whitney)

  32. #32
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,948
    Mid Oregon has been around 34 to 37 at night, 40 to 45 during the day.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  33. #33
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    It's about 25F right now. I don't mind riding in this weather -- I ride a bike to class everyday, including today, when it was about 15F on my way to class at noon. However, the trails are covered in snow right now and I don't trust drivers when there's ice and snow on the roads, so I won't be riding a bike past campus for a while. I may try to get on the mountain bike a bit depending on the amount of snow still up there later this week, but once the snow melts all the trails turn into horrible clay until they dry out. So it's time for some alpine skiing.

    The weather people are saying that this winter is supposed to break or tie some records for amount of snowfall since they started keeping records in the '70s -- the last storm brought almost ten feet in the local mountains, and a couple ski resorts (particularly those that make snow) were able to open before Halloween.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  34. #34
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I ride a bike to class everyday, including today
    What, hold on a second!

    There's no class on New Years Eve!

  35. #35
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    What, hold on a second!

    There's no class on New Years Eve!
    I'm taking a class during winter break because I changed my major and I won't fall behind on my four-year schedule if I take this class now. It's five days a week, three hours a day, for three weeks, in order to cover the same material in the three weeks of this class as they would cover in a regular semester class. It's looking like we'll realistically have maybe an hour and a half of class everyday, though. And at least there's no class tomorrow.

    It's nice though, because it's a small class (fewer than 20 students), it's an easy class, relaxed atmosphere, and the TA/instructor is very easy on the eyes.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  36. #36
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I'm taking a class during winter break because I changed my major and I won't fall behind on my four-year schedule if I take this class now. It's five days a week, three hours a day, for three weeks, in order to cover the same material in the three weeks of this class as they would cover in a regular semester class. It's looking like we'll realistically have maybe an hour and a half of class everyday, though. And at least there's no class tomorrow.

    It's nice though, because it's a small class (fewer than 20 students), it's an easy class, relaxed atmosphere, and the TA/instructor is very easy on the eyes.
    You're hardcore dude. My hat comes off for you.

  37. #37
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    You're hardcore dude. My hat comes off for you.
    Thanks! But it's really not that bad. Living here and going to school half an hour from skiing and having all the time in the world to ski is a lot better than staying at home for a month during winter break and doing nothing at all except riding a road bike on the same route everyday.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,178
    Coldest I ever rode in was probably around 10ish degrees after windchill, last year.

    Can't remember it ever getting much colder than that in the low elevations of NJ, but I'm sure it has.

  39. #39
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,720
    I could ride around the block naked, in 0 degree weather, as long as I was very fast about it!

    But then again, I've been in a drug-fueled orgy way back in college where we poured hot candle wax on each others genitals, down ass cracks, etc. A little bit of anything (hot or cold) in moderation is okay.

  40. #40
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    I made a new year's resolution to ride more. I just checked the weather and the forecast is -6F with a windchill of -20F @ 8am. I think I'm going to do a quick ride...maybe just be around the block, but there is no reason to break a resolution before the middle of January.

  41. #41
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I could ride around the block naked, in 0 degree weather, as long as I was very fast about it!

    But then again, I've been in a drug-fueled orgy way back in college where we poured hot candle wax on each others genitals, down ass cracks, etc. A little bit of anything (hot or cold) in moderation is okay.
    That explains so much.

    I just took the trash out in jeans and a t-shirt, in ~20 degree weather. It's only a couple steps from my door to the dumpster though.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I made a new year's resolution to ride more. I just checked the weather and the forecast is -6F with a windchill of -20F @ 8am. I think I'm going to do a quick ride...maybe just be around the block, but there is no reason to break a resolution before the middle of January.
    I'm one step ahead... Not even making a resolution!

    Just kidding. I wanna top-ten in the only collegiate race that my schedule will allow in the spring, and I wanna find some scholarships so I can study abroad (or two or three) next school year.

    There. Now they're written down, so I gotta follow through.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  42. #42
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    So I did it...sort of. I biked the dog around the block (0.6 miles) this morning at sun up. It was a crisp -5F but fortunately the winds moved through last night and it was perfectly calm this morning.

    How low will you go?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357049370.135579.jpg
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  43. #43
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,815
    heyyall, you....


  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    So I did it...sort of. I biked the dog around the block (0.6 miles) this morning at sun up. It was a crisp -5F but fortunately the winds moved through last night and it was perfectly calm this morning.
    Chilly! Man, I would not want your heating bills...

  45. #45
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    3 mile hike with 4 dogs this morning, 12 f. It was like herding cats.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    693
    Thats the right way to start the new year off! I did the same thing this am with my son & dog. Short 2miles in the snow..love it!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

  47. #47
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,578
    Where I'm at in the desert when it's sunny...

    50-75 = perfect
    40-50 = ugh, well whatever not terrible.
    30-40 = shorter ride. Less likely to go.
    under 30 = Ya, almost certainly out.

    Its just the more and more clothes you put on, the more the enjoyment factor goes down.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlosmontiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    102
    This low

    How low will you go?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357060343.818137.jpg
    How low will you go?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357060362.431002.jpg

    And this is winter time over here.

  49. #49
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Where I'm at in the desert when it's sunny...

    50-75 = perfect
    40-50 = ugh, well whatever not terrible.
    30-40 = shorter ride. Less likely to go.
    under 30 = Ya, almost certainly out.

    Its just the more and more clothes you put on, the more the enjoyment factor goes down.
    Those numbers work for me, too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •