Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

Good Day's / Bad Day's

Well yesterday I finally bit the bullet and broke down and had a brake job done on my 06' Toyota Tacoma 4x4. It's been an awesome truck and by the outside it looks to be almost new. It has 106,000 on it now.

Here's a small list of the only mechanical fixes I've had to do.
    One battery
    One set of tires
    Oil changes every 5000 miles with high dollar 15000 mile Mobil One Synthetic.
    And it's first brake job yesterday. New rotors and pads up front for $352.00 a great deal.

So after getting the brakes done it felt like a new truck. It stopped on a dime and going down the highway the wheel was perfectly straight. I was on cloud nine. Yesterday the weather was perfect to test drive it. Today I wake up to 10" of snow that came in over night. I hop in my truck and and the roads haven't been plowed yet. No problem I have 4 wheel drive. Drop it in 4-High and it handles a like a dream. Head out and at the end of my street we have a round about. You know the kind of circle that they used in the movie European Vacation. They suck and for some reason someone in charge of roads has installed them all over northern Colorado.

So I'm in 4 wheel drive no problem then I come up on the round about and enter it. I had too much speed coming in and like a dummy I locked the brakes up [I know let off and it will grab, too late] and BAM I slid into the curb with my wheel cranked to the left. I knew right off I messed something up. I jump out and my alloy stock rim has a nice gouge out of it. After a few choice curse words I hop in and drive off. A couple more foul words when I realize my front end is jacked. It's my day off so I go down to my local alignment shop and my luck they're too busy to look at it today, so I made an appointment for tomorrow. I told him what happened and he made the snide remark that his business has really increased since all the round a bouts have been installed. I'll update you all with the findings of my nightmare. And how much more I have to shell out. One good thing these trucks are commonly lifted and guy's put larger wheels on them. So finding a wheel like that on Craigslist should be easy. But if they will sell just one may be a problem. Anybody else want to share a great day followed by a bad day or vice versa. Or just a good day or just a bad day.
    Here's a shot of today's weather, 10 degrees F. and we're at 10" currently with 13" final predicted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Day's / Bad Day's-image.jpg  

Good Day's / Bad Day's-image.jpg  

--------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Fishing/ Biking
    WOW. That sucks. Sorry man.

I know it's not 10" of snow, but today here in Vegas is 20 degrees colder than yesterday at 40 degrees this morning and I decided to take a ride to see how much clothes I need to wear in this colder weather. I did figure it out:

MORE.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As, you know, Here in America's Finest City we have NO bad days. Unless, of course you are a working-class person, in which case all your days are spent one injury or illness from being made homeless. Miss a few days, no trabajo, no comida!
    Then again, even the increasing numbers of beggars seem happy here! Win/win!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    As, you know, Here in America's Finest City we have NO bad days. Unless, of course you are a working-class person, in which case all your days are spent one injury or illness from being made homeless. Miss a few days, no trabajo, no comida!
    Then again, even the increasing numbers of beggars seem happy here! Win/win!
    Yes I know and I alway's told myself if I ever became down and out I'de catch a train to S.D.
    Which brings to mind some tragic news I recently found out. It happened about 10 years or so ago but I just found out a couple months ago. A pretty good friend that I went to high school with apparently became homeless. He made his way to Breckenridge in the middle of the summer. Once winter came along he was screwed being homeless, and he froze to death in the street. He was one of the top football and wrestlers in the school and always wore his letterman's jacket. A very sad and tragic end, he was around late thirties early forties.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

I eat cats
    Sorry to hear, DJ. At least the yota took it like a champ! You can look at it as a good day since that is all the damage and no one was hurt.

I also take good care of my '11 4Runner like you do your Tacoma. It gets washed at least twice a month, detailed twice per year, and regular maintenance with synthetic oil. But I also take it off the pavement quite a bit unlike most Southern California 4x4s.

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Sorry to hear, DJ. At least the yota took it like a champ! You can look at it as a good day since that is all the damage and no one was hurt.

I also take good care of my '11 4Runner like you do your Tacoma. It gets washed at least twice a month, detailed twice per year, and regular maintenance with synthetic oil. But I also take it off the pavement quite a bit unlike most Southern California 4x4s.
    Sweet! I'm so happy I opted for 4 wheel drive it can go anywhere. And it being a Yota it's like a Timex it just keeps going and going. I swear with 106,000 it still feels like new mechanically.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Fishing/ Biking
    I had an '89 4Runner as my first car. LOVED that thing! I finally sold it just before our daughter was born in '99. I think it had over 130K or somewhere close to that. She looked brand new and ran like a champ. The guy that bought it was SO stoked! He couldn't stop smiling.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

duh
    DJ have you towed any thing with the tacoma? How is it on gas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    DJ have you towed any thing with the tacoma? How is it on gas?
    Yep I used to tow a jet ski around.
    The big tow was a 12' U-Haul fully loaded to the brim from San Diego to Colorado in mostly snowy conditions. It handled like a dream and with it being a 4x4 with TRD off road suspension it didn't even sag. The gas mileage on that trip over mountain ranges and through desert averaged on the whole trip 15 m.p.g. Not too bad considering a small truck with a V-6

The V-6 packs some great power with 236 H.P. And even pulling that load I was never bogging down going over mountain ranges. In fact I could maintain any speed I wanted going through the mountains. It really impressed me. And unless something big changes my mind when it comes down to trading in I'm going for the exact same truck.

Edit: On that ^^^ trip as I came up over the Grand Canyon mountains. A huge snow storm came in and dumped 3' - 4' snows. The road wasn't plowed yet and I dropped it in 4 High and passed everybody pulling that trailer loaded down. The bed of the truck was loaded also. At some points the trailer was plowing the snow but the Yota pushed on. Very impressive little truck with power to spare.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-09-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Meatbomb
    Mine tows heavy and is lucky to get a bath twice a year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Day's / Bad Day's-2012-08-30-08.00.28.jpg  

Last edited by Phillbo; 12-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Mine tows heavy and is luck to get a bath twice a year
    That's a decent sized tow! I live at the beach so the regular washes are to reduce the salt wear on my 4Runner. We have a car wash/detail joint in the garage at my work so it's no sweat for me to get a wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

official eMpTyBRain
    Here's my good day/bad day story. It's all about sleep.

I took an Ambien the night before last. Slept solid all the way through the night. Woke up in a great mood. My life is stressful but I went through the day all smiles and happy. Felt productive at the end.

Next night, I took 6mg Melatonin. Slept like ****. Woke up grumpy and distressed. Had all kinds of crap happen that put me on the edge of going postal. Struggled through the day, yearning for it to be over with. I did have time to get in an afternoon ride so I guess it's finishing on a promising note.

Sorry about the messed up wheel and alignment DJ.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Here's my good day/bad day story. It's all about sleep.

I took an Ambien the night before last. Slept solid all the way through the night. Woke up in a great mood. My life is stressful but I went through the day all smiles and happy. Felt productive at the
    end.

Next night, I took 6mg Melatonin. Slept like ****.
    Woke up grumpy and distressed. Had all kinds of
    crap happen that put me on the edge of going
    postal. Struggled through the day, yearning for it to
    be over with. I did have time to get in an afternoon
    ride so I guess it's finishing on a promising note.

Sorry about the messed up wheel and alignment
    DJ.
    Well that sounds stressful. And thanks for the thoughts I'm just hoping that's all it is. An alignment adjustment and,a wheel.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Well that sounds stressful. And thanks for the thoughts I'm just hoping that's all it is. An alignment adjustment and,a wheel.
    Looks like it's going to be another Ambien night tonight. This bothers me though because that crap is bad news but wow is it effective.

Front Range, Colorado
    Looks like it's going to be another Ambien night tonight. This bothers me though because that crap is bad news but wow is it effective.
    Not just bad for you but also highly addictive.
    Can you spare some?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

I didn't do it
    I came down with Strep throat on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Felt like crap, cancelled Thanksgiving plans, became a hermit and ate Jello for Thanksgiving dinner. I got on Penicillin on Wed though and by Friday I was feeling much, much better. I'm almost done with the Penicillin regimen now and feel like a new man. I think I can say that all my ills are cured now.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member

Re: Good Day's / Bad Day's

I also drive a yota, a 98 4runner to be exact! 177k and still running like a champ.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    I came down with Strep throat on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Felt like crap, cancelled Thanksgiving plans, became a hermit and ate Jello for Thanksgiving dinner. I got on Penicillin on Wed though and by Friday I was feeling much, much better. I'm almost done with the Penicillin regimen now and feel like a new man. I think I can say that all my ills are cured now.
    Glad you're feeling better, man! Strep SUCKS!!!!

mtbr member
    I hate roundabouts, but they may perhaps help with 4 cars at a 4 way in MN. Bummer bout the wheel and alignment. Are drivers there any better with the snow than the MN drivers that were in my way today? It took me 2hrs to go 18miles and I got to do it twice, before and after work. Not necessarily a bad day, I mean I got to improve my patience and understanding. Not sure if I'm a better person for it though.

Also, ambien can't be all bad.... look at all the fun tiger had.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hear ambien takers become some of the BEST sleep-cookers! They even drive to the grocery store and buy the ingredients!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes I know and I alway's told myself if I ever became down and out I'de catch a train to S.D.
    Which brings to mind some tragic news I recently found out. It happened about 10 years or so ago but I just found out a couple months ago. A pretty good friend that I went to high school with apparently became homeless. He made his way to Breckenridge in the middle of the summer. Once winter came along he was screwed being homeless, and he froze to death in the street. He was one of the top football and wrestlers in the school and always wore his letterman's jacket. A very sad and tragic end, he was around late thirties early forties.
    Stuff like that DOES happen. A lot of people are quick to assume that anything like that could never happen to a responsible person, but it can. When we do well, we tend to give ourselves all of the credit. I tend to think that everything, and everybody, to a greater or a lesser degree, are connected.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I hear ambien takers become some of the BEST sleep-cookers! They even drive to the grocery store and buy the ingredients!
    Yeah I've heard all about that. I guess I have something to look forward to?

I didn't do it
    Glad you're feeling better, man! Strep SUCKS!!!!
    You're not kidding. I don't wish that on anybody.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Interesting day yesterday. 7" of snow came in early morning/throughout the day and the city and university completely dropped the ball on clearing the roads/walkways before it became unmanageable. So I spent the day walking to class through 7" of fresh snow and then sliding around campus. It's hilly around here and the snow quickly packed down into ice. Then today came around and I got to spend about an hour clearing out half of our driveway -- didn't have time yesterday, when it would have been so much easier. A good 2-3" of ice everywhere, in a sloped 7-car driveway and the accompanying sidewalk. Another hour tomorrow and it should be clear of ice. And then this weekend, another foot of snow is forecast, with temperatures more than 20 degrees below average. That's low-mid 20s during the day for the next week or so. The winter is really nice when it stays average.

On the car front, my 2000 GMC Safari has 180k miles. The suspension is shot, power windows are dead, but the engine* part of it works great. Just got new oil and a tire rotation today, and it should work well enough for at least a bit longer.

*Maybe that's cheating though. We put a new engine in just over 30k miles ago.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    You're not kidding. I don't wish that on anybody.
    Wow glad you're feeling better. Strep SUCKS!
    Wait is this what Hawg said, I meant every word of it damn- it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast