Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hip-hop

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hip-hop

Been going through some YouTube vida for the past few hours of old school hip-hop. Souls of mischief, tribe, camp Lo, pharcyde, Keith murry. I miss music like this. Who were some of your favorites. Post vids, discuss, Let's remember what was real. No fighting. I think ready to die and southernplayalisticcadillacmusik are my 2 favorite albums of all time.

This is probably my favorite song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyFY...e_gdata_player
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Is not amused
    First responder. While I love hip/hop and underground rap. I can safely say I could count the number of members on this site on my hand that enjoys this genre of music. Don't know why nor do I want to turn this into a debate by responding to this. Favorites from the early 90's were the WU, Onyx, and, Mobb deep.

Capleton & Method Man - Wings Of The Morning - YouTube

who sampled...

Otis Redding - Hard To Handle - YouTube! -RIP

both great songs IMO
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 05-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    First responder. While I love hip/hop and underground rap. I can safely say I could count the number of members on this site that enjoys this type of genre of music.
    i can count too

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i can count too
    LOL, should have proofread typing that one.

Retired User
    Tribe, De La, B-Boys, NWA, Biggie, early Snoop, early Hov, Dre, Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, The Roots....probably The Roots more than anyone.

That's about it, I could care less about the rest.

Is not amused
    Throwing a couple names into this. Before they started making new style music which I dislike.

Outkast - Jazzy Belle - YouTube

and

The Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Outkast has been one of my favs since the beginning. I still respect them with the more modern stuff even though its not the same. They get older and realize its time to just cater to the masses but at least they still come up with decent **** and not a song strictly chanting your name and a catchphrase over and over with a short verse consisting of the n-word and hoes every rhyme.

Props to the one posting digable planets. Totally forgot about them. Im also a huge fan of very early UGK and 8ball/mjg.

They just dont make them like they used too.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Monzie sent me a crapload that were good, but i think i lost some of that list in the great PM purge of 2012. Perhaps he will chime in.

its silly, but i liked one of the D12 albums. mostly for the humor...but the some of the beats were good, not gonna lie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    D12 wasn't bad. There's still a lot of good hip-hop out there these days. You never hear that stuff on the radio. I do like when the pop stations have early morning old school throwback shows. They play like slick Rick and fat boys , nwa. They only do it when no ones listening haha. As far as modern goes I looooove atmosphere , mfdoom, talib and mos def, del, aesop rock just to think of a random few. These guys know to stay away from the big time. All it will do is force them to change. I absolutely love wale's cd "ambition" he's pretty mainstream but I still dig it. That song lotus flower bomb is the jam! Helped me out on a date this past Saturday.

Here's some pharcyde. Doom sampled some of this in a mixtape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjsPG0Kspxo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

I'm guessing you're looking at nineties hip-hop as old skool. Boot Camp Clik, WU, De La, Black Moon, Smif n' Wessun(now Cocoa Brovaz), Tribe, Souls, all the big names( Snoop, Dre, Pac, Biggie, et al.), The Coup, Dead Prez, Digital Underground, Shock G, Company Flow, Buckshot, Mac Dre, Andre Nickatina, Cougnut. If we go back to the eighties there's a few more. There is also a ton more from the nineties but this is all I feel like typing right now. Hutch get your music listing skillzzzz on yo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yea i was born in 87. My brother and uncle were both in their teens and taught me about hip-hop when I was little. My first taste was when I was given "license to ill" on cassette. Fell in love. My first cd was naught by nature.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I'm guessing you're looking at nineties hip-hop as old skool. Boot Camp Clik, WU, De La, Black Moon, Smif n' Wessun(now Cocoa Brovaz), Tribe, Souls, all the big names( Snoop, Dre, Pac, Biggie, et al.), The Coup, Dead Prez, Digital Underground, Shock G, Company Flow, Buckshot, Mac Dre, Andre Nickatina, Cougnut. If we go back to the eighties there's a few more. There is also a ton more from the nineties but this is all I feel like typing right now. Hutch get your music listing skillzzzz on yo.
    Later today, after I get done typing all of it.

Is not amused

Cool-blue Rhythm

This isn't in order but here we go.

Public enemy, De la soul, Beastie boys, Big pun, Dre dog-Andre Nickatina, Too short, Apathy, Beanie Sigel, MOP, Bone thugs, 2pac, BIG, Busta rhymes, Celph titled, Cam'ron, Styles P, Jadakiss, Crime mob, Cunninlynguists, Cypress Hill, 2-11, 7L-Esteroric, AOTP, Xzibit, Vinnie Paz, Ill bill, Immortal technique, 36mafia, Tech9, Swollen members, Snoop, Dre, Scarface, Run DMC, Eazy e, Racketeer influenced, Pastor Troy, Nas, Kammurda, JMT, Ice cube, Gravediggaz, Geto boys, Dead prez, D block, Blac haze, Atmoshpere, Crucial Conflict, Goodie Mob, Ice-t, NWA, Alchemist, Diabolic, Talib Kweli, Killah Priest, Canibus, EPMD, Fat Joe, KRS-one, Mos-Def, RA the rugged man, Shyheim, Ultramagnetic MC's, The Roots, Jay z, Da lench mob, Hieroglyphics, Fugees, Slick Rick, Special Ed, Biz Markie, Rakim, A tribe call quest, Common Sense, Redman, Guru, Gang starr, Kid Capri, Jurassic 5, Delinquent Habit, Deltron 3030, and Grandmaster flash.

Probably left a few out but that's a run down of all the artist I listen to for the hip/hop side and like. Some have changed their ways which is sad but, that about covers it.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 05-22-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Sheek Louch and Dungeon Family! SNS Crew, Cash Money.
    Last edited by monzie; 05-24-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Afric Pepperbird
    My hip does not hop, and probably never will.

Retired User
    As an aside, I haven't seen many hip-hop acts live - Beastie Boys once, Coolie once , The Roots twice. Damn, The Roots get it done live..saw them both times in their home city of Philly, something about a hip-hop band that can actually play conventional instruments instead of studio produced synth / samples, etc. Old, low res vid from '96:

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    This isn't in order but here we go.

Public enemy, De la soul, Beastie boys, Big pun, Dre dog-Andre Nickatina, Too short, Apathy, Beanie Sigel, MOP, Bone thugs, 2pac, BIG, Busta rhymes, Celph titled, Cam'ron, Styles P, Jadakiss, Crime mob, Cunninlynguists, Cypress Hill, 2-11, 7L-Esteroric, AOTP, Xzibit, Vinnie Paz, Ill bill, Immortal technique, 36mafia, Tech9, Swollen members, Snoop, Dre, Scarface, Run DMC, Eazy e, Racketeer influenced, Pastor Troy, Nas, Kammurda, JMT, Ice cube, Gravediggaz, Geto boys, Dead prez, D block, Blac haze, Atmoshpere, Crucial Conflict, Goodie Mob, Ice-t, NWA, Alchemist, Diabolic, Talib Kweli, Killah Priest, Canibus, EPMD, Fat Joe, KRS-one, Mos-Def, RA the rugged man, Shyheim, Ultramagnetic MC's, The Roots, Jay z, Da lench mob, Hieroglyphics, Fugees, Slick Rick, Special Ed, Biz Markie, Rakim, A tribe call quest, Common Sense, Redman, Guru, Gang starr, Kid Capri, Jurassic 5, Delinquent Habit, Deltron 3030, and Grandmaster flash.

Probably left a few out but that's a run down of all the artist I listen to for the hip/hop side and like. Some have changed their ways which is sad but, that about covers it.
    In red deserves more than an honorable mention

Eric B and Rakim are to hip hop what Led Zeppelin is to rock-n-roll, unfortunately their videos are the absolute worst.

Erick B&Rakim -In the ghetto - YouTube

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    And then there's this-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hip-hop-zipzaprap.jpg  

You know what sucks; I had three other people that you should have listed and can't remember them now. That's right, I spent all day thinking, I had to keep checking your list to see if you had listed them. It was rediculous. And now, no clue what I came up with.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    You know what sucks; I had three other people that you should have listed and can't remember them now. That's right, I spent all day thinking, I had to keep checking your list to see if you had listed them. It was ridiculous. And now, no clue what I came up with.
    Happened to me while making my list.

Monz, what was that awesome Vietnam song? i'd post it as a video here....
    fap

RA the Rugged Man--Uncommon Valor.

the vid is almost silly. spooky good song though
    fap

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    the vid is almost silly. spooky good song though
    Full version with lyrics in your post now. It's actually based on his father.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast