Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Ride More, Whine Less

Heyyall's screw the weather thread

We are rounding out our 24th hour of rain. No, the moisture isn't going away; it is just switching from rain to freezing rain right now. In a bit, it should be converting to snow. Just as an added bonus, I get to drive in to work before the sun comes up.

Carry on.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    We are rounding out our 24th hour of rain. No, the moisture isn't going away; it is just switching from rain to freezing rain right now. In a bit, it should be converting to snow. Just as an added bonus, I get to drive in to work before the sun comes up.

Carry on.
    I'm in early on this one. They predicted a trace of snow for today, we got nothing. A cold 45 degrees. But up to 65 tomorrow and warmer all the way through Sunday. In the seventies for the weekend, I tell ya this Front Range Colorado thing is crazy. It can fluctuate 30 degrees from one day to the next. Kinda awesome actually.

Do I have too many drummers in my band?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

I know you "mountain" folk must laugh at us southerner flatlander folk when it comes to snow and ice and our inability to cope with our meager accumulations of the aforementioned conditions.

Just last winter, (or what passes for winter) here in Louisiana, one of the neighboring cities a couple of miles away cancelled school for the next day because of the "threat" of freezing rain and the possibility of snow.

Not only did it NOT snow, or freeze over, but the temps reached 50 degrees that day.

My kids were upset that they had to go to school while those lucky ones got a free day off due to over reacting school admin types

Ride More, Whine Less
    Here's a story of rapidly changing weather that is commonly discussed around here.

Armistice Day Blizzard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I eat cats
    I feel bad for ya. I just turned on the fireplace in our house because it got a little chilly... 64f outside currently, maybe 54f with windchill factor. I did live in New England for a few years and while it was fun for me to see seasons in a new way I can see the frustration with all the extra work involved.

Light a bag of **** on fire on someones doorstep. That'll cheer ya up!

I eat cats
    ^Not that you are in New England.. just saying from where I have been.

mtbr member
    Personally, I love crappy weather.. and do not feel for you.

sorry.

Ride More, Whine Less

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post

sorry.

Is not amused
    Just stopping by to give out that useful information. Heyyall, ride your trainer. Minus salted almonds. Well, in your case you seem stressed so almonds might help . Do a HIIT workout. Move you fire patio again, run up and down your stairs. Or post here ...dammit...did it again...then again you saw "today's super short ride" in warm 35-42F weather and all the other wonderful weather over here. Happens a lot this time of year. You have everything you need to still ride a bike. Get rollers and ride the fatty on it. IDk man.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

official eMpTyBRain
    The forecast here is highs in the 70s & 80s and clear with lows in the 50s for the next few days.

Then it's gonna sky dive into the 60s this weekend. BURRRR!!!!

What was all that talk some months ago about certain Northerners making it down to the South West to escape the misery?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Heyyall's screw the weather thread

I'd rather have snow than rain. Monday's ride was 34f and snowing. Today's ride was 30 and sunny. It's supposed to warm up to 40 tomorrow.

Sent from my S3 on the way to the trailhead.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Just stopping by to give out that useful information. Heyyall, ride your trainer. Minus salted almonds. Well, in your case you seem stressed so almonds might help . Do a HIIT workout. Move you fire patio again, run up and down your stairs. Or post here ...dammit...did it again...then again you saw "today's super short ride" in warm 35-42F weather and all the other wonderful weather over here. Happens a lot this time of year. You have everything you need to still ride a bike. Get rollers and ride the fatty on it. IDk man.
    I thought you were going to bed

Most of my posting tonight was from the trainer. And, I did climb 20 flights of stairs for exercise...and walked 5 miles today on top of that including 0.5 miles in freezing drizzle just a few minutes ago. No nuts or pumpkins seeds tonight. I did have a scope of ice cream to celebrate my 8 year old's birthday

Is not amused
    Well, I'll let the ice cream slide if it really was his birthday. LOL. If you have enough energy to post riding a trainer key word trainer then you sure as hell have enough energy to put on some short of wet weather gear and head out. This will prevent posting and focusing on riding which in the end is more important for some, some.... Was going to go to bed but "the a-hole's" I'm living with forgot to feed their dog. Now those MFer's need to lay off the ice cream before they get the beetus. And it's snow where you are right now by radar. So get those lights out 'should be charged' and get the fatty out and go for a ride. Sleep is irrelevant.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

I build my own.
    150' elevation. Vancouver Island. Yesterday.
    WTF?
    I'm supposed to be digging trails up there.
    Heyyall's screw the weather thread-img_4662.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post

sorry.
    I'm right there with ya on this one.

It helps to have activities that you enjoy that are do-able in wet or cold or snow.

Inclement weather helps keep the riff raff home on their couches - just how I like it.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Rain, rain, and more rain here is predicted. It has been in the lower 60s lately and I've been loving it. Too bad the warm weather brings in strong storms this time of the year. I need to clear the trees out of the trails again.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    football helps keep the riff raff home on their couches - just how i like it.
    ftfy

Ride More, Whine Less
    I love hearing people tell stories about getting at it in the bad weather. Just so people don't think I'm a wuss, here is a ride I did in mid spring. The sad thing is that this wasn't really much worse than many of the days we had all winter.

mtbr member
    I can't wait to get some snow riding in this winter. In the interim, we are enjoying a brief warm up here in NYS.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by bandaroo View Post
    That is what you call spring? It sorta looked like fun! Sometimes snow provides just enough of a buffer through the chunk to make seemingly unrideable sections rideable, as long as you get first tracks.
    Bad weather is relative. That was a typical day last spring and, yes, it was fun. The crap falling last night wasn't. Low clouds (very dark), icy rain mix, high winds. While I ride religiously and the weather rarely slows life in MN down, last night was a perfect night to unwind on the trainer.

official eMpTyBRain
    Well I went out on two wheels after work and badly misjudged the shorter daylight now that we've set our clocks back. let's just say I got home after dark with NO LIGHTS!

Time to keep the damned lights mounted for a few months...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

sympathy for society
    ^ yup Hawg... It gets dark too early now. I tried bleeding my brakes tonight using daylight alone.. Had to move it all inside the garage at about 5:40...and did not finish out of frustration.. It got cold, dark and "leaky" (because of my lack of attention). I didn't pee myself or anything.... Just neglected to properly tighten a certain screw/bolt that holds the brake fluid in the caliper.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Ride More, Whine Less
    I just got back from riding. It sure is nice to ride with a bright light -- I was able to use my amber sunglasses to keep my eyes from drying out in the cold

Speaking of cold, this is the temperature profile of the ride.

Heyyall's screw the weather thread-screen-shot-2013-11-06-8.54.01-pm.png

I started nice and toasty in my kitchen and found my way into 29-30F temps for the duration of the ride. Nice (really, no wind or rain)

help with the zip please
    I'm hearing ya heyyall, the weather is really crappy down under at the moment too.

Heyyall's screw the weather thread-5o0a9990-8-01-2013-swimmercam-bondi-beach.jpg

Ride More, Whine Less

^ the irony here is that only my cheeks were uncovered while I was riding and down under the only thing covered on her is her cheeks.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast