mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Google Fiber? What would you do?

A few days ago I read that Google will be implementing their fiber network in Austin, so I've got to thinking, "What would I do with Google Fiber", if it came to my city / state.

Well, I've had a couple of business ideas, and there are really only two things holding me back.

1) I do not live in a city or state that is condusive to said businesses
    2) I cannot work "remotely" due to transfer speeds and file sizes

Basically, the business idea is to set up a network rendering farm. You design the production, I will render for you. Of course, I would need to build a render farm, which I could do with business loans, except, no loan officer in their right mind would authorize it due to the reasons stated above.

This idea would allow for artists to maximize their design phase for a much longer period, since as it is, they need to allow time for their projects to render out. By outsourcing the rendering to a large scale, "cheap" network rendering company, they could work on their projects longer, and work out those "kinks".

Anyways, if affordable fiber did come to my neighborhood, the first order of "business" would be to download the internet, then to get this business idea off the ground

So what would you do?

AZ
    banned
    How do you "download the internet"? Is it the whole internet or just small parts of it? If you download the entire internet will I still be able to peruse the forums of MTBR? Is the price of the internet going to rise if you have control of it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Its a Firefox addon button. 1 click download, it performs a reverse who-is on every IP address, if it sees a website, it parses said website, and downloads all the pages. And yes, I will hold a monopoly on the internet. Each time you visit one of my sites, I get a little peice of your soul. Such is the price of using my intertubes.

(... I wonder how one could go about making that, and how long it would really take).

official eMpTyBRain
    My advice to you is not to do this. Federal Prison is not a nice place to reside. That is all.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    I once Googled Google and my computer blew up. So downloading the internet may be risky. Take Hawgs advice and back slowly away from your p.c.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yea yea yea.. but that would be one heck of a bargaining chip..

(In the accents of interrogation scene in Independence Day)

Feds: The White house would like their domain, and souls, returned
    Me: Release me

psycho cyclo addict
    Don't go building no field of dreams ballpark there SON...

So like there is this little thing called virtualization (that I've been involved with since 2005) or "cloud computing" for the teeming millions.

You can host whatever the heck you need, have it auto scale based on demand, maintain long term backups (Glacier rocks!), etc. all from Amazon Web Services or other providers (break out your crack pipe and hit it HARD if you wanna use Micro$oft's Azure).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Don't go building no field of dreams ballpark there SON...

So like there is this little thing called virtualization (that I've been involved with since 2005) or "cloud computing" for the teeming millions.

You can host whatever the heck you need, have it auto scale based on demand, maintain long term backups (Glacier rocks!), etc. all from Amazon Web Services or other providers (break out your crack pipe and hit it HARD if you wanna use Micro$oft's Azure).
    (re-read your post) The problem with those services is the cost associated.

For larger markets / companies, the idea really isn't to aim for those types of big money clients, but instead, aim for the smaller companies / college students. The ones that cannot afford the $1,000,000 data center with render nodes installed on the entire cluster.

If the business expanded into that, then.. yea. But I have no illusions of grandeur about it, nor would that be the "end-game" of the business.

edit again: Read up a bit on setting up an EC2 renderfarm on amazon. Fairly cheap, and would probably use this to start off with myself. How many design students or mom-and-pop shops that want to start media advertising, do you know that have the tech know-how to set up backburner, let alone everything else The price of convenience.

$2.60 per instance, per hour. Pretty cheap. So my imagined price point would allow for a decent, but not over-the-top, profit margin.

However, such is not the point of the thread, or is it? You still need the bandwidth to upload/download
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 04-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    (re-read your post) The problem with those services is the cost associated.

For larger markets / companies, the idea really isn't to aim for those types of big money clients, but instead, aim for the smaller companies / college students. The ones that cannot afford the $1,000,000 data center with render nodes installed on the entire cluster.
    Yeah ahhh,

You can try it for free... Try Cloud Computing Free with AWS Free Tier

For small implementations, the cost is unbelievably reasonable. I host 7 decent sized implementations up there and none exceed $600 per month. For some of them, I cannot host in my data center (32 or more CPUs crunching large data sets for relatively short periods of time). Another thing I do there has over 1 million images that get some heavy processing done to 'em for a fraction of the cost I'd incur building, hosting, maintaining and attempting to back it up efficiently in my own data center.