Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

High School Reunion Stories?

My 10 year high school reunion is coming up next month. I'm trying to decide if I really want to go, or not. Sure, it would be nice to see some old friends, but I'll have to travel, and get a hotel room, blah blah blah...not sure if it's worth the trouble or not. That, and the wife might have to go to a conference for work the same weekend, so I won't have any arm candy (or a designated driver).

I was hoping I'd be a billionaire by now, so I could go and rub it in everyone's face...but we know how those things work out

I was hoping you guys had some awesome stories (good or bad ) to help sway me one way or the other. Lets hear em...the more embarrassing the better!

Ride More, Whine Less
    I don't have any desire to go to a reunion, otherwise known as a "look at me" bragfest. I would say run and never look back. Spend the money on bike stuff or donate it to charity.

Retired User
    I've never been to one, but as I understand it, the word on the street at my last reunion was that I had died.
    Last edited by wbmason55; 09-16-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    They just had our 10 year reunion last month and I had absolutely no desire to go to it. They sent out the invites via a 10 year reunion facebook page and it was a bunch of people that I didn't talk to in high school and still have no desire to talk to. I keep in actual contact with 2 people from highschool and I don't need to buy $90 dollar tickets to some BS event to hang out with them.

My HS's 10yr reunion was a few years ago. I was getting chemo 800 miles away so there was no question that I wasn't going. But not like I would have anyway. What appears to be a dozen or fewer people showed up to have a cookout at a park. My graduating class was over 500, so if that gives you much of an idea....I think my class officers were piss poor party planners (say that 3 times fast). I'd have to be a killer party planned for me to travel that far and get a hotel and all that.

My 10yr college reunion is going to be next fall and I wouldn't miss that for the world. Lots of good friends I haven't seen in years. A few made it to my wedding, but it's still been years since I've seen them.

mtbr member
    I had a fine time in high school, and used to think I would want to go to my reunions. Then ended up prioritizing other things over them the first couple of times.

I ended up going to my wife's reunion with her and it was super boring. Then I realized it had been so long (I moved across the country) since I had seen most of the people in my class that they would really be strangers to me at this point also. I've kept in touch with a handful of friends, and would really rather spend quality time with them rather than traveling to see folks I haven't cared enough to call or email for decades.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    I couldn't wait to get out of high school and start life. I have no desires to go relive that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I couldn't wait to get out of high school and start life. I have no desires to go relive that time.
    Same here.

I was one of the kids who didn't fit in with all the "cool kids" that were in to team sports and partying.All my friends skated,surfed,or rode bikes.I still keep in touch with a few of them.

mtbr member
    Interesting.

I think the reason that I'm really on the fence comes down to Facebook. I talk to the friends I had in high school on a somewhat regular basis, because we all have this "thing" that allows us to keep in way more touch than we all need. I was somewhat a middle of the pack kid. Not particularly popular, but got along with everyone pretty well....no enemies to speak of. No real close friends either, though.

The OTHER side of it, is that are people that I would of never kept in touch with, that I know all the intricate details of their life! Which is why I think it'd be funny to go. I know all about divorces, and people who got knocked up and probably don't know who the daddies actually are. I know who got arrested for a DWI last week, and who hates someone else because they slept with their husband. Hell, I know is trying to screw the government, and get food stamps even though she doesn't qualify (can't believe what people will write on the internet). AND these are all people who I didn't particularly like. It'll be a trashy disaster! (I should say, I grew up in a small town--graduating class of 80 people...minus the 10% or so that dropped out senior year)

I have a feeling you guys are right...It'll be a waste of time. I was hoping someone would have a story of people getting drunk and dancing on tables or something. I've watched to many movies over the years I guess. hahahaha

I dunno. The other option on the table is to still make the trip (I want to see my parents...been quite a while since I was down there), and take the MTB. There are some AWESOME trails where my parents live now (Cameron Park, in Waco, TX for those familiar).

hrm...bike or reunion...bike or reunion...

pin it
    I've never attended a reunion (highschool or university), I grew up in a small mining town and I was one of the few HS graduates that continued my studies and remained single (for a long time)

I am slightly curious what old schoolmates look like now but I am certain that my lifestyle is very different from the norm .

I guess I'm not very nostagic either
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I had a frickin' blast at mine. Looking forward to the next one. If you liked people then, you will like them now. I even liked some I didn't like then.

If you even half way enjoyed high school, I say pony up.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

FKA Malibu412
    Wait 20 years and make plans for the 30. That's when the real stuff matters to most folks. Many are fat and/or addicted to cosmetic surgery, been through 2-3 marriages, fun times.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    I went to my 10 year reunion and the a$$holes were still a$$holes. I haven't done one since. The good thing is I ride with two of my high school buddies ( actually grade school ). I don't do facebook, but my 40th is coming up next year and I am kind of wondering what all the socialites look like now.

Yes I'm old.

see me rollin, they hatin
    got drunk and yelled at a kid for picking on me in second-grade gym class. i still remembered....and OH GOD IT HURT!

i also vaguely remembered a pervy kid asking if he could take pics of me naked. then one of the popular girls was like "oh nicole, you havent changed!" (after i said something goofy). i should have had the balls to ask "did you even remember who the hell i am? what the fck?"

then i dropped my pants and urinated in the parking lot.
    fap

one sick puppy
    Oh Nicole, That made me laugh so hard I couldn't get my pants down and now my office chair is very damp.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    got drunk and yelled at a kid for picking on me in second-grade gym class. i still remembered....and OH GOD IT HURT!

i also vaguely remembered a pervy kid asking if he could take pics of me naked. then one of the popular girls was like "oh nicole, you havent changed!" (after i said something goofy). i should have had the balls to ask "did you even remember who the hell i am? what the fck?"

then i dropped my pants and urinated in the parking lot.
    These are the hilarious stories I was hoping for

Maybe I should go get drunk and yell at the girl who broke my finger in 4th grade gym!!!

BTW---last time I saw a girl peeing in a parking lot, she fell over. Into her own pee. I hope you had better balance than that

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    They just had our 10 year reunion last month and I had absolutely no desire to go to it. They sent out the invites via a 10 year reunion facebook page and it was a bunch of people that I didn't talk to in high school and still have no desire to talk to. I keep in actual contact with 2 people from highschool and I don't need to buy $90 dollar tickets to some BS event to hang out with them.
    My sentiments EXACTLY.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post
    These are the hilarious stories I was hoping for

Maybe I should go get drunk and yell at the girl who broke my finger in 4th grade gym!!!

BTW---last time I saw a girl peeing in a parking lot, she fell over. Into her own pee. I hope you had better balance than that
    all my trail pees gave me plenty of practice. thats what they get for closing down the trainstation potties after midnight
    fap

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In Santa Cruz, it's a tight community, so we have "all class reunions" every couple of years. We didn't have very exclusive cliques, so everybody is really cool. We always have a blast... still keep in touch with a lot of my high school acquiatences through FB. In fact, I see a lot of them riding the mtb trails and along the beach cliffs checking out the waves on beach cruisers.

We had a MTB racing team back in the early 90's at Santa Cruz High.

Chicks: The 9's and 10's from HS become 4's and 5's and the 4's and 5's become 8's, 9's and 10's. A lot of the "eh" chicks became serious foxes in their 30's.

Something about growing up at the beach and having some of the best trails in North America.

No known cure
    I didn't go to my 10th. Heard it was a d!ck measuring contest. I went to my 20th. Mostly to see the crew I hung out with in elementary school. I had a good time and we drank all the booze in the hotel, then most went to the bar next door. It was no different than a high school backyard kegger. I slept in my car.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

barely a mtbr
    At my 10th some of the cheerleaders dressed up a small classmate (guy) in a cheer uniform and they did a full routine with him.

At my 20th some chick got drunk and topless in the ballroom. Also, a classmate's "girlfriend" couldn't make it because she was a "model" and had a "photoshoot" the same weekend. Some things never change.

mtbr member
    Graduated in 1976, enlisted in 1978 and have not returned to where I graduated from ever since. My former school has a school wide reunion each and every year and i still get invited but do not attend. Am I missing anything? Who knows and as long as I never go I won't know either.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How do you get invited to these reunions? I've been out of HS for 12 years now and no word.

well guys, there is an ad with dancing skeletons telling me i need to go back to school. i better listen....
    fap

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I don't have any desire to go to a reunion, otherwise known as a "look at me" bragfest. I would say run and never look back. Spend the money on bike stuff or donate it to charity.
    Ezzzzactly my sediment on the issue. The people I was friends with then are still my friends now. Now need to go back in time for me. I wasn't into the "sosh", "click" high school thing. I have heard from my friends that some of my former classmates are using places like Facebook to try to get a hold of me. Haaaa!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast