Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 95
  1. #1
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373

    Cool-blue Rhythm Gas Gauge Symbols....

    I had a doubter or two of my recent claim in another thread. So I'm starting this thread in hopes of putting any doubts to rest and to inform those that had no idea of this for future gas encounters.

    I mentioned that it is a standard in the auto industry to place a symbol on our gas gauges to let us know what side of the vehicle the "gas cap" is on. To avoid confusion while pulling up to the pumps.

    There is a couple symbols and arrows or combination of / that they use.

    1] Most common is just a symbol of a gas pump "handle". If this is used the handle points towards the side the cap is on.

    2] Another is a symbol of a gas pump. If this is used whatever side the handle is pointing indicates the side of the gas cap.

    3] Another way is just an arrow which faces
    towards the side of the cap.

    4] And another is a combination of a gas pump or
    gas pump handle with the arrow also.

    Keep in mind that what side the symbols are on in
    the gauge has nothing to do with it. They could
    place the symbols anywhere on the gauge.

    So please check all the vehicles at your disposal and report back with your findings. And add in year make and model that way we can determine how much of a standard it is across the board and what year it was enacted.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  2. #2
    Hi There!
    Reputation: thegweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    711
    2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner-has the words FUEL DOOR with an arrow pointing.
    2014 Subaru Outback-picture of a gas pump with an arrow.
    Last edited by thegweed; 11-11-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    NTFTC

  3. #3
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,676
    2007 Subaru Outback - picture of a gas pump with an arrow pointing right

    2000 Dodge Dakota - The words FUEL DOOR with an arrow pointing left
    No moss...

  4. #4
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,092

    Gas Gauge Symbols....

    DJ-you are full of interesting knowledge. I've never noticed that arrow before.


  5. #5
    I'm your density
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,352
    2005 Ford Excursion v10 has this:

    <| $$$$$$$$$$$
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,443
    Had an '04 Subaru STI with the arrow printed to the side of the gas cap..

    '02 Mazda Progete5 with no the arrow and handle is on opposite side of gas cap.

    '04 Honda Element with no arrow and handle on opposite side of gas cap

  7. #7
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Had an '04 Subaru STI with the arrow printed to the side of the gas cap..

    '02 Mazda Progete5 with no the arrow and handle is on opposite side of gas cap.

    '04 Honda Element with no arrow and handle on opposite side of gas cap
    Remember whatever side the hose is coming out of the pump is the side the tank is on. Or if it's just the handle symbol the handle points towards the side the gas cap is on.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  8. #8
    duh
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,826
    What happens if you have an old car that has the cap under the license plate. Where does it point then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

  9. #9
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    What happens if you have an old car that has the cap under the license plate. Where does it point then?
    It doesn't matter where you pull up to the pump because you can fuel from either side. This design in my eyes has alway's been the best. But the reason they got away from it is due to the higher safety standards of today. Those old cars with that design have a higher chance of blowing up or catching fire being hit from behind.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  10. #10
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    What happens if you have an old car that has the cap under the license plate. Where does it point then?
    Ha yes! I once rented a Jeep in Hawaii, and first time I went to get gas, I spent ages looking for the tank. It was behind the license plate. Luckily another owner cam by and pointed it out to me... stoopid tourist!
    It's all Here. Now.

  11. #11
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Ha yes! I once rented a Jeep in Hawaii, and first time I went to get gas, I spent ages looking for the tank. It was behind the license plate. Luckily another owner cam by and pointed it out to me... stoopid tourist!
    And like I said above it doesn't matter with that design where you pull up to the pump. And RC with all your traveling and renting different cars all the time this information should help you out the most.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  12. #12
    duh
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,826
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It doesn't matter where you pull up to the pump because you can fuel from either side. This design in my eyes has alway's been the best. But the reason they got away from it is due to the higher safety standards of today. Those old cars with that design have a higher chance of blowing up or catching fire being hit from behind.
    aww that would make the accident so much cooler with an explosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

  13. #13
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    aww that would make the accident so much cooler with an explosion.
    Yes nothing like the boring cars of today.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  14. #14
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    And like I said above it doesn't matter with that design where you pull up to the pump. And RC with all your traveling and renting different cars all the time this information should help you out the most.
    I cannot deny this is a help DJ! Now if I could only find my reading glasses and put them on as I pull into the gas station, I'll be OK
    It's all Here. Now.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wishful Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,083
    2002 Suby Outback: Fuel Door >

    Extra credit to DJ for spelling it "gauge" instead of the seemingly prevalent "gage"

  16. #16
    help with the zip please
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,026
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Had an '04 Subaru STI with the arrow printed to the side of the gas cap..

    '02 Mazda Progete5 with no the arrow and handle is on opposite side of gas cap.

    '04 Honda Element with no arrow and handle on opposite side of gas cap
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Remember whatever side the hose is coming out of the pump is the side the tank is on. Or if it's just the handle symbol the handle points towards the side the gas cap is on.
    If I may clarify what DJ is saying here, it's not the direction the spout of the handle points but the direction the handle points, is that correct DJ?

  17. #17
    help with the zip please
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,026
    well this guy is stuffed.

    Name:  P18526.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  23.1 KB

  18. #18
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    2002 Suby Outback: Fuel Door >

    Extra credit to DJ for spelling it "gauge" instead of the seemingly prevalent "gage"
    Thank's but don't gauge my character on this alone.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,443
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  7.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Remember whatever side the hose is coming out of the pump is the side the tank is on. Or if it's just the handle symbol the handle points towards the side the gas cap is on.
    Both my cars have the symbol like this, with the hose on the right side of the pump, yet the gas cap is on the driver's side (left).

  20. #20
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    well this guy is stuffed.

    Name:  P18526.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  23.1 KB
    That is an aftermarket gauge Mr. and not a factory installed version. I would suggest getting YO ass to the petro station pronto though.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  21. #21
    Hi There!
    Reputation: thegweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  7.8 KB

    Both my cars have the symbol like this, with the hose on the right side of the pump, yet the gas cap is on the driver's side (left).
    Chaosmonger!!!
    NTFTC

  22. #22
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    If I may clarify what DJ is saying here, it's not the direction the spout of the handle points but the direction the handle points, is that correct DJ?
    Yes, I said it wrong the handle points to the side the gas cap is on.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  23. #23
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  7.8 KB

    Both my cars have the symbol like this, with the hose on the right side of the pump, yet the gas cap is on the driver's side (left).
    Sorry for the confusion what I meant was the direction the handle is pointing in is the side the gas cap is on. So your symbols are correct pointing to the drivers side.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  24. #24
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,028

    Re: Gas Gauge Symbols....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    2002 Suby Outback: Fuel Door >

    Extra credit to DJ for spelling it "gauge" instead of the seemingly prevalent "gage"
    Either is commonly accepted. Kind of like gasses and gases. Free dictionary.com among others show gage as a device that measures quantity.

    No idea in the world if my truck has any sort of gas cap location indicator. If all the pumps are taken that my truck would normally pull up to I simply use the other ones and stretch those across the bed, problem solved.

  25. #25
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    18,373
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Either is commonly accepted. Kind of like gasses and gases. Free dictionary.com among others show gage as a device that measures quantity.

    No idea in the world if my truck has any sort of gas cap location indicator. If all the pumps are taken that my truck would normally pull up to I simply use the other ones and stretch those across the bed, problem solved.
    So your one of those guy's.
    Those people are usually 16 year old girls clueless on what side to pull up to.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pump and Gauge
    By Midtown in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
  2. Letter-Number symbols on cannondale hollowgram
    By Cro0lick in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
  3. Sag Gauge - Universal?
    By phlegm in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
  4. Joe Blow Pro Gauge Fix?
    By anchskier in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 05:51 AM
  5. Franken-gauge
    By VT Mike in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •