Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Has anyone ever illegally parked in your driveway?

Someone decided to pull that stunt today. Left for class in the morning, one empty space in the driveway for a friend who parks here and then walks to class from there. Got home from class, there's a strange pickup sitting in the driveway. I've never seen it around before. After a couple hours, two guys walk up (presumably from class) and drive off in the truck. I'm 90% certain that they decided to park there for the day so that they don't have to pay for a parking permit on campus, and they can't park in the street because city permits are required around here. I'm still going to talk to the neighbors to see if they know who was parked there, but my gut tells me that they were never invited to park in the area. I think this is what they do, since parking permits on campus are expen$$$ive and city permits are required for parking on the street: they drive up to neighborhoods near campus from wherever they live and choose a new area/driveway each time, so as to avoid repeat offenses and not raise suspicion. Even so, I've got the car details and the license plate number. I was considering going out to talk to them before they drove off, but I want to see what they do without any signs of consequences.

So I was just thinking of what to do if they come here again. I could call a towing company to get them towed, but I'd expect that I would be stuck with the towing charges, and I don't want that. According to local municipal code, I am completely within my legal rights to have them towed.

I could also do something a bit more insidious, but also less legal. So far, ideas that have run through my head include finding nails/screws in the driveway, taking the bulbs out of their headlights/brakelights, opening the tire valves. But that stuff is less legal than towing, and I don't want to have to deal with courts. Not gonna say it's illegal, per se, but the municipal code says that just cause has to be found if something like that were to happen to the car, and that means dealing with a court. I don't want to do something like blocking them in the driveway because that opens me and the house (and the roommates) to confrontation and retaliation, if they were so inclined.

So basically, just trying to figure what my options are if/when this happens again. Anyone ever have something similar happen? How'd you solve the issue?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

duh
    Have them towed. You won't get stuck with the bill because you don't care if the lot keeps the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

T.W.O.
    Similar things happened to my friends in at Cal state Hayward, she asked her neighbor and took several pic, then call the police. The police had the car towed away. Hours later the girl came and bang on the door asking about her car, my friend said talk to the police. I think the driver also got a ticket on top of the towing fee.

I would not call the tow company directly, may be the campus police, or HOA(if you have one) would do the trick. Keep us posted.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Sabotaging their car in your driveway kind of opposes what you're hoping to accomplish here. Plus, they know where you live.

If you have the vehicle towed, you must call the police and let them know. Probably best to call them first. Or you could always put up a sign.

High Desert MTBer
    Big... Acid... Bath...
    It's all Here. Now.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Have them towed. You won't get stuck with the bill because you don't care if the lot keeps the truck.
    Exactly, there will be no charge to you so go for it. And also as was just stated, don't vandalize because they, well, know where you live to use the old cliche.
    Btw, I'm pretty territorial so I would be pissed if somebody parked in my driveway so I understand your frustration on this.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    No HOA in the area, and I don't actually live on campus so campus police would be no help. A few quick searches on the interwebs show different viewpoints on calling the police to have the car towed. Some say that since it's on the driveway (private property), not on the street and blocking the driveway from there (public property), the police can't do anything about it. Others say that since it's trespassing on private property, the police can have it towed. I've also seen that the police take so long to respond to such a call that nothing would actually happen. The latter makes more sense, but I also don't want to call the police and have nothing happen.

Maybe a quick non-emergency call to the local station would help out a bit.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Interplanetary Poultry
    When I lived at the beach we had these issues all the time. There was one spot assigned for each condo, designated on your mortgage (or rent if you were renting). I had quite a few cars towed out of my spot there.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    No HOA in the area, and I don't actually live on campus so campus police would be no help. A few quick searches on the interwebs show different viewpoints on calling the police to have the car towed. Some say that since it's on the driveway (private property), not on the street and blocking the driveway from there (public property), the police can't do anything about it. Others say that since it's trespassing on private property, the police can have it towed. I've also seen that the police take so long to respond to such a call that nothing would actually happen. The latter makes more sense, but I also don't want to call the police and have nothing happen.

Maybe a quick non-emergency call to the local station would help out a bit.
    You don't have the police tow it, you have a towing company tow it and just let the police know it was towed. Granted our condo assoc. had a sign up with the number to the tow company so if your car was missing you knew who to call.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    When I lived at the beach we had these issues all the time. There was one spot assigned for each condo, designated on your mortgage (or rent if you were renting). I had quite a few cars towed out of my spot there.
    My house is actually a duplex, four living in my unit and three in the unit next door. We share a driveway, room for seven cars, which completely fills up the driveway when the aforementioned friend parks here during the week. But the lease doesn't assign any number of spaces for either unit, so I guess it's not exactly "assigned" parking. Did you ever receive any grief from towing companies, in terms of fees?

I should also mention that we're on very good terms with the tenants in the other unit. It looks like they have a guest over right now, and even though there are two empty spaces in the driveway, the guest is parked on the street, blocking the car of one of the tenants next door. No worries from them.

T.W.O.
    Better yet offer them a rental, say half of what the campus is charging It does not have to end badly.

Wait, just read your last post. Is it a driveway or parking spot?

No the tow company would not give you any trouble, I'd pick up the phone and ask them first. They are making money from hook up, tow, and storage, and they will notify the police, not you. But in any event, I'd discuss this with them first and be ready for the next time.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Better yet offer them a rental, say half of what the campus is charging It does not have to end badly.
    I wouldn't mind that, but there are no empty spaces for them to park every day.

And they parked in the driveway without invitation, just barging in as if they own the place. That's the part that pisses me off.

T.W.O.
    I wouldn't mind that, but there are no empty spaces for them to park every day.

And they parked in the driveway without invitation, just barging in as if they own the place. That's the part that pisses me off.
    I hear you bro Funny, I just watch the Judge Judy re-run about this very same situation.
    Long story short, a lady parked in someone driveway and went to work. The owner of the house came home and park the car behind her car. Several hours later, the owner went for a walk, the lady got off from work and found that her car has been blocked. She claimed that she waited for a long time before she went to the back and gained entrance to the house, move the owner's car and lock up, then left.

A year later she confessed what she did to what turned out to be the sister of the owner of the house, then they went to court. She lost the case and paid $5000 in damage. Plus, criminal prosecution.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    If you wanted to be diplomatic you could even leave them a note asking them not to do it again, and warning them of the consequences if they do.

Front Range, Colorado
    Man you are missing out an income opportunity. Charge them less than what they would have to pay the university lot. If they don't pay they get towed.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I'm your density
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    If you wanted to be diplomatic you could even leave them a note asking them not to do it again, and warning them of the consequences if they do.
    or perhaps this:

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Man you are missing out an income opportunity. Charge them less than what they would have to pay the university lot. If they don't pay they get towed.
    but for dog's sake don't vandalize the vehicle.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Just call the police and inform them that a suspicious vehicle is parked in your drive way, and that you do not want to go in your house just in case they are ribbing you.

Units will arrive, officers will clear the area, truck will get towed and if lucky as soon as that tow truck leaves with their truck the owners will arrive to be greeted by a police officer who has no tolerance for this kind of behavior.

If the perps make even the slightest fuss about the situation, inform the police officer that you would like to press charges because that spot is reserved for someone who pays for it, payment does not need to be of a monetary nature, it could be service trade like tutoring assistance, research assistance, house cleaning or what ever you come up with that is not a lie.

Just do not sabotage or vandalize the vehicle in anyway, one you never know who is watching and two it could indirectly hurt others as they drive away. Just do not risk it.

Also I would not confront them either, I am almost certain that they have a plethora of ******** lines they could spill your way to earn your sympathy and gain their word of confidence.

Let the police handle it, besides who is to say that they are not just pretending to be students and scoping out houses, apartments, or other vehicles for their own ill gains.

Just my thoughts.
    De oppresso liber

T.W.O.
    Yeah, plus police officers have a very cool way of convincing them not to retaliate against you by simply making them your guardian angle. They would be responsible or at least the prime aspect if anything were to happen to your property.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    These bros looked like your stereotypical college *****bags; I have the feeling they'll laugh that kind of note off and think it's a bluff. And besides, they already got their one free pass today, when they decided to park there by surprise. I feel like they'll park at another house tomorrow, in which case I don't really care what they do or what happens if they meet a homeowner who dislikes surprise trucks even more than I do. But if they're stupid enough or arrogant enough to think that they can get away with it again at my place, my first call will be to the cops, and then I'll be calling a tow company. That's the easiest option for me, and still plenty inconvenient enough for them to think twice about parking here again.

And I like the idea of calling the police and telling them that there are possibly robbers in the house, but I'd rather not use emergency resources for something like that.

And DJ, mimi already addressed that potential money-making scheme. There usually isn't any extra room during the day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Towing laws not only vary by state by state.. but often also vary depending on county, and even municipalities within countys can have their own ordinances regulating towing.

For the most part.. Unless the vehicle was used in the commission of a crime, the police wont tow from private property. PPI's (Private Property Impounds) usually wont occur unless you can prove you live where you say you do. No tow truck company wants to get involved in a stolen vehicle case by some random person calling to tow a car which truly belongs where it does. In my area the Owner of a property requesting the tow doesnt get charged. The tow truck companies make their money from the hook, storage fees, and in some cases (here in Florida) if the vehicles owner doesnt respond to the tow truck within 30 days of the tow, the vehicle can legally be auctioned/sold by the tow truck company and the vehicle's owner has no recourse.

PPI tows in my area dont require police notification as its assumed by the vehicle's owner that when they park on private property other than their own they should have known if it was authorized to park there or not.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    What's happened to hot wire and joy rides???

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Turns out it was a friend of a roommate's car, just forgot to tell anyone the truck was going to be there. No harm done.

T.W.O.
    Turns out it was a friend of a roommate's car, just forgot to tell anyone the truck was going to be there. No harm done.
    hey now!! we all worked up now, there's no stoppin bro? Go thru with it anyways.

Front Range, Colorado
    And DJ, mimi already addressed that potential money-making scheme. There usually isn't any extra room during the day.
    Oh sorry mimi I didn't realize you already mentioned that.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Oh sorry mimi I didn't realize you already mentioned that.
    Ha, there's always "how much?", some are willing to overlook the difference at the right price right

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast