w/ flash

El Gato Malo
    w/o flash probably tastes better

mtbr member
    And I made this... before dinner.

Arn't i special ? and... No, I don't mean Tones "special"... either,

Binned
    Nov 2008
    ^Did you use PowerPro braided line to stitch it?

Both kinds of fish tacos are just fabulous.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Thanks a lot FB I know you peeked into the burrito thread and saw how I've been craving fish tacos since my move from fish taco capital of the u.s.a. San Diego.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thanks a lot FB I know you peeked into the burrito thread and saw how I've been craving fish tacos since my move from fish taco capital of the u.s.a. San Diego.
    I thought the fish tacos capital of the USA was in and around the fish markets of Ensenada? That's where I've had the best...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    capital of the USA was Ensenada? .
    Ensenada, Ca. ???

who knew...

mtbr member
    I did find this place..

Tacos Baja Ensenada
    4.5 star rating447 reviews Rating Details
    Category: Mexican
    5385 Whittier Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90022
    (323) 887-1980

Looks to still be in Mexico...

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Ensenada, Ca. ???

who knew...
    Yeah, you never been there??? You head South, and you keep going, and going, and going...

The always say a strange word to me when i say something to them. They reply, "Que?"

I thought the fish tacos capital of the USA was in and around the fish markets of Ensenada? That's where I've had the best...
    I said the U.S.A. not Mexico. But you hit on the key to why San Diego is the fish taco Capitol of the U.S.A.
    The fresh fisheries in Ensenada and the rich in tradition fish taco recipes started there. Ensenada is only an hour and a half 85 miles from San Diego. All the Southern California surfers for decades have made the trip down from San Diego to all the famous surf breaks between San Diego and Ensenada. One of those surfers took the famous Mexican fish taco recipes and brought it back to the states. He opened up his first fish taco
    shop in San Diego in 1983'. He named it Rubios. I first ate at the original one in 87'. It has since became a large chain.

The rest is history fish tacos over the years have
    spread throughout the country. But nothing beats
    how Rubios makes them. Unless you go down to
    Mexico. I've done many Mexico trips driving from
    San Diego to Ensenada, Rosarito, Port of Neuevo.
    All killer fish tacos and fresh Lobster carne asada
    and Margaritas. YUM!
    See Rubios history here. Mexican Food Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company Information
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dang, even the avocados are grilled.

Ride More, Work Less
    The grilled avocados look amazing.

:cool::thumbsup: Oh and by the way awesome job FishBucket. :p <<<< that's me drooling.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I said the U.S.A. not Mexico. But you hit on the key to why San Diego is the fish taco Capitol of the U.S.A.
    The fresh fisheries in Ensenada and the rich in tradition fish taco recipes started there. Ensenada is only an hour and a half 85 miles from San Diego. All the Southern California surfers for decades have made the trip down from San Diego to all the famous surf breaks between San Diego and Ensenada. One of those surfers took the famous Mexican fish taco recipes and brought it back to the states. He opened up his first fish taco
    shop in San Diego in 1983'. He named it Rubios. I first ate at the original one in 87'. It has since became a large chain.

The rest is history fish tacos over the years have
    spread throughout the country. But nothing beats
    how Rubios makes them. Unless you go down to
    Mexico. I've done many Mexico trips driving from
    San Diego to Ensenada, Rosarito, Port of Neuevo.
    All killer fish tacos and fresh Lobster carne asada
    and Margaritas. YUM!
    See Rubios history here. Mexican Food Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company Information
    Ah-haaaa! You figured it out. That's why I posted the BAJA California thing because I knew the roots of San Diego's greatness came from there.

Ah-haaaa! You figured it out. That's why I posted the BAJA California thing because I knew the roots of San Diego's greatness came from there.
    Unfortunately those that haven't experienced it think we're just blowing hot air.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Unfortunately those that haven't experienced it think we're just blowing hot air.
    True, but I have to think that lots of members here may not have ever even had a fish taco, much less been to San Diego.

gobsmacked Moderator

Fish Tacos !

Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    w/o flash probably tastes better
    Lol.

Updated version:

Fish Tacos !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383360049.543405.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Lol.

Updated version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383360049.543405.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	843679
    Is that Menudo in the soup cup ??

The Boat or The Bike?
    I'm for the W/O Flash taco's and another vote for the grilled avacado's!

Looks amazing...

Now I'm gone...
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Best ones I've had were from some coastal Mexico trips.

Then, making our own. Not all gussied up. A little cabbage, maybe some pico, sometimes a little lime.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Jan 2013
    20+ years ago we used to drive south to surf Roserita. The waves were great, there was NO one to compete with for waves, and the fish tacos were to die for.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk a drive into Baja these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    20+ years ago we used to drive south to surf Roserita. The waves were great, there was NO one to compete with for waves, and the fish tacos were to die for.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk a drive into Baja these days.

Yep same here as I mentioned earlier we made many trips in to Rosarito and Port of Neuevo. Two
    coastal towns in between San Diego and Ensenada.
    Sounds like you and I were hitting it up around the
    same time. All goodies and all fresh caught fiish
    tacos, Lobster, carne asada and margaritas or cervesa [beer]. And everything costs next to nothing. Those two small coastal surf / sea food towns were full of American tourists back then. Mainly young twenty something crowd just down there to party and eat the amazing food.

We are lucky to have experienced those care free times down there. As you said going down there these day's your risking your life. My brother still makes a annual yearly trip down to the Sea of Cortez to go wind surfing. He' s been doing it for 15 years. He seems to think if you travel in a group and stay to yourselves you'll be fine. I've argued with him every year but he keeps going. Scary place for Americans these days.

9 lives

I'd have to eat it without the fish.. but that looks tres yummy.
    I never thought to grill avocado... mmm have to try that
    and I do love hot sauce
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

meow meow
    mtbr the new instagram?

Afric Pepperbird
    Corn? No thanks

Jimmy crapped corn, and I don't care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep same here as I mentioned earlier we made many trips in to Rosarito and Port of Neuevo. Two
    coastal towns in between San Diego and Ensenada.
    Sounds like you and I were hitting it up around the
    same time. All goodies and all fresh caught fiish
    tacos, Lobster, carne asada and margaritas or cervesa [beer]. And everything costs next to nothing. Those two small coastal surf / sea food towns were full of American tourists back then. Mainly young twenty something crowd just down there to party and eat the amazing food.

We are lucky to have experienced those care free times down there. As you said going down there these day's your risking your life. My brother still makes a annual yearly trip down to the Sea of Cortez to go wind surfing. He' s been doing it for 15 years. He seems to think if you travel in a group and stay to yourselves you'll be fine. I've argued with him every year but he keeps going. Scary place for Americans these days.
    Ok now you guys are bringing back some great memories. We used to drive down for lobster and to party. Rosarito had Papas and Beer right on the beach where those drunk girls would ride that bull and Ensenada had Papas, Hussongs, Bananas and others. I remember a few times partying with the crowd off of a cruise ship. Even crashed out in the back of a pickup on the beach a couple of times. Wouldn't try that now though.

since 4/10/2009

Fish Tacos !

What is the best fish to use in fish tacos? Fried or grilled?

I haven't been lucky enough to get fish tacos in san diego. The closest I've eaten fish tacos is Sausalito, CA. Very yummy.

I has good ones at a little joint in Houston, TX, too. So far, most of the ones I find elsewhere use tilapia, which is a nonnative fish commonly farmed in the southeast. Gross fish, IMO. I won't touch it.

I think I would give an edge to grilled fish, something with a light flavor (not a strong fishy smell/flavor like tilapia). In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I prefer fried to grilled for texture, but I haven't had that baja fresh fish, which most folks would never consider frying. I'm pretty sure baja sets the standard for the fish taco. As for fish, Halibut is terrific, but probably too expensive in most places. In Oregon, we use rockfish, which are the bass of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I prefer fried to grilled for texture, but I haven't had that baja fresh fish, which most folks would never consider frying. I'm pretty sure baja sets the standard for the fish taco. As for fish, Halibut is terrific, but probably too expensive in most places. In Oregon, we use rockfish, which are the bass of the ocean.
    Yeah Halibut is a good one.
    But the best is Mai Mai & Sword Fish
    Both are used in traditional Mexican Baja fish tacos, and best if grilled.

If anyone that hasn't been to San Diego and if you ever make your way. The best fish taco in town is made at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach. Located on the very end of Newport ave. on the beach near the pier.
    South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

They have an assortment of different kinds of fish fresh caught daily. You nake the kind you want for your tacos and they grill it up. All in the Mexican
    Baja traditional recipes.

And if you can't make it to San Diego but make it in to California. The best chain for fish tacos is
    Rubios. As I mentioned earlier they are the creator
    and founder of the original fish taco brought over
    from Mexico to the states. Originated in San Diego
    in 1983' By a guy who made many surfing trips
    into Mexico. I told the story further up this thread
    with a link to the history. Anyway that chain is all
    over California and is amazing.

Rubios menu >> Best Fish Tacos | Mexican Restaurants | Rubio's

And Rubios history >>> Mexican Food
    Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company
    Information

He opened the first one in San Diego in 83' and I
    ate at the original one in 87'. And it has since grown in to a huge chain. But Ralph Rubio is a very nice down to earth guy even after hitting it big. I met him several times while I lived in San Diego. He makes his rounds from his many restaurants that he has there. And he gets down and works behind the counter just like a regular employee. He sold the business about three years ago but still works as an employee in some of them. Luckily new ownership kept all original recipes and Ralph Rubio still has his hands in any new recipe creations.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    What is the best fish to use in fish tacos? Fried or grilled?

I haven't been lucky enough to get fish tacos in san diego. The closest I've eaten fish tacos is Sausalito, CA. Very yummy.

I has good ones at a little joint in Houston, TX, too. So far, most of the ones I find elsewhere use tilapia, which is a nonnative fish commonly farmed in the southeast. Gross fish, IMO. I won't touch it.

I think I would give an edge to grilled fish, something with a light flavor (not a strong fishy smell/flavor like tilapia). In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.
    Nate, there really isn't a best fish for fish tacos. Whatever you prefer is going to be great. Personally, I like white, flakey fish meat (grilled or fried) but that's just me.

I agree on the Tilapia thing. Those things are grown in horrendous conditions. Yuck!!!

mtbr member
    Any White Flake fish , Like cod, seabass, rockfish... I dont eat freshwater bass. When I did as a kid it was kinda oily. It wight work.. sturgeon, white fish, walleye, perch. should work well.

Grilled or fried take your pick.
    If I fry, I'll add onion, garlic, shallots, peppers, red/yellow right into the pan and make a fish crumble.

Grilled get spiced up and then flaked to chunks when done. then use chopped tomato, corn, chopped onion, and homemade red cabbage slaw... bigger chunks in the Taco.

Sky is the limit on what you want. Experiment, and let us know how the black bass comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    Ok now you guys are bringing back some great memories. We used to drive down for lobster and to party. Rosarito had Papas and Beer right on the beach where those drunk girls would ride that bull and Ensenada had Papas, Hussongs, Bananas and others. I remember a few times partying with the crowd off of a cruise
    ship. Even crashed out in the back of a pickup on
    the beach a couple of times. Wouldn't try that now
    though.
    Yep all those places I've had great times at. There is also calafia an even smaller surf town before Rosarito amd Port of Nuevo. And the mechanical bull in Ensenada that thing will kick your butt after a day of tequila shots. It's hilarious all the hot drunk American girls have to try it. And after one ride the next day they can't even move. It torques every muscle in your body.

Another great place we used to go was San Felipe. For several years we'd make an annual trip down. We'd bring dirt bikes and hit the sand dunes just outside of town. Then the town is right on the water. And there's like a boardwalk with numerous Cantina's to eat fresh fish and lobster. There is also a place down there with a mechanical bull outside. A giant arena where everyone gathers and cheers on the next victim. Ha,ha good times in Mexico and we're lucky to have experienced it when it was carefree.

Talking of San Felipe it's farther down but a was a huge American tourism destination as is the others. But because it is farther down the main crowd it gets are desert toy enthusiasts and water toy. So you have every off road vehicle under the sun running around. And you can drive them on the streets without beimg hassled. So all the Americans are running around from bar to bar on dirt bikes,quads,3-wheelers,dune buggies and off road trucks. The roads are dirt and sand. And the surrounding dunes have huge quantities of the giant saora cactus. You know the ones that stand 30' tall or more. Awesome place and one big party.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member

If anyone that hasn't been to San Diego and if you ever make your way. The best fish taco in town is made at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach. Located on the very end of Newport ave. on the beach near the pier.
    South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

They have an assortment of different kinds of fish fresh caught daily. You nake the kind you want for your tacos and they grill it up. All in the Mexican
    Baja traditional recipes.

And if you can't make it to San Diego but make it in to California. The best chain for fish tacos is
    Rubios. As I mentioned earlier they are the creator
    and founder of the original fish taco brought over
    from Mexico to the states. Originated in San Diego
    in 1983' By a guy who made many surfing trips
    into Mexico. I told the story further up this thread
    with a link to the history. Anyway that chain is all
    over California and is amazing.
    I certainly am not a San Diego fish Taco expert but the grilled swordfish tacos at the Brigantine over by the Del Mar race track are pretty damn awesome, and a great deal during happy hour!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Here's something funny and related. My friend who goes by "007" here recently moved to NV. He got spoiled by the excellent Mexican Food in So Cal and can't seem to find anything out there that is nearly as good. He even started a thread to ask the locals.

OT: Las Vegas Mexican food

banned
    Sep 2010
    I make fish tacos out of hickory wood smoke grilled salmon. All who taste them unanimously proclaim them The Best.

banned
    Blue Water Grill on India St. in San Diego makes great fish tacos.

One interesting fish you can use from local waters is sculpin. Their flesh is tinted blue until you cook it. Another good one is rock cod.

If you want to try a beer batter with a totally different twist, try Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra (stout with curry, cayenne & cumin). I have not tried this but it's on my to-do list as I hear it tastes as awesome as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I certainly am not a San Diego fish Taco expert but the grilled swordfish tacos at the Brigantine over by the Del Mar race track are pretty damn awesome, and a great deal during happy hour!
    Hey funny you mentioned that I almost did. The Brigantine makes killer fish taco's. I used to frequent the one in La Mesa and Poway and occasionally the Del mar one. And as you know the hot sauce they have really add's to them. And they have happy hour and you can get a great deal during that time. Definitely in my top 5 best fish taco places in San Diego.

Here's something funny and related. My friend who goes by "007" here recently moved to NV. He got spoiled by the excellent Mexican Food in So Cal and can't seem to find anything out there that is nearly as good. He even started a thread to ask the locals.

OT: Las Vegas Mexican food

Hey I don't blame him I'm about to do the same in my local Colorado forum. But I know they won't be able to deliver what I'm used to coming from SD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I make fish tacos out of hickory wood smoke grilled salmon. All who taste them unanimously proclaim them The Best.
    I'll be the judge of that !

pm'ing you my address now.

banned
    Sep 2010

Hey I don't blame him I'm about to do the same in my local Colorado forum. But I know they won't be able to deliver what I'm used to coming from SD.
    Hey when you were in' Dago did you ever try a place called Tommy's Tex-Mex on Voltaire, near OB?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Bear Flag Fish Co. here in Newport Beach is my current go to. Especially being just a stones throw away from my house.

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Corn? No thanks

Jimmy crapped corn, and I don't care.
    What's wrong with you? Are you not human? Corn is the greatest thing on this planet..(well, kind of)

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.
    Bleck~!~ Freshwater bass are gross... I have never had a "fish taco" (no pun intended), but I would only prefer something from the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Any White Flake fish , Like cod, seabass, rockfish... I dont eat freshwater bass. When I did as a kid it was kinda oily. It wight work.. sturgeon, white fish, walleye, perch. should work well.

Grilled or fried take your pick.
    If I fry, I'll add onion, garlic, shallots, peppers, red/yellow right into the pan and make a fish crumble.

Grilled get spiced up and then flaked to chunks when done. then use chopped tomato, corn, chopped onion, and homemade red cabbage slaw... bigger chunks in the Taco.

Sky is the limit on what you want. Experiment, and let us know how the black bass comes out.
    Well damn,.. This sounds awesome!! I don't eat much fish at all, but where would one suggest to get a fish taco in the Washington D.C. area? I am willing to try it if it's made like this..
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Weird huh?
    Hickory with salmon is under rated. I shall try this again soon. Most folks think hickory is only good for pig/beef. Strong oily fish like salmon does fabulous with hickory. Hickory. That is all...hickory. My mouth is watering.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Bear Flag Fish Co. here in Newport Beach is my current go to. Especially being just a stones throw away from my house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	844443
    That's Sriracha on them ISN'T IT! ADMIT IT!
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    That's Sriracha on them ISN'T IT! ADMIT IT!
    Haha, I thought the exact same thing when I grabbed that pic. Not my pic and I don't put sriracha on my fish tacos. Pho is a different story though!

They have a ton of different hot sauces in a corner but I stick with standard mexi style sauces.

mtbr member

You can"t really match the Baja style Mexican food they have in San Diego here in CO. The Mexican food here has more influence from Chihuahua and Sonora. What you will find in CO is awesome Green Chili like I could never find in CA or AZ.

Hey when you were in' Dago did you ever try a place called Tommy's Tex-Mex on Voltaire, near OB?
    Sounds familiar but I don't think I've been to that one. Probably drove by that's why the name sound's familiar.

check your six
    Hello!?!?! Any help for an East Coaster? Where does one get something like this?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    would one suggest to get a fish taco in the Washington D.C. area? .

Best Fish Tacos in DC area

Enjoy !

Good Luck !

check your six
    Well damn that Google... hmph.... haha... THx!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast