Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Hawg's Rant Thread, Volume 2: The cost of things

Why does everything cost so much?

Share experiences of outrageous bills you've paid and or rant about something coming up that you've got to spend outrageous amounts of money on or just rant on and on about the worthlessness of money. No bars held, let it all out here. This is a meant to be a therapeutic thread.

Tomorrow, I am spending almost $900 on a new set of tires for my truck. What the hell is that all about?!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

check your six
    I feel you on the tires. I have needed new ones for over a year. I bought a set 5 years ago for $500 shipped, now the same set is $1150 shipped!!! I mean, WTF!!!! With all the used and trashed tires around this world, why can't we somehow melt them down and make new ones for cheap? I just don't get it.
    Last edited by sodak; 07-31-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: grammar
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Tell me why on Friday morning there is only 3 people on the road, and then Friday after 2pm EVERYBODY is on the road...why Why WHY !?! ?
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Front Range, Colorado
    What's up with a $4-$5 cup of Joe. They get you addicted to a fancy cup of coffee and before you know it your monthly bill payments suffer. I bet it costs them .25 to make it. WTF
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

b a n n e d
    I live in Santa Monica. My annual rent is equivalent to buying a brand new BMW 3-series every year.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I live in Santa Monica. My annual rent is equivalent to buying a brand new BMW 3-series every year.
    Not for long, and where you're going you might just have an M3 parked in your garage in a very few months.

BTW, why in the hell do cars cost so much?!

Ride More, Whine Less

Hawg's Rant Thread, Volume 2: The cost of things

We pay over $100 /month for Internet across three smart phones and home Internet.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    BTW, why in the hell do cars cost so much?!
    Because of the UAW, thats why . . . . and don't get me started on that.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Because of the UAW, thats why . . . . and don't get me started on that.
    Yeah, it's ALWAYS the unions' fault. Couldn't be crappy management, greedy, short-sighted stockholders, overpaid CEO's. It must be those greedy bastards standing on a cement floor and busting their asses for 8 hours a day.

On topic, groceries. Cripes, I go and buy a week's worth just for myself, maybe a couple of Health/beauty/toiletries, a six of microbrew and spend a hundred bucks. AND it fits in four grocery bags. You should NOT be able to fit a hundred bucks worth of staples in four bags. That's just wrong.

banned
    Jan 2013
    My cable company continues to offer me a bundle of TV, internet, and land line for $90. a month.

I currently pay (same company mind you) $140 for TV and internet. Every time one of their telemarketers call i respond the same way "ok, lets do it. Dont bother installing the phone though". The bundle is $90 for an introductory time, then jacks up to a bit more than what i am currently paying. Your warning that the introductory period is over is the bill. When you want to cancel the bundle, you have to find an open branch office (no easy task, they seem to be closed usually) then wait in line 30-45 min and argue with the clerk to get them to take the phone equipment back. The last time i did it i came to the conclusion that it was more trouble than saving $50.00 a month for a few months. Bastards!

On the subject of truck tires...

Single father, single income, rent, food, gas, bills......yea i dont have $800+ for tires. I have been buying used tires for years. If you check several places you can usually find a set that matches for $50 per tire. Clearly they do not last as long, but for the price of ONE new tire i can go from sketchy unsafe bald tires to tread again for another year or more.

I hate being middle class, yet broke the day after payday damn near every time. At least i have developed the art of staggering expenses. School shopping for kiddo coming up. /sigh

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ I'm a major bargain shopper. I do lots of online research or phone calls around for the best price before I settle for anything. It's kinda fun to get companies to try to outbid the next one. The new tires were $158 each the last time I bought them in 2011. From the same company, they offered them for $185 each this time. I told them how much I had paid in 2011 and the salesman dropped each tire down to $177 which is fine for me compared to the cost of other big brand equivalent tires that generally go for around $250 each. I got 35K miles out of each of the two sets of these tires which is pretty good for a truck that hauls loads all day. BFG Long Trail T/A 265/60/R18 tires.

Still, tires are outrageously priced!

Hooligan
    maybe not melting them down, but check this out:
    www.treadwright.com/
    I've got a set of these and there pretty cool. made in the USA too.
    ...now if only they could do this for bike tires

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    maybe not melting them down, but check this out:
    www.treadwright.com/
    I've got a set of these and there pretty cool. made in the USA too.
    ...now if only they could do this for bike tires
    Thanks man but I'm a highway hauler. Those babies would sing quite a tune at high speed on pavement.

No Stranger to danger....
    The price of custom bondage equipment has gone through the roof this year, slings, racks, latex gimp masks, pummel horses, restraints, its getting right out of hand, its not like latex, rubber and leather prices have gone up, most are resorting to home made or second hand stuff these days, and you dont always know whos been using it, that can be exciting, but it can also spread STD's, but its getting to the point where its the risk we all have to take.
    I like to use the smell test, if it smells a bit assy, i know im onto a winner.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Meatbomb
    Boating cost have gone through the roof to the point I am considering selling mine. Fuel at the Marina on Lake Powell is $5.28 a gallon and a bag of ice will cost you $5.00 as well.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Boating cost have gone through the roof to the point I am considering selling mine. Fuel at the Marina on Lake Powell is $5.28 a gallon and a bag of ice will cost you $5.00 as well.
    The fuel thing doesn't surprise me. It's always more more expensive on the water then on the land and these big lakes are generally out in the boondocks anyway so I have to think there's an extra delivery charge to get it out there. This year at Lake Mead, our houseboat fuel tab was $533 and all we did was leave the generator running the whole time to keep it tolerable inside. Didn't even travel around. Drove it to the spot of choice and parked it.

As far as ice pricing, that's truly ridiculous. Perhaps a seasonal ice portable ice vendor business would be in order? You could make some bank, I'm sure!

Trail Prospector
    In the past 2 years, the same basket of groceries has gone from $25 to over $40.
    Find it moronic that food, and fuel are not included in the cost of living index.
    We all must eat, and the vast majority must drive to work, yet our politicians statistics refuse
    to acknowledge this source of inflation that's crushing the poor & middle class.

Instead, of addressing the effect of commodity future's trading they continue to provide tax breaks to big oil, who continually post record earnings, and soon plan to eliminate food stamps by increasing farm subsidies to the largest agri-corp's. WTF?.. Arrrrrrrrrrrggh !!
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

I'm your density
    O.K., here 'goes. Plumbers. Sorry if I offend anyone in the industry.

Recently we had a clog in our main sewer line. Taking showers ankle-deep in backed up sewage. **** happens. Had a plumber come out twice to snake it and film it, $89 each time. My only clean-out point was 60 feet from the clog so I had no way of doing it myself for much cheaper. So that was not terribly unreasonable.

Turns out, the clog was right at the interface between our property's main line and the city line. Roots got into the pipe at that interface. OK, so time to replace. There is no more than 10 feet of cast iron pipe running between our foundation and the city line, it's 3" pipe (everything now is 4"), and it's 55 years old. No concrete to jackhammer, buried no more than 4 feet down. The plumber's quote to do this is at the end, for dramatic effect.

So after hemming and hawing about it and consulting my brother in law (who has built at least half a dozen custom houses), I decided to do it myself and start digging Friday. He said he'd help with the parts list and installation since I've no experience doing the plumbing part. Figured it should take me 3 days tops, over the weekend.

Yesterday I come home from work and there's my BIL's butt sticking up out of a 4-foot deep trench, hooking up new 4" plastic pipe between the house and the city line. With 2 directional cleanouts installed for future problems. Glued up, set and buried before dinner time.

$170 in parts, 8 hours of labor, and a quart of gas for the round trip to Home Depot.

How much to do this, Mr. Plumber?

$3,000, after a 10% military discount. Note, I'm not in the military.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

see me rollin, they hatin
    the rent is too damn high!

not trying to make a joke, but seriously, rent always goes up even when there's nothing to show for it. you shouldnt have to pay so much not to live in the ghetto or a cardboard box.
    fap

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    The price of custom bondage equipment has gone through the roof this year, slings, racks, latex gimp masks, pummel horses, restraints, its getting right out of hand, its not like latex, rubber and leather prices have gone up, most are resorting to home made or second hand stuff these days, and you dont always know whos been using it, that can be exciting, but it can also spread STD's, but its getting to the point where its the risk we all have to take.
    I like to use the smell test, if it smells a bit assy, i know im onto a winner.
    the world needs more of you.
    fap

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    the rent is too damn high!

not trying to make a joke, but seriously, rent always goes up even when there's nothing to show for it. you shouldnt have to pay so much not to live in the ghetto or a cardboard box.
    Agreed

I'm your density
    Follow-on to my plumbing rant: City rant.

About a year ago, the city came out and replaced all their sewer lines up to the property boundaries in my area.

In looking at the old pipe we pulled out of the ground yesterday, it's apparent the city reconnected their new line to my old line with the original (55 y.o.) coupling, instead of installing a new coupling. The old coupling failed (split open) which was the point of entry for the roots. The resulting root ball would fill the inside of a biking helmet, for point of reference.

They did this retrofit on hundreds of houses in my neighborhood, and who knows where else. I wonder how many others are going to have this problem?

Over a $2 part.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^ I'm a major bargain shopper. I do lots of online research or phone calls around for the best price before I settle for anything. It's kinda fun to get companies to try to outbid the next one. The new tires were $158 each the last time I bought them in 2011. From the same company, they offered them for $185 each this time. I told them how much I had paid in 2011 and the salesman dropped each tire down to $177 which is fine for me compared to the cost of other big brand equivalent tires that generally go for around $250 each. I got 35K miles out of each of the two sets of these tires which is pretty good for a truck that hauls loads all day. BFG Long Trail T/A 265/60/R18 tires.

Still, tires are outrageously priced!
    You will get far, far far more miles out of a BF Goodrich All Terrain KO tire than the Long Trails. Buy them. We got 98k out of a set on a 2000 Eddie Bauer AWD Ford Explorer with a 5.0 V8. Spend the extra money and get the All Terrains, and live with the noise and more $$$ in your pocket for longer.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    pummel horses
    Dare I ask what this is?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Follow-on to my plumbing rant: City rant.

About a year ago, the city came out and replaced all their sewer lines up to the property boundaries in my area.

In looking at the old pipe we pulled out of the ground yesterday, it's apparent the city reconnected their new line to my old line with the original (55 y.o.) coupling, instead of installing a new coupling. The old coupling failed (split open) which was the point of entry for the roots. The resulting root ball would fill the inside of a biking helmet, for point of reference.

They did this retrofit on hundreds of houses in my neighborhood, and who knows where else. I wonder how many others are going to have this problem?

Over a $2 part.
    Every single one of them that has a tree within 20 feet of the pipe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast