Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    327

    Holiday Gift thread 2013

    So what are you getting for your family member that is unique or special. Do share...

    I have been eyeing at this for my nephew

    iPhone/iPad remote access helicopter

    *ipod/ipad not included

  2. #2
    Prime
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,608
    I bought my wife a new 150mm Rockshok Pike for my AM 29er. She didn't seem to appreciate it the way that I thought she would. Huh??

  3. #3
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,400
    Tomorrow is our 15th Anniversary. What should I get her other than to take her out to a nice romantic dinner?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  4. #4
    Prime
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Tomorrow is our 15th Anniversary. What should I get her other than to take her out to a nice romantic dinner?
    I'll bet that she would just luuuv a new hardtail AM 29er. Maybe a K&N filter for your truck, too.

  5. #5
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Uggs for everyone.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Uggs for everyone.
    Or Kitchens.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,167

    Holiday Gift thread 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Maybe a K&N filter for your truck, too.
    Avoid K&N air filters. They destroy engines. Pretty much any aftermarket air filter/intake system is absolute garbage. Stick with the OEM set up. They don't breath well, but they do a far superior job of actually filtering the intake air.

    Not only am I a mechanic in real life, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night

    Sorry for the thread hijack. Back to your normally scheduled programming.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  8. #8
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Where I do my thinking
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I bought my wife a new 150mm Rockshok Pike for my AM 29er. She didn't seem to appreciate it the way that I thought she would. Huh??
    She probably wanted something a bit bigger, like a Totem or Domain. Even RS says size matters.

    I'm giving my roommates the opportunity to live with me. That's a plenty great gift, in my opinion.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

  9. #9
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,825
    Thinking of surprising the wife with a holiday in SE Asia at Xmas... the gift that gives us both what we want: a great vacation in a beautiful place, and takes us away from in-laws at a good time to be away
    It's all Here. Now.

  10. #10
    Rep Power: Potatoe
    Reputation: BigRingGrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,450
    Daughters = Gift cards to several shops of their choice.

    Everyone else = D!ck on a stick.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

  11. #11
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I'll bet that she would just luuuv a new hardtail AM 29er. Maybe a K&N filter for your truck, too.
    I have not had good experiences with K&N/aftermarket air filters. They do breathe better than paper when they are brand new but the oil coating clogs up rapidly and then they do not breathe as well as a clean paper filter. The custom intakes probably do breathe better than the OEM intakes, though.

    My wife already has a HT 26er. I have to beat her with whips and chains to get her to ride it regularly, too.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  12. #12
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post

    I have to beat her with whips and chains to get her to ride it regularly, too.
    Woah. T.M.I. Keep your saucy sex life in the bedroom.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

  13. #13
    re member
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Tomorrow is our 15th Anniversary. What should I get her other than to take her out to a nice romantic dinner?
    Knee socks?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

  14. #14
    sympathy for society
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Tomorrow is our 15th Anniversary. What should I get her other than to take her out to a nice romantic dinner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I have to beat her with whips and chains to get her to ride it regularly, too.
    I think you just answered your own question. And, congradulations on 15 years!!!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  15. #15
    Prime
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I have not had good experiences with K&N/aftermarket air filters. They do breathe better than paper when they are brand new but the oil coating clogs up rapidly and then they do not breathe as well as a clean paper filter. The custom intakes probably do breathe better than the OEM intakes, though.

    My wife already has a HT 26er. I have to beat her with whips and chains to get her to ride it regularly, too.
    Every 5K miles, like clockwork, clean and oil the air filter, breathes like new, always. I've used them on every vehicle that I've owned for the last 20 years, 3 of them had well over 200K miles on them when I traded them in, 3 more were around 175K.

    But, whips and chains, that's a whole nuther story. Congrats on 15 years, we're doing 23 next weekend. Heading for a little slickrock mtbing up north. Almost bought her a new pair of 510's for me, to celebrate.

  16. #16
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Every 5K miles, like clockwork, clean and oil the air filter, breathes like new, always. I've used them on every vehicle that I've owned for the last 20 years, 3 of them had well over 200K miles on them when I traded them in, 3 more were around 175K.

    But, whips and chains, that's a whole nuther story. Congrats on 15 years, we're doing 23 next weekend. Heading for a little slickrock mtbing up north. Almost bought her a new pair of 510's for me, to celebrate.
    Congrats to you also Opti.

    Slickrock video to come???
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  17. #17
    Prime
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Congrats to you also Opti.

    Slickrock video to come???
    Thanks, Hawg. I'm sure I'll get some video, headed up to Prescott for a 3 day weekend. We'll ride a little easier stuff for her, she'll hike while I ride the tougher stuff. My big vacation got blown, so instead I plan to hit 4 or 5 mini trips by years end. Just ordered her some new Kendas for her Safire.

  18. #18
    King of Middle Earth
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Thanks, Hawg. I'm sure I'll get some video, headed up to Prescott for a 3 day weekend. We'll ride a little easier stuff for her, she'll hike while I ride the tougher stuff. My big vacation got blown, so instead I plan to hit 4 or 5 mini trips by years end. Just ordered her some new Kendas for her Safire.
    Let's continue this in the "bikes" thread, LOL!

    Gonna ask you a question over there....
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

  19. #19
    Prime
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,608
    Yeah, I'm kind of a party crasher. I don't much follow boundaries, sorry.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    980
    What I want to get my husband for Christmas:





    What I will actually be able to afford to give him:




    What my husband would like to get me for Christmas:





    What he will actually be able to afford to give me:




    Other than that, I haven't really put much thought into it yet. I'm pretty bad for that. On more than one occasion I have made my gift purchases on Chritmas Eve. Maybe this year I'll start early. Some time after Halloween perhaps.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I bought my wife a new 150mm Rockshok Pike for my AM 29er. She didn't seem to appreciate it the way that I thought she would. Huh??
    I am surprised that she did not buy you a dog house for xmas the following year

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigkat273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    365

    Re: Holiday Gift thread 2013

    My wife loves having friends over for dinner during the summer but our outdoor deck seating kind of sucks so I am building a new picnic table for her topped with cherry wood cut from our property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

Similar Threads

  1. Holiday gift ideas for my shop guys?
    By LAD in forum Passion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM
  2. *Northstar 2013 Thread*
    By GoingOffRoading in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM
  4. My Holiday gift to you...
    By GoGoGordo in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
  5. Holiday gift suggestions?
    By sdneal in forum Ibis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •