Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hippies

9 lives

Hippies

Hippies never die, they are just reborn into every generation.

Name:  19c04961-7932-47b1-a53d-cdaec831b081-460x276.jpeg
Views: 1513
Size:  66.3 KB

But the hippie van, the VW combi, will go out of production at the end of the year.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I didn't do it
    Ah, but it'll be with us for decades to come.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    WHAT?! Those things are still in production somewhere on this planet???!!!

mtbr member
    ^NFW!!! Who-da thought that they still made those old fossils???

9 lives
    i thought they stopped making them too... the ones I've seen are "old-looking"
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yep Brazil has been making them for years. The downfall was due to the old design didn't meet government safety standards.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Who remembers the "Hippies" as a kid? We were taught that they were criminals & drug addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Who remembers the "Hippies" as a kid? We were taught that they were criminals & drug addicts.
    Ha,ha it was a wild time. Growing up as a kid in the. Sixties and then as a teenager through the seventies I remember it all. Sex drugs and rock & roll. Hippie flower child protests everywhere. Pot smoking everywhere and nude beaches. Bell bottoms, hip huggers, flower stickers, black lights, lava lamps, Big Wheels, Krazy Wheels, Lawn Darts, frizbee, Klacker balls, Hot Wheels, Muscle Cars, Posters, head shops I could go on and on. I wouldn't change experiencing that time period for anything.
    Front Range, Colorado.

I didn't do it
    Ha, what I remember as a kid was that the hippies smelled really bad!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Ha, what I remember as a kid was that the hippies smelled really bad!
    Yes they did but harmless..
    Front Range, Colorado.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes they did but harmless..
    Indeed, I began realizing that when I started attending Grateful Dead shows.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

9 lives
    "tune in, turn on, drop out"
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    ^Words from a Cracker song!

mtbr member
    I'm ready for another summer of love. Let's do 1967 all over again.

mtbr member
    ^Words from a Cracker song!
    Nope, the words of Timothy Leary.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Who remembers the "Hippies" as a kid?
    I do, they were called Mom and Dad.

My first name is Hezekiah. Not kidding. It could be worse, i could be moon unit flower dweezil or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Nope, the words of Timothy Leary.
    The words of Timothy Leary used in a Cracker song!!!

High Desert MTBer
    I am still a hippie... When I left school I moved to Stonehenge... I lasted about 3 days and then realised that dandelion coffee would never cut it. Moved right back to London... Me and a bunch of other like-minded n'er-do-wells took over an entire street of squats in one of the richest parts of Chelsea, right around the corner from Maggie Thatcher's pad, and we caused a good stir!
    As for sex and drugs and rock 'n roll, that came along soon enough too...

Ah the memories!!! (Not too many sadly...)
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

Hippies

Ha,ha it was a wild time. Growing up as a kid in the. Sixties and then as a teenager through the seventies I remember it all. Sex drugs and rock & roll. Hippie flower child protests everywhere. Pot smoking everywhere and nude beaches. Bell bottoms, hip huggers, flower stickers, black lights, lava lamps, Big Wheels, Krazy Wheels, Lawn Darts, frizbee, Klacker balls, Hot Wheels, Muscle Cars, Posters, head shops I could go on and on. I wouldn't change experiencing that time period for anything.
    You're like, really old…
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 60's and 70's were the best time. I really miss
    those days. Now you can't do a damn thing without
    someone getting butt hurt and bent out of shape.

mtbr member
    My time in 'that time', I think is colored by youthfulness and the inherent freedom it affords. Most of which was illusion and brought with it much that was bad and little that was good.
    The best is the music--a time that I doubt will be repeated for creativity and passion.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

9 lives

Somehow the older van looked cooler... but the newer van probably has air conditioning and air bags
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives

I liked the song in that commercial
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The 60's and 70's were the best time. I really miss
    those days. Now you can't do a damn thing without
    someone getting butt hurt and bent out of shape.
    I remember plenty of people getting butt hurt and bent out of shape in those times John, we just didn't care so much then... we were right goddammit!

I do remember the free sex... a bunch of pals and I were pretty messed up one time and one of the guys suggested an orgy... yay! Trouble was, I looked at his gal, then at mine and decided that was not something I needed to happen... he was also looking at me weird, and that was something I didn't need to happen either...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    My time in 'that time', I think is colored by youthfulness and the inherent freedom it affords. Most of which was illusion and brought with it much that was bad and little that was good.
    The best is the music--a time that I doubt will be repeated for creativity and passion.
    I have to agree about the music thing Tude, that same freedom of creativity and the positive encouragement to develop in new directions from record labels was refreshing and exciting. We have not seen such a time since, and even tho the market forces existed in a similar way then, there were not so many people taking a slice of the pie, and a lot of the people feeding off the pie were actually 'into' the music. I could never say that Simon Cowell is 'into' anything except growing breasts and bank balances.
    As for the 'illusion' of freedom, freedom is never an illusion, it is as real now as it was then, we just expected too much of it in the wrong way sometimes, and it blew up in our faces. Much of the gain in human rights awareness and civil rights awareness came from that time, and many hundreds of thousands of people gained an insight into a better way to live and think. Unfortunately, overuse and misuse of drugs buried much of that insight, and prevented the wider acceptance and adoption of these ideas. 1 step forward, 2 steps back!
    It's all Here. Now.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    "tune in, turn on, drop out"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Acg7ojdrpoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Retro on Steroids
    I'm still a hippie. I don't shave or cut what's left of my hair. I was a roadie for a SF rock band in the sixties, worked on shows with Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater, Byrds, Steve Miller, Santana, The Band, Donovan and dozens more.

I smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, been mountain biking with Bob Weir, and the one time I met Janis Joplin she was wearing red panties and red shoes. Pretty sure she had shoes on.

Rabid Lana fan
    Dude, you just may be the last real hippie left.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

I'm just messing with you
    Born in '61 I always identified with the hippies because it was obvious to me that the man was holding them down and I always say you should *never* let the man hold you down.

Klackers rule. I still have some here somewhere. Got a pocket fisherman too. Still have a muscle car too and still trying to get it back on the road. There are close cousins to the head shops around, disguised as cigar/cigarette "smoke" shops here. They sell paraphernalia but don't smell of patchouli like the old days. (You may think patchouli stinks, but it reminds me of being young.)

Recently I had a co-worker ask me if I remembered the 70s Hare Krishna movement. She'll never do that again. I turned her trying to make fun of them into a lesson on what they were/are actually about. Of course now she might be making jokes about me too, but hopefully she took it as a learning experience.

Back to the subject at hand, I wonder how much it'd cost to get a new combi van shipped into the states, and at the same time know it'd be a heck of a lot more than I'm willing to pay for one.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    They all got real jobs, worked their way up the corporate ladder, and became Republican CEOs of mega-corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I could never say that Simon Cowell is 'into' anything except growing breasts and bank balances.
    I'd forgotten all about his manboobs, thanks for reminding me not. Although the episode of 'punked" where they stole his car was a laugh riot with him in a skin-tight white t-shirt.

Much of the gain in human rights awareness and civil rights awareness came from that time
    I was talking to my kid the other night relative to a local news item announcing a pharmacy giving free vitamins to school children, and remembered being in headstart, getting every advantage, free vitamins, food, real physicals and dental care, as part of going to school. So it's sort of ironic that it's many in my generation who reaped those benefits who now like to argue that current and future generations don't deserve the same head start in life.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Old Hippies never die , They just flash back! lol

My Dad had several VW Bus's and we camped in just about every KOA camp I think. We had campers and just regular ones. he had a 66,67,69,71. So many of my childhood memories are tied up in those VWs
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    i wasn't born here in the states my dad did everything he could to get us to a better place away from martial law and violence. thankx, pop! loved me some hippies, vdubs and whatever else you guys served here.

my first solo trip and first real mtb trip both were in a vdub bus, though.

High Desert MTBer
    I do remember the watershed moment in British history when the hippie thing finally rolled over and expired in the UK: It was 1974 at the Windsor Free Festival. This was a completely free festival held on public land right under HM the Queen's royal nostrils in Windsor Great Park near the castle.
    Windsor Free Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There were several stages with a bunch of good bands playing for nothing, or very little. Think Hawkwind at 4 am with Stacey dancing naked in the moonlight on LSD and you will get some idea... I was there with a bunch of old hippie pals making and selling Pita bread pockets with all sorts of healthy fruits and veg in 'em. Not to mention some other stuff we don't talk about. We sold some to some undercover narcs who had a pretty wild night afterwards... they had to be removed by their colleagues.
    After 5 days of craziness, the cops moved in in their hundreds at 5 am and 'broke up' the festival. There were lots of beatings, lots of stupidity, and I spent a few hours leading a BBC news camera crew to the various 'hotspots'... After the event, hundreds ended up in jail, and anyone who had been enjoying the last vestige of the Woodstock spirit, eventually crawled away to whatever hidey-hole they could find to lick their wounds and wonder where that spirit went... It was a sad occasion that ain't written about in any history books, and no one ever made a movie about it...
    After that, I moved into a flat in London with Lemmy and some of the embryonic Motorhead guys, toured with Ian Dury and the Blockheads, and have been on the road constantly since then. Only now I am beginning to understand where it all went wrong, and begin to pick up the pieces of that 'spirit'... It has taken a while, and living in such a beautiful place as Tucson has helped
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    After that, I moved into a flat in London with Lemmy and some of the embryonic Motorhead guys, toured with Ian Dury and the Blockheads, and have been on the road constantly since then. Only now I am beginning to understand where it all went wrong, and begin to pick up the pieces of that 'spirit'... It has taken a while, and living in such a beautiful place as Tucson has helped
    How long did it take you to pick up the pieces from living in a flat with Lemmy? Quite the life you've lived Rocker.

BTW, when I think of metal, I think of "Ace of Spades" first, Sabbath second.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    How long did it take you to pick up the pieces from living in a flat with Lemmy? Quite the life you've lived Rocker.

BTW, when I think of metal, I think of "Ace of Spades" first, Sabbath second.
    The flat was actually Fast Eddie's in West Kensington. There were about 5 of us there, on the second floor of a big old Victorian complex near the tube station. My room had an elevated bed, and a big sash window that was next to a wall and a tree. Lemmy used to get back there sometimes without a key, so would climb the wall/tree, and fall into the window onto my bed. This was when he would wake me and play Monty Python soundtracks, and Murray Roman shows. The cassette cases would get used for something else as he played me the tapes... He always carried a little cassette player with him, and he could recite entire Python scripts perfectly... with the accents... I still run into him now and again, and it is always fun to catch up
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You're like, really old…
    51 is average for this forum.
    Front Range, Colorado.

^ have you done the math, or is that like 3/4s of all other internet statistics, totally made up?

BTW, rocker, that's just amazing to me having never left the same town my entire life. People like you and CK should really get with the book writing while you're able.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    ^ have you done the math, or is that like 3/4s of all other internet statistics, totally made up?

BTW, rocker, that's just amazing to me having never left the same town my entire life. People like you and CK should really get with the book writing while you're able.
    I have several false book starts already! Seems every time I get going at it, I end up going out to work again and it never gets done... one day... if I spent less time riding and posting here, maybe...
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    hippy gangs hate in

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VKCHq14RLt0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    hippy gangs hate in

Awesome Chris! Must be the reefer madness taking hold! I do remember a comic from when I was a kid where the bad guys were using rock concerts to brainwash the crowd to do their evil bidding... some subliminal hippie-hate going on big time back then!
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    Awesome Chris! Must be the reefer madness taking hold! I do remember a comic from when I was a kid where the bad guys were using rock concerts to brainwash the crowd to do their evil bidding... some subliminal hippie-hate going on big time back then!
    yeah big time, i actually remember that.

watch out for space hippies

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MRewcZXEMb8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Sup
    I wonder if all cars were this unsafe if people would drive better
    I think all these Nanny upgrades on cars are making people into a-holes
    You wouldn't want to cut someone off if you knew you had a 50 50 chance of death
    Cars like this could end up saving lives
    I should hide my money under the soap and get me one
    I am slow therefore I am

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    yeah big time, i actually remember that.

watch out for space hippies

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MRewcZXEMb8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Another gem! Looks like Tone's playing the space guitar in the thigh highs... They must be real space hippies cos they've all got free-range fried eggs on their lapels...
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    1960's toronto

Hippies-windowslivewriteryorkvillehippiedom-bafbyorkville1.jpg

fly your freak flag. my parents had a cool night club where a lot of artists hung out...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/utVF8ZSvJJk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Born in '61 I always identified with the hippies because it was obvious to me that the man was holding them down and I always say you should *never* let the man hold you down.

Klackers rule. I still have some here somewhere. Got a pocket fisherman too. Still have a muscle car too and still trying to get it back on the road. There are close cousins to the head shops around, disguised as cigar/cigarette "smoke" shops here. They sell paraphernalia but don't smell of patchouli like the old days. (You may think patchouli stinks, but it reminds me of being young.)

Recently I had a co-worker ask me if I remembered the 70s Hare Krishna movement. She'll never do that again. I turned her trying to
    make fun of them into a lesson on what they were/
    are actually about. Of course now she might be
    making jokes about me too, but hopefully she took
    it as a learning experience.

Back to the subject at hand, I wonder how much
    it'd cost to get a new combi van shipped into the
    states, and at the same time know it'd be a heck of
    a lot more than I'm willing to pay for one.

Bob no wonder we remember all the same stuff we were born the same year 1961'.

Hey what happened to the jackass in the All Mountain forum going whacko on you about the name of his bike. I came into that thread late and he had abandoned it by then.
    Front Range, Colorado.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Hippies

Yeah, I was thinking of actually going down to Brazil to get a combi before the year ends. It wouldn't be legal in the states they say.

humber river advocate
    my dream vehicle is a syncro version of this bad ass ride...

Name:  DO44_WR26_Afrika-toer_4.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  24.2 KB
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of actually going down to Brazil to get a combi before the year ends. It wouldn't be legal in the states they say.
    Just buy one of the original ones from the old day's, that is still in the states. Those are legal here they have all the original non safety equipment. The ones that Brazil has been making aren't legal here because they are considered a "new" vehicle and are way below americas safety standards of today. That was their final downfall in Brazil, the government of Brazil finally banned new sales due to sub par safety standards. So the company folded.

So get one of the original ones already restored or do it yourself.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-27-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast