View Poll Results: Do you think there is any other intelligent life on any other planets?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earth is the only planet in the Universe with any intelligent life.

6 13.33%
  • There may be more intelligent life, but they are so far away we will never find out about them.

6 13.33%
  • We may some day receive messages sent by other intelligent life, but they will be too far away to visit.

14 31.11%
  • We will some day visit intelligent life on other planets, or they may come visit us.

19 42.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keep pedaling

Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?

I just saw an article that says "Astronomers reported that there could be as many as 40 billion habitable Earth-size planets in the galaxy" ... "One out of every five sunlike stars in the galaxy has a planet the size of Earth circling it in the Goldilocks zone — not too hot, not too cold — where surface temperatures should be compatible with liquid water, according to a herculean three-year calculation based on data from the Kepler spacecraft"

It seems inevitable that there is other intelligent life in the Universe. I wonder how far away they are. I wonder if we will ever discover them and communicate with them. I wonder what they would be like.

They could have technology thousands of years more advanced than ours. I wonder what kinds of machines and computers they would have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/sc...arth.html?_r=0

AZ
    banned
    When someone demonstrates intelligence on this planet I'll consider the others.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    that hurt

mtbr member
    Yes I'd like to think so. Space is so vast I can't image not, especially if I consider the space just between my ears
    Round and round we go

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I believe there's more life out there, but it's on the order of light-years away. Until we figure out how to safely travel at the speed of light, with the ability to sustain a population on the craft for the entire voyage, I doubt we'll ever be able to visit these other planets.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that Earth is the only planet with organisms adapted for living on this planet. So searching for other Earth-like planets could actually be hampering our ability to find other life. For all we know, carbon and liquid water could be toxic to extra-terrestrials. We even have plenty of life here on Earth that doesn't necessarily need the same living conditions as people, but it's also not strictly "intelligent" life. Our chances of finding other life would be vastly improved if we were to open our scope towards other possible living conditions, but it's difficult enough to look for life with similar living conditions as ourselves, and to look for other conditions would spread our resources too thinly. Scientists have been looking for evidence of life on Saturn's moons, but as far as I know, most of the criteria for life outside our solar system is simply the conditions that we know are habitable for life. I appreciate that we're looking for what we know, though.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

****** to the dirt
    like my favourite shirt said when I was younger "Beam me up scotty there is no intelligent life down here".
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

Meatbomb
    Functioning life forms - yes.

High Desert MTBer
    Of course there is life out there... if something alien can live between my toes, in my armpits, or somewhere unmentionable, then outer space is child's play...
    It's all Here. Now.

check your six
    Humans are a bit naive to think we are the "only" ones.. There is more space out there than we can comprehend, and we are the only ones? We have lots of illegal ones in my neck of the woods though...
    Last edited by sodak; 11-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

EMBA Member
    You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Name:  borg1.gif
Views: 1170
Size:  87.3 KB

Ride More, Work Less

I do. May question is whether I get to see it in my life.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

9 lives
    I believe ... we are not alone

Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?-the_truth_is_out_there_tagline.jpg

Good article furball
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Life is an incredibly delicate thing that requires absolutely perfect conditions in order to thrive. The other planets in our solar system are a perfect example of what cannot support (intelligent) life.

That said, if you consider just how many millions of other solar systems there are, it only makes sense to believe that there is life elsewhere. Intelligent life? Probably. It may be how we got here in the first place or at least how we learned some things. There is evidence to suggest that we have been visited in the not too distant past.

But, non-intelligent life? MOST DEFINITELY.

The odds of us being the only place in the universe with intelligent life are astronomical. The odds of us being the only place in the universe with any life at all is infinity-to-one (basically impossible).

BTW, the pole should include unintelligent life as well...

A waste of time it is is
    That's the most intelligent thing anyone has ever said, I think you need to start considering the others.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If intelligent life from another world ever lands on Earth we will
    probably end up being their dinner.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    My head's about to explode thinking about the possibilities. I like to keep life simple and ponder what bike part to buy next.

Seriously though: Yes
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?

I think its more than likely. But intelligent life, by our definition of intelligence, that's probably a lot less likely. Really, its just incredible luck that we've gone so long without an extinction event like ended the jurassic, or a deep freeze like the cryogenian. And it will be another miracle if we last long enough to be noticed by other more intelligent life. We've only been making noise (emitting radio to space) for less than a hundred years. That's a blink of an eye.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Life is an incredibly delicate thing that requires absolutely perfect conditions in order to thrive. The other planets in our solar system are a perfect example of what cannot support (intelligent) life.
    I'd say organisms themselves are incredibly delicate. But life, on a general scale, is incredibly resilient and will adapt to the conditions which it's handed.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    I just saw an article that says "Astronomers reported that there could be as many as 40 billion habitable Earth-size planets in the galaxy" ... "One out of every five sunlike stars in the galaxy has a planet the size of Earth circling it in the Goldilocks zone — not too hot, not too cold — where surface temperatures should be compatible with liquid water, according to a herculean three-year calculation based on data from the Kepler spacecraft"

It seems inevitable that there is other intelligent life in the Universe. I wonder how far away they are. I wonder if we will ever discover them and communicate with them. I wonder what they would be like.

They could have technology thousands of years more advanced than ours. I wonder what kinds of machines and computers they would have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/sc...arth.html?_r=0
    Even going to the nearest star which is 4ly away is gonna take us several 1000 years with current technology, and even with really far out, not invented yet, and probably severl hundreds to thousand year away tech, it still going to take at least 1000 years or so to explore single starsystems in the nearest 100ly radius.

Either We figure out how to bend space, or we figure out how to break the speed of light, thats pretty much the only option to actually find other intelligent life I'm afraid. Or hey why not start with finding intelligent life here on earth first??

We have lots of radio telesecopes, optical telescopes and space based sensors but, we would not be able to to pick up our own signals if we were in the nearest solar system with the equipment we have have here today, its just too small and low sensitivity.

Basically the signals we actually can pick up are the most powerful ones in the entire universe, like when starts 100 times bigger than our sun explodes not too far from us.

And then we have the problem with our understanding of what we really live in, as it is right now we "somewhat" understand about 4% of the universe and what its actually made of, the rest is dark matter and dark energy, and those are unknown unknowns, and no one knows not even the slightest thing about any of them. And its highly unlikely we will find out anything about those without anyone smarter explaining it to us, its pretty much all wild theories that cannot be tested in any way, shape or form.

We don't even know how gravity works yet, so somehow modifying it or reversing it or possibly inverting the phase of it is pretty much not on the table in the next few years there i suppose.

I'm 101% certain there is intelligent life out there, our own galaxy is probably full of it, but i kinda doubt we will be going visiting them any time soon. We are a too self destructive, egoistic, and stupid race for that to happen. The majority of the people on the planet still think "god" created this.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

banned
    I'm sure (without a bit of proof, sadly) that there is, was, or will be intelligent life out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    If intelligent life from another world ever lands on Earth we will
    probably end up being their dinner.
    You've been watching the Twilight Zone for too many years now.

"To Serve Man"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I'd say organisms themselves are incredibly delicate. But life, on a general scale, is incredibly resilient and will adapt to the conditions which it's handed.
    More true than untrue, but not completely true, either.

check your six
    Off to watch a weeks worth of Ancient Aliens!!!! ALIENS~~~ (it's my favorite, and only show I really watch)..... *we need an alien emotocon....
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Off to watch a weeks worth of Ancient Aliens!!!! ALIENS~~~ (it's my favorite, and only show I really watch)..... *we need an alien emotocon....
    That's a great show!!!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    More importantly -- is there intelligent life in Washington DC?

Newly elected government official have a mandatory surgery before being allowed to take office. They have their guts, their heart, and their spine removed, and their head and their ass are made interchangeable.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    You heard it here first;

"Gate Builders".

The prequel to my epic sci-fi series and universe. It chronicles how humans left the solar system and spread out to other planets. It took a very, very long time, and became the stuff of legends and history lessons. It happened hundreds of years before the main story takes places, and there is no overlap because it was in the past, like Columbus was by the time the USA was officially established. It is mostly centered around daily struggles instead of spacey stuff, technology, and aliens, similar to BSG (new series) and Firefly. I prefer low sci-fi (believable, not far fetched, taking place in our universe) instead of high sci-fi (alternate universes, aliens, lasers, etc.)

That sounded geekier than it actually is. I just don't like to post details cause I don't want you scumbags stealin' meh 'lectual contents!

Maaaaan
    I think there is probably life on other worlds. I have no idea if we will ever contact them.

One of the things I think is funny, is that some scientists still say to hot, or to cold, and yet on our own planet, they find life under tremendous pressures and living in temps of 100s deg C near under water volcanic vents, or in freezing temps at the poles...

Some will make some strange comments about extraterrestrial life, when they don't even fully understand life on our own planet.

They are even finding some liquid water on moons out in the Solor system. They don't fully understand why, but it means there could be undersea life on one of Jupiter's moons.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Maaaaan
    How many of you have seen this?

Paul the alien.. best scene - YouTube
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think they will find us before we find them. For all we know they have already found us.

meow meow
    when you look out in space you look into to future. about 14.5 billion years in the future. think of what humans have done in the short time we have been around. think of what something could acheive if they worked at that rate for 14.5 billion years.

banned
    Oct 2013
    It just amazes me that how big space is and no end in sight, we are on Planet Earth which is a mere dust spec that is totally invisible to the scope of things. I think over and over on how scary, strange and fascinating that we are on a spec of dirt floating around in what? with other specs of dirt along with us. Billions of galaxies, moons, planets and that is as far as we can see even with big telescopes and there is more out there we can't see. I'm 100% other intelligent life is out there, but we are so small and even if they had some awesome radar thing, it would go right over us....or not. Like searching for a certain piece of dust in a super super large bale of hay.....likely will never find "them" nor will they find us, but it may happen if we lock radio signals somehow.

Just hope they are like us, curious and not willing to wipe us out......at first

Even more great is even "them" and us were created by something....the entire universe was created by something....it can't just "happen" so what in the hell created all of this? Even intelligent beings out there we find will have this same question. Also if something created us and space, what created "it"?? and so on and so on.

So effing fascinating and I am glad I am part of it and I'm not afraid to die because I truly believe that when we die, we'll find out the truth....of everything and that makes me so calm and unafraid to die.

For now though I enjoy helping people, riding bikes, enjoying family, and everything my planet has to offer....I don't want to go just yet! Next year I plan on going to Belfast harbor in Ireland to stand in the spot the Titanic was built.... I NEED to do that before the end!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    This thread is blowing my mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?-image.jpg  

Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric.Bravery View Post
    It just amazes me that how big space is and no end in sight, we are on Planet Earth which is a mere dust spec that is totally invisible to the scope of things. I think over and over on how scary, strange and fascinating that we are on a spec of dirt floating around in what? with other specs of dirt along with us. Billions of galaxies, moons, planets and that is as far as we can see even with big telescopes and there is more out there we can't see. I'm 100% other intelligent life is out there, but we are so small and even if they had some awesome radar thing, it would go right over us....or not. Like searching for a certain piece of dust in a super super large bale of hay.....likely will never find "them" nor will they find us, but it may happen if we lock radio signals somehow.

Just hope they are like us, curious and not willing to wipe us out......at first

Even more great is even "them" and us were created by something....the entire universe was created by something....it can't just "happen" so what in the hell created all of this? Even intelligent beings out there we find will have this same question. Also if something created us and space, what created "it"?? and so on and so on.

So effing fascinating and I am glad I am part of it and I'm not afraid to die because I truly believe that when we die, we'll find out the truth....of everything and that makes me so calm and unafraid to die.

For now though I enjoy helping people, riding bikes, enjoying family, and everything my planet has to offer....I don't want to go just yet! Next year I plan on going to Belfast harbor in Ireland to stand in the spot the Titanic was built.... I NEED to do that before the end!

Well I hope they are not like us, because if they were they just might try and wipe us out first. Look at our history when we discovered americas. We came started wars and tried to pillage the area for the kings and queens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

Redcoat

Aliens have to exist it's a mathematical certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am sure that there is intelligent life out there. The question is: will we destroy ourselves and our planet's ability to support life before we ever meet any others?

aka: Buck eFikes
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    when you look out in space you look into to future. about 14.5 billion years in the future. think of what humans have done in the short time we have been around. think of what something could acheive if they worked at that rate for 14.5 billion years.
    Actually, we are seeing the past. Given the vast distances to the stars we see in our night sky, it's possible to be looking at starlight from a star that no longer exists because it takes so long for the light to reach us. We're seeing light emitted light years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So since the majority--like everybody--in this thread seems to feel certain about intelligent life, the question begs whether this means there is no reconciling extra-terrestrial intelligence with the Judeo-Christian-Muslim notion of God? Or can God exist in a Universe full of aliens?
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 11-25-2013 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Maybe God is the alien?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Maybe God is the alien?
    That has always seemed more likely to me than what I learned in church.

No Stranger to danger....
    I know for a fact that anal probers live on other planets..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

banned
    Oct 2013
    This thread makes me want to see a new "alien invasion on Earth" movie. Like Skyline..love that one.

aka: Buck eFikes
    And if there IS intelligent life out there that had the ability to reach out to us, why would they wish to communicate with us? When was the last time you made friends with a colony of cockroaches?

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    And if there IS intelligent life out there that had the ability to reach out to us, why would they wish to communicate with us? When was the last time you made friends with a colony of cockroaches?
    They may need some new terrain to go ride on.

Imagine how strong or light their suspension would need to be due to the change in gravity ooooohhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    So since the majority--like everybody--in this thread seems to feel certain about intelligent life, the question begs whether this means there is no reconciling extra-terrestrial intelligence with the Judeo-Christian-Muslim notion of God? Or can God exist in a Universe full of aliens?
    I gave up on faith a long time before i really put any thought into aliens, but my grandpa always told me that if alien life was discovered it would make him lose his religion. Either way it certainly casts some doubt on the whole "God made man in the image of himself" thing, i would think?

I wonder if this planet will ever be worth visiting while humans are around. Anything technologically advanced enough to visit us would be considered an imminent threat. With 10's of billions of other earth-like planets, there's probably a lot more interesting things to see out there than what we've managed to cobble together.

Ride More, Work Less

Genesis does not suggest life on other planets in the universe could not exist. If you believe in free will, life on earth could be just one experimental trial. Why not have replications on other earths?
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    It's possible that the aliens' version of a god is similar to the Judeo-Christian-Muslim concept. There are subtle differences among the stories/concepts, but all in all, all the stories point to the same thing.

High Desert MTBer
    I think anyone who persists with the belief that Dog made Man in his image is barking up the wrong tree...

Us true believers KNOW that Dog is in fact a *****cat...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Genesis does not suggest life on other planets in the universe could not exist. If you believe in free will, life on earth could be just one experimental trial. Why not have replications on other earths?
    I've always thought of it as a tweenage alien's science fair project. High marks for creativity. Low marks for execution.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've always thought of it as a tweenage alien's science fair project. High marks for creativity. Low marks for execution.
    So you are saying that we are all just "Guinea Pigs" in another intelligent life form's eyes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast