Thread: homesick

banned
    Jan 2013

homesick

So... the company I work for was given 2 spots on an all expense paid 7 day vacation to Puerto Rico staying at the Ritz Carlton. For what ever reason the brass above me declined and one of the spots fell to me. Amazing place, amazing resort. I've been over it and ready to bail for days now. Thank God we finally leave today, I cant wait to get home. A little voice in my head is telling me I am an idiot for not enjoying this place to the fullest, but here I am....

Am I the only one to find my self homesick in a "paradise" environment?

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with that, you're not living in a Travelocity commerical.

Gnarly
    I have visited some interesting places however I wish I could travel more and explore different cultures and environments.

Every place I've visited I always think "could I live here?" The more comfortable I am in an enviroment, the more likely I can say "Yes I can imagine myself living here" and the less homesick I am. When i start to lose interest then I know I'm ready to leave.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    So... the company I work for was given 2 spots on an all expense paid 7 day vacation to Puerto Rico staying at the Ritz Carlton. For what ever reason the brass above me declined and one of the spots fell to me. Amazing place, amazing resort. I've been over it and ready to bail for days now. Thank God we finally leave today, I cant wait to get home. A little voice in my head is telling me I am an idiot for not enjoying this place to the fullest, but here I am....

Am I the only one to find my self homesick in a "paradise" environment?
    Any particular problem with your trip or are you just ready to go home? When I travel I'm usually ready to come home although that usually happens at the end of the trip.

official eMpTyBRain
    I eventually get homesick no matter how awesome the place I am visiting is. I live where I live because it has everything I need in life. All the paces I vacation to are nice to visit but they do not have everything I need in life. That said, it's wonderful to have a group of favorite getaway locations to visit. Those special places break up the stresses of normal everyday living.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

more carbon=more awesome
    Sounds to me like you are tired of sitting around by the pool doing nothing. I get the same way. It doesn't matter how nice a place is if I don't have anything active to do.
    A mate of mine recently went on a cruise in the Pacific with some extended family. All the females loved it, but he hated every minute of it.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I understand.

If I have my family (wife and son) with me, I can happily stay on vacation for 3 - 4 weeks without missing home. I saved about 2 years of vacation and flex time up for an almost 4 week dream vacation (~ 7,000 miles of motorcycle riding with a detour in the Virgin Islands celebrating my 10th anniversary for a week in the middle of the ride). Somewhere around Day 18 floating in the resort pool, I really wondered how work was doing. This was at a job/company I liked.

If I have good friends, I can happily stay on vacation for 1 - 2 weeks without missing home and my family too much.

If I am by myself, I'm ready to be home in about 1 week, no matter the location.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Home! Thank god!!!

Yea, if i had been there with a gf, family, or friends it woulda been a hell of a lot more fun. Place was stupid outa my price range to do anything other than the sponsored scheduled activities so i was mostly stuck laying around the pool doing nothing. I literally read 4 books and had a 5th half done by the time my plane landed tonight.

Was nice to get away from work for a week i guess. I might be able to see desk under the paper by mid week. =P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post

Was nice to get away from work for a week i guess.
    That's the problem with Vacations.. ( I'm on one right now, first day. ) When you get back, you have to answer 3 weeks worth of emails, questions, and fires that been smoldering.
    I'll be checking in on emails just to keep the volume of stupid upon my return down.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    That's the problem with Vacations.. ( I'm on one right now, first day. ) When you get back, you have to answer 3 weeks worth of emails, questions, and fires that been smoldering.
    I'll be checking in on emails just to keep the volume of stupid upon my return down.
    I know what you mean and it's worst of all when you're self employed. I generally need a vacation from my vacation when I get back to reality. Damned if you go, damned if you stay!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation