Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gotta pay to play

No good Froome. Doping or clean?

Froome: I?m Not Cheating, End Of Story - BikeRadar

Been a rather interesting Tour so far. I want to believe that he is clean but he has like 4 minutes lead on everyone else.

Do you think he is doping?

sympathy for society
    I'll just go on a limb here and say YES. Mearly an opinion though.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

AZ
    banned
    Froomestrong?

mtbr member
    He is as clean as all the rest of them.

I didn't do it
    Since he can climb with apparently little effort compared to the other guys I say he must be doping. Look at Contador, now that he might be off the dope after his ban, can't even begin to keep up despite his past ability as a climber.

AZ
    banned
    We'll find out in 10 years.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    He's as clean as a Jamaican sprinter...

or any sprinter for that matter!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    He's as clean as a Jamaican sprinter...

or any sprinter for that matter!
    Tyson Gay for one.

High Desert MTBer
    Just the fact that so much speculation is rife on the subject invalidates any validity of the TDF... does that make sense? The whole thing has become rather pointless when nobody thinks anyone is racing clean any more.
    I do NOT wish to spark a debate about whether doping should be allowed/disallowed, or whether so and so is clean or not, or whether you subscribe to the notion that 'everyone is doing it so they should too', I am merely pointing out that the whole thing is f**ked...

Back to MTB!
    It's all Here. Now.

I didn't do it
    The way things are going, there may not be an official winner for decades.

King of Middle Earth
    Of course he's doping. Everyone dopes.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Just the fact that so much speculation is rife on the subject invalidates any validity of the TDF... does that make sense? The whole thing has become rather pointless when nobody thinks anyone is racing clean any more.
    I do NOT wish to spark a debate about whether doping should be allowed/disallowed, or whether so and so is clean or not, or whether you subscribe to the notion that 'everyone is doing it so they should too', I am merely pointing out that the whole thing is f**ked...

Back to MTB!
    Couldn't agree more. The whole thing seems pointless now. Time for a new challenge. Maybe a tour of Europe? Spend three weeks riding all over Europe. A tour of Arizona in July? That sounds challenging. Good luck with hydration. No stage starts until 230 and at least one day of the week you have to eat a big juicy burger at the start line. I mean, c'mon, I'm not entertained. Let them ride with the bulls in Spain for one stage or something. Wouldn't see many carbon bikes on that day.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    He is as clean as all the rest of them.
    ^this. whatever the case he is a beast. his stage yesterday was unreal.

What could go wrong ...
    do they even still have the TDF? who cares, its just dopers on sniffer bikes
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    do they even still have the TDF? who cares, its just dopers on sniffer bikes
    What's a sniffer bike?

King of Middle Earth
    It's getting to the point to where if you eat a healthy breakfast loaded with "natural" vitamins and minerals on the morning of a race day, you're a doper. Ridiculous!!!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    It's getting to the point to where if you eat a healthy breakfast loaded with "natural" vitamins and minerals on the morning of a race day, you're a doper. Ridiculous!!!
    Pretty sure the TDF is on more then "a healthy breakfast"

Its still fun to watch either way

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Pretty sure the TDF is on more then "a healthy breakfast"

Its still fun to watch either way
    Has now reached the point of what air you are breathing?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Since he can climb with apparently little effort compared to the other guys I say he must be doping. Look at Contador, now that he might be off the dope after his ban, can't even begin to keep up despite his past ability as a climber.
    I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Until evidence comes up that says otherwise, I'll believe that he's clean. Same with the other guys who have no proven doping past.

And the GC competition simply isn't as strong as it has been at other times. Contador is just getting back into racing after spending some time off for his suspension, Andy Schleck is just getting back into racing after spending over a year recovering from that fractured sacrum. It takes time in races to get back into race form. Contador was planning to peak for the third week of this Tour, which is coming up. He's said that Froome tends to hit a wall of fatigue in the third week of grand tours, which is plenty understandable. It'll be an interesting last week of the Tour.

This is Quintana's first Tour as a pro -- I wouldn't expect him to have the experience necessary to do very well. Even so, he attacked yesterday and stayed away for a while before Froome dropped him with 2km to go. Is a 2km attack really all that difficult? That's just about 1.2 miles. Apart from the final 20km, yesterday's stage was mostly flat and small, rolling hills. And let's not forget that Froome's domestiques did a crapload of work for Froome before he even took off on Ventoux.

Anyways, I'm not too interested in the GC competition. I'm more interested in keeping an eye on the competition for the green jersey.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Until evidence comes up that says otherwise, I'll believe that he's clean. Same with the other guys who have no proven doping past.

And the GC competition simply isn't as strong as it has been at other times. Contador is just getting back into racing after spending some time off for his suspension, Andy Schleck is just getting back into racing after spending over a year recovering from that fractured sacrum. It takes time in races to get back into race form. Contador was planning to peak for the third week of this Tour, which is coming up. He's said that Froome tends to hit a wall of fatigue in the third week of grand tours, which is plenty understandable. It'll be an interesting last week of the Tour.

This is Quintana's first Tour as a pro -- I wouldn't expect him to have the experience necessary to do very well. Even so, he attacked yesterday and stayed away for a while before Froome dropped him with 2km to go. Is a 2km attack really all that difficult? That's just about 1.2 miles. Apart from the final 20km, yesterday's stage was mostly flat and small, rolling hills. And let's not forget that Froome's domestiques did a crapload of work for Froome before he even took off on Ventoux.

Anyways, I'm not too interested in the GC competition. I'm more interested in keeping an eye on the competition for the green jersey.

The third fastest ascent ever of the climb that put Froome in yellow is pretty strong. That's some rare air when your time is only bettered by acknowledged dopers.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    The third fastest ascent ever of the climb that put Froome in yellow is pretty strong. That's some rare air when your time is only bettered by acknowledged dopers.
    There can also be very heavy winds (sometimes up to 50 MPH) near the summit of Ventoux. I'd expect the wind to have been mentioned if it was a big factor yesterday, but it's also possible that the wind has hindered riders near the summit in the past.

Edit: From Wikipedia: "The wind blows at 56 MPH 240 days per year."

Froome also admitted that he took a few minutes of oxygen after the stage yesterday. That climb wasn't without some serious effort.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Of course he's doping. Everyone dopes.
    Yup. Pretty simple. They are all clean until caught.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Maybe it wasn't drugs but a heavy fishing line attached to a car and his bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Maybe it wasn't drugs but a heavy fishing line attached to a car and his bike.
    It doesn't have to be that heavy a line.

mtbr member
    I will be the minority here and take the heat. After watching the last several TDF's stage by stage, It is my opinion that doping is less prevalent in this years tour. The riders ability and endurance has taken a serious hit in my opinion. Sky for example....last year that team was unstoppable and very hard to fracture. This year they have had a very hard time staying together to lead/protect Froome and he has been left on his own in no less than three stages. The climbers.....Valverde, Contador, Anton, and to some extent Tommy Voeckler are nowhere near their usual capacities. Quintana is simply an unbelievable new talent who can attack again and again on the climbs. We should all be keeping our eyes on him in the future.
    For the record....I don't even own a road bike. Just a fan of Pro cycling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast