Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ~ B A D A S S ~

Do you own or have owned a high end watch?

Tell me about it. I was planning on buying an Omega speedmaster, this particular one in fact
    Do you own or have owned a high end watch?-32110425002001-20.png

But then I started to look around on the web and found a shitload of even more badass ones, and I even expanded my budget to like 10k. I mean I buy watches extremely seldom and I intend to keep it for 1 lifetime so money per year is quite cheap anyway.
    The problem i have now is in decieding on if I want a stylish and masculine "midrange" more or less massproduction non inhouse movement chronograph with lots of buttons and dials or something ultra discreet that "looks like a seiko for 200" but extremely exclusive such as

Do you own or have owned a high end watch?-master-jlc-1548420.pngName:  5227G_001.png
Views: 422
Size:  123.1 KB

or something unique and weird looking but from a good brand such as
    (fuk these fuking flash based crap sites.. everything flash. really??)
    IWC Schaffhausen | Fine Timepieces From Switzerland | Collection | Da Vinci Family | Da Vinci Chronograph
    Monaco Calibre 12 LSAutomatic Chronograph40.5 mm Black Steel bracelet | TAG Heuer

Unfortunately I can't buy them all, so i pretty much have to choose one and be happy with it.

And now I wonder, is it worth the extra money to get a top brand (makes everything inhouse), or is the percieved quailty the same as with the "budget brands" such as omega/tag heuer/breitling and similar? I'm talking materials, execution and finish, durability and feel and such.

What brands and models do you like?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

human dehumidifier
    A $10,000 watch? Why you're crazier than those people who spend thousands on a bike!
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member

I had one of those cool calculator watches when I was a kid. I was the coolest kid in my fourth grade class.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    My iPod Touch 5th Generation works pretty well at keeping time. Glass and aluminum, but with a matte finish. Pretty nice-looking, but I have a silicon skin on it so that it doesn't break when I drop it. Still looking at strap options so I can put in on my wrist.

Oh, and it takes pretty nice photos.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    don't you have a cell phone to tell the time?

look down in the lower left of this screen... the time is right there !
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    My iPod Touch 5th Generation works pretty well at keeping time. Glass and aluminum, but with a matte finish. Pretty nice-looking, but I have a silicon skin on it so that it doesn't break when I drop it. Still looking at strap options so I can put in on my wrist.

Oh, and it takes pretty nice photos.
    I have a sony phone/camera/videocamera/gps/playstation/watch/musicplayer/movieplayer/computer/compass/flashlight/calendar/calculator/moneyconverter

I'm not very impressed with it even though its waterproof.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I have a sony phone/camera/videocamera/gps/playstation/watch/musicplayer/movieplayer/computer/compass/flashlight/calendar/calculator/moneyconverter

I'm not very impressed with it even though its waterproof.
    Well there's your problem. It's not an Apple product.

I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    don't you have a cell phone to tell the time?

look down in the lower left of this screen... the time is right there !
    To be honest I don't really care about what time it is. ever

Specialized sucks ass.

pin it
    I haven't owned a watch in over 10 years... I don't miss it. In the past watches were more functional than a luxury.
    The watches you posted look nice and are pricey brands. If I had to chose I'd pick the Patek (it has a nice uncomplicated face) The Tag Heuer looks like the dashboard of a fancy car.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Flaccid Member
    Timex is my most expensive piece of jewelery, or is it a Casio. Whatever, it works.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    A $10,000 watch? Why you're crazier than those people who spend thousands on a bike!
    I would prefer to spend less than 8, or less than 5,5k to be honest (as the initial omega) if possible.

Specialized sucks ass.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I haven't owned a watch in over 10 years
    I've seen you post that before ... how do you take vitals, nurse?

My wife always has to have a large face watch with a second hand because she's a nurse too.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

duh
    The best watch that i have owned is the casio gshock with solar battery and atomic time keeping. It has lasted 7 years and gone through the wringer more then a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

~ B A D A S S ~
    gshocks are unsexy

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member

Re: Do you own or have owned a high end watch?

I own a Tag Heuer Link Calibre 6 w/ automatic mech ($2k), Tag Formula One ($1k) and a Suunto Core ($400). The link was a wedding present from my awesome wife and the formula was a gift from my parents when I graduated with my BA. The Suunto is the only one I purchased because I wanted a good abc watch for outdoor pursuits. The formula is my daily driver during the school year and I wear the link when I wear a suit. Nice watches are like king hubs you don't really need them but once you have them you would never downgrade. Honestly though I don't know if I could spend 8k on a watch when the 2-3k models nearly as great.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    (Spin around in my chair) "Hey Gary, what time is it?"
    Gary replies, "it's 3:56... almost time to go."

Didn't cost me dime.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I had one of those cool calculator watches when I was a kid. I was the coolest kid in my fourth grade class.
    Guy at work still wears one.

~ B A D A S S ~
    bigkat. yeah thats the question, how nice are the 2-6k range watches. A guy at work has a link that displays the day in letters, and it looks really nice, I just haven't tried it so I wouldn't know how nice. The rest of the people at work have omega constellations, but I find those watches to be too ugly for me to wear unfortunately even though they seem to be of good quality mechanically speaking.

anyway I'm not buying anything until christmas and before that I'm gonna go to a few stores that sell all the good brands, they have the top 15 brands for me to try out. I just wanted some input before that.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I own a Tag Heuer Link Calibre 6 w/ automatic mech ($2k), Tag Formula One ($1k) and a Suunto Core ($400).
    Wow. How 1% of you.

Honestly, I love the styling of the Tags,
    If I were a 1%er like you I would own them too.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

~ B A D A S S ~
    you want to be in a criminal bikergang?

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a Tissot V8 that I wear so infrequently, it never has the correct time. (it's one that winds itself while you're walking)
    I love the watch, but am always too afraid to ruin it that I hardly wear it!!

b a n n e d
    I have a Tag Heuer Calibre 16 like this:

Name:  Tag-Heuer-Carrera-Calibre-16-Day-Date-5.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  40.0 KB

It's an excellent watch and in the $4-5K range. For a daily-worn watch, its great. One thing to think about - given that you sound like you'll wear this watch daily - is how will you feel when it gets dinged or scratched, because it WILL get dinged and scratched.

Personally, I don't care about in-house vs. outsourced movements, though the in-house adds substantially to the price. Basically any watch you buy from the major brands is going to be reliable, accurate and last much, much longer than you will (if cared for properly) - which leads to another point.

Mechanical watches need to be serviced ~every 2 years. Getting your run-of-the-mill Tag, Rolex or Omega serviced is like a $600 job from a GOOD shop who will service it in-house. Good luck getting a Patek serviced for that price (unless they include service with purchase - if they do, DEFINITELY factor that into the relative value of the watch, because it adds up).

Couple other things to think about . . . whatever you get, make sure you go straight from the jeweler where you bought it to your insurance agent, before you even put it on. You will DEFINITELY need to schedule it on your policy, its not cheap, and be prepared to get asked a lot of questions and prove authenticity.

Personally, I'd never want anything more than what I have now for a daily wearer. Tag make excellent watches, as does Omega. Rolex - IMO - are really nice too, but I don't see the added value for the price.

Edit: I should also add that I use the chronograph on my watch regularly as part of my work. If you don't think you'll use it, I'd not get it as it complicates the internal movement (i.e., jacks up the service costs).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I've seen you post that before ... how do you take vitals, nurse?
    One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi........

~ B A D A S S ~
    ryantrek

The next watch I'm getting will be my beater. I'm restoring my old one to new condition and then i won't wear it anymore because its getting old and I want to keep it in as new condition for the rest of eternity. This next one I will wear every day no matter what, if it breaks it breaks, then i repair it. If its expensive it should be able to handle everyday use for at least 10-15 years otherwise its sh1t imo.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member

Re: Do you own or have owned a high end watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Wow. How 1% of you.

Honestly, I love the styling of the Tags,
    If I were a 1%er like you I would own them too.
    Lol I'm probably the only 1%er driving a 10 year old subaru. Honestly though if I hadn't received the watches as gifts I probably would only own the Suunto.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast