Page 1 of 244 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Hawg's All About Bikes Thread, Vol. 4

It's time to refresh again. Thanks for everyone's contributions to the first three volumes!

And to get us started, here's another section of the trail from the ride in the San Bernardino Mountains.

S.A.R.T. 11-2-2013 on Pinkbike

...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    So I just Built a new bike! I believe it is the long sought after holy grail of mountain bikes. The proverbial quiver killer.

After me cracking my frame and JHazard getting a new one. He gifted me his old one. A really cool thing of him to do an I cant thank him enough for it.

The frame is a Big Bad Burly Airborne Taka.
    1. 1.5 Headtube
    2. 83mm BB
    3. 150mm rear axel
    4. 8" travel
    5. 66 HA
    6. single piviot goodness

photo 0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg

I needed a new BB for the frame. The theme was Bomb proof so i went with the howitzer.

photo 9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg

photo 1101132026c.jpg

So for the drive train I got a Wolf tooth narrow wide 30tooth chain ring. Out back I'm running a 11-34 cassette on a saint 9 speed derailleur. Since I have the narrow wide chain guard i decided to only use the top half of the chain guide. The DMR viral chain guide has separate pieces so if need be ill throw the bottom on

photo ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg

For brakes i got saint and zee. very happy with them. I love the mineral oil. I'm a messy dude and still learning how to bleed so the corrosive fluid normally used is a headache I'm happy to do without. Also my old pads were a "little" worn out

photo 1102131055a.jpg

The fork is a rock shox totem 180mm travel 40mm stanchions. best fork ever

photo 1103130839.jpg

All in All the bike came out looking real good. The rear wheel is an Azonic outlaw front is a spank stiffy 40 on a hope hub both tires are continental Der Kaiser 2.5s. Handel bars Easton havoc carbons with Northshore grips and a truvative 50mm stem...

photo c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg

photo 44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg

Action shots On the way

Smells yummy fresh in here

Hawg-nice trail!

Fuglio - cool bike build.

This new volume already looks promising.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    How many downed trees at SART this year?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    How many downed trees at SART this year?
    There was a lot of them this Spring/Summer when I was there last but all of them have been cleared.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    So I just Built a new bike! I believe it is the long sought after holy grail of mountain bikes. The proverbial quiver killer.

After me cracking my frame and JHazard getting a new one. He gifted me his old one. A really cool thing of him to do an I cant thank him enough for it.

1. 1.5 Headtube
    2. 83mm BB
    3. 150mm rear axel
    4. 8" travel
    5. 66 HA

I needed a new BB for the frame. The theme was Bomb proof so i went with the howitzer.

photo 1101132026c.jpg

So for the drive train I got a Wolf tooth narrow wide 30tooth chain ring. Out back I'm running a 11-34 cassette on a saint 9 speed derailleur. Since I have the narrow wide chain guard i decided to only use the top half of the chain guide. The DMR viral chain guide has separate pieces so if need be ill throw the bottom on

For brakes i got saint and zee. very happy with them. I love the mineral oil. I'm a messy dude and still learning how to bleed so the corrosive fluid normally used is a headache I'm happy to do without. Also my old pads were a "little" worn out

photo 1102131055a.jpg

photo 1103130839.jpg

All in All the bike came out looking real good. The rear wheel is an Azonic outlaw front is a spank stiffy 40 on a hope hub both tires are continental Der Kaiser 2.5s. Handel bars Easton havoc carbons with Northshore grips and a truvative 50mm stem...

Action shots On the way
    Fug, was it the HT frame that went bye-bye? I recall your saying that riding a HT is where it's at, now you've got this mountain taming beast that has more travel/clearance then a monster truck. That thing wants to party!!!

Fishing/ Biking
    Great vid, great build. I'm jealous & wish I could ride. I'm definitely stopping by for a tour of SART Hawg!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Fug, was it the HT frame that went bye-bye? I recall your saying that riding a HT is where it's at, now you've got this mountain taming beast that has more travel/clearance then a monster truck. That thing wants to party!!!
    the cracked frame was ful susspension. I rode it for a wile with steel splints but i could only run a 1.9 rear tire at 90 psi.. plus i was pushing my luck with the gehtto rigged fix. The hard tail will be back in action but i needed the drive train off it and i never did any big 10'+ drops on it but it is very capable i love the hard tail but im not a good enough rider to do everything on it... Plus the 40lb bike makes you a stronger XC rider. got a 29er SS set up ready for next race season

Front Range, Colorado
    In early on volume 4 with nothing to report but complements.
    Hawg I couldn't get your video to play.
    Fug, That's a nice build you did and +1 to Jhazard for giving you the frame. That's a serious beast of a bike. Dare I ask what it weighs. I know it's illegal to weigh a DH bike but maybe if you get someone to distract the DH crowd long enough that you could sneak a weigh in.
    Nice ride!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    In early on volume 4 with nothing to report but complements.
    Hawg I couldn't get your video to play.
    Fug, That's a nice build you did and +1 to Jhazard for giving you the frame. That's a serious beast of a bike. Dare I ask what it weighs. I know it's illegal to weigh a DH bike but maybe if you got someone to distract the DH crowd you could sneak a weigh in.
    Nice ride!
    Go to pinkbike and look for "Ambassadorhawg" in the video section. Maybe you can watch them directly from the website?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Go to pinkbike and look for "Ambassadorhawg" in the video section. Maybe you can watch them directly from the website?
    I did and it wouldn't play. I haven't logged in to PB for so long it won't let me in.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

official eMpTyBRain
    I just went to Fug's pinkbike page and watched some of his videos. They scare me...

re member
    You know what scares me, Hawg. You ride right by a mountain lion and don't even think twice about it. Here's 2:32 again in case you just flat out missed it on your ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    You know what scares me, Hawg. You ride right by a mountain lion and don't even think twice about it. Here's 2:32 again in case you just flat out missed it on your ride.
    I'm focused only on a sighting the other type of lion.

And we saw some, too.

mtbr member

1. 1.5 Headtube
    2. 83mm BB
    3. 150mm rear axel
    4. 8" travel
    5. 66 HA

photo 1101132026c.jpg

photo 1102131055a.jpg

photo 1103130839.jpg

Action shots On the way
    Hay fug nice bike, looks kind of wimpy though, guess it will be good for XC. Haha just kidding. My wife had a DMR guide and ripped off the bottom pulley, on a supper rocky trail she will throw her chain.

your right about the totem its a great fork. funny how some thing so beefy looking can be pretty light. I was all about the totem on my gravity bikes till I got a few Boxxer WC, it has high/low damp high/low rebound and the best hydro bottom out. It feels bottomless.

Did you do the mod to the compresstion, take out the lock out value under the high/low nobs? It is a must!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    haha nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay fug nice bike, looks kind of wimpy though, guess it will be good for XC. Haha just kidding. My wife had a DMR guide and ripped off the bottom pulley, on a supper rocky trail she will throw her chain.

your right about the totem its a great fork. funny how some thing so beefy looking can be pretty light. I was all about the totem on my gravity bikes till I got a few Boxxer WC, it has high/low damp high/low rebound and the best hydro bottom out. It feels bottomless.

Did you do the mod to the compresstion, take out the lock out value under the high/low nobs? It is a must!
    i like the single crown for riding tech. I was thinking about doing the flood gate mod but decided to quit while i was ahead. My old for was a manatue travis so its so much better already and doesn't leave me wanting more. Im sort of a mechanical hack so i dont wanna go down that rabbit hole.

re member
    So I responded to a local request in my regional forum.....

New to the forums, sport, and moving to a new city (Huntsville AL).

Met up with Paul today and we rode a couple of trails. I think he had a blast. And I may have gained a new riding partner here in Huntsville.

Made him a vid so he can show his brother him riding in the mountains. (They're from Florida)

Nov-3 from Clay Morgan on Vimeo.

Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

official eMpTyBRain
    Good on you net!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So I responded to a local request in my regional forum.....

New to the forums, sport, and moving to a new city (Huntsville AL).

Met up with Paul today and we rode a couple of trails. I think he had a blast. And I may have gained a new riding partner here in Huntsville.

Made him a vid so he can show his brother him riding in the mountains. (They're from Florida)

Nov-3 from Clay Morgan on Vimeo.

Good Deed!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    i like the single crown for riding tech. I was thinking about doing the flood gate mod but decided to quit while i was ahead. My old for was a manatue travis so its so much better already and doesn't leave me wanting more. Im sort of a mechanical hack so i dont wanna go down that rabbit hole.
    My wife still likes single crown to double, she feels she can control the bike better. I just love the stiffness of a direct mount stem.

Taking out the lock out value is so easy, I think a 22mm socket and one snap ring, the check value falls out. 2-5 mins max if your hangover stoned and got lemon juice in your eyes. I really helps with small bump chatter

mtbr member

mtbr member
    i would do dual crown if i had a dedacated down hill bike id like to find a nice manitou durado then i could save it for a future 29er build ive been thinking about

**** ill do it. But ill wait till the urge to buy something hits me and ill do this instead...... you live in Phoenix right vice? there's a February trip im doing might see you out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Congratulations, Hawg! Volume 4 is off to a stunning start, with your and Netwurker's video, and Fuglio's bike build posts! Great stuff!

Oh, and net's 'editing' contribution to your video was also most excellent!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post

I'd heard that those Wolf chainrings make a chainguide unnecessary. Maybe not in the case of this much rear wheel travel? I'm thinking, on days when I feel strong, of converting my old but still like-new Ellsworth Joker to a 1X10 setup, with a Wolf-tooth chainring. 7" of rear wheel travel . I consider it to be a trailbike, although when I got it, it was thought of by everybody else as a 'freeride sled'. I like that part....when I suck on any particular long, tedious climb, it is my go-to excuse!

Page 1 of 244 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast