Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

going to NYC in sept vacation

fellow mtbr's i am headed to NYC to stay at my cousins. need some advice, insight, suggestion, opinions, MUST DO's on what to do during my stay. I definitely will be playing tourist: circle boat ride, central park, museums, times square, rockafeller ctr, chelsea walk, 911, brooklyn bridge, NFL monday night FB, and I GOT TICKETS TO YANKEES/ORIOLES - JETER'S LAST HOME GAMES

i will also be checking out some comic stores, forbidden planet and midtown and eating crap load of pizza and drinking beer all day.

i need more suggestions on what i could do and see in NYC. maybe more comic shops, toy stores, eating places, general shopping, interesting shows,.....i would just like to see and do as much as this 43 year old body can handle. just keep in mind i will more thank likely just stay on manhattan except for when we cross over the brooklyn bridge, metlife stadium and yankees stadium. keep in mind also we will mostly be walking

unfortunately no biking although i wish i was but my present company isn't into it.

mtbr member
    What's your budget like? How old and where's your cuz? Kids involved?
    I'll try to hit you up later when I'm not on my phone with fat fingers
    Round and round we go

I didn't do it
    You seem to have quite a bit on the agenda already, I'm worn out just reading it. Have you asked your cousins for some ideas?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

no kids. leaving them at home... yipeee! just me and my buddy. budget is not bad since we are staying at my cuz's empty apt in chelsea before they sell. yes i am going to talk to my cuzin but don't want to bother her too much now since she got real young ones. figure i get a head start on planning

mtbr member
    do yourself a favor and visit the ground zero memorial & museum which opened a few months ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

forgot yes we are going 911 memorial

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The best NYC trip is one that isn't planned. Just get lost in the city, you'll see amazing stuff and probably meet some interesting people. Always know your surroundings though and make sure you aren't in a bad part of town.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Telling you what my favs are is pretty much like telling you what my favorite flavor of ice cream is but i'll share,
    Eats...
    Fav restaurants that aren't too expensive would have to be Olive Tree | Comedy Cellar with comedy cellar right downstairs
    and Family Style Italian Restaurant NYC | Italian Dining & Cuisine Large Portions Go to the one uptown, the one in the theater district is tacky and the food and service is no where near the same.
    food trucks are crazy big fad these days and some are slammin good. This will get you started and most have some sorta social network that updates where they are for any given day. Here Are the 10 Best Food Trucks in NYC | Village Voice
    Fav neighborhoods would be the Village (greenwich) , and the upper east side. If you like to people watch this is it. Washington square park in the Village, and madison ave uptown would be the hearts of em.
    The garment center during the work week if you want some hustle and bustle, and bryant park is a good starting point for that.
    Don't take a pedy cab (bike wagon taxi) unless you want to get ripped off and take your life in your hands.
    Wall street should be seen, and the fulton fish market and it's surroundings is where they gather after work for drinks and to shoot the breeze.
    My fav Broadway show, so far, that's still running, is by far Wicked. Depending on your standing American express can help you with any reservations you might have problems with.
    Fav theater is Beacon Theatre - Official Web Site - New York City so check it out to see if anything interests you. Not super formal, more casual but awesome.
    If you're looking for a great view avoid the lines and tourist at the Empire state bld, and instead go to the top of the rock (rockerfellar center). Not the restaurant, it's not that good and overpriced, but the bld's observatory deck is better, and less crowded.
    Fav museum is American Museum of Natural History Must see the dinosaurs at the main entrance, and the life size whale downstairs. The planetarium is cool too.
    If you're looking for ultra good pricey whatever i haven't mentioned any, and if there's any other questions you have let me me know, i'll try to help if i can
    Oh, and most new yorkers are totally cool and helpful, regardless of what you may have heard. Like any big city, watch for scams and your back.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

have upper eastside on itinerary but not sure what to check out. jefferson's building? haha

any cool bike shops with vintage stuff? i've been going through yelp like mad checking out toy shops, comic books, pizza, clothing stores, etc...

mtbr member
    Upper east side is very chicky, with lots of pricey shoppes and lots of pretty people. The Guggenheim should be seen but i find their art a bit chi chi fu fu.
    Manhattan isn't a good place for lbs, and i don't know of any with a good vintage collection. Most have lower end stuff that caters to bike messengers, and pricey stuff that caters to everyone else. Not saying there aren't any, but i don't know of any.
    FAO Shwarz, and the lego store at rockerfellar center should be seen if you're into that
    My current fav slice is Joe's Pizza | The Greenwich Village Institution but that's highly debatable and there's so many good spots i couldn't tell you.
    Can't help you on comics, but I'll see a friend tomorrow who is into it and if he knows any i will post it up.
    Round and round we go

Hi There!
    I was just there a couple weeks ago and while I'm nowhere near an expert some things I like are The Lower East Side Tenement Museum

Tenement Museum New York City - NYC Museum

The NYC Police Museum although their building got wrecked and for now they just have a small space

The New York City Police Museum

I went to the Top of The Rock before, it was really cool.

In Grand Central Station there is a market, not the food court, which has some really good takeout food for a quick snack, and I liked eating in Chinatown.

Got to see Jeter play one more time as well.

Wish I would have seen theMeat's suggestions before I went, darn.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I'd agree the tenement museum is one of the most enjoyable i'v ever been to. Probably more so because i have some roots associated with it.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

got tickets for jeter's last home stand albeit not the last game but 3rd to last. the energy is going to be bananas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dunno if this is already posted up, but you MUST get a 'sammich from both Katz and the Carnegie Deli's......I know, it artery-clogging fare, but one every now and then is fine. In more ways than one, their pastrami and corned beef is to DIE for!

When in Rome.......
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    While Katz and Carnegie are an experience all their own, it's mostly tourists who go there and wait on line and pay to much for a meal. Katz is still good, but Carnigie used to be good and expensive, now it's just expensive.
    I'd recommend Artie's delicatessen, followed by 2nd ave deli which is still called that but on 3rd ave now.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    While Katz and Carnegie are an experience all their own, it's mostly tourists who go there and wait on line and pay to much for a meal. Katz is still good, but Carnigie used to be good and expensive, now it's just expensive.
    I'd recommend Artie's delicatessen, followed by 2nd ave deli which is still called that but on 3rd ave now.
    that's what i figured. thanks that's just the kind of input i am looking for. Artie's it is then. where is Artie's?

theMeat, my friend and i are staying in the chelsea area and from what i gathered in the week or so i've been planning this, walking seems to be the best way to experience NYC. checking distances on google maps, it seems like the walks are not very far and so doable and chelsea is in a pretty good central location close to hell's kitchen, times square, central park, the villages, soho, brooklyn bridge and such. I've so far planned what i think is an efficient walk around to cover most of the areas and attraction we want to see in the 7 days we will be in NYC. I would just like your opinion on if walking to many of NYC's Manhattan highlights are doable. It seems very easy but just would like your take on it. My bro is a fireman and i am in law enforcement and we seem to be in decent shape for 40 somethings (no we are not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that!)

also that tenement museum sounds very very interesting. it's now on our itinerary.

mtbr member
    Artie's delicatessen on 83rd Street on broadway between 82 and 83 i'm pretty sure.
    I'd get a map of manhattan and study it before you get there. Aside from broadway curving, and the names of streets sometimes not being numbered the city is very easy above lets say Houston or 4th street. Even thou it might not be far distances as the crow flies, with lots of people and car traffic it can take some time to get around. For the places you mentioned sure you could walk, but i'd sooner jump on a train, a bike or into a taxi. You'l do plenty of walking once you get there. I'd get familiar with the subway and get yourself a metro card. I'd also consider taking a taxi now end then, especially at night after a few drinks, and never during working hours to go across town anywhere in midtown. oh, and avoid going into the port authority. Btw, the second ave deli is much closer to where you're staying, but Artie's is my fav. It's good you don't have a problem with gays, considering you're staying in Chelsea. If you go out for something late at nigh and get approached by a women selling herself, don't be surprised if you payed for a man. It's not still called the meat packing district for nothing.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    by avoiding the port authority you mean forget the bus? i think maybe we will walk to our destination(s), walk around, then maybe catch the cab back to chelsea. BUT if we cab it back during quitting time (4-6) we will get stuck in a bunch of traffic? seems better if we just walk as i assume the subways will be packed too.

I figure yes will use the cab if when out at night drinking. the cab in itself is an experience too right?

I only went to NYC once before in '85 as a freshman in high school. I was still clinging to my parents but thought NYC was one of the coolest places! the vibe was awesome and the city seems to have so much energy

Hi There!
    I hope Jeter plays when you go, last games so he probably will. We were up there because of a wedding so took a chance, and Jeter played which was great, August 4th. Also, my wife is Japanese and we both love Ichiro, he wasn't supposed to play that night but Tex was a last minute scratch so we got to see him too...Bonus.

You don't mention taking the subway at all, how come?
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    the port authority is where you catch many buses leaving manhattan. There's many city buses up and down many avenues as well as some cross town buses which have there own lane so not too bad. Haven't been on a city bus in years but i'm pretty sure they take metro cards too. The subways aren't that bad and the best way to get around. Certainly the way to get from manhattan to the bronx for your yankee game. Unless you want to splerge on a black cab or the new green taxi that go to other boroughs. Yeah, cabs can be an experience and yeah, the subways and the whole city gets real busy around quitin time. The city is alot safer than it was in 85' and there's an incredible amount of foreigners these days.
    Where are you coming from?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I should have mentioned tht my experience with the delis was about 17 years ago, when I was visiting NYC in a teaching role. I asked the students to get me what I figured were the typical, "iconic" man-in-the-street lunch items, and back then that's where they picked.

Still, the "when in Rome" rule generally works out to find the culinary specialties of a given town. Those were a couple of awesome sandwiches, but I can see how what's good can change in basically what amounts to a generation these days.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

we will most likely subway it to yankee stadium. the reason its not mentioned much is because like i said it seems as if walking is the best way to take in the city. we will probably do a mix of both

like i said we are staying in chelsea at my cuzins place and you can't beat that! being 1st responders and a little older i think for the most part we are fairly street smart.

we are comin from middle of the pacific hawaii

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

yeah even back in 85 when nyc was notorious for crime and smut it was still frikin exciting

mtbr member
    Awesome. Have an uncle who retired to Hawaii and I'd love to get there some day soon.
    Round and round we go

pin it
    I'm appreciating this thread too and enjoying the suggestions. I have been checking out the links. I've never been to NYC but I would sure like to visit one day.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast