FKA Malibu412

Holiday Traditions??

What typically kicks off the Christmas season at your house? What has to happen as you prepare for the holidays or it just wouldn't be a proper Christmas season?

For my family, my wife would get together with her mom and sisters on Black Friday to initiate gift shopping and while she was gone, my kids and I would watch Christmas Vacation while eating cheeseburgers, fries and sodas from our favorite local burger chain. We did this so many times that we would recite the script of the movies as it played.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Ride More, Whine Less
    We put up our Christmas tree on black Friday.

official eMpTyBRain
    We drive around after dark on Black Friday and trip out on all the Christmas lights the husbands put up during the day while their wives were out running up the credit card balances.... that's our first "Holiday Tradition".

The next one will be on Saturday, December 1 when we walk a block or two down the Blvd to attend the local Christmas parade. The highlight being when Santa flies overhead in the Sheriff helicopter, waving at all the kids. And yes, that really is Santa...

After that, a week or two later, after screaming at me repeatedly, my wife will finally convince me to hang the lights outside and go into storage to retrieve the holiday decor. We'll also go out to Home Depot or Do It Center to purchase a "fresh cut" Christmas tree. The only thing fresh cut about these weeks old, moldy trees is when they take a chain saw to the base of it while you wait so that it can drink up 16 gallons of water every day which by the way, I spill all over our beautiful hardwood floors each half hour when I attempt to top off the tree's water supply. And finally, yes, I've tried soda pop in the tree's water. Supposed to slow the absorbing speed? Horse pucky!!!

Merry Christmas!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    We put up our Christmas tree on black Friday.

JK, that's cool....I think.

hawg, that's Clark Griswold-esq right there

Afric Pepperbird
    Two words:

Schweddy Balls!

No Stranger to danger....
    Back when i was in the suburbs it was lighting fires in the backyard, getting off your chops, some sort of fighting n punchin on, eating seafood outdoors, watching 5 days or cricket straight on the box that went for 7 hours a day, fishing or spearfishin every morning early, sneaking off with the relatives and friends to abuse some or many types of substances.

On xmas day it was pullin bongs to take the edge off the coke youd snorted all day, and racking up some gas to kick you along after you were coming clear off the coke, then back to the bongs to take the edge off the gas, it was a vicious circle....
    But this made it easier to cope with the relatives that you only saw once a year,
    Those where the days...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

FKA Malibu412
    So Tone's, you sayin' your holidays were something real special?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Two words:

Schweddy Balls!
    No one can resist my Schweddy Balls.

The wife and I are becoming less and less impressed with gift buying these days. I have done black friday shopping maybe twice and worked retail for it a handful of times. It disgusts me anymore.

In the future my wife and i will probably give homemade cheese and alcohol (she makes cheese and I homebrew) for gifts.

I would rather do things like going to a ski resort or staying home and going to see a holiday play or something. About the only thing I will continue doing is putting up the decorations after thanksgiving.

banned
    I am with Nate on this. Black Friday is disgusting. Our Holiday tradition is this . Thanksgiving, we go biking all day, Christmas Eve we go biking 1/2 day, Christmas day we go biking all day, then New Years we going biking all day.

humber river advocate
    i look forward to the feats of strength and the airing of the grievances.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

bust a move

simple things

Over this weekend we will put out the decorations, put up the tree.and hang a very few lights. It is not really complete though until my wife starts cranking out batches of her oatmeal lace cookies which are like 1/3 butter...the smell of those fresh baked yummies puts me in the holiday mood. Oh yeah, some college football, classic movies and beer drinking are also part of the tradition.

I hate shopping/gifting and all the rest of the meaningless holiday bs.

Yes Hawg, I will send you a couple of them
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    my wife starts cranking out batches of her oatmeal lace cookies which are like 1/3 butter...the smell of those fresh baked yummies puts me in the holiday mood. Yes Hawg, I will send you a couple of them
    Fantastic!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation