Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Good Day's / Bad Day's

Well yesterday I finally bit the bullet and broke down and had a brake job done on my 06' Toyota Tacoma 4x4. It's been an awesome truck and by the outside it looks to be almost new. It has 106,000 on it now.

Here's a small list of the only mechanical fixes I've had to do.
    One battery
    One set of tires
    Oil changes every 5000 miles with high dollar 15000 mile Mobil One Synthetic.
    And it's first brake job yesterday. New rotors and pads up front for $352.00 a great deal.

So after getting the brakes done it felt like a new truck. It stopped on a dime and going down the highway the wheel was perfectly straight. I was on cloud nine. Yesterday the weather was perfect to test drive it. Today I wake up to 10" of snow that came in over night. I hop in my truck and and the roads haven't been plowed yet. No problem I have 4 wheel drive. Drop it in 4-High and it handles a like a dream. Head out and at the end of my street we have a round about. You know the kind of circle that they used in the movie European Vacation. They suck and for some reason someone in charge of roads has installed them all over northern Colorado.

So I'm in 4 wheel drive no problem then I come up on the round about and enter it. I had too much speed coming in and like a dummy I locked the brakes up [I know let off and it will grab, too late] and BAM I slid into the curb with my wheel cranked to the left. I knew right off I messed something up. I jump out and my alloy stock rim has a nice gouge out of it. After a few choice curse words I hop in and drive off. A couple more foul words when I realize my front end is jacked. It's my day off so I go down to my local alignment shop and my luck they're too busy to look at it today, so I made an appointment for tomorrow. I told him what happened and he made the snide remark that his business has really increased since all the round a bouts have been installed. I'll update you all with the findings of my nightmare. And how much more I have to shell out. One good thing these trucks are commonly lifted and guy's put larger wheels on them. So finding a wheel like that on Craigslist should be easy. But if they will sell just one may be a problem. Anybody else want to share a great day followed by a bad day or vice versa. Or just a good day or just a bad day.
    Here's a shot of today's weather, 10 degrees F. and we're at 10" currently with 13" final predicted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Day's / Bad Day's-image.jpg  

Good Day's / Bad Day's-image.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado.

The Boat or The Bike?
    WOW. That sucks. Sorry man.

I know it's not 10" of snow, but today here in Vegas is 20 degrees colder than yesterday at 40 degrees this morning and I decided to take a ride to see how much clothes I need to wear in this colder weather. I did figure it out:

MORE.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

banned
    Sep 2010
    As, you know, Here in America's Finest City we have NO bad days. Unless, of course you are a working-class person, in which case all your days are spent one injury or illness from being made homeless. Miss a few days, no trabajo, no comida!
    Then again, even the increasing numbers of beggars seem happy here! Win/win!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    As, you know, Here in America's Finest City we have NO bad days. Unless, of course you are a working-class person, in which case all your days are spent one injury or illness from being made homeless. Miss a few days, no trabajo, no comida!
    Then again, even the increasing numbers of beggars seem happy here! Win/win!
    Yes I know and I alway's told myself if I ever became down and out I'de catch a train to S.D.
    Which brings to mind some tragic news I recently found out. It happened about 10 years or so ago but I just found out a couple months ago. A pretty good friend that I went to high school with apparently became homeless. He made his way to Breckenridge in the middle of the summer. Once winter came along he was screwed being homeless, and he froze to death in the street. He was one of the top football and wrestlers in the school and always wore his letterman's jacket. A very sad and tragic end, he was around late thirties early forties.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Sorry to hear, DJ. At least the yota took it like a champ! You can look at it as a good day since that is all the damage and no one was hurt.

I also take good care of my '11 4Runner like you do your Tacoma. It gets washed at least twice a month, detailed twice per year, and regular maintenance with synthetic oil. But I also take it off the pavement quite a bit unlike most Southern California 4x4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Sorry to hear, DJ. At least the yota took it like a champ! You can look at it as a good day since that is all the damage and no one was hurt.

I also take good care of my '11 4Runner like you do your Tacoma. It gets washed at least twice a month, detailed twice per year, and regular maintenance with synthetic oil. But I also take it off the pavement quite a bit unlike most Southern California 4x4s.
    Sweet! I'm so happy I opted for 4 wheel drive it can go anywhere. And it being a Yota it's like a Timex it just keeps going and going. I swear with 106,000 it still feels like new mechanically.
    Front Range, Colorado.

The Boat or The Bike?
    I had an '89 4Runner as my first car. LOVED that thing! I finally sold it just before our daughter was born in '99. I think it had over 130K or somewhere close to that. She looked brand new and ran like a champ. The guy that bought it was SO stoked! He couldn't stop smiling.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

****** to the dirt
    DJ have you towed any thing with the tacoma? How is it on gas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    DJ have you towed any thing with the tacoma? How is it on gas?
    Yep I used to tow a jet ski around.
    The big tow was a 12' U-Haul fully loaded to the brim from San Diego to Colorado in mostly snowy conditions. It handled like a dream and with it being a 4x4 with TRD off road suspension it didn't even sag. The gas mileage on that trip over mountain ranges and through desert averaged on the whole trip 15 m.p.g. Not too bad considering a small truck with a V-6

The V-6 packs some great power with 236 H.P. And even pulling that load I was never bogging down going over mountain ranges. In fact I could maintain any speed I wanted going through the mountains. It really impressed me. And unless something big changes my mind when it comes down to trading in I'm going for the exact same truck.

Edit: On that ^^^ trip as I came up over the Grand Canyon mountains. A huge snow storm came in and dumped 3' - 4' snows. The road wasn't plowed yet and I dropped it in 4 High and passed everybody pulling that trailer loaded down. The bed of the truck was loaded also. At some points the trailer was plowing the snow but the Yota pushed on. Very impressive little truck with power to spare.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Meatbomb
    Mine tows heavy and is lucky to get a bath twice a year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Day's / Bad Day's-2012-08-30-08.00.28.jpg  

Last edited by Phillbo; 12-05-2013 at 07:44 AM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Mine tows heavy and is luck to get a bath twice a year
    That's a decent sized tow! I live at the beach so the regular washes are to reduce the salt wear on my 4Runner. We have a car wash/detail joint in the garage at my work so it's no sweat for me to get a wash.

mtbr member
    Here's my good day/bad day story. It's all about sleep.

I took an Ambien the night before last. Slept solid all the way through the night. Woke up in a great mood. My life is stressful but I went through the day all smiles and happy. Felt productive at the end.

Next night, I took 6mg Melatonin. Slept like shit. Woke up grumpy and distressed. Had all kinds of crap happen that put me on the edge of going postal. Struggled through the day, yearning for it to be over with. I did have time to get in an afternoon ride so I guess it's finishing on a promising note.

Sorry about the messed up wheel and alignment DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Here's my good day/bad day story. It's all about sleep.

I took an Ambien the night before last. Slept solid all the way through the night. Woke up in a great mood. My life is stressful but I went through the day all smiles and happy. Felt productive at the
    end.

Next night, I took 6mg Melatonin. Slept like shit.
    Woke up grumpy and distressed. Had all kinds of
    crap happen that put me on the edge of going
    postal. Struggled through the day, yearning for it to
    be over with. I did have time to get in an afternoon
    ride so I guess it's finishing on a promising note.

Sorry about the messed up wheel and alignment
    DJ.
    Well that sounds stressful. And thanks for the thoughts I'm just hoping that's all it is. An alignment adjustment and,a wheel.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Well that sounds stressful. And thanks for the thoughts I'm just hoping that's all it is. An alignment adjustment and,a wheel.
    Looks like it's going to be another Ambien night tonight. This bothers me though because that crap is bad news but wow is it effective.

Looks like it's going to be another Ambien night tonight. This bothers me though because that crap is bad news but wow is it effective.
    Not just bad for you but also highly addictive.
    Can you spare some?
    Front Range, Colorado.

I didn't do it
    I came down with Strep throat on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Felt like crap, cancelled Thanksgiving plans, became a hermit and ate Jello for Thanksgiving dinner. I got on Penicillin on Wed though and by Friday I was feeling much, much better. I'm almost done with the Penicillin regimen now and feel like a new man. I think I can say that all my ills are cured now.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member

Re: Good Day's / Bad Day's

I also drive a yota, a 98 4runner to be exact! 177k and still running like a champ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    I came down with Strep throat on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Felt like crap, cancelled Thanksgiving plans, became a hermit and ate Jello for Thanksgiving dinner. I got on Penicillin on Wed though and by Friday I was feeling much, much better. I'm almost done with the Penicillin regimen now and feel like a new man. I think I can say that all my ills are cured now.
    Glad you're feeling better, man! Strep SUCKS!!!!

mtbr member
    I hate roundabouts, but they may perhaps help with 4 cars at a 4 way in MN. Bummer bout the wheel and alignment. Are drivers there any better with the snow than the MN drivers that were in my way today? It took me 2hrs to go 18miles and I got to do it twice, before and after work. Not necessarily a bad day, I mean I got to improve my patience and understanding. Not sure if I'm a better person for it though.

Also, ambien can't be all bad.... look at all the fun tiger had.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I hear ambien takers become some of the BEST sleep-cookers! They even drive to the grocery store and buy the ingredients!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Yes I know and I alway's told myself if I ever became down and out I'de catch a train to S.D.
    Which brings to mind some tragic news I recently found out. It happened about 10 years or so ago but I just found out a couple months ago. A pretty good friend that I went to high school with apparently became homeless. He made his way to Breckenridge in the middle of the summer. Once winter came along he was screwed being homeless, and he froze to death in the street. He was one of the top football and wrestlers in the school and always wore his letterman's jacket. A very sad and tragic end, he was around late thirties early forties.
    Stuff like that DOES happen. A lot of people are quick to assume that anything like that could never happen to a responsible person, but it can. When we do well, we tend to give ourselves all of the credit. I tend to think that everything, and everybody, to a greater or a lesser degree, are connected.

mtbr member
    I hear ambien takers become some of the BEST sleep-cookers! They even drive to the grocery store and buy the ingredients!
    Yeah I've heard all about that. I guess I have something to look forward to?

I didn't do it
    Glad you're feeling better, man! Strep SUCKS!!!!
    You're not kidding. I don't wish that on anybody.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Interesting day yesterday. 7" of snow came in early morning/throughout the day and the city and university completely dropped the ball on clearing the roads/walkways before it became unmanageable. So I spent the day walking to class through 7" of fresh snow and then sliding around campus. It's hilly around here and the snow quickly packed down into ice. Then today came around and I got to spend about an hour clearing out half of our driveway -- didn't have time yesterday, when it would have been so much easier. A good 2-3" of ice everywhere, in a sloped 7-car driveway and the accompanying sidewalk. Another hour tomorrow and it should be clear of ice. And then this weekend, another foot of snow is forecast, with temperatures more than 20 degrees below average. That's low-mid 20s during the day for the next week or so. The winter is really nice when it stays average.

On the car front, my 2000 GMC Safari has 180k miles. The suspension is shot, power windows are dead, but the engine* part of it works great. Just got new oil and a tire rotation today, and it should work well enough for at least a bit longer.

*Maybe that's cheating though. We put a new engine in just over 30k miles ago.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    You're not kidding. I don't wish that on anybody.
    Wow glad you're feeling better. Strep SUCKS!
    Wait is this what Hawg said, I meant every word of it damn- it.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I hate roundabouts, but they may perhaps help with 4 cars at a 4 way in MN. Bummer bout the wheel and alignment. Are drivers there any better with the snow than the MN drivers that were in my way today? It took me 2hrs to go 18miles and I got to do it twice, before and after work. Not necessarily a bad day, I mean I got to improve my patience and understanding. Not sure if I'm a better person for it though.

Also, ambien can't be all bad.... look at all the fun tiger had.
    Yes round a bouts SUCK in the winter anyway. In the summer they work great if everybody follows the rules. But we all know there's always some
    yahoo that makes up his own. I don't know how many times I've already entered and some moron comes flying in at full bore without yielding and almost kills me. Luckily I'm a defensive driver. And like I said in the last 10 years they have installed them everywhere in Northern Colorado and there are countless accidents that happen within them.

For those that unfamiliar with what the rules are in a round a bout. Who ever is entering you yield the right of way to who ever is already in. One simple rule that few seem to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Interesting day yesterday. 7" of snow came in early morning/throughout the day and the city and university completely dropped the ball on clearing the roads/walkways before it became unmanageable. So I spent the day walking to class through 7" of fresh snow and then sliding around campus. It's hilly around here and the snow quickly packed down into ice. Then today came around and I got to spend about an hour clearing out half of our driveway -- didn't have time yesterday, when it would have been so much easier. A good 2-3" of ice everywhere, in a sloped 7-car driveway and the accompanying sidewalk. Another hour tomorrow and it should be clear of ice. And then this weekend, another foot of snow is forecast, with temperatures more than 20 degrees below average. That's low-mid 20s during the day for the next week or so. The winter is really nice when it stays average.

On the car front, my 2000 GMC Safari has 180k miles. The suspension is shot, power windows are dead, but the engine* part of it works great. Just got new oil and a tire rotation today, and it should work well enough for at least a bit longer.

*Maybe that's cheating though. We put a new engine in just over 30k miles ago.
    Well sound's like your day was almost as frustrating. And to have that much mileage on a GMC is pretty good. Although as you said a new motor at 30k is cheating.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-05-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

Mine tows heavy and is luck to get a bath twice a year
    Nice rig!
    Front Range, Colorado.

Meatbomb
    I can't take it anymore. The last time I took it my GF found me in the front yard naked with my chain saw and about to start cutting down trees.

mtbr member
    I can't take it anymore. The last time I took it my GF found me in the front yard naked with my chain saw and about to start cutting down trees.
    Pics or GTFO!

This is partially why I continue to take it. I wanna see what subconscious adventures it sends me on.

I did take it last night but I do not feel as refreshed as i usually do. I've had a very minor migraine since yesterday morning and it's still with me so that is probably why I'm not feeling 100%.

mtbr member
    Yes, pics please.... or maybe not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Here's my bad day. We just made the appointment to put our 13-year-old golden to sleep on Tuesday. For my three year old son, this will be his second dog death, but the first he'll understand. Any advice on whether or not to tell him ahead of time and stuff?

I bring this to OC. Be yourselves. I'm a sick *&#%. Make me laugh with your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by millargeo View Post
    Here's my bad day. We just made the appointment to put our 13-year-old golden to sleep on Tuesday. For my three year old son, this will be his second dog death, but the first he'll understand. Any advice on whether or not to tell him ahead of time and stuff?

I bring this to OC. Be yourselves. I'm a sick *&#%. Make me laugh with your advice.
    Even the O.C. Has enough class not to joke about something this sad.
    Sorry to hear but as you said he's three. Just tell him he went on a trip to doggie heaven. I don't know I'm at a loss here.
    Front Range, Colorado.

It would be a good day if some of you joined the REVOLT and hopped on the bandwagon with me. gear indicators
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear you are losing a member of your family. If you think your son will comprehend then let him know about it so he isn't too upset when the dog just doesn't come back. Let him get his last hugs and say his goodbyes. Unless the dog can't stand him cause he pulls on his tail and screams in his ears. In that case, let the dog have some peace before his time comes. Again, sorry to hear it, if it's the dog's time then it's time for steak. My condolences.

banned
    Sep 2012

Very sad to hear. I think everyone here will agree that animals, especially pets, get the utmost respect in the OC. I lost a dog last year and I still have bad days. As for your son, 3 is pretty young to understand death so a happy story about the pooch going to dog heaven to be with other pooch friends may be a good call. I don't have kids yet though so I may be wrong about the age of understanding this stuff.

Sick/Passed Away Dog and Cat Support Thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We've been toying with "Gus went to play with Wally," who was our other golden, and died about a 9 months ago.

banned
    Sep 2012
    We've been toying with "Gus went to play with Wally," who was our other golden, and died about a 9 months ago.
    That seems like the best type of approach to me. In the meantime give that dog as much love as you can because I know he has giving you and your family nothing but unconditional love for 13 years.

Now stop making me tear up at work!

Best of luck and my condolences go out to you and your family.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I asked you guys to joke about this.

****** to the dirt

Sorry to hear your loss. I can't joke about something like that for I have a dog and would miss her.

****** to the dirt
    It would be a good day if some of you joined the REVOLT and hopped on the bandwagon with me. gear indicators
    Never DJ never will I forgo my indicators that have no numbers on them, never I say never.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I asked you guys to joke about this.
    I say don't tell him. Or tell him," '------' is going away for almost half a year." That's about the wait time for my friend the taxidermists service. He's really good!

Just an update on my good day / bad day episode. As you recall I slid on ice and slammed my front right wheel sideways into a curb. I thought I did some serious damage and bent some front end parts. Luckily it turned out to be just a front end alignment and only $60 later. Plus my brake job of $352 and I'm in like new shape. What a relief!

Oh and the rim isn't bent just some cosmetic damage. As I said these trucks are commonly lifted and bigger wheels and tires added. So I have seen the stock wheels on Craigslist for sale several times. I'll have to keep my eyes open and hopefully someone will sell me only one instead of the whole set of 4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Day's / Bad Day's-image.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    ^ Great news DJ!

Last year I had a big problem (or so I thought) with my car's brakes, when the ABS was activating when it wasn't supposed to and the speedometer was screwed up, wouldn't say I was moving. Turns out it was only a screwed-up speed sensor in the rear wheels. A $30 part and some light labor charges and everything was fixed up.

And I had a great day today. Spent the morning skiing and boarding -- the mountain got nearly a foot and a half of snow the other day and that snow was still plenty soft/powerdy this morning. Added bonus -- they had those "chains required" signs flashing on the highway heading up the mountain, but the snow was packed enough to not need tire chains. I was overheating and breaking a good sweat while riding, and then I headed back to the car at noon, only to find out that it had warmed up to 8F while I was out. And then I got home, ordered a delivery sandwich from Jimmy John's, and watched the '9ers game.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

occ member
    DJ,before you spend $ on a replacement rim,check these out:

SCS F-5 wheels 16x8 - Tacoma World Forums

Eventually,I'd like to get a set of the F-5's in matte gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    ^ Great news DJ!

Last year I had a big problem (or so I thought) with my car's brakes, when the ABS was activating when it wasn't supposed to and the speedometer was screwed up, wouldn't say I was moving. Turns out it was only a screwed-up speed sensor in the rear wheels. A $30 part and some light labor charges and everything was fixed up.

And I had a great day today. Spent the morning skiing and boarding -- the mountain got nearly a foot and a half of snow the other day and that snow was still plenty soft/powerdy this morning. Added bonus -- they had those "chains required" signs flashing on the highway heading up the mountain, but the snow was packed enough to not need tire chains. I was overheating and breaking a good sweat while riding, and then I headed back to the car at noon, only to find out that it had warmed up to 8F while I was out. And then I got home, ordered a delivery sandwich from Jimmy John's, and watched the '9ers game.
    Thank's! Sound's like you had a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    DJ,before you spend $ on a replacement rim,check these out:

SCS F-5 wheels 16x8 - Tacoma World Forums

Eventually,I'd like to get a set of the F-5's in matte gray.
    Yep those are killer as well as many others. But I'm not in the position to be dropping that much coin on a whole set of 4.

No big deal if I can't find someone to sell me one one rim. It's not that bad and it's just cosmetic I can live with it.

Check this out when I first bought that truck I was at my GF sisters house visiting. My brand new truck was parked in the street and I heard kids playing out near it. I went out and asked them to please go down aways and play. A few minutes later I walk out and see them pedaling their little bikes as fast as they could away. A couple 7 year old boys. I immediately scan my new truck for damage. Sure enough one of them fell and the handlebar put two major gouges in the front rim. I knew they did it the truck was a couple day's old. So I asked my GF's sisters kids if they knew who they were and where they lived. They did and took me to their house. I talked to the single mother who questioned them. They finally confessed and she bought me a new rim.

I have that old rim somewhere, I think in storage in San Diego. But I think it's even more damaged than this damaged one, Murphy's law right!
    Front Range, Colorado.

check your six

Sorry to hear man. Losing a pet is a tough one to swallow, especially for the kids. It still bothers me to think of the pets I have lost, some from 15+ years ago. I'd also go with the "playing with wally" approach for now. If tomorrow is "the day", please give your pup some extra petting for me.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ugh. Tomorrow is the day. He's getting a bacon cheeseburger tonight.

Sorry to hear that brother. So what did you or are you going to say to your son.
    Front Range, Colorado.

banned
    Sep 2010
    That's very sad. Get him two.

On the other hand, he's lucky. He isn't gonna feel a thing, unlike you.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Good call on the burger, he will love it! When I was in high school one of our dogs, Sadie, had cancer and she went through chemo. After every treatment Sadie would get all excited to drive through Jack in the Box for a cheeseburger. I remember the veterinarian saying that dogs handle things like chemo treatment way better/easier than humans do because they are always just happy to be around there family/owners. He was the one who suggested the burgers too, I guess a little saturated fat was the least of the health concerns.

I wish Gus the best in his next adventures up in doggy heaven!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast