Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hippies

9 lives

Hippies

Hippies never die, they are just reborn into every generation.

Name:  19c04961-7932-47b1-a53d-cdaec831b081-460x276.jpeg
Views: 1684
Size:  66.3 KB

But the hippie van, the VW combi, will go out of production at the end of the year.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I didn't do it
    Ah, but it'll be with us for decades to come.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Binned
    Nov 2008
    WHAT?! Those things are still in production somewhere on this planet???!!!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    ^NFW!!! Who-da thought that they still made those old fossils???

9 lives
    i thought they stopped making them too... the ones I've seen are "old-looking"
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yep Brazil has been making them for years. The downfall was due to the old design didn't meet government safety standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Who remembers the "Hippies" as a kid? We were taught that they were criminals & drug addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Who remembers the "Hippies" as a kid? We were taught that they were criminals & drug addicts.
    Ha,ha it was a wild time. Growing up as a kid in the. Sixties and then as a teenager through the seventies I remember it all. Sex drugs and rock & roll. Hippie flower child protests everywhere. Pot smoking everywhere and nude beaches. Bell bottoms, hip huggers, flower stickers, black lights, lava lamps, Big Wheels, Krazy Wheels, Lawn Darts, frizbee, Klacker balls, Hot Wheels, Muscle Cars, Posters, head shops I could go on and on. I wouldn't change experiencing that time period for anything.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

I didn't do it
    Ha, what I remember as a kid was that the hippies smelled really bad!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Ha, what I remember as a kid was that the hippies smelled really bad!
    Yes they did but harmless..

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes they did but harmless..
    Indeed, I began realizing that when I started attending Grateful Dead shows.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

9 lives
    "tune in, turn on, drop out"
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Binned
    Nov 2008
    ^Words from a Cracker song!

mtbr member
    I'm ready for another summer of love. Let's do 1967 all over again.

mtbr member
    ^Words from a Cracker song!
    Nope, the words of Timothy Leary.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Who remembers the "Hippies" as a kid?
    I do, they were called Mom and Dad.

My first name is Hezekiah. Not kidding. It could be worse, i could be moon unit flower dweezil or something.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Nope, the words of Timothy Leary.
    The words of Timothy Leary used in a Cracker song!!!

High Desert MTBer
    I am still a hippie... When I left school I moved to Stonehenge... I lasted about 3 days and then realised that dandelion coffee would never cut it. Moved right back to London... Me and a bunch of other like-minded n'er-do-wells took over an entire street of squats in one of the richest parts of Chelsea, right around the corner from Maggie Thatcher's pad, and we caused a good stir!
    As for sex and drugs and rock 'n roll, that came along soon enough too...

Ah the memories!!! (Not too many sadly...)
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

Hippies

Ha,ha it was a wild time. Growing up as a kid in the. Sixties and then as a teenager through the seventies I remember it all. Sex drugs and rock & roll. Hippie flower child protests everywhere. Pot smoking everywhere and nude beaches. Bell bottoms, hip huggers, flower stickers, black lights, lava lamps, Big Wheels, Krazy Wheels, Lawn Darts, frizbee, Klacker balls, Hot Wheels, Muscle Cars, Posters, head shops I could go on and on. I wouldn't change experiencing that time period for anything.
    You're like, really old…
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 60's and 70's were the best time. I really miss
    those days. Now you can't do a damn thing without
    someone getting butt hurt and bent out of shape.

mtbr member
    My time in 'that time', I think is colored by youthfulness and the inherent freedom it affords. Most of which was illusion and brought with it much that was bad and little that was good.
    The best is the music--a time that I doubt will be repeated for creativity and passion.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

9 lives

Somehow the older van looked cooler... but the newer van probably has air conditioning and air bags
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives

I liked the song in that commercial
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The 60's and 70's were the best time. I really miss
    those days. Now you can't do a damn thing without
    someone getting butt hurt and bent out of shape.
    I remember plenty of people getting butt hurt and bent out of shape in those times John, we just didn't care so much then... we were right goddammit!

I do remember the free sex... a bunch of pals and I were pretty messed up one time and one of the guys suggested an orgy... yay! Trouble was, I looked at his gal, then at mine and decided that was not something I needed to happen... he was also looking at me weird, and that was something I didn't need to happen either...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    My time in 'that time', I think is colored by youthfulness and the inherent freedom it affords. Most of which was illusion and brought with it much that was bad and little that was good.
    The best is the music--a time that I doubt will be repeated for creativity and passion.
    I have to agree about the music thing Tude, that same freedom of creativity and the positive encouragement to develop in new directions from record labels was refreshing and exciting. We have not seen such a time since, and even tho the market forces existed in a similar way then, there were not so many people taking a slice of the pie, and a lot of the people feeding off the pie were actually 'into' the music. I could never say that Simon Cowell is 'into' anything except growing breasts and bank balances.
    As for the 'illusion' of freedom, freedom is never an illusion, it is as real now as it was then, we just expected too much of it in the wrong way sometimes, and it blew up in our faces. Much of the gain in human rights awareness and civil rights awareness came from that time, and many hundreds of thousands of people gained an insight into a better way to live and think. Unfortunately, overuse and misuse of drugs buried much of that insight, and prevented the wider acceptance and adoption of these ideas. 1 step forward, 2 steps back!
    It's all Here. Now.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    "tune in, turn on, drop out"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Acg7ojdrpoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Retro on Steroids
    I'm still a hippie. I don't shave or cut what's left of my hair. I was a roadie for a SF rock band in the sixties, worked on shows with Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater, Byrds, Steve Miller, Santana, The Band, Donovan and dozens more.

I smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, been mountain biking with Bob Weir, and the one time I met Janis Joplin she was wearing red panties and red shoes. Pretty sure she had shoes on.

Rabid Lana fan
    Dude, you just may be the last real hippie left.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

I'm just messing with you
    Born in '61 I always identified with the hippies because it was obvious to me that the man was holding them down and I always say you should *never* let the man hold you down.

Klackers rule. I still have some here somewhere. Got a pocket fisherman too. Still have a muscle car too and still trying to get it back on the road. There are close cousins to the head shops around, disguised as cigar/cigarette "smoke" shops here. They sell paraphernalia but don't smell of patchouli like the old days. (You may think patchouli stinks, but it reminds me of being young.)

Recently I had a co-worker ask me if I remembered the 70s Hare Krishna movement. She'll never do that again. I turned her trying to make fun of them into a lesson on what they were/are actually about. Of course now she might be making jokes about me too, but hopefully she took it as a learning experience.

Back to the subject at hand, I wonder how much it'd cost to get a new combi van shipped into the states, and at the same time know it'd be a heck of a lot more than I'm willing to pay for one.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    They all got real jobs, worked their way up the corporate ladder, and became Republican CEOs of mega-corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I could never say that Simon Cowell is 'into' anything except growing breasts and bank balances.
    I'd forgotten all about his manboobs, thanks for reminding me not. Although the episode of 'punked" where they stole his car was a laugh riot with him in a skin-tight white t-shirt.

Much of the gain in human rights awareness and civil rights awareness came from that time
    I was talking to my kid the other night relative to a local news item announcing a pharmacy giving free vitamins to school children, and remembered being in headstart, getting every advantage, free vitamins, food, real physicals and dental care, as part of going to school. So it's sort of ironic that it's many in my generation who reaped those benefits who now like to argue that current and future generations don't deserve the same head start in life.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Old Hippies never die , They just flash back! lol

My Dad had several VW Bus's and we camped in just about every KOA camp I think. We had campers and just regular ones. he had a 66,67,69,71. So many of my childhood memories are tied up in those VWs
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    i wasn't born here in the states my dad did everything he could to get us to a better place away from martial law and violence. thankx, pop! loved me some hippies, vdubs and whatever else you guys served here.

my first solo trip and first real mtb trip both were in a vdub bus, though.

High Desert MTBer
    I do remember the watershed moment in British history when the hippie thing finally rolled over and expired in the UK: It was 1974 at the Windsor Free Festival. This was a completely free festival held on public land right under HM the Queen's royal nostrils in Windsor Great Park near the castle.
    Windsor Free Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There were several stages with a bunch of good bands playing for nothing, or very little. Think Hawkwind at 4 am with Stacey dancing naked in the moonlight on LSD and you will get some idea... I was there with a bunch of old hippie pals making and selling Pita bread pockets with all sorts of healthy fruits and veg in 'em. Not to mention some other stuff we don't talk about. We sold some to some undercover narcs who had a pretty wild night afterwards... they had to be removed by their colleagues.
    After 5 days of craziness, the cops moved in in their hundreds at 5 am and 'broke up' the festival. There were lots of beatings, lots of stupidity, and I spent a few hours leading a BBC news camera crew to the various 'hotspots'... After the event, hundreds ended up in jail, and anyone who had been enjoying the last vestige of the Woodstock spirit, eventually crawled away to whatever hidey-hole they could find to lick their wounds and wonder where that spirit went... It was a sad occasion that ain't written about in any history books, and no one ever made a movie about it...
    After that, I moved into a flat in London with Lemmy and some of the embryonic Motorhead guys, toured with Ian Dury and the Blockheads, and have been on the road constantly since then. Only now I am beginning to understand where it all went wrong, and begin to pick up the pieces of that 'spirit'... It has taken a while, and living in such a beautiful place as Tucson has helped
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    After that, I moved into a flat in London with Lemmy and some of the embryonic Motorhead guys, toured with Ian Dury and the Blockheads, and have been on the road constantly since then. Only now I am beginning to understand where it all went wrong, and begin to pick up the pieces of that 'spirit'... It has taken a while, and living in such a beautiful place as Tucson has helped
    How long did it take you to pick up the pieces from living in a flat with Lemmy? Quite the life you've lived Rocker.

BTW, when I think of metal, I think of "Ace of Spades" first, Sabbath second.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    How long did it take you to pick up the pieces from living in a flat with Lemmy? Quite the life you've lived Rocker.

BTW, when I think of metal, I think of "Ace of Spades" first, Sabbath second.
    The flat was actually Fast Eddie's in West Kensington. There were about 5 of us there, on the second floor of a big old Victorian complex near the tube station. My room had an elevated bed, and a big sash window that was next to a wall and a tree. Lemmy used to get back there sometimes without a key, so would climb the wall/tree, and fall into the window onto my bed. This was when he would wake me and play Monty Python soundtracks, and Murray Roman shows. The cassette cases would get used for something else as he played me the tapes... He always carried a little cassette player with him, and he could recite entire Python scripts perfectly... with the accents... I still run into him now and again, and it is always fun to catch up
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You're like, really old…
    51 is average for this forum.

^ have you done the math, or is that like 3/4s of all other internet statistics, totally made up?

BTW, rocker, that's just amazing to me having never left the same town my entire life. People like you and CK should really get with the book writing while you're able.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    ^ have you done the math, or is that like 3/4s of all other internet statistics, totally made up?

BTW, rocker, that's just amazing to me having never left the same town my entire life. People like you and CK should really get with the book writing while you're able.
    I have several false book starts already! Seems every time I get going at it, I end up going out to work again and it never gets done... one day... if I spent less time riding and posting here, maybe...
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    hippy gangs hate in

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VKCHq14RLt0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    hippy gangs hate in

Awesome Chris! Must be the reefer madness taking hold! I do remember a comic from when I was a kid where the bad guys were using rock concerts to brainwash the crowd to do their evil bidding... some subliminal hippie-hate going on big time back then!
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    Awesome Chris! Must be the reefer madness taking hold! I do remember a comic from when I was a kid where the bad guys were using rock concerts to brainwash the crowd to do their evil bidding... some subliminal hippie-hate going on big time back then!
    yeah big time, i actually remember that.

watch out for space hippies

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MRewcZXEMb8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Sup
    I wonder if all cars were this unsafe if people would drive better
    I think all these Nanny upgrades on cars are making people into a-holes
    You wouldn't want to cut someone off if you knew you had a 50 50 chance of death
    Cars like this could end up saving lives
    I should hide my money under the soap and get me one
    I am slow therefore I am

High Desert MTBer
    yeah big time, i actually remember that.

watch out for space hippies

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MRewcZXEMb8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Another gem! Looks like Tone's playing the space guitar in the thigh highs... They must be real space hippies cos they've all got free-range fried eggs on their lapels...
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    1960's toronto

Hippies-windowslivewriteryorkvillehippiedom-bafbyorkville1.jpg

fly your freak flag. my parents had a cool night club where a lot of artists hung out...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/utVF8ZSvJJk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Born in '61 I always identified with the hippies because it was obvious to me that the man was holding them down and I always say you should *never* let the man hold you down.

Klackers rule. I still have some here somewhere. Got a pocket fisherman too. Still have a muscle car too and still trying to get it back on the road. There are close cousins to the head shops around, disguised as cigar/cigarette "smoke" shops here. They sell paraphernalia but don't smell of patchouli like the old days. (You may think patchouli stinks, but it reminds me of being young.)

Recently I had a co-worker ask me if I remembered the 70s Hare Krishna movement. She'll never do that again. I turned her trying to
    make fun of them into a lesson on what they were/
    are actually about. Of course now she might be
    making jokes about me too, but hopefully she took
    it as a learning experience.

Back to the subject at hand, I wonder how much
    it'd cost to get a new combi van shipped into the
    states, and at the same time know it'd be a heck of
    a lot more than I'm willing to pay for one.

Bob no wonder we remember all the same stuff we were born the same year 1961'.

Hey what happened to the jackass in the All Mountain forum going whacko on you about the name of his bike. I came into that thread late and he had abandoned it by then.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Hippies

Yeah, I was thinking of actually going down to Brazil to get a combi before the year ends. It wouldn't be legal in the states they say.

humber river advocate
    my dream vehicle is a syncro version of this bad ass ride...

Name:  DO44_WR26_Afrika-toer_4.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  24.2 KB
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of actually going down to Brazil to get a combi before the year ends. It wouldn't be legal in the states they say.
    Just buy one of the original ones from the old day's, that is still in the states. Those are legal here they have all the original non safety equipment. The ones that Brazil has been making aren't legal here because they are considered a "new" vehicle and are way below americas safety standards of today. That was their final downfall in Brazil, the government of Brazil finally banned new sales due to sub par safety standards. So the company folded.

So get one of the original ones already restored or do it yourself.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Bob no wonder we remember all the same stuff we were born the same year 1961'.

Hey what happened to the jackass in the All Mountain forum going whacko on you about the name of his bike. I came into that thread late and he had abandoned it by then.
    Yeah it's funny how that works but I guess every generation has touchstones that resonate with them.

As for the whacko, there are way too many of those in the world for me to keep track of them all. Those people make their own anger, but that doesn't mean I have to take it on as my burden.

mtbr member
    Crap, ANOTHER thing that's average about me. (as of two weeks ago)

Always identified with the hippies. It was a real, sincere effort to change the world and people's expectations about life, property, prosperity. Drugs and cynicism bogged it down and eventually co-opted the ideals, gave the squares all the reason they needed to squash the dream.

blip
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    No worries. It's going back into production soon (2014). Now you just need to be a rich hippie because it's going to cost somewhere around 40k!

Hippies-2014-volkswagen-microbus-artists-rendering-photo-376766-s-1280x782.jpg

Hippies-2014-volkswagen-microbus.jpg
    The cake is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You're like, really old…
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Are you sure? I would have thought the couple of 5 y/o that run around in here would have brought down the mean average considerably.
    And who's sock puppet are you exactly. Hiding in a sock all your life is a stinky existence.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u1hnwvWhbJw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Lawn darts haha! Trying bringing those to market in this day and age!!

"Here kids, stand at the other end of the yard, and I'll fling these weighted, sharpened metal spikes at you!"

Fun for the whole family!

Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    No worries. It's going back into production soon (2014). Now you just need to be a rich hippie because it's going to cost somewhere around 40k!
    That is bad ass although not nearly enough room for camping like the old hippie design.40k

Hippies don't wear socks, breh.
    That's true what was I thinking. Who's sandal puppet are you anyway.

I like Crocs.
    I'm getting athletes foot just reading your posts.

mtbr member
    I had a 69 bug and a 71 bus. THe bug had flower stickers and I had hair down my back in a braid half the time. I was not a hippie. I was a freak!
    :-)
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

A God Without A Name
    My town is primarily Hippies. I make Organic Coffee With Organic Milk and Organic Soy, Rice and Almond Milk while selling Organic Pastries at an Organic Bakery in a Co-Op that wants you to know that most of what we sell is Organic.

It's a mixed bag. Most of the old timer hippies, the local hippies. (Also known as the ones I get to work with) are friendly, laid back and educated. but that's only about 30% of the hippies.

then we have all the kids who come here to harvest pot. who expect everyone to give them free stuff. who steal like crazy (especially bikes) and the hardcore transient/druggies.

those people think they get "Hippie"... and they're the 70%. And I hate them. passionately.

Now. the Vegan yoga teacher who is treating herself to a Soy Latte and is willing to pay 4.55 for that so that I can make a living wage. They get it.

They I can like.

but the kids who try to break into the LOCKED bike room in our store (A lot of very expensive bikes in there.) almost every day. the kids that steal coffee, fruit and anything else not nailed down.

they can go back to LA, now.

I didn't do it
    ^ So where do you live?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

^ So where do you live?
    Probably Boulder Colorado or the Hippie District in San Francisco or Ocean Beach in south west San Diego.

I didn't do it
    Probably Boulder Colorado or the Hippie District in San Francisco or Ocean Beach in south west San Diego.
    Sounds like some strong contenders (I have direct experience with da upscale Boulder "hippies").
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

A God Without A Name
    Arcata, CA in Humboldt County.

60's never died here, it just got old.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post

Nice area, my dad grew up in those parts.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

A God Without A Name
    It's PACKED with drug abusers.

Now... Ogden, Utah was packed with druggies too. But they seemed a lot more intelligent and discreet.

If there is such a thing.

Eureka and Arcata are pretty bad. the whole county is pretty bad. but these two cities are suffering the worst of it right now.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's where ALL the hippies are!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yeah, that's where ALL the hippies are!
    At least some of them

Oh, and we should include South Park in there as well.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    At least some of them

More redneck ranchers than hippies in the real South Park.

Chico
    Madison
    Telluride
    Crested Butte
    Bisbee
    Taos
    Santa Cruz
    Amhurst
    Asheville
    Durango
    Sedona
    Humbolt
    Santa Fe

And on and on...
    They are everywhere! (thankfully)

Lawn darts haha! Trying bringing those to market in this day and age!!

"Here kids, stand at the other end of the yard, and I'll fling these weighted, sharpened metal spikes at you!"

Fun for the whole family!

Exactly! There were so many thing's we had as kids in that era that wouldn't fly today.

1] Remember the red plastic boomerang that was 1' X 1' made by Whammo. How many kids were killed playing with those. We would throw it out 100' and it would come right back to you. Freaking chop your head off if it hit you right.

2] Oh and Botchy Balls / balls made out of heavy hard rubber the size of a cantelope. Throw it to the other side of the lawn kids.

3] And the Klacker balls I mentioned earlier. Two balls hard resin clear balls slightly bigger than a golf ball. Connected by a string. A metal circle in the middle to slip on your middle finger. Alright kidsmove your arm and wrist up and down and the glass like balls will smash together at the top and at the bottom in a rapid motion. They were outlawed because they shattered with shrapnel flying everywhere.

4] Oh and how about the giant rubber ball that had a rubber handle at the top. Kids would sit on it and bounce around. They were outlawed because they would blow up. Years later they came out with a smaller safer version.

5] Oh and how about the ZIP CARS. A toy car made out of steel about a foot long. It had a metal wheel in the center with a hard rubber tire. And a gear around the wheel. You would take a hard plastic strip that had matching gear teeth along it. Slip it all the way in and pull it out as fast as you could.Then set the car on the ground. They were clocked at something like 70 m.p.h. Ha,ha a foot long metal car shaped like a dragster going 70 m.p.h. Sounds like a great toy kids go play, supper at 5:00 They were also outlawed. And years later a scaled down plastic version the size of a Hot Wheel hit the market.

6] Oh and what about the water rockets. These things were real safe also. A plastic rocket abour 9" long that is jet propelled via watwr. You fill the rocket up with water. Then hook up a pump to the bottom pump up as much air as you can muster strength wise. Then hold your arm out as far away from your face as you could. Press a button at the bottom which released the huge amount of pressure. And zip the rocket launched 100' up shooting water down as it went. How many kids got hit in the face with those. They stopped making them then years later came out with a version that wouldn't hold the pressure. It leaked on purpose so it wasn't so deadly.

7] Oh and before my time in the fifties and early sixties they had a metal rifle that you put ping pong balls in. Then pump it up with air like a pellet gun. That sucker shot a ping pong ball hard enough togive you a welt 30' away. I know because my older cousin had one.

Edit add on:

8] Oh and what about the Hot Wheels gas station. You send a Hot wheel down an incline and right when it was losing momentum it would enter the gas station garage door. Inside was 2 spongy wheels that were electricity spinning. The Hot wheel would hit the wheels that gripped the car from the sides. It would shoot the Hot Wheel out the other side at Mach I speed. Ha,ha sounds safe to me. A metal Hot Wheel going Mach One.

9] Lawn Dart's probably the most dangerous of all. A steel dart with a pointed end about a foot long with plastic feathers like a real dart. It weighed about a 1/4 LB. You would hold them by the end and swing your arm in an under throw movement and let go at the end of the swing, like a softball pitch. Trying to reach a certain point on the other side of the lawn. Are you kidding me how many kid's are coordinated enough to let go at the optimum point. They could fly in any direction, they were actually an adult game but back then the adults weren't carful enough to lock them up. Store them in the garage and forget about them. Even most adults weren't good at throwing them, especially half hammered. The kid's would find them and have a field day. They were outlawed for good. And if I remember right kid's died because of them.

Tons more insane toys from back then.. If you think of any add them in.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Chico
    Madison
    Telluride
    Crested Butte
    Bisbee
    Taos
    Santa Cruz
    Amhurst
    Asheville
    Durango
    Sedona
    Humbolt
    Santa Fe

And on and on...
    Apparently I missed a couple places.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Hippies

Just buy one of the original ones from the old day's, that is still in the states. Those are legal here they have all the original non safety equipment. The ones that Brazil has been making aren't legal here because they are considered a "new" vehicle and are way below americas safety standards of today. That was their final downfall in Brazil, the government of Brazil finally banned new sales due to sub par safety standards. So the company folded.

So get one of the original ones already restored or do it yourself.
    Heh, I know a few of the guys at Go Westy and it seems to them that a combi is cheaper than a restoration project. It's handy that I can weld, but besides that there's a lot of work most buses need. Keeping a combi has risks of course.

Chico
    Madison
    Telluride
    Crested Butte
    Bisbee
    Taos
    Santa Cruz
    Amhurst
    Asheville
    Durango
    Sedona
    Humbolt
    Santa Fe

And on and on...
    Been to those places....did something there. This page needs a hippy list.

Ashland,
    ...the LO part of SLO

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

High Desert MTBer
    Apparently I missed a couple places.
    You gotta say that those hippies appreciate a beautiful place!!!

And DJ, some of those 'toys' you mention were just there to edumacate you how to stay alive in a cruel world! When I was about 10 years old, we used to build our own bows and arrows using willow branches and garden canes filed down and tipped as arrows. We got pretty good at doing this, and they were pretty darn accurate! I got shot in the calf with one one day by one of my own little gang as we were facing off with another group of kids. He had been holding his bow with an arrow ready and tensioned, and accidentally let it go. The sucker buried itself about an inch and a half into my leg, but I COULDN'T SHOW WEAKNESS. I gritted my teeth, reached down and pulled out the arrow without breaking off the stream of abuse and false bravado being hurled back and forth between gang 'leaders'... That totally did the trick, and the other kids backed down and buggered off when they saw what a hard man I was! I'd call it stupidity on my part, and I became a hippie not long after...
    It's all Here. Now.

humber river advocate
    where i live there are a few old time hippies around. they tend to support/own smaller businesses, organic/small farms, arts/intellectual pursuits, and sustainable environmentally friendly methods/communities. plus they are just interesting intelligent people. then you have the other side who are wrapped up in popular culture materialism. it's the old time hippies that make the town bearable to live in. though i do see young people coming up through the ranks. i think it is important to show them alternatives to the status quo and different ways of thinking/living their lives.

on side note, thank fully my hood has events like this... which is an awesome event to attend.

Hippies-farmstock_inthehills.gif

My town is primarily Hippies. I make Organic Coffee With Organic Milk and Organic Soy, Rice and Almond Milk while selling Organic Pastries at an Organic Bakery in a Co-Op that wants you to know that most of what we sell is Organic.

It's a mixed bag. Most of the old timer hippies, the local hippies. (Also known as the ones I get to work with) are friendly, laid back and educated. but that's only about 30% of the hippies.

then we have all the kids who come here to harvest pot. who expect everyone to give them free stuff. who steal like crazy (especially bikes) and the hardcore transient/druggies.

those people think they get "Hippie"... and they're the 70%. And I hate them. passionately.

Now. the Vegan yoga teacher who is treating herself to a Soy Latte and is willing to pay 4.55 for that so that I can make a living wage. They get it.

They I can like.

but the kids who try to break into the LOCKED bike room in our store (A lot of very expensive bikes in there.) almost every day. the kids that steal coffee, fruit and anything else not nailed down.

they can go back to LA, now.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

History repeats itself. George Harrison went to the Haight in 67 expecting to find utopia and instead found homeless strung out drug addicts, runaways, and the mentally ill. Not sure but it might have been there that he invited the Hells Angels to drop in on Apple Studios, where they later moved in for an extended period. It was an awakening, both spiritual and material I think.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_I-ThafU1e4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    It's handy that I can weld, but besides that there's a lot of work most buses need.
    I've learned that the hard part of restoration isn't the welding, it's the straightening that comes afterward.

And the Klacker balls I mentioned earlier. Two balls hard resin clear balls slightly bigger than a golf ball. Connected by a string. A metal circle in the middle to slip on your middle finger. Alright kids move your arm and wrist up and down and the glass like balls will smash together at the top and at the bottom in a rapid motion. They were outlawed because they shattered with shrapnel flying everywhere.
    They'd raise a goose-egg blister on your finger too from the strings, so at one point they put a plastic tube there so the strings didn't rub your finger. The problem is, it rubbed the plastic and would break, sending the balls flying.

Then there was the way the balls tended to whack you right on the edge of your thumb-side arm bone (not looking up the name of that) and hurt like crazy.

Those things were crazy fun and bad news all around.

Hot Wheels
    I had a big hot wheels collection, tracks and all. I can tell you from experience those track segments made great switches. Many a time they turned from toy to tool of punishment when I'd act up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I do remember the watershed moment in British history when the hippie thing finally rolled over and expired in the UK: It was 1974 at the Windsor Free Festival. This was a completely free festival held on public land right under HM the Queen's royal nostrils in Windsor Great Park near the castle.
    Windsor Free Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You just never know what kind of cool stuff you'll learn about on a mountain bike forum!

A God Without A Name
    it's the old time hippies that make the town bearable to live in.
    This.

They'd raise a goose-egg blister on your finger too from the strings, so at one point they put a plastic tube there so the strings didn't rub your finger. The problem is, it rubbed the plastic and would break, sending the balls flying.

Then there was the way the balls tended to whack you right on the edge of your thumb-side arm bone (not looking up the name of that) and hurt like crazy.

Those things were crazy fun and bad news all around.

I had a big hot wheels collection, tracks and all. I
    can tell you from experience those track segments
    made great switches. Many a time they turned
    from toy to tool of punishment when I'd act up.
    Oh yeah I remember when they put plastic tubing on the strings. And yes I got hit by those things many times and it hurt like hell but that didn't stop us from going back for more. Too fun!

I also was a huge Hot Wheels nut like you. I guess that's why we both have an appreciation for the
    60's & 70's muscle cars. I didn't mention Hot
    Wheels because of I was trying to only name the
    dangerous toys. But yeah we used the tracks to
    whip eachother...OUCH! That smarts.

Oh and what about the Hot Wheels gas station.
    You send a Hot wheel down an incline and right
    when it was losing momentum it would enter the
    gas station garage door. Inside was 2 spongy
    wheels that were electricity spinning. The Hot
    wheel would hit the wheels that gripped the car
    from the sides. It would shoot the Hot Wheel out
    the other side at Mach I speed. Ha,ha sounds safe to me. A metal Hot Wheel going Mach One.

It would shoot the Hot Wheel out
    the other side at Mach I speed. Ha,ha sounds safe to me. A metal Hot Wheel going Mach One.

I didn't have that, and it's probably a good thing. I'd have been the guy telling other kids to put their face down there and see how it works. SMACK!

You gotta say that those hippies appreciate a beautiful place!!!

And DJ, some of those 'toys' you mention were just there to edumacate you how to stay alive in a cruel world! When I was about 10 years old, we used to build our own bows and arrows using willow
    branches and garden canes filed down and tipped
    as arrows. We got pretty good at doing this, and
    they were pretty darn accurate! I got shot in the
    calf with one one day by one of my own little gang
    as we were facing off with another group of kids.
    He had been holding his bow with an arrow ready
    and tensioned, and accidentally let it go. The
    sucker buried itself about an inch and a half into
    my leg, but I COULDN'T SHOW WEAKNESS. I
    gritted my teeth, reached down and pulled out the
    arrow without breaking off the stream of abuse
    and false bravado being hurled back and forth
    between gang 'leaders'... That totally did the trick,
    and the other kids backed down and buggered off
    when they saw what a hard man I was! I'd call it
    stupidity on my part, and I became a hippie not
    long after...
    Great story RC tbe things we did back then for amusement amazes me. We made bows as well and hat a blast. My dad was a big time hunter so naturally I was as well, when I was young, not as an adult though. So because of that at age 8 I got a real bow and arrow 35 lb. draw. Then at 10 a B.B. gun and at 12 a pellet gun then at 14 a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun and a high powered 30.06 rifle. Crazy huh!
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-29-2013 at 01:13 PM.

****** to the dirt

And the Klacker balls I mentioned earlier. Two balls hard resin clear balls slightly bigger than a golf ball. Connected by a string. A metal circle in the middle to slip on your middle finger. Alright kids move your arm and wrist up and down and
    the glass like balls will smash together at the top
    and at the bottom in a rapid motion. They were
    outlawed because they shattered with shrapnel
    flying everywhere.
    Don't remeber those but we use to take chestnuts with string and whacked them together, the one that broke the other one won. So we got smart and froze the chestnuts and smashed them together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Don't remeber those but we use to take chestnuts with string and whacked them together, the one that broke the other one won. So we got smart and froze the chestnuts and smashed them together.
    Conkers Deke... shoulda roasted them just a little first, hardens 'em up nicely!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I once got a black eye from a Stretch Armstrong.
    Remember those black pellets you could light on fire and they would make snakes?
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

****** to the dirt
    Conkers Deke... shoulda roasted them just a little first, hardens 'em up nicely!
    did you just call me conkers.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Young Humboldt hippies are not hippies. I like the towns of Eureka and Arcata, as they have a seedy underbelly, alongside natural beauty and some interesting architecture. However, all those young homeless lost souls there are some weird combination of gutter punk, skater, hippie, tweaker, and street kid. Most of those aforementioned groups at least believed in something and have/had some kind of ethos for living life to the fullest. The Humboldt kids--and some are in their mid-30's mind you--just want to use and not give a fu#*. I wonder how many of them came from money vs. how many came from drug using hippie parents vs. broken homes. They have some weird sense of entitlement. Like they deserve the stuff they rip off or the money they panhandle on the streets. I got yelled at on the streets a couple of times because I wouldn't give some kid a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    did you just call me conkers.........
    Thank-you for that deke I just LMFAO.

A God Without A Name
    Young Humboldt hippies are not hippies. I like the towns of Eureka and Arcata, as they have a seedy underbelly, alongside natural beauty and some interesting architecture. However, all those young homeless lost souls there are some weird combination of gutter punk, skater, hippie, tweaker, and street kid. Most of those aforementioned groups at least believed in something and have/had some kind of ethos for living life to the fullest. The Humboldt kids--and some are in their mid-30's mind you--just want to use and not give a fu#*. I wonder how many of them came from money vs. how many came from drug using hippie parents vs. broken homes. They have some weird sense of entitlement. Like they deserve the stuff they rip off or the money they panhandle on the streets. I got yelled at on the streets a couple of times because I wouldn't give some kid a buck.
    Do you live near here? you understand it so well. kids who are dressed better than I am expect me to give them whatever I have, because they asked for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you live near here? you understand it so well. kids who are dressed better than I am expect me to give them whatever I have, because they asked for it.
    I'm up in Oregon along Hwy 101. I've only visited Humboldt once for 3-4 days. I've seen folks like the Humboldt street druggies about the country. Humboldt just collects a large number of them in one place. They actually fight against pot legalization in Humboldt County because it would destroy the illegal economy in the area. I kind of like a lot about Humboldt, and the towns you live in/near, even though I'm only a dabbler...if you know what I'm saying. I don't care much about what people believe in, so long as they believe in something, and try to live a meaningful life even if it's a life in service of nihilism. But nihilism without belief or discipline is pretty stupid. That's what would drive me crazy about Humboldt.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 09-28-2013 at 10:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Those were the days...but then again the older I get the better I was.

At age 16 and 2 days I got my drivers license in a ''77 vw bus. And this just after recently purchasing a qp of panama red for $35 and partaking a bunch right before heading to the police barracks to take the drivers test. Got my learners permit the same way 2 days earlier and that's only because they were closed on sunday. Used to drive around cranking up the Who song "Magic Bus" all the time thinking I was cool trying to burn rubber at every stop sign with it's whopping 70hp motor. Had lots of fun in that thing for a couple years before I wrecked it into a pole spinning donuts in the snow. I think gettin laid and/or getting wasted is easier nowadays for a 16 year old but then again maybe thats because I was cruzin around in a vw bus when my friends had comaro's or nova's. At least we didn't have to worry about AIDs back then.

Im in better shape now then I was at 16 and I still have all my hair.
    Help, I'm a rock!

banned
    Sep 2007
    At least some of them

We have some residual hippies in Topanga, CA

9 lives
    My childhood and teen years were spent in the 70's and into the 80's. So my hippie influences were a little after ... but I learned of hippie culture mostly through the media, and music. I tried straightening my hair, and remember wearing fringe jackets, mini skirts and hip hugger jeans. Although it didn't make me a hippie

The most profound influences were observing events on tv like war protests, the women's movement matches and so on... those images probably affected my political compass and the courses I chose to study in school

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    My childhood and teen years were spent in the 70's and into the 80's. So my hippie influences were a little after ... but I learned of hippie culture mostly through the media, and music. I tried straightening my hair, and remember wearing fringe jackets, mini skirts and hip hugger jeans. Although it didn't make me a hippie

The most profound influences were observing
    events on tv like war protests, the women's
    movement matches and so on... those images
    probably affected my political compass and the
    courses I chose to study in school
    Judy did you know Cat Stevens is banned from entering the U.S.A. BBC NEWS | Americas | Cat Stevens refused entry to US

High Desert MTBer
    Judy did you know Cat Stevens is banned from entering the U.S.A. BBC NEWS | Americas | Cat Stevens refused entry to US
    Yusuf Islam you mean... he converted to Islam waaay back... I used to love his music around the 'Tea for the Tillerman' time. Then with Moonshadow and onwards he lost it for me...
    He made some ill-thought remarks about Islam and the role of the US in the broad scheme of things, and he is persona non grata...
    It's all Here. Now.

9 lives
    I liked his music when he was Cat Stevens I don't support his current views

I read that he developed tuberculosis ... got quite ill and he completely changed
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

ENDO!!!

I was born and raised in Fortuna, so as soon as I read your previous post, I figured you lived in Arcata! About all the family I have left there are my Grandma in Fortuna and a Uncle in McKinleyville.
    Just circles turning circles....

ENDO!!!
    I'm up in Oregon along Hwy 101. I've only visited Humboldt once for 3-4 days. I've seen folks like the Humboldt street druggies about the country. Humboldt just collects a large number of them in one place. They actually fight against pot legalization in Humboldt County because it would destroy the illegal economy in the area. I kind of like a lot about Humboldt, and the towns you live in/near, even though I'm only a dabbler...if you know what I'm saying. I don't care much about what people believe in, so long as they believe in something, and try to live a meaningful life even if it's a life in service of nihilism. But nihilism without belief or discipline is pretty stupid. That's what would drive me crazy about Humboldt.
    Another issue with Humboldt is in the mid 90's they passed a law where you could get public assistance(welfare) without proof of residency in the county. You could put your address as general delivery to any post office in the county and get free welfare. My Mom worked at the welfare dept. when this was enacted. Lots of tax dollars going to people that came to the county just for the welfare, and stuck around.
    Just circles turning circles....

banned
    Sep 2007
    I think Licious lives somewhere in Canada.... Is the Artist Formerly known at Cat Stevens banned from Canada too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast