Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 6093
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388

    Hawg's All About Bikes Thread, Vol. 4

    It's time to refresh again. Thanks for everyone's contributions to the first three volumes!

    And to get us started, here's another section of the trail from the ride in the San Bernardino Mountains.

    <object width='500' height='375'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/338525/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/338525/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='375' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/338525/'>S.A.R.T. 11-2-2013</a> on <a href='http://www.pinkbike.com'>Pinkbike</a></p>

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    So I just Built a new bike! I believe it is the long sought after holy grail of mountain bikes. The proverbial quiver killer.


    After me cracking my frame and JHazard getting a new one. He gifted me his old one. A really cool thing of him to do an I cant thank him enough for it.


    The frame is a Big Bad Burly Airborne Taka.
    1. 1.5 Headtube
    2. 83mm BB
    3. 150mm rear axel
    4. 8" travel
    5. 66 HA
    6. single piviot goodness



    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg"/></a>



    I needed a new BB for the frame. The theme was Bomb proof so i went with the howitzer.

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1101132026c.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1101132026c.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1101132026c.jpg"/></a>


    So for the drive train I got a Wolf tooth narrow wide 30tooth chain ring. Out back I'm running a 11-34 cassette on a saint 9 speed derailleur. Since I have the narrow wide chain guard i decided to only use the top half of the chain guide. The DMR viral chain guide has separate pieces so if need be ill throw the bottom on


    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg"/></a>


    For brakes i got saint and zee. very happy with them. I love the mineral oil. I'm a messy dude and still learning how to bleed so the corrosive fluid normally used is a headache I'm happy to do without. Also my old pads were a "little" worn out

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1102131055a.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1102131055a.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1102131055a.jpg"/></a>


    The fork is a rock shox totem 180mm travel 40mm stanchions. best fork ever

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1103130839.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1103130839.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1103130839.jpg"/></a>


    All in All the bike came out looking real good. The rear wheel is an Azonic outlaw front is a spank stiffy 40 on a hope hub both tires are continental Der Kaiser 2.5s. Handel bars Easton havoc carbons with Northshore grips and a truvative 50mm stem...


    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg"/></a>


    Action shots On the way

  3. #3
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,733
    Smells yummy fresh in here

    Hawg-nice trail!

    Fuglio - cool bike build.


    This new volume already looks promising.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  4. #4
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,021
    How many downed trees at SART this year?
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    How many downed trees at SART this year?
    There was a lot of them this Spring/Summer when I was there last but all of them have been cleared.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    So I just Built a new bike! I believe it is the long sought after holy grail of mountain bikes. The proverbial quiver killer.


    After me cracking my frame and JHazard getting a new one. He gifted me his old one. A really cool thing of him to do an I cant thank him enough for it.


    The frame is a Big Bad Burly Airborne Taka.
    1. 1.5 Headtube
    2. 83mm BB
    3. 150mm rear axel
    4. 8" travel
    5. 66 HA
    6. single piviot goodness



    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg"/></a>



    I needed a new BB for the frame. The theme was Bomb proof so i went with the howitzer.

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1101132026c.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1101132026c.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1101132026c.jpg"/></a>


    So for the drive train I got a Wolf tooth narrow wide 30tooth chain ring. Out back I'm running a 11-34 cassette on a saint 9 speed derailleur. Since I have the narrow wide chain guard i decided to only use the top half of the chain guide. The DMR viral chain guide has separate pieces so if need be ill throw the bottom on


    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg"/></a>


    For brakes i got saint and zee. very happy with them. I love the mineral oil. I'm a messy dude and still learning how to bleed so the corrosive fluid normally used is a headache I'm happy to do without. Also my old pads were a "little" worn out

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1102131055a.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1102131055a.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1102131055a.jpg"/></a>


    The fork is a rock shox totem 180mm travel 40mm stanchions. best fork ever

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1103130839.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1103130839.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1103130839.jpg"/></a>


    All in All the bike came out looking real good. The rear wheel is an Azonic outlaw front is a spank stiffy 40 on a hope hub both tires are continental Der Kaiser 2.5s. Handel bars Easton havoc carbons with Northshore grips and a truvative 50mm stem...


    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg"/></a>


    Action shots On the way
    Fug, was it the HT frame that went bye-bye? I recall your saying that riding a HT is where it's at, now you've got this mountain taming beast that has more travel/clearance then a monster truck. That thing wants to party!!!

  7. #7
    The Boat or The Bike?
    Reputation: Bike&Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,475
    Great vid, great build. I'm jealous & wish I could ride. I'm definitely stopping by for a tour of SART Hawg!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Fug, was it the HT frame that went bye-bye? I recall your saying that riding a HT is where it's at, now you've got this mountain taming beast that has more travel/clearance then a monster truck. That thing wants to party!!!
    the cracked frame was ful susspension. I rode it for a wile with steel splints but i could only run a 1.9 rear tire at 90 psi.. plus i was pushing my luck with the gehtto rigged fix. The hard tail will be back in action but i needed the drive train off it and i never did any big 10'+ drops on it but it is very capable i love the hard tail but im not a good enough rider to do everything on it... Plus the 40lb bike makes you a stronger XC rider. got a 29er SS set up ready for next race season

  9. #9
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    In early on volume 4 with nothing to report but complements.
    Hawg I couldn't get your video to play.
    Fug, That's a nice build you did and +1 to Jhazard for giving you the frame. That's a serious beast of a bike. Dare I ask what it weighs. I know it's illegal to weigh a DH bike but maybe if you get someone to distract the DH crowd long enough that you could sneak a weigh in.
    Nice ride!
    Front Range, Colorado.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    In early on volume 4 with nothing to report but complements.
    Hawg I couldn't get your video to play.
    Fug, That's a nice build you did and +1 to Jhazard for giving you the frame. That's a serious beast of a bike. Dare I ask what it weighs. I know it's illegal to weigh a DH bike but maybe if you got someone to distract the DH crowd you could sneak a weigh in.
    Nice ride!
    Go to pinkbike and look for "Ambassadorhawg" in the video section. Maybe you can watch them directly from the website?

  11. #11
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Go to pinkbike and look for "Ambassadorhawg" in the video section. Maybe you can watch them directly from the website?
    I did and it wouldn't play. I haven't logged in to PB for so long it won't let me in.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    I just went to Fug's pinkbike page and watched some of his videos. They scare me...

  13. #13
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,498
    You know what scares me, Hawg. You ride right by a mountain lion and don't even think twice about it. Here's 2:32 again in case you just flat out missed it on your ride.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Xhi1VwCkxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    You know what scares me, Hawg. You ride right by a mountain lion and don't even think twice about it. Here's 2:32 again in case you just flat out missed it on your ride.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Xhi1VwCkxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I'm focused only on a sighting the other type of lion.

    And we saw some, too.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    So I just Built a new bike! I believe it is the long sought after holy grail of mountain bikes. The proverbial quiver killer.


    After me cracking my frame and JHazard getting a new one. He gifted me his old one. A really cool thing of him to do an I cant thank him enough for it.


    The frame is a Big Bad Burly Airborne Taka.
    1. 1.5 Headtube
    2. 83mm BB
    3. 150mm rear axel
    4. 8" travel
    5. 66 HA
    6. single piviot goodness



    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 0d06b6a4-8d78-4fc5-80ce-c30855c226a7.jpg"/></a>



    I needed a new BB for the frame. The theme was Bomb proof so i went with the howitzer.

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 9ef8f84b-3133-4dfa-b13f-a6607d2c328b.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1101132026c.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1101132026c.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1101132026c.jpg"/></a>


    So for the drive train I got a Wolf tooth narrow wide 30tooth chain ring. Out back I'm running a 11-34 cassette on a saint 9 speed derailleur. Since I have the narrow wide chain guard i decided to only use the top half of the chain guide. The DMR viral chain guide has separate pieces so if need be ill throw the bottom on


    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo ed4333fc-7338-459e-95e9-dadd6a1e6f18.jpg"/></a>


    For brakes i got saint and zee. very happy with them. I love the mineral oil. I'm a messy dude and still learning how to bleed so the corrosive fluid normally used is a headache I'm happy to do without. Also my old pads were a "little" worn out

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1102131055a.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1102131055a.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1102131055a.jpg"/></a>


    The fork is a rock shox totem 180mm travel 40mm stanchions. best fork ever

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/1103130839.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/1103130839.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1103130839.jpg"/></a>


    All in All the bike came out looking real good. The rear wheel is an Azonic outlaw front is a spank stiffy 40 on a hope hub both tires are continental Der Kaiser 2.5s. Handel bars Easton havoc carbons with Northshore grips and a truvative 50mm stem...


    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo c094939f-c344-480f-a178-f3ea9fb0f9c1.jpg"/></a>

    <a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mrpea9999/media/44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/mrpea9999/44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 44e54ad9-d7f6-4e35-b2c3-de84ab7ed9ff.jpg"/></a>


    Action shots On the way
    Hay fug nice bike, looks kind of wimpy though, guess it will be good for XC. Haha just kidding. My wife had a DMR guide and ripped off the bottom pulley, on a supper rocky trail she will throw her chain.

    your right about the totem its a great fork. funny how some thing so beefy looking can be pretty light. I was all about the totem on my gravity bikes till I got a few Boxxer WC, it has high/low damp high/low rebound and the best hydro bottom out. It feels bottomless.

    Did you do the mod to the compresstion, take out the lock out value under the high/low nobs? It is a must!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    You know what scares me, Hawg. You ride right by a mountain lion and don't even think twice about it. Here's 2:32 again in case you just flat out missed it on your ride.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Xhi1VwCkxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    haha nice!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay fug nice bike, looks kind of wimpy though, guess it will be good for XC. Haha just kidding. My wife had a DMR guide and ripped off the bottom pulley, on a supper rocky trail she will throw her chain.

    your right about the totem its a great fork. funny how some thing so beefy looking can be pretty light. I was all about the totem on my gravity bikes till I got a few Boxxer WC, it has high/low damp high/low rebound and the best hydro bottom out. It feels bottomless.

    Did you do the mod to the compresstion, take out the lock out value under the high/low nobs? It is a must!
    i like the single crown for riding tech. I was thinking about doing the flood gate mod but decided to quit while i was ahead. My old for was a manatue travis so its so much better already and doesn't leave me wanting more. Im sort of a mechanical hack so i dont wanna go down that rabbit hole.

  18. #18
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,498
    So I responded to a local request in my regional forum.....

    http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-ga-...al-883055.html

    Met up with Paul today and we rode a couple of trails. I think he had a blast. And I may have gained a new riding partner here in Huntsville.

    Made him a vid so he can show his brother him riding in the mountains. (They're from Florida)

    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/78479253?color=ffffff" width="700" height="394" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/78479253">Nov-3</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/morgan48">Clay Morgan</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Good on you net!

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    So I responded to a local request in my regional forum.....

    http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-ga-...al-883055.html

    Met up with Paul today and we rode a couple of trails. I think he had a blast. And I may have gained a new riding partner here in Huntsville.

    Made him a vid so he can show his brother him riding in the mountains. (They're from Florida)

    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/78479253?color=ffffff" width="700" height="394" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/78479253">Nov-3</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/morgan48">Clay Morgan</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Good Deed!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    i like the single crown for riding tech. I was thinking about doing the flood gate mod but decided to quit while i was ahead. My old for was a manatue travis so its so much better already and doesn't leave me wanting more. Im sort of a mechanical hack so i dont wanna go down that rabbit hole.
    My wife still likes single crown to double, she feels she can control the bike better. I just love the stiffness of a direct mount stem.

    Taking out the lock out value is so easy, I think a 22mm socket and one snap ring, the check value falls out. 2-5 mins max if your hangover stoned and got lemon juice in your eyes. I really helps with small bump chatter
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,144
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    i would do dual crown if i had a dedacated down hill bike id like to find a nice manitou durado then i could save it for a future 29er build ive been thinking about

    shit ill do it. But ill wait till the urge to buy something hits me and ill do this instead...... you live in Phoenix right vice? there's a February trip im doing might see you out there?

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Congratulations, Hawg! Volume 4 is off to a stunning start, with your and Netwurker's video, and Fuglio's bike build posts! Great stuff!

    Oh, and net's 'editing' contribution to your video was also most excellent!

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay fug nice bike, looks kind of wimpy though, guess it will be good for XC. Haha just kidding. My wife had a DMR guide and ripped off the bottom pulley, on a supper rocky trail she will throw her chain.

    your right about the totem its a great fork. funny how some thing so beefy looking can be pretty light. I was all about the totem on my gravity bikes till I got a few Boxxer WC, it has high/low damp high/low rebound and the best hydro bottom out. It feels bottomless.

    Did you do the mod to the compresstion, take out the lock out value under the high/low nobs? It is a must!
    I'd heard that those Wolf chainrings make a chainguide unnecessary. Maybe not in the case of this much rear wheel travel? I'm thinking, on days when I feel strong, of converting my old but still like-new Ellsworth Joker to a 1X10 setup, with a Wolf-tooth chainring. 7" of rear wheel travel . I consider it to be a trailbike, although when I got it, it was thought of by everybody else as a 'freeride sled'. I like that part....when I suck on any particular long, tedious climb, it is my go-to excuse!

  26. #26
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,891
    I'm missing something...yawn on the trail in the Hawg vid.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  27. #27
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    No dirt for me today. I had to slip off to work this morning, so I bike commuted. Nothing too special except I got to spin the pedals out on one particular stretch reaching speeds upwards of 30 mph on flat ground I couldn't hold that and was soon down to my normal turtle's pace. The wind outside at the moment is brutal. You can hear the house shaking. I thought to myself I wonder if this is winter blowing in. I check NOAA and we have hazardous weather outlook
    -------------
    THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PARTS OF SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA.

    .DAY ONE...TONIGHT

    WINDY CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST TONIGHT...WITH GUSTS OF 30 TO 40 MPH
    COMMON. THE STRONG WINDS COULD MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT FOR HIGH PROFILE
    VEHICLES ON EAST-WEST ROADS.

    .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

    LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...WITH 1/2 TO 1 INCH
    TOTALS POSSIBLE. WHILE MOST ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE ON GRASSY
    SURFACES...THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE COULD BE IMPACTED.

    -----------------------

  28. #28
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Passing through to subscribe, otherwise I'll forget this is here. No time to stay and play, nuther busy couple weeks ahead.

  29. #29
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Well, I got off the couch, and did some sort of ride today, maybe 12 or so miles. Today, I did something stupid on the bike. It's been so long since I've been on a bike pedaling that I forgot to unclip when stopping, and when I realized my mistake, I'd not paid attention to unclipping the foot on the downhill side. Hence there was nothing but air for my right foot to touch for support. So you know the rest of that story. Oh and BTW, I am darn lucky with today.... it was in the really lumpy rocky single track section going to the M.A.S.H. TV set site in Malibu Creek State Park.



  30. #30
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    I was here at 8:38 p.m. Sunday Nov. 3rd.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Randy, we need to see the bloody parts.

  32. #32
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    So Randy the M.A.S.H set is still there?
    Alright so I got a short 5 miler in on Saturday. It wasn't for me but more to get my dog out. The place I normally take him is not rideable since the floods here in Colorado. So I've been trying different areas and stumbled on a great dog friendly trails system only 2 miles from my house. It also has flood damage but nothing we couldn't avoid. But what's great is because of the flooding it has been posted as closed since the floods. I went in anyway and rode 5 milrs around a couple huge ponds almost lake size. Nobody out there gteat flowing trails that circled the ponds. Quite a bit of wildlife. I saw a Beaver, several hawks a deer and several flocks of geese and ducks. The important part was the dog had fun and he did. I took very few photos but what I did get may surprise some of you. Especially the Fat Bike crowd. But your going to have to wait until I download them this week
    Front Range, Colorado.

  33. #33
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I'm missing something...yawn on the trail in the Hawg vid.
    Yup, you are . . . the vid's (although good) definitely don't capture the total spirit of that trail. It's a challenging and demanding trail to say the least, and its pretty remote, which is a rarity in SoCal. It's got some tech, some SERIOUS exposure and its FAST. Its one of those trails that you've got to ride to experience.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  34. #34
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Randy, we need to see the bloody parts.
    As I said, I was lucky. Just a scuffed up elbow with a little bit of a strawberry patch of skin for blood. For once, I kind of tucked and rolled out, until I came to a stop

  35. #35
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So Randy the M.A.S.H set is still there?
    Yup, though there's not a whole lot left and the trails weren't really all that exciting compared to some other nearby options. My first ride in SoCal was out to the same site:
    Hawg's All About Bikes Thread, Vol. 4-img_0426.jpg
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    As I said, I was lucky. Just a scuffed up elbow with a little bit of a strawberry patch of skin for blood. For once, I kind of tucked and rolled out, until I came to a stop
    Perfect, it was strawberry season for you. Post pics.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I'm missing something...yawn on the trail in the Hawg vid.
    excitement or mountain lions?

  38. #38
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Yup, though there's not a whole lot left and the trails weren't really all that exciting compared to some other nearby options. My first ride in SoCal was out to the same site:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	844231
    Pretty cool!
    Front Range, Colorado.

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Yup, though there's not a whole lot left and the trails weren't really all that exciting compared to some other nearby options. My first ride in SoCal was out to the same site:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	844231
    Should have kept on going and climbed up Bulldog down Backbone and done the big loop. About 23 or 24 miles, as I recall, from San Juan di Bautista park.

  40. #40
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,733
    Dang. I didn't get to ride this whole weekend! WHAT?!! that's just crazy talk.

    I had daddy duties and the rain was relentless. So instead I decided to make a countertop in the master bathroom. My wife has been telling me that there isn't enough counter space for all of her "stuff".We have a double sink countertop and the sinks do take up a lot of space. I started my project early Saturday morning and by this afternoon I was just about finished.

    Hawg's All About Bikes Thread, Vol. 4-1385545_10200815389776578_779773845_n.jpg


    I actually did do a little bit of riding this late afternoon with my kids around the neighborhood. I was so proud of my daughter cause I think she finally figured out how to really ride her Strider. She is actually faster than my son now. Before today she was just walking with the bike between her legs. Now she is letting the saddle carry her weight and running with the bike! She was so happy and proud, that it made me happy and proud.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  41. #41
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Dang. I didn't get to ride this whole weekend! WHAT?!! that's just crazy talk.

    I had daddy duties and the rain was relentless. So instead I decided to make a countertop in the master bathroom. My wife has been telling me that there isn't enough counter space for all of her "stuff".We have a double sink countertop and the sinks do take up a lot of space. I started my project early Saturday morning and by this afternoon I was just about finished.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1385545_10200815389776578_779773845_n.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	844237


    I actually did do a little bit of riding this late
    afternoon with my kids around the neighborhood.
    I was so proud of my daughter cause I think she
    finally figured out how to really ride her Strider.
    She is actually faster than my son now. Before
    today she was just walking with the bike between
    her legs. Now she is let
    ting the saddle carry her weight and running with
    the bike! She was so happy and proud, that it
    made me happy and proud.
    Great father and kid time.
    As far as the country top I'm slightly confused. To make more room you did away with the two sinks.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  42. #42
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,733
    yes. I got rid of the two sinks. We want to save the earth by using less water. We now brush her teeth with our own spit and rinse in the toilet. We don't floss anymore....we just FLUSH!






    yea....I know....bad joke.


    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  43. #43
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    yes. I got rid of the two sinks. We want to save the earth by using less water. We now brush her teeth with our own spit and rinse in the toilet. We don't floss anymore....we just FLUSH!






    yea....I know....bad joke.


    Well on the plus side you made your wife happy and gave her more counter space. Now all you have to deal with her breath, and her yours.

    I know bad joke.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  44. #44
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I'd heard that those Wolf chainrings make a chainguide unnecessary. Maybe not in the case of this much rear wheel travel? I'm thinking, on days when I feel strong, of converting my old but still like-new Ellsworth Joker to a 1X10 setup, with a Wolf-tooth chainring. 7" of rear wheel travel . I consider it to be a trailbike, although when I got it, it was thought of by everybody else as a 'freeride sled'. I like that part....when I suck on any particular long, tedious climb, it is my go-to excuse!
    Not necessarily. They work really well with a clutch derailleur for the most part, but I'm finding I need at least an upper guide too. I was riding with my brother yesterday (sorry, no photos or vid) and we both have Wolftooth rings, and we both dropped chains. To be fair he had exactly the same problem with a broken clutch that my XT suffered but as soon as I commented on how well my new Zee was working I also dropped the chain... on the approach to a section of sizeable gap jumps. I managed to clear the first with my chain hanging on the pedal. Time to buy a guide.

    In other news, my carbon Havens paid for themselves yesterday when I cased a gap onto a hunk of 2x4. I was riding too close to Sam on the almost blind approach to a fairly decent step down gap when he brake checked. I then slowed too much and cased it hard on the square wooden edge of the landing ramp. I'm sure that would have been a wheel breaker on my old set of Crests, but the Havens just shrugged it off and I kept on going.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  45. #45
    I Ride Bikes
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Well on the plus side you made your wife happy and gave her more counter space. Now all you have to deal with her breath, and her yours.

    I know bad joke.

    Well even with running water, my morning breath can kill.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

  46. #46
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,074
    Wemen and space !!!

    Nice pics with the M.A.S.H. truck. If that was here, some idiots with spray cans would have wrote their names all over it.... its a funny thing about Oz, it doesn't matter how rural things are, if there is something man made that has been abandoned, there's names painted all over it.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  47. #47
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,498
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Wemen and space !!!
    Hey, you know why NASA never sent any women astronauts to the moon during the Apollo program of the sixties and early seventies, right?

    Cuz all the top NASA executives just assumed the moon didn't need to be cleaned.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  48. #48
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,498
    I like this still from the Contour cam from last weekend.....Jett's tongue is out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hawg's All About Bikes Thread, Vol. 4-jett-ride.jpg  

    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    ^Nice!^

    Why are the first few sips of a morning coffee so damned good?!

  50. #50
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Perfect, it was strawberry season for you. Post pics.

    Somehow, selfies of a tiny owwie on the end of my elbow is not gonna make my honey do list, Hawg... Sorry.

    One of the last times I rode that trail, someone did some trail work and a trim job on a root that ran parallel and at the edge of the trail, such that it left a stob sticking out like the start of a guard rail on a freeway. My front tire found that stob, and I did a very smooth OTB that transformed into a belly flop landing on the rockiest hardest lumpiest mattress ever near the bottom of a very lumpy rocky creek bed bottom. Somewhere, I have pictures of me in the color purple. For about 2 weeks, I nicknamed myself "The Purple Throbber."

Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hawg, what do you know about this?
    By net wurker in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
  2. Hawg's Bike Thread, Vol. 3
    By Hawg in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 2486
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 01:10 AM
  3. Hawg's Rant Thread, Volume 2: The cost of things
    By Hawg in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM
  4. When are we gonna have a Hawg Roast?
    By Boyonabyke in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 08:02 PM
  5. Camelback HAWG NV
    By DustyBones in forum Arizona
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 05:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •