Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Blue ridges. Not called blue ridge for nothing. Some of the best mountains ever. I suspect they're roughly five hours' drive from you?

TN, post away.

Things that piss me off, to stay in topic here:
    When people leave lights on/water running. I want to shove bamboo shoots up their nails.
    Traffic congestion makes me unreasonably hostile, even when I'm not the one driving.
    Over-talkers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

re member
    Yeah, about five hours, maybe a little less.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Sup
    My XX1 showed up today "SWEET"
    The hub driver did not "not sweet"
    They better be coming in a separate box.
    Right now QBP is showing the will be available in late march.
    They had them available to open buy when I ordered my groupo.
    If they did not put aside the drivers to those who pre ordered the gropo with them I don't think I will be the only one ranting.
    So much for knowing what XX1 will be like before the end of the world.
    STUPID MAYAN'S !!!!!!!!

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    My XX1 showed up today "SWEET"
    The hub driver did not "not sweet"
    They better be coming in a separate box.
    Right now QBP is showing the will be available in late march.
    They had them available to open buy when I ordered my groupo.
    If they did not put aside the drivers to those who pre ordered the gropo with them I don't think I will be the only one ranting.
    So much for knowing what XX1 will be like before the end of the world.
    STUPID MAYAN'S !!!!!!!!

Sj
    Hub driver??

Magura

Dissolved member
    USPS is apparently mishandling my stuff. Bath ME -> Scarborough ME -> Philadelphia? WTF!? -> ??? -> Boston MA

Is there anything the government *can* do right?

Lie, cheat and steal for $200 Alex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Sup
    this thingy
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 12-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    I am slow therefore I am

DIY all the way
    this thingy
    The freehub body, or just the hub end?

Magura

Sup
    free hub body
    hope its on its way otherwise everything else is useless
    nice looking but useless

wait a minute
    I think I dated her once LOL

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

DIY all the way
    free hub body
    hope its on its way otherwise everything else is useless
    nice looking but useless

wait a minute
    I think I dated her once LOL

Sj
    Ok, then I can't help you. Asked cause making the hub end would be no big deal.

Magura

Sup
    you are first class mr. magura
    I'm hoping it shipped out of there other warehouse
    otherwise I saw a couple on line
    I will figure it out somehow
    tis beyond the ability of the taig lathe I have access too
    no thread cutting ability
    oh well I will live

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    USPS is apparently mishandling my stuff. Bath ME -> Scarborough ME -> Philadelphia? WTF!? -> ??? -> Boston MA

Is there anything the government *can* do right?
    Sadly the only thing the government can get right is spending our money like there is no tomorrow...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll look into it.
    Manual labor, Kona, is another option. In a previous life, I worked for a tree service, cutting down?? You guessed it, trees. Hard physical work, decent pay, learned a skill. Yes dropping trees right where you want them is a skill. Seems like just "a job", but why couldn't it turn into eventually you having your own company. Where you live, there's plenty of trees, should be plenty of work. Don't pigeon hole yourself into a narrow career field, be open minded. You may not end up doing what you want, but do you really, really KNOW what you want??

Sup
    I have been there Kona0197
    I have a good job now and after reading you post feel a little stupid complaining about missing on part for my over priced groupo
    I worked 2 jobs while putting myself through school
    I have been turned down by Mc Shats
    I did foundation work for labor ready and have the back to prove it
    I worked for a company called Crack Filling Service
    the point is stay positive and smile and work your a$$ off
    because if you can smile now people will pick up on this and things will get better
    it is human nature to help out someone who is up beat and positive when things look grim
    hang in there man
    I wish you the best of luck

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Prime
    Can't disagree with a single word from SJ. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    27/f/Cali

Maya is a naughty monkey, but not THAT naughty, Monzie! :O!! I do like the cut of dem mountains dere, however. *swoons*

Trail Ninja, you should post that story in the O/C poop thread Just sayin'

Magura, just tell her, "If you love something, set it free!" I know I don't want to be caged in, so I would never expect my partner(s) to be either I know, I know, I am a *bit* too liberal for the times still. I keep telling people I was born too soon! I should have been born 200 years in the future, I think things will be more interesting then Then again, I also believe that this age is the gateway to what lies ahead; A short span of time that all of history will point to as being the most revolutionary and impacting in all of human history, with advancements happening faster and in larger bounds than at any other point. The advancement of art definitely needs some work, which I aspire to help with, but technology growth right now is asinine. No one can keep up with it, all one can hope to do is niche themselves into a sliver of a sliver of advancements and dedicate themselves to staying on top. And, all of it is being archived digitally. From every absurdly mundane tweet to guides on how to build your own Large Hadron Collider. We can build on each other's collective knowledge and experience, allowing progress to continue at neck-breaking speeds. I am constantly awed, year after year, as I see how far we continue to launch forward. I am also saddened to know I won't live long enough to see the culmination of it all. It will still be going strong in 60 years, and most likely won't reach the peak for another 100. All of this is merely speculation from my limited vantage and experiences, of course, but also all part of the mind-web progression for my 'epic sci-fi thingy' (ie, unnamed story I have been tossing around and poking every once in a while for 10 years). Erhm. ANYWAYS...

In terms of jobs... I have a bachelor's degree in fine art, minor in English writing. Even with a strong economy, jobs in the fine arts are nil unless you specialize (basically all museum, archeology, anthropology, history, teaching, and other areas where you study *other* people's stuff). You can imagine what I am looking at right now. I would love to try out set and prop design, but you need a foot in the industry for that job, like most stuff in entertainment. Bummer :/

So, I taught myself to properly cook about 5 years ago when I was vegan. I have a bit of a knack for cooking, apparently. After sloping sugared fat on sugared flour rectangles for wally world, I found myself cooking at a Waldorf Astoria resort. Most cooks either graduated from culinary school or have been cooking professionally for 15+ years. I think the chef liked the crabcakes I made for the interview. He also liked that I obviously just like to cook, regardless of lack of training.

It isn't perfect, and the pay is only a little better than Wally World. At the bottom of the chain, the work sucks too, very little *cooking* involved. I keep going back and forth about it. The life of a career cook is really the most realistic for my skill level. I might have a knack for *cooking* in a general sense, but I am slow, WAY too slow and meticulous for high volume and fast pace of professional kitchens. It is causing problems, and I am trying so hard to get better. But I can't do a job *wrong* in order to do it faster. That caused me trouble at wally world too. When people are being charged $30+ for $5 worth of fruit, it better look and taste PERFECT. My new manager recognizes and understands a bit better, and is putting me more on VIP orders and stuff that is high on presentation... but my lack of experience puts me last on the schedule, which has been hosing me for months now. But I don't know how the chefs feel about my 'improvement', and ultimately it is up to them where I go next. No idea if I should look for another department or just keep at it. I have been told flat out by the chefs I am not making as much progress as they expected me to, which seems bad. But I am still there, and there are plenty of culinary school graduates out there looking for work. There is no money in this job, just like there is little room for advancement. The cooks that have been there the longest are all still... cooks. The big chefs are all type-A personality go-getter people. I am definitely not one. All I see is a life as a line cook like the rest of the lifers there, and that isn't what I want. If I am going to cook AND be happy, I kinda have to be the boss, making recipes, menus, and calling shots. I understand the whole 'paying your dues' to get there, but I also can't help but wonder about all the lifers... Did they also start out like me, with grand ideas about cooking, making recipes and menus, and before they knew it they had spent 20 years as a kitchen cook to the younger chefs? Those kind of ideas scare me and make me not want to do this. The fact I am not advancing, and my progress is at a snails pace worries me that I will get caught in the same looping rut as everyone else. There are things I would rather do in life than this, it is just something I kind of have a knack for. But, there are also things I would be less happy doing as well. So it is middle of the road here, and I am at the same wishy washy place again.

I would rather be in an art studio. The last couple of years of college that I spent in studio were some of the happiest times in my life. I want to find the happy studio place again. Hence, why I am looking for a sponsor. No one wants to pay an unproven untrained extremely green art student to tinker with expensive equipment for weeks on end, hoping the desired results emerge. Cause that is what I do. I tinker, and magic happens. Except when it doesn't, then I wing it Exactly how i taught myself to cook too.

I guess that isn't anger as much as... *sigh* Frustration, maybe, but nothing I can be mad about. I was also told that the kitchen I am working in is on the the high end of difficulty. It is busier, bigger, and tougher than most other places, but I also will learn a ton really quickly. So there is that, slightly reassuring... maybe. I don't have anything else to compare it to, so I don't know if it is BS to just try to get me to chin-up.

Anywho, bedtime already. Gotta put the nose back on the grindstone and hope *magic* comes out...

Live 2 Ride
    Thanks for the support guys. One question. What do you put on those applications when you have been fired from every job you had had and your last job of 2 years gives bad references?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    I hate that this thread got all happy and off topic!! I hate that bikemaya just killed my bandwidth with all that crap he just spew'd above!!

mtbr member
    *she

And my post was thoroughly depressing, tyvm!

There, I made a smiley, you happy?

No, wait, I think I got that wrong...

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    *she

And my post was thoroughly depressing, tyvm!

There, I made a smiley, you happy?

No, wait, I think I got that wrong...

Maya is a very naughty girl......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    What do you put on those applications when you have been fired from every job you had had and your last job of 2 years gives bad references?
    Easy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

You know what I'm pissed about?

I'm pissed that because of my cancer treatment, heavy thinking takes longer for me to do. I'm sure it's a combination of permanent brain damage and "temporary" chemobrain that will (and has been) getting better over time, but I haven't been on chemotherapy now for 3 years and I'm still fighting it. Granted, I'd rather be where I am now than be in the complete fog I was in throughout most of 2009, but that doesn't change how frustrating it is.

My attention to detail suffers the most. I tend to be pretty meticulous and I used to notice the little things pretty quickly. Now, it can take me a very long time to notice them. This is probably the biggest factor in things taking longer to do now. I have a pretty deep fear that it's going to result in some really tough going once I hit the job market shortly.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Mmmm

Sounds to me that you should look for a job as a 2nd chef on a super Yacht, so you can learn to cook & work at a slower pace, Travel the world & see if you can get the insperation & contacts to do what you really want.

Hold onto your dreams & make sure they never get put on the back burner.

Start building the bridge to get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    27/f/Cali

Maya is a naughty monkey, but not THAT naughty, Monzie! :O!! I do like the cut of dem mountains dere, however. *swoons*

Trail Ninja, you should post that story in the O/C poop thread Just sayin'

Magura, just tell her, "If you love something, set it free!" I know I don't want to be caged in, so I would never expect my partner(s) to be either I know, I know, I am a *bit* too liberal for the times still. I keep telling people I was born too soon! I should have been born 200 years in the future, I think things will be more interesting then Then again, I also believe that this age is the gateway to what lies ahead; A short span of time that all of history will point to as being the most revolutionary and impacting in all of human history, with advancements happening faster and in larger bounds than at any other point. The advancement of art definitely needs some work, which I aspire to help with, but technology growth right now is asinine. No one can keep up with it, all one can hope to do is niche themselves into a sliver of a sliver of advancements and dedicate themselves to staying on top. And, all of it is being archived digitally. From every absurdly mundane tweet to guides on how to build your own Large Hadron Collider. We can build on each other's collective knowledge and experience, allowing progress to continue at neck-breaking speeds. I am constantly awed, year after year, as I see how far we continue to launch forward. I am also saddened to know I won't live long enough to see the culmination of it all. It will still be going strong in 60 years, and most likely won't reach the peak for another 100. All of this is merely speculation from my limited vantage and experiences, of course, but also all part of the mind-web progression for my 'epic sci-fi thingy' (ie, unnamed story I have been tossing around and poking every once in a while for 10 years). Erhm. ANYWAYS...

In terms of jobs... I have a bachelor's degree in fine art, minor in English writing. Even with a strong economy, jobs in the fine arts are nil unless you specialize (basically all museum, archeology, anthropology, history, teaching, and other areas where you study *other* people's stuff). You can imagine what I am looking at right now. I would love to try out set and prop design, but you need a foot in the industry for that job, like most stuff in entertainment. Bummer :/

So, I taught myself to properly cook about 5 years ago when I was vegan. I have a bit of a knack for cooking, apparently. After sloping sugared fat on sugared flour rectangles for wally world, I found myself cooking at a Waldorf Astoria resort. Most cooks either graduated from culinary school or have been cooking professionally for 15+ years. I think the chef liked the crabcakes I made for the interview. He also liked that I obviously just like to cook, regardless of lack of training.

It isn't perfect, and the pay is only a little better than Wally World. At the bottom of the chain, the work sucks too, very little *cooking* involved. I keep going back and forth about it. The life of a career cook is really the most realistic for my skill level. I might have a knack for *cooking* in a general sense, but I am slow, WAY too slow and meticulous for high volume and fast pace of professional kitchens. It is causing problems, and I am trying so hard to get better. But I can't do a job *wrong* in order to do it faster. That caused me trouble at wally world too. When people are being charged $30+ for $5 worth of fruit, it better look and taste PERFECT. My new manager recognizes and understands a bit better, and is putting me more on VIP orders and stuff that is high on presentation... but my lack of experience puts me last on the schedule, which has been hosing me for months now. But I don't know how the chefs feel about my 'improvement', and ultimately it is up to them where I go next. No idea if I should look for another department or just keep at it. I have been told flat out by the chefs I am not making as much progress as they expected me to, which seems bad. But I am still there, and there are plenty of culinary school graduates out there looking for work. There is no money in this job, just like there is little room for advancement. The cooks that have been there the longest are all still... cooks. The big chefs are all type-A personality go-getter people. I am definitely not one. All I see is a life as a line cook like the rest of the lifers there, and that isn't what I want. If I am going to cook AND be happy, I kinda have to be the boss, making recipes, menus, and calling shots. I understand the whole 'paying your dues' to get there, but I also can't help but wonder about all the lifers... Did they also start out like me, with grand ideas about cooking, making recipes and menus, and before they knew it they had spent 20 years as a kitchen cook to the younger chefs? Those kind of ideas scare me and make me not want to do this. The fact I am not advancing, and my progress is at a snails pace worries me that I will get caught in the same looping rut as everyone else. There are things I would rather do in life than this, it is just something I kind of have a knack for. But, there are also things I would be less happy doing as well. So it is middle of the road here, and I am at the same wishy washy place again.

I would rather be in an art studio. The last couple of years of college that I spent in studio were some of the happiest times in my life. I want to find the happy studio place again. Hence, why I am looking for a sponsor. No one wants to pay an unproven untrained extremely green art student to tinker with expensive equipment for weeks on end, hoping the desired results emerge. Cause that is what I do. I tinker, and magic happens. Except when it doesn't, then I wing it Exactly how i taught myself to cook too.

I guess that isn't anger as much as... *sigh* Frustration, maybe, but nothing I can be mad about. I was also told that the kitchen I am working in is on the the high end of difficulty. It is busier, bigger, and tougher than most other places, but I also will learn a ton really quickly. So there is that, slightly reassuring... maybe. I don't have anything else to compare it to, so I don't know if it is BS to just try to get me to chin-up.

Anywho, bedtime already. Gotta put the nose back on the grindstone and hope *magic* comes out...

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    You know what I'm pissed about?

I'm pissed that because of my cancer treatment, heavy thinking takes longer for me to do. I'm sure it's a combination of permanent brain damage and "temporary" chemobrain that will (and has been) getting better over time, but I haven't been on chemotherapy now for 3 years and I'm still fighting it. Granted, I'd rather be where I am now than be in the complete fog I was in throughout most of 2009, but that doesn't change how frustrating it is.

My attention to detail suffers the most. I tend to be pretty meticulous and I used to notice the little things pretty quickly. Now, it can take me a very long time to notice them. This is probably the biggest factor in things taking longer to do now. I have a pretty deep fear that it's going to result in some really tough going once I hit the job market shortly.
    Thanks a lot!

Now I'm depressed. I figured I'd be over chemo-brain in a few months or a year or so. I had to shut down my main source of income (web programming) because of chemo-brain.

I'm not really pissed.
    I have no job, no money, no prospects, no house, no possesions, no friends....

... no responsibilities, no mortgage, no debt, no financial requirements, no social requirements, no cares.

I have a mountain bike and lots of time to ride it. You can't piss me off!!
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I build my own.
    Maya, do you want me to put you in touch with my sister? She does what you want to do, although she's not a chef. She travels the world for free, (actually gets paid for it) has all kinds of spare time to explore and has free reign to practise her art as she goes.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast