View Poll Results: Do you think there is any other intelligent life on any other planets?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earth is the only planet in the Universe with any intelligent life.

6 13.33%
  • There may be more intelligent life, but they are so far away we will never find out about them.

6 13.33%
  • We may some day receive messages sent by other intelligent life, but they will be too far away to visit.

14 31.11%
  • We will some day visit intelligent life on other planets, or they may come visit us.

19 42.22%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Keep pedaling

Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?

I just saw an article that says "Astronomers reported that there could be as many as 40 billion habitable Earth-size planets in the galaxy" ... "One out of every five sunlike stars in the galaxy has a planet the size of Earth circling it in the Goldilocks zone not too hot, not too cold where surface temperatures should be compatible with liquid water, according to a herculean three-year calculation based on data from the Kepler spacecraft"

It seems inevitable that there is other intelligent life in the Universe. I wonder how far away they are. I wonder if we will ever discover them and communicate with them. I wonder what they would be like.

They could have technology thousands of years more advanced than ours. I wonder what kinds of machines and computers they would have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/sc...arth.html?_r=0

AZ
    banned
    When someone demonstrates intelligence on this planet I'll consider the others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    that hurt

mtbr member
    Yes I'd like to think so. Space is so vast I can't image not, especially if I consider the space just between my ears
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I believe there's more life out there, but it's on the order of light-years away. Until we figure out how to safely travel at the speed of light, with the ability to sustain a population on the craft for the entire voyage, I doubt we'll ever be able to visit these other planets.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that Earth is the only planet with organisms adapted for living on this planet. So searching for other Earth-like planets could actually be hampering our ability to find other life. For all we know, carbon and liquid water could be toxic to extra-terrestrials. We even have plenty of life here on Earth that doesn't necessarily need the same living conditions as people, but it's also not strictly "intelligent" life. Our chances of finding other life would be vastly improved if we were to open our scope towards other possible living conditions, but it's difficult enough to look for life with similar living conditions as ourselves, and to look for other conditions would spread our resources too thinly. Scientists have been looking for evidence of life on Saturn's moons, but as far as I know, most of the criteria for life outside our solar system is simply the conditions that we know are habitable for life. I appreciate that we're looking for what we know, though.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

duh
    like my favourite shirt said when I was younger "Beam me up scotty there is no intelligent life down here".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Meatbomb
    Functioning life forms - yes.

High Desert MTBer
    Of course there is life out there... if something alien can live between my toes, in my armpits, or somewhere unmentionable, then outer space is child's play...
    It's all Here. Now.

sympathy for society
    Humans are a bit naive to think we are the "only" ones.. There is more space out there than we can comprehend, and we are the only ones? We have lots of illegal ones in my neck of the woods though...
    Last edited by sodak; 11-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

EMBA Member
    You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Name:  borg1.gif
Views: 879
Size:  87.3 KB

Ride More, Whine Less

Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?

I do. May question is whether I get to see it in my life.

pin it
    I believe ... we are not alone

Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?-the_truth_is_out_there_tagline.jpg

Good article furball
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

official eMpTyBRain
    Life is an incredibly delicate thing that requires absolutely perfect conditions in order to thrive. The other planets in our solar system are a perfect example of what cannot support (intelligent) life.

That said, if you consider just how many millions of other solar systems there are, it only makes sense to believe that there is life elsewhere. Intelligent life? Probably. It may be how we got here in the first place or at least how we learned some things. There is evidence to suggest that we have been visited in the not too distant past.

But, non-intelligent life? MOST DEFINITELY.

The odds of us being the only place in the universe with intelligent life are astronomical. The odds of us being the only place in the universe with any life at all is infinity-to-one (basically impossible).

BTW, the pole should include unintelligent life as well...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

help with the zip please
    That's the most intelligent thing anyone has ever said, I think you need to start considering the others.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If intelligent life from another world ever lands on Earth we will
    probably end up being their dinner.

Front Range, Colorado
    My head's about to explode thinking about the possibilities. I like to keep life simple and ponder what bike part to buy next.

Seriously though: Yes
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Do you think there is any other life on any other planets?

I think its more than likely. But intelligent life, by our definition of intelligence, that's probably a lot less likely. Really, its just incredible luck that we've gone so long without an extinction event like ended the jurassic, or a deep freeze like the cryogenian. And it will be another miracle if we last long enough to be noticed by other more intelligent life. We've only been making noise (emitting radio to space) for less than a hundred years. That's a blink of an eye.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Life is an incredibly delicate thing that requires absolutely perfect conditions in order to thrive. The other planets in our solar system are a perfect example of what cannot support (intelligent) life.
    I'd say organisms themselves are incredibly delicate. But life, on a general scale, is incredibly resilient and will adapt to the conditions which it's handed.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    I just saw an article that says "Astronomers reported that there could be as many as 40 billion habitable Earth-size planets in the galaxy" ... "One out of every five sunlike stars in the galaxy has a planet the size of Earth circling it in the Goldilocks zone not too hot, not too cold where surface temperatures should be compatible with liquid water, according to a herculean three-year calculation based on data from the Kepler spacecraft"

It seems inevitable that there is other intelligent life in the Universe. I wonder how far away they are. I wonder if we will ever discover them and communicate with them. I wonder what they would be like.

They could have technology thousands of years more advanced than ours. I wonder what kinds of machines and computers they would have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/sc...arth.html?_r=0
    Even going to the nearest star which is 4ly away is gonna take us several 1000 years with current technology, and even with really far out, not invented yet, and probably severl hundreds to thousand year away tech, it still going to take at least 1000 years or so to explore single starsystems in the nearest 100ly radius.

Either We figure out how to bend space, or we figure out how to break the speed of light, thats pretty much the only option to actually find other intelligent life I'm afraid. Or hey why not start with finding intelligent life here on earth first??

We have lots of radio telesecopes, optical telescopes and space based sensors but, we would not be able to to pick up our own signals if we were in the nearest solar system with the equipment we have have here today, its just too small and low sensitivity.

Basically the signals we actually can pick up are the most powerful ones in the entire universe, like when starts 100 times bigger than our sun explodes not too far from us.

And then we have the problem with our understanding of what we really live in, as it is right now we "somewhat" understand about 4% of the universe and what its actually made of, the rest is dark matter and dark energy, and those are unknown unknowns, and no one knows not even the slightest thing about any of them. And its highly unlikely we will find out anything about those without anyone smarter explaining it to us, its pretty much all wild theories that cannot be tested in any way, shape or form.

We don't even know how gravity works yet, so somehow modifying it or reversing it or possibly inverting the phase of it is pretty much not on the table in the next few years there i suppose.

I'm 101% certain there is intelligent life out there, our own galaxy is probably full of it, but i kinda doubt we will be going visiting them any time soon. We are a too self destructive, egoistic, and stupid race for that to happen. The majority of the people on the planet still think "god" created this.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

I'm your density
    I'm sure (without a bit of proof, sadly) that there is, was, or will be intelligent life out there.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    If intelligent life from another world ever lands on Earth we will
    probably end up being their dinner.
    You've been watching the Twilight Zone for too many years now.

"To Serve Man"

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I'd say organisms themselves are incredibly delicate. But life, on a general scale, is incredibly resilient and will adapt to the conditions which it's handed.
    More true than untrue, but not completely true, either.

sympathy for society
    Off to watch a weeks worth of Ancient Aliens!!!! ALIENS~~~ (it's my favorite, and only show I really watch)..... *we need an alien emotocon....
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Off to watch a weeks worth of Ancient Aliens!!!! ALIENS~~~ (it's my favorite, and only show I really watch)..... *we need an alien emotocon....
    That's a great show!!!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    More importantly -- is there intelligent life in Washington DC?

Newly elected government official have a mandatory surgery before being allowed to take office. They have their guts, their heart, and their spine removed, and their head and their ass are made interchangeable.
    So many trails... so little time...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast