Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dirt Huffer

Egomaniac's - UGHHHH!!

I never had to deal with an egomaniac until I moved in with one. I knew this guy for 2 years. We hungout and mostly went to bars. He seemed alright. I always thought his massive display's of ego were just to get a laugh out of people and it was sort of a joke or a perona. I'd laugh.

But once I moved in with the guy I realized that he never quit. It wasn't joke and he really thinks he is a legend. In fact he often says he's "the living legend." The worst part is he is always making up twisted stories about other people - people who he no longer associates with. The stories are ment to put the person down and to make his ownself appear superior.

He often calls people "broski's" and say's he can't stand them. He's the biggest "broski" i've ever met. He's a meathead who lifts constantly, caring more about size and numbers instead of achieving some sort of overall fitness goal - he so large that his cardio fitness is that of an inactive obese person. Anyways, I'm pretty sure he's just calling people broski's to mask his own behavior.

He even makes up stories about broski's. We passed a random bar in blue collar part of town and he said it was bar that a lot of broski's hung out at. He's never been to the bar. Another time while on the freeway a v6 Camaro gunned-it next to us and he said the guy was a broski "cuz only broski's do that."

I'm finding it hard to deal with him. His behavior is incredibly predictable, almost repetitive in nature. I sometimes call him out (nicely) but he has very low self esteem and it just brings him down to the point where he becomes depressed and will avoid me for a few days. The only thing i've found that works is just plain ignoring him.

High Desert MTBer
    He sounds like a pretty sad person who could probably use a little love...
    It's all Here. Now.

official eMpTyBRain
    I say mess with his head til he sees the light once and for all.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Ride More, Whine Less

Egomaniac's - UGHHHH!!

Just like many find out in marriage--you can't change people. Pack your bags and move along. Become a broski and never look back.

mtbr member
    While he's sleeping put a pillow over his head, problem solved.

Trail Prospector
    People who put others down only to feel better about themselves are pond scum.
    Agree with ^ get outta dodge, refuse to hang with the living legend, and go be a broski.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

I like to call that type the "one uppers". My favorite game to play with them is to fabricate over the top stories just to hear their "oh yea? well one time i......" response.

It is a shame, sounds like the guy is puffing him self up to mask his insecurities. Sadly, people are who they are. He wont change. If you cant deal with it, bail.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

official eMpTyBRain
    Well, this one time, at band camp....

mtbr member
    Sounds like tensions are building and you 2 need to get a room. Oh, you already did that, ummm.....
    How bout if he pays his share of the rent you consider yourself lucky and stop judging him. Sounds like you're putting too much time and energy into how he acts and don't get why you care.
    Round and round we go

pin it
    There's a few well known egomaniacs in the world: Donald Trump, Charlie Sheen etc. who seem to get away with their over the top behaviour but I bet your roommate isn't famous or successful

I gather that you aren't too happy with the behaviour and he won't change his personality ... so either you have to accept that or you can look for a new living arrangement
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    I like to call that type the "one uppers".
    There's a Dilbert character named "Topper".

Topper on Dilbert.com

When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    oh...yo mean d00shbag.

create an 'do00shbag' jar. Anytime he acts like a giant d00shbag have him put a dollar in.

(my wife is watching a silly sitcom where they have a room mate actually do that)
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

duh
    just tell him you are broski and proud of it.

Wondering is broski is bro's name on a ski site?

it doesn't sound to bad, from the urban dictionary: Urban Dictionary: broski

broski

What are broskis?
    Broskis are guys that would do anything for each other, excluding: homosexual activity, dressing up in women's clothes, and lending a shoulder to cry on (broskis don't cry).

What does being a broski mean?
    A broski is the top of the social food chain. By having connections with broskis, you will open up more doors to the future then ever before. A broski is the highest rank of friend, therefore allowing more things to be done without worrying about outside judgement. If someone questions you say, "Nah, we're just broskis." They'll know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Just like many find out in marriage--you can't change people. Pack your bags and move along. Become a broski and never look back.
    +1 Move out and foghedaboudit.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    There's a Dilbert character named "Topper".

Topper on Dilbert.com

Haha, I have a friend that we started calling 'Topper' back in high school because he was always one upping stories. "That's nothing, this one time..." We still call him that today, 15+ years later.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Egomaniac's - UGHHHH!!

I agree. Time to break up with him. What a chump's.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

AZ
    banned
    Have him create an account here so he can interact with the OC. Should be good for a few laughs.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    oh...yo mean d00shbag.

create an 'do00shbag' jar. Anytime he acts like a giant d00shbag have him put a dollar in.

(my wife is watching a silly sitcom where they have a room mate actually do that)
    HEY!!! Isn't that double taxation?!!!

mtbr member
    Hard to know without knowing, but many folks like this need to be loved for who they truly are. The hope is that they can learn to trust that it is enough without fabricating a falsehood.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Cool story, broski.

I know someone who's sorta like that. Not like the typical meathead "bro"-type person, but an egotistical jerk-off all the same. No matter what you've done, he's done something better. Another guy I know sort of adopted the whole meathead persona, but it's funny because he's skinny as a stick. In both cases, we all have a bunch of mutual friends so I still have to associate with them on occasion. It's possible to tolerate them for a couple minutes, but after that I have to remove myself from the situation and ignore them. That's really the only way to deal with people like that.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Therapy.... the d00d needs therapy.

He was beat up as a child some how and now is paying the price.

Intervention and some therapy should do it.

oh, and Run... run away as fast as you can.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I saw what you did there
    What did GOB do there? Could you help me out? I still don't see what she did there.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    It has to do with apostrophe's
    And it was pretty darn funny too.

The White Jeff W
    When I was a teen we moved to a new neighborhood. I made friends with a kid who was a lot like the OP's room mate. Honestly he annoyed the f--k outa me but there wasn't anyone else to hang with so I tolerated him just for the company. He had some cool biker uncles who would buy beer and weed for us so it had it's perks .

Anyways, he didnt get along with his parents and was talking about running away. My Mom, being the generous, caring sort invited him to live with us. His parents allowed it and he moved in despite my protests.

After several months of his boorish behavior, my mom found weed and a pipe in his stuff & threw him out. To his credit, he told her it was his and that I knew nothing about it, even though it was ours. True Broski right there.
    No moss...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yeah, I tolerated a meathead, former USMC powerlifter, as a roomate before. Dude was nuttier than a 3-Dollar bill. Mentally, his Six-Pack was missing at least TWO CANS. He was also a Bipolar Bear, who needed to constantly smoke Pot - just to take some edge off his already skewed reality and nasty, short temper.

One night, just before rent was due - I simply packed-up and left him alone with my furniture, in lieu of rent. Life's been grand, ever since!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast