w/ flash

El Gato Malo
    w/o flash probably tastes better

mtbr member
    And I made this... before dinner.

Arn't i special ? and... No, I don't mean Tones "special"... either,

Binned
    Nov 2008
    ^Did you use PowerPro braided line to stitch it?

Both kinds of fish tacos are just fabulous.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Thanks a lot FB I know you peeked into the burrito thread and saw how I've been craving fish tacos since my move from fish taco capital of the u.s.a. San Diego.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thanks a lot FB I know you peeked into the burrito thread and saw how I've been craving fish tacos since my move from fish taco capital of the u.s.a. San Diego.
    I thought the fish tacos capital of the USA was in and around the fish markets of Ensenada? That's where I've had the best...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    capital of the USA was Ensenada? .
    Ensenada, Ca. ???

who knew...

mtbr member
    I did find this place..

Tacos Baja Ensenada
    4.5 star rating447 reviews Rating Details
    Category: Mexican
    5385 Whittier Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90022
    (323) 887-1980

Looks to still be in Mexico...

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Ensenada, Ca. ???

who knew...
    Yeah, you never been there??? You head South, and you keep going, and going, and going...

The always say a strange word to me when i say something to them. They reply, "Que?"

I thought the fish tacos capital of the USA was in and around the fish markets of Ensenada? That's where I've had the best...
    I said the U.S.A. not Mexico. But you hit on the key to why San Diego is the fish taco Capitol of the U.S.A.
    The fresh fisheries in Ensenada and the rich in tradition fish taco recipes started there. Ensenada is only an hour and a half 85 miles from San Diego. All the Southern California surfers for decades have made the trip down from San Diego to all the famous surf breaks between San Diego and Ensenada. One of those surfers took the famous Mexican fish taco recipes and brought it back to the states. He opened up his first fish taco
    shop in San Diego in 1983'. He named it Rubios. I first ate at the original one in 87'. It has since became a large chain.

The rest is history fish tacos over the years have
    spread throughout the country. But nothing beats
    how Rubios makes them. Unless you go down to
    Mexico. I've done many Mexico trips driving from
    San Diego to Ensenada, Rosarito, Port of Neuevo.
    All killer fish tacos and fresh Lobster carne asada
    and Margaritas. YUM!
    See Rubios history here. Mexican Food Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company Information
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dang, even the avocados are grilled.

Ride More, Work Less
    The grilled avocados look amazing.

:cool::thumbsup: Oh and by the way awesome job FishBucket. :p <<<< that's me drooling.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I said the U.S.A. not Mexico. But you hit on the key to why San Diego is the fish taco Capitol of the U.S.A.
    The fresh fisheries in Ensenada and the rich in tradition fish taco recipes started there. Ensenada is only an hour and a half 85 miles from San Diego. All the Southern California surfers for decades have made the trip down from San Diego to all the famous surf breaks between San Diego and Ensenada. One of those surfers took the famous Mexican fish taco recipes and brought it back to the states. He opened up his first fish taco
    shop in San Diego in 1983'. He named it Rubios. I first ate at the original one in 87'. It has since became a large chain.

The rest is history fish tacos over the years have
    spread throughout the country. But nothing beats
    how Rubios makes them. Unless you go down to
    Mexico. I've done many Mexico trips driving from
    San Diego to Ensenada, Rosarito, Port of Neuevo.
    All killer fish tacos and fresh Lobster carne asada
    and Margaritas. YUM!
    See Rubios history here. Mexican Food Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company Information
    Ah-haaaa! You figured it out. That's why I posted the BAJA California thing because I knew the roots of San Diego's greatness came from there.

Ah-haaaa! You figured it out. That's why I posted the BAJA California thing because I knew the roots of San Diego's greatness came from there.
    Unfortunately those that haven't experienced it think we're just blowing hot air.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Unfortunately those that haven't experienced it think we're just blowing hot air.
    True, but I have to think that lots of members here may not have ever even had a fish taco, much less been to San Diego.

gobsmacked Moderator

Fish Tacos !

Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    w/o flash probably tastes better
    Lol.

Updated version:

Fish Tacos !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383360049.543405.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Lol.

Updated version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383360049.543405.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	843679
    Is that Menudo in the soup cup ??

The Boat or The Bike?
    I'm for the W/O Flash taco's and another vote for the grilled avacado's!

Looks amazing...

Now I'm gone...
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Best ones I've had were from some coastal Mexico trips.

Then, making our own. Not all gussied up. A little cabbage, maybe some pico, sometimes a little lime.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Jan 2013
    20+ years ago we used to drive south to surf Roserita. The waves were great, there was NO one to compete with for waves, and the fish tacos were to die for.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk a drive into Baja these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    20+ years ago we used to drive south to surf Roserita. The waves were great, there was NO one to compete with for waves, and the fish tacos were to die for.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk a drive into Baja these days.

Yep same here as I mentioned earlier we made many trips in to Rosarito and Port of Neuevo. Two
    coastal towns in between San Diego and Ensenada.
    Sounds like you and I were hitting it up around the
    same time. All goodies and all fresh caught fiish
    tacos, Lobster, carne asada and margaritas or cervesa [beer]. And everything costs next to nothing. Those two small coastal surf / sea food towns were full of American tourists back then. Mainly young twenty something crowd just down there to party and eat the amazing food.

We are lucky to have experienced those care free times down there. As you said going down there these day's your risking your life. My brother still makes a annual yearly trip down to the Sea of Cortez to go wind surfing. He' s been doing it for 15 years. He seems to think if you travel in a group and stay to yourselves you'll be fine. I've argued with him every year but he keeps going. Scary place for Americans these days.

9 lives

I'd have to eat it without the fish.. but that looks tres yummy.
    I never thought to grill avocado... mmm have to try that
    and I do love hot sauce
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

meow meow
    mtbr the new instagram?

Afric Pepperbird
    Corn? No thanks

Jimmy crapped corn, and I don't care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep same here as I mentioned earlier we made many trips in to Rosarito and Port of Neuevo. Two
    coastal towns in between San Diego and Ensenada.
    Sounds like you and I were hitting it up around the
    same time. All goodies and all fresh caught fiish
    tacos, Lobster, carne asada and margaritas or cervesa [beer]. And everything costs next to nothing. Those two small coastal surf / sea food towns were full of American tourists back then. Mainly young twenty something crowd just down there to party and eat the amazing food.

We are lucky to have experienced those care free times down there. As you said going down there these day's your risking your life. My brother still makes a annual yearly trip down to the Sea of Cortez to go wind surfing. He' s been doing it for 15 years. He seems to think if you travel in a group and stay to yourselves you'll be fine. I've argued with him every year but he keeps going. Scary place for Americans these days.
    Ok now you guys are bringing back some great memories. We used to drive down for lobster and to party. Rosarito had Papas and Beer right on the beach where those drunk girls would ride that bull and Ensenada had Papas, Hussongs, Bananas and others. I remember a few times partying with the crowd off of a cruise ship. Even crashed out in the back of a pickup on the beach a couple of times. Wouldn't try that now though.

since 4/10/2009

Fish Tacos !

What is the best fish to use in fish tacos? Fried or grilled?

I haven't been lucky enough to get fish tacos in san diego. The closest I've eaten fish tacos is Sausalito, CA. Very yummy.

I has good ones at a little joint in Houston, TX, too. So far, most of the ones I find elsewhere use tilapia, which is a nonnative fish commonly farmed in the southeast. Gross fish, IMO. I won't touch it.

I think I would give an edge to grilled fish, something with a light flavor (not a strong fishy smell/flavor like tilapia). In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I prefer fried to grilled for texture, but I haven't had that baja fresh fish, which most folks would never consider frying. I'm pretty sure baja sets the standard for the fish taco. As for fish, Halibut is terrific, but probably too expensive in most places. In Oregon, we use rockfish, which are the bass of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I prefer fried to grilled for texture, but I haven't had that baja fresh fish, which most folks would never consider frying. I'm pretty sure baja sets the standard for the fish taco. As for fish, Halibut is terrific, but probably too expensive in most places. In Oregon, we use rockfish, which are the bass of the ocean.
    Yeah Halibut is a good one.
    But the best is Mai Mai & Sword Fish
    Both are used in traditional Mexican Baja fish tacos, and best if grilled.

If anyone that hasn't been to San Diego and if you ever make your way. The best fish taco in town is made at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach. Located on the very end of Newport ave. on the beach near the pier.
    South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

They have an assortment of different kinds of fish fresh caught daily. You nake the kind you want for your tacos and they grill it up. All in the Mexican
    Baja traditional recipes.

And if you can't make it to San Diego but make it in to California. The best chain for fish tacos is
    Rubios. As I mentioned earlier they are the creator
    and founder of the original fish taco brought over
    from Mexico to the states. Originated in San Diego
    in 1983' By a guy who made many surfing trips
    into Mexico. I told the story further up this thread
    with a link to the history. Anyway that chain is all
    over California and is amazing.

Rubios menu >> Best Fish Tacos | Mexican Restaurants | Rubio's

And Rubios history >>> Mexican Food
    Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company
    Information

He opened the first one in San Diego in 83' and I
    ate at the original one in 87'. And it has since grown in to a huge chain. But Ralph Rubio is a very nice down to earth guy even after hitting it big. I met him several times while I lived in San Diego. He makes his rounds from his many restaurants that he has there. And he gets down and works behind the counter just like a regular employee. He sold the business about three years ago but still works as an employee in some of them. Luckily new ownership kept all original recipes and Ralph Rubio still has his hands in any new recipe creations.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    What is the best fish to use in fish tacos? Fried or grilled?

I haven't been lucky enough to get fish tacos in san diego. The closest I've eaten fish tacos is Sausalito, CA. Very yummy.

I has good ones at a little joint in Houston, TX, too. So far, most of the ones I find elsewhere use tilapia, which is a nonnative fish commonly farmed in the southeast. Gross fish, IMO. I won't touch it.

I think I would give an edge to grilled fish, something with a light flavor (not a strong fishy smell/flavor like tilapia). In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.
    Nate, there really isn't a best fish for fish tacos. Whatever you prefer is going to be great. Personally, I like white, flakey fish meat (grilled or fried) but that's just me.

I agree on the Tilapia thing. Those things are grown in horrendous conditions. Yuck!!!

mtbr member
    Any White Flake fish , Like cod, seabass, rockfish... I dont eat freshwater bass. When I did as a kid it was kinda oily. It wight work.. sturgeon, white fish, walleye, perch. should work well.

Grilled or fried take your pick.
    If I fry, I'll add onion, garlic, shallots, peppers, red/yellow right into the pan and make a fish crumble.

Grilled get spiced up and then flaked to chunks when done. then use chopped tomato, corn, chopped onion, and homemade red cabbage slaw... bigger chunks in the Taco.

Sky is the limit on what you want. Experiment, and let us know how the black bass comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    Ok now you guys are bringing back some great memories. We used to drive down for lobster and to party. Rosarito had Papas and Beer right on the beach where those drunk girls would ride that bull and Ensenada had Papas, Hussongs, Bananas and others. I remember a few times partying with the crowd off of a cruise
    ship. Even crashed out in the back of a pickup on
    the beach a couple of times. Wouldn't try that now
    though.
    Yep all those places I've had great times at. There is also calafia an even smaller surf town before Rosarito amd Port of Nuevo. And the mechanical bull in Ensenada that thing will kick your butt after a day of tequila shots. It's hilarious all the hot drunk American girls have to try it. And after one ride the next day they can't even move. It torques every muscle in your body.

Another great place we used to go was San Felipe. For several years we'd make an annual trip down. We'd bring dirt bikes and hit the sand dunes just outside of town. Then the town is right on the water. And there's like a boardwalk with numerous Cantina's to eat fresh fish and lobster. There is also a place down there with a mechanical bull outside. A giant arena where everyone gathers and cheers on the next victim. Ha,ha good times in Mexico and we're lucky to have experienced it when it was carefree.

Talking of San Felipe it's farther down but a was a huge American tourism destination as is the others. But because it is farther down the main crowd it gets are desert toy enthusiasts and water toy. So you have every off road vehicle under the sun running around. And you can drive them on the streets without beimg hassled. So all the Americans are running around from bar to bar on dirt bikes,quads,3-wheelers,dune buggies and off road trucks. The roads are dirt and sand. And the surrounding dunes have huge quantities of the giant saora cactus. You know the ones that stand 30' tall or more. Awesome place and one big party.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member

If anyone that hasn't been to San Diego and if you ever make your way. The best fish taco in town is made at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach. Located on the very end of Newport ave. on the beach near the pier.
    South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

They have an assortment of different kinds of fish fresh caught daily. You nake the kind you want for your tacos and they grill it up. All in the Mexican
    Baja traditional recipes.

And if you can't make it to San Diego but make it in to California. The best chain for fish tacos is
    Rubios. As I mentioned earlier they are the creator
    and founder of the original fish taco brought over
    from Mexico to the states. Originated in San Diego
    in 1983' By a guy who made many surfing trips
    into Mexico. I told the story further up this thread
    with a link to the history. Anyway that chain is all
    over California and is amazing.
    I certainly am not a San Diego fish Taco expert but the grilled swordfish tacos at the Brigantine over by the Del Mar race track are pretty damn awesome, and a great deal during happy hour!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Here's something funny and related. My friend who goes by "007" here recently moved to NV. He got spoiled by the excellent Mexican Food in So Cal and can't seem to find anything out there that is nearly as good. He even started a thread to ask the locals.

OT: Las Vegas Mexican food

banned
    Sep 2010
    I make fish tacos out of hickory wood smoke grilled salmon. All who taste them unanimously proclaim them The Best.

banned
    Blue Water Grill on India St. in San Diego makes great fish tacos.

One interesting fish you can use from local waters is sculpin. Their flesh is tinted blue until you cook it. Another good one is rock cod.

If you want to try a beer batter with a totally different twist, try Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra (stout with curry, cayenne & cumin). I have not tried this but it's on my to-do list as I hear it tastes as awesome as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I certainly am not a San Diego fish Taco expert but the grilled swordfish tacos at the Brigantine over by the Del Mar race track are pretty damn awesome, and a great deal during happy hour!
    Hey funny you mentioned that I almost did. The Brigantine makes killer fish taco's. I used to frequent the one in La Mesa and Poway and occasionally the Del mar one. And as you know the hot sauce they have really add's to them. And they have happy hour and you can get a great deal during that time. Definitely in my top 5 best fish taco places in San Diego.

Here's something funny and related. My friend who goes by "007" here recently moved to NV. He got spoiled by the excellent Mexican Food in So Cal and can't seem to find anything out there that is nearly as good. He even started a thread to ask the locals.

OT: Las Vegas Mexican food

Hey I don't blame him I'm about to do the same in my local Colorado forum. But I know they won't be able to deliver what I'm used to coming from SD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I make fish tacos out of hickory wood smoke grilled salmon. All who taste them unanimously proclaim them The Best.
    I'll be the judge of that !

pm'ing you my address now.

banned
    Sep 2010

Hey I don't blame him I'm about to do the same in my local Colorado forum. But I know they won't be able to deliver what I'm used to coming from SD.
    Hey when you were in' Dago did you ever try a place called Tommy's Tex-Mex on Voltaire, near OB?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Bear Flag Fish Co. here in Newport Beach is my current go to. Especially being just a stones throw away from my house.

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Corn? No thanks

Jimmy crapped corn, and I don't care.
    What's wrong with you? Are you not human? Corn is the greatest thing on this planet..(well, kind of)

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.
    Bleck~!~ Freshwater bass are gross... I have never had a "fish taco" (no pun intended), but I would only prefer something from the ocean.

Any White Flake fish , Like cod, seabass, rockfish... I dont eat freshwater bass. When I did as a kid it was kinda oily. It wight work.. sturgeon, white fish, walleye, perch. should work well.

Grilled or fried take your pick.
    If I fry, I'll add onion, garlic, shallots, peppers, red/yellow right into the pan and make a fish crumble.

Grilled get spiced up and then flaked to chunks when done. then use chopped tomato, corn, chopped onion, and homemade red cabbage slaw... bigger chunks in the Taco.

Sky is the limit on what you want. Experiment, and let us know how the black bass comes out.
    Well damn,.. This sounds awesome!! I don't eat much fish at all, but where would one suggest to get a fish taco in the Washington D.C. area? I am willing to try it if it's made like this..
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Weird huh?
    Hickory with salmon is under rated. I shall try this again soon. Most folks think hickory is only good for pig/beef. Strong oily fish like salmon does fabulous with hickory. Hickory. That is all...hickory. My mouth is watering.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Bear Flag Fish Co. here in Newport Beach is my current go to. Especially being just a stones throw away from my house.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	844443
    That's Sriracha on them ISN'T IT! ADMIT IT!
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    That's Sriracha on them ISN'T IT! ADMIT IT!
    Haha, I thought the exact same thing when I grabbed that pic. Not my pic and I don't put sriracha on my fish tacos. Pho is a different story though!

They have a ton of different hot sauces in a corner but I stick with standard mexi style sauces.

mtbr member

You can"t really match the Baja style Mexican food they have in San Diego here in CO. The Mexican food here has more influence from Chihuahua and Sonora. What you will find in CO is awesome Green Chili like I could never find in CA or AZ.

Hey when you were in' Dago did you ever try a place called Tommy's Tex-Mex on Voltaire, near OB?
    Sounds familiar but I don't think I've been to that one. Probably drove by that's why the name sound's familiar.

check your six
    Hello!?!?! Any help for an East Coaster? Where does one get something like this?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    would one suggest to get a fish taco in the Washington D.C. area? .

Best Fish Tacos in DC area

Enjoy !

Good Luck !

check your six
    Well damn that Google... hmph.... haha... THx!

banned
    Sep 2012
    I know that when I lived in Boston for college 10 years ago the only decent fish taco was found at Baja Fresh in Quincy market. To me that was an ok fish taco, not like at home though. But as I said, that was 10 years ago.

Hopefully the East Coast gets it now... gotta say the food was pretty bland over there. Of course Italian in the North End of boston where I lived was phenomenal but Mexican food? Try driving 3000k miles.

Views:	54 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	844443
    Oh wow Gordon you live in Newport Beach. I used to get all through Newport Beach with my old work. Great place to live and a sensory overload with thing's to look at. What area are you in?

check your six
    Not a fan of Baja Fresh but never tried the fish taco. There is one close, so maybe I will give it a try. But, it's right next to Firehouse Subs... and C'mon... they are the best sub ever!! Fish Taco or Amazing sub?? Hmmm.... Maybe I will take one for the team and give in to the taco.... Not a big fat one, just a regular one.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Oh wow Gordon you live in Newport Beach. I used to get all through Newport Beach with my old work. Great place to live and a sensory overload with thing's to look at. What area are you in?
    Balboa Peninsula, right by the Newport Pier. My office is in Fashion Island so my wife and I have been lucky enough to live at the beach since we moved in together 7 years ago.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    It's not a taco....yet, but this slob of a 12# Cabezon that my buddy pulled onboard last week made for some damned good fish tacos!

check your six
    oh My Sack - Nice weird blue fish... You belong over here >>>> RandyBoys Hook Up thread uhh... not that you don't belong here either....

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Nice Cabby. Them dudes are badass! Blue meat like a Gator Ling.

Nice catch Sack Man now all we need is photo's of the end product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I made for some damned good fish tacos!
    No Pic... didn't happen.

mtbr member
    at Baja Fresh.
    Are you F'n kidding me ?!?

there is noting "Baja" about that place. if it's a chain restaurant it aint Mesikan.
    Drop the churro and run... run away as fast as you can.

No Pic... didn't happen.
    I make and eat them too often to take pictures of them! I'll try harder next time.

Balboa Peninsula, right by the Newport Pier. My office is in Fashion Island so my wife and I have been lucky enough to live at the beach since we moved in together 7 years ago.
    I used to make my way out on to the Balboa Peninsula. Very cool main drag with all the little quaint shops lining both sides. Lucky you!

I used to make my way out on to the Balboa
    Peninsula. Very cool main drag with all the little
    quaint shops lining both sides. Lucky you!

Let's see if I remember this right. As your going out on the Peninsula Starbucks is about halfway down on the left. And towards the end there's a market on the left that's where I used to make deliveries to. I can't remember the name of it but they served help your self coffee when you walk in on the right. They really draw people to come in for
    some good cheap coffee.

mtbr member
    I have *made* pretty good fish tacos, and have had pretty damned good ones. But those?

:drool:

A work of art...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Are you F'n kidding me ?!?

there is noting "Baja" about that place. if it's a chain restaurant it aint Mesikan.
    Drop the churro and run... run away as fast as you can.
    I totally agree.. I only ate there because it was the only thing available out there at the time. When I moved back to So Cal I ate at real mexi joints every day for a month straight.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I used to make my way out on to the Balboa
    Peninsula. Very cool main drag with all the little
    quaint shops lining both sides. Lucky you!

Let's see if I remember this right. As your going out on the Peninsula Starbucks is about halfway down on the left. And towards the end there's a market on the left that's where I used to make deliveries to. I can't remember the name of it but they served help your self coffee when you walk in on the right. They really draw people to come in for
    some good cheap coffee.
    You could be thinking of Balboa Island but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a store on the peninsula that is no longer there because of the bigger grocery stores around now. Would you pass a red restaurant called The Crab Cooker? If so that's the peninsula. The Crab Cooker has been around for decades and is in an old Bank of America. They even still use the vault to store fish I believe.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Is it ass cheek to ass check crowded down there at all times of the year or just in the Summer or holidays? The crowds always bugged me about that place. Used to go down there with a buddy to fish in Balboa bay.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Is it ass cheek to ass check crowded down there at all times of the year or just in the Summer or holidays? The crowds always bugged me about that place. Used to go down there with a buddy to fish in Balboa bay.
    Just summer and during the Christmas light boat parade. The Fall/Winter/Spring is not nearly as bad. We have parking so even in the summer it's not too bad for us, we just ride our beach cruisers everywhere on weekends anyways.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Hickory with salmon is under rated. I shall try this again soon. Most folks think hickory is only good for pig/beef. Strong oily fish like salmon does fabulous with hickory. Hickory. That is all...hickory. My mouth is watering.
    I've done salmon in Apple wood and Alderwood, when it comes to smoking. My favorite is alderwood for spring run ocean caught Chinook/King Salmon.

Just summer and during the Christmas light boat parade. The Fall/Winter/Spring is not nearly as bad. We have parking so even in the summer it's not too bad for us, we just ride our beach cruisers everywhere on weekends anyways.
    Yes I was thinking of Balboa Island but now that you jarred my memory I used to get out on Balboa Peninsula also. As you pass the red Crab Catcher and a Mc donalds the street does a Y. And you head out about halfway there is a market on the right and hang a right and it dead end's at the beach. On the very end on the right there's a great little breakfast burrito place white and blue. And if you come back out of that dead end and hang a right and go down aways on the left theres another breakfast place and next door is another marker with a freen sign. The name starts with a P, I think it's called Promelis market

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yes I was thinking of Balboa Island but now that you jarred my memory I used to get out on Balboa Peninsula also. As you paas the red Crab Catcher and a Mc donalds the street does a Y. And you head out about halfway there is a market on the right and hang a right and it dead end's at the beach. On the very end on the right there's a great little breakfast burrito place white and blue. And if you come back out of that dead end and hang a right and go down aways on the left theres another breakfast place and next door is another marker with a freen sign. The name starts with a P, I think it's called Promelis market
    yep, you got it right. That little breakfast burro spot is probably Pipeline Cafe and the Promelis closed. I live right after they "Y" in the road on the beach side. If you ever find yourself coming back to the area stop by for a beer on my patio or at one of the many bars nearby! (With a heads up of course)

yep, you got it right. That little breakfast burro spot is probably Pipeline Cafe and the Promelis closed. I live right after they "Y" in the road on the beach side. If you ever find yourself coming back to the area stop by for a beer on my patio or at one of the many bars nearby! (With a heads up of course)
    Oh wow I wish I still lived back there. I used to make deliveries to markets and such through there. Twice a week for about 4 years. So Promelis market closed bummer. It wasn't ever that crowded. There is another one in Costa Mesa that I delivered to as well, which was their main one. That little place Pipeline Cafe has killer breakfast burritos and I delivered to them as well. My routes started in San Diego, San Clemente, Dana Point,Laguna Beach, Newport Beach,Costa Mesa,Huntington Beach. Most consisting along the Coast Highway beach areas.

If I ever make it back to visit or live I'll keep you in mind for a beer. Your area is quite a desirable beach community. Were you around when that couple was selling their Yacht. And were taking the buyers out for a test spin only to be jacked murdered and thrown overboard. Just to steal the Yacht. I guess the couple was well known well liked pillars of the community. If I remember right they caught the criminals but never recovered the couples body's. Very tragic and sad it happened out of your area across the street from you at the yacht club. I'm sure you know about it and maybe more than I do.

banned
    Sep 2012
    That yacht murder happened a couple of years before I moved back to the area. They lived on it and were trying to sell it to move to Arizona, very sad. Some punk came up with a plan to steal the boat and some other assets or something. Had his pregnant wife or girlfriend meet the couple to make the scumbag seem like a nice guy as a front. I think their last name was the Hawks. Never found them and the mastermind of it all was sentenced to death not too long ago.

That yacht murder happened a couple of years before I moved back to the area. They lived on it and were trying to sell it to move to Arizona, very sad. Some punk came up with a plan to steal the boat and some other assets or something. Had his pregnant wife or girlfriend meet the couple to make the scumbag seem like a nice guy as a front. I think their last name was the Hawks. Never found them and the mastermind of it all was sentenced to death not too long ago.
    Yep freaking scumbag's deserve worse than the 50 years it takes to be put to death in California. Didn't it happen pretty much right across the street from you. I remember watching a special on it and they showed the street that went to the landing. I recognized it from my travels through there.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Their boat was docked down in the bayside of 15th. That burro place Pipeline is on the beach side of 15th... Very close to my current house and across the street from the elementary school.

Side note - the wife and I are trying to hold out on moving until after we have kids so they can go to the elementary school on the sand. One of the coolest playgrounds in the country.

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^And we are half joking about that, really not going to stay for that reason alone.

It is cool for the kids though:

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

Their boat was docked down in the bayside of 15th. That burro place Pipeline is on the beach side of 15th... Very close to my current house and across the street from the elementary school.

Side note - the wife and I are trying to hold out on moving until after we have kids so they can go to the elementary school on the sand. One of the coolest playgrounds in the country.
    Yeah the 15th street landing I recognized it from the show. Very cool place for an elementary school right there. Isn't there a Spaghetti Factory restaurant near the Crab Catcher as well. And I think I remember a Los Primos Mexican restaurant as we'll. If so their food is pretty good. Great bean and cheese burritos.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Spaghetti Factory is still there across Balboa blvd from my house. Los Primos has a location up in Costa Mesa on 17th. They have a huge burro called the mister serious, but I haven't had it since my late teens.

Spaghetti Factory is still there across Balboa blvd from my house. Los Primos has a location up in Costa Mesa on 17th. They have a huge burro called the mister serious, but I haven't had it since my late teens.
    Oh! Makes sense 17th was a major part of my route. We delivered to all the Chronic Taco locations. One near the Circle K at the coast highway and one up off 17th in Costa Mesa. What a name huh, Chronic Tacos some stoners started that chain. And I wasn't too impressed with their food.

Now your talking about my old stompin' grounds in the '70s and early 80's. My folks had a 45' ketch rigged sailboat. We kept it right next to the Reuben E. Lee restaurant on PCH and then moved over to Lido Isle for a while before porting in Los Alamitos to the north. In my teens, I would terrorize that harbor by Zodiac! Spent a lot of time hangin' at Bisbee's fuel dock.

DJ, you're thinking of the Crab COOKER. Every Sunday evening, we either side tie the boat at The Cannery for dinner or drive over to the Crab Cooker, or Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory. Those were the 3 regulars every single weekend for dinner for years while we were ported there. Early 80's I was a west coast rep for a very large yachting equipment importer/wholesaler based in Irvine and the owner and his wife had TWO houses side by side on the Peninsula, both on the beach side on Balboa Blvd right about 'D' street. You stepped out the backdoor and were standing on the boardwalk. They used to travel the world a lot, some of it by sailing their 42' yawl the Bonnie Doone which was docked right across the street in the harbor. My best buddy who was an inside sales rep for the company and I would each get a house to live in while they were gone. Sometimes for weeks, sometimes a month or more. If I could remember the sh!t we got into having 2 houses side by side, I'd probably be able to tell you some hilarious stories. It's sort of a haze, still! Good times, they were.

Now your talking about my old stompin' grounds in the '70s and early 80's. My folks had a 45' ketch rigged sailboat. We kept it right next to the Reuben E. Lee restaurant on PCH and then moved over to Lido Isle for a while before porting in Los Alamitos to the north. In my teens, I would terrorize that harbor by Zodiac! Spent a lot of time hangin' at Bisbee's fuel dock.

DJ, you're thinking of the Crab COOKER. Every Sunday evening, we either side tie the boat at The Cannery for dinner or drive over to the Crab Cooker, or Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory. Those were the 3 regulars every single weekend for dinner for years while we were ported there. Early 80's I was a west coast rep for a very large yachting equipment importer/wholesaler based in Irvine and the owner and his wife had TWO houses side by side on the Peninsula, both on the beach side on Balboa Blvd right about 'D' street. You stepped out the backdoor and were standing on the boardwalk. They used to travel the world a lot, some of it by sailing their 42' yawl the Bonnie Doone which was docked right across the street in the harbor. My best buddy who was an inside sales rep for the company and I would each get a house to live in while they were gone. Sometimes for weeks, sometimes a month or more. If I could remember the sh!t we got into having 2 houses side by side, I'd probably be able to tell you some hilarious stories. It's sort of a haze, still! Good times, they were.
    Oh yeah Crab Cooker the red building with white letters. The Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory one of my favorite places. My girlfriend and I were regulars at the downtown San Diego one for years. They closed it down several years ago and sold off all the memorabilia at an auction. I can't remember but someone bought the big 100 year old bar that was like 40' long made out of one piece of wood. Amazing! The history of that place I think it was the original one. There's another on in north county SD but it's in a new building and doesn't come close to the old historical building in down town SD.

Sack feel free to tell some of those long lost stories from back in the day. I'm picturing you rowing your dingy through the bay drunk off your ass. Those were the good old day's aye.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    This thread:

WNNER!: Best thread title ever

mtbr member
    This thread:

WNNER!: Best thread title ever

You know it Buddy !

banned
    Sep 2012

Oh yeah Crab Cooker the red building with white letters. The Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory one of my favorite places. My girlfriend and I were regulars at the downtown San Diego one for years. They closed it down several years ago and sold off all the memorabilia at an auction. I can't remember but someone bought the big 100 year old bar that was like 40' long made out of one piece of wood. Amazing! The history of that place I think it was the original one. There's another on in north county SD but it's in a new building and doesn't come close to the old historical building in down town SD.

Sack feel free to tell some of those long lost stories from back in the day. I'm picturing you rowing your dingy through the bay drunk off your ass. Those were the good old day's aye.

The romano cheese potatoes at Crab Cooker are insanely good. They also grill their fish on a stick which is awesome. At Spaghetti Factory I always stick with the basics (spaghetti meatball type stuff) and we only go in the Winter because it is chaos during the summer with all of the rental folks in town.

Sack - My best friend's family owned a house down on 'I' street near where you used to hang out on 'D' street. Now they live a few blocks away in the same area and their neighbor is Billie Joe from Green Day (unless the house sold, he listed it not too long ago). Funny story, he (Billie Joe) called the cops on a loud neighbor/party a few years back.. kinda ironic. Thats further down the peninsula at Balboa Point near the Wedge. Very quiet at that end of the peninsula, even in the summer relative to everywhere else in town. My buddy has a Duffy boat (harbor cruise electric boat basically built to party on) and we get after it out on the harbor bar hoping on the boat.

One of these days I will grow up and leave but as long as Mrs. Shumway enjoys living here so will I!

Update - I think the house is still for sale. Green Day frontman lists Newport Beach home | beach, newport, home - Business - The Orange County Register

The romano cheese potatoes at Crab Cooker are insanely good. They also grill their fish on a stick which is awesome. At Spaghetti Factory I always stick with the basics (spaghetti meatball type stuff) and we only go in the Winter because it is chaos during the summer with all of the rental folks in town.

Sack - My best friend's family owned a house down on 'I' street near where you used to hang out on 'D' street. Now they live a few blocks away in the same area and their neighbor is Billie Joe from Green Day (unless the house sold, he listed it not too long ago). Funny story, he (Billie Joe) called the cops on a loud neighbor/party a few years back.. kinda ironic. Thats further down the peninsula at Balboa Point near the Wedge. Very quiet at that end of the peninsula, even in the summer relative to everywhere else in town. My buddy has a Duffy boat (harbor cruise electric boat basically built to party on) and we get after it out on the harbor bar hoping on the boat.

One of these days I will grow up and leave but as long as Mrs. Shumway enjoys living here so will I!

Update - I think the house is still for sale. Green Day frontman lists Newport Beach home | beach, newport, home - Business - The Orange County Register
    Yeah Ye Ol Spaghetti Factory my dish was always spaghetti with clam sauce. My girl alway's got the spaghetti with meatballs. Have you had them put the Mizithra Cheese on it, that makes it amazing. I haven't ate there in years but where else can you go and get a spaghetti dinner a salad and spumoni Italian ice cream all included for $7 bucks and change.

mtbr member
    he (Billie Joe) called the cops on a loud neighbor/party a few years back.. kinda ironic.
    No, It's typical Liberal hypocrite elite hipster bull shit. The second it does not go their way they call in the cops, whom they despise because they keep them down... F'n idiots.
    Billie Joe is a poopyhead !. you can tell him I said so.... and he ain't getting any Fish Tacos, Jack !

No, It's typical Liberal hypocrite elite hipster bull shit. The second it does not go their way they call in the cops, whom they despise because they keep them down... F'n idiots.
    Billie Joe is a poopyhead !. you can tell him I said so.... and he ain't getting any Fish Tacos, Jack !
    You go Fishbucket I now nominate you as the official OC Fish Taco Nazi.
    Seinfeld SOUP NAZI best bits. - YouTube

mtbr member
    So, this thread got me drooling, and I texted a friend who knows this area well that I wanted him to take me out for the best fish tacos in town once he got back.

He asked me if that was a euphemism...

NO! I WANT SOME EFFIN TACOS! Sheesh. ;_;

banned
    Sep 2012
    My buddy's dad said he was "a little feminine" the few times he actually spoke with him and I always thought Green Day put out glam pop wanna be punk music. I guess you are right, it isn't ironic because that is expected out of a dude like that.

Now I am going to light a bag of shit on fire on his doorstep with a note along side of it saying "No Fish Tacos for you, POOPYHEAD!"

mtbr member
    "No Fish Tacos for you, POOPYHEAD!"
    YES !

don't forget Video.

b a n n e d
    True, but I have to think that lots of members here may not have ever even had a fish taco, much less been to San Diego.
    Really funny story . . . I have a friend back in the midwest with whom I had a good 5 minute conversation about how I had the most amazing fish tacos after moving to LA. I was going on and on about about them and then started talking about how my wife liked them too . . . it was then that he realized we were NOT talking about the same "tacos."
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Really funny story . . . I have a friend back in the midwest with whom I had a good 5 minute conversation about how I had the most amazing fish tacos after moving to LA. I was going on and on about about them and then started talking about how my wife liked them too . . . it was then that he realized we were NOT talking about the same "tacos."
    But, but, the conversation continued about the wife liking fish tacos I hope???

Just gotta love how far this thread has gone....from Fish tacos to fish TACOS!

banned
    Sep 2010

Yeah, I remember the Spaghetti Factory well. We used to eat there a couple times a month.

mtbr member
    *whistles innocently*

Just gotta love how far this thread has gone....from Fish tacos to fish TACOS!
    And where will it go from here only time will tell.
    Muskrat Love perhaps.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I was just eating fish tacos in Disney California and thought of this thread mid taco and snapped a shot. They were pretty good for being inside an amusement park.

Not sure how to flip this pic while uploading from my phone:

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

I was just eating fish tacos in Disney California and thought of this thread mid taco and snapped a shot. They were pretty good for being inside an amusement park.

Not sure how to flip this pic while uploading from my phone:

Views:	47 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	846157
    Ya big tease beer and all.

banned
    Jan 2013
    WTF? To hell with the fish tacos, how did you find beer in Disney!!?? I dont drink very often, but halfway into a day there i am in desperate need.

mtbr member
    You need to go in with a full one of these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast