Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MTB, Road, Commuting

Do all Blu-ray players suck or is it just the ones I buy.

Half Rant, Half serious question.

I'm on my second player with multiple software upgrades to both. The discs look nice and clean but they still stop playing, the sounds cuts out. Blah Blah, Blah. When that happens I check for a software update which is a PITA because the internet connectivity of my most recent player sh1t the bed too. (We're only talking a few months old here, just long enough to be out of it's oh so long 90 day warranty) And sure enough I need to update it. Sometimes it fixes the problem and sometimes it only improves it

I'm starting to think DVD is good enough. They can't all be this bad of the format would have already died.

If anybody has had really good luck with a player post it here. I've tried Panasonic and Samsung - not recommended.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought a Vizio w/built in wi-fi and apps a couple years ago and it hasn't failed me yet. But to be honest we rarely use it for discs, more for the Netflix and other apps. And since I really don't do the tech savvy thing a whole lot, I don't think I've ever updated the software on it, yet it still works.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Heard oppo was good. But I agree, ever since they came out with "smart" tv--that is all the built in wi-fi cr%p, the players have got SUPER-LIGHT and seem to be super sensitive. The good old play station 3 hasn't failed to play a blu ray yet.

IME, all blu-ray players are WAY more sensitive to dirt/dust on the lens than the old DVD players. Do yourself a favor and get one of those cleaner discs with the brushes on it to get dust off of your pickup lens. I don't play movies in mine very often (most of my movies are had via streaming these days), so when I do, I usually have to run the cleaner disc in it for several minutes.

I am sure that the climate and condition of your house makes a difference in how fast dust collects on the lens, too. Lots of dust in TX gave my blu-ray player fits, even though my wife and I keep a pretty clean house. My parents do NOT keep a clean house, but live in a far less dry/dusty climate, and they never have problems, and they have the same model of blu-ray player that I do.

mtbr member
    Never had a problem with mine, but I was an early adopter and paid about 300-400 for mine and it's a Panasonic.

If I understand right, they are basically a computer and load the information off your disc like the Playstation onto a hard drive of sorts. If your player can't handle the upload, it crashes. Sometimes I have to put a memory card in as some discs have more memory than my old player can handle.

Mine is just a player..nothing fancy since the technology didn't exist. Never had a problem with my region-free DVD player either and it's probably 6-7 years old.

I'm a hard copy person with Blu-rays/DVDs and CDs. Old school I guess. I tried Netflix, but wasn't that impressed.

Have you gone online and looked for some reviews of your player to see if it's a common problem?

GO JIMMIE!!
    Ever try a Sony? Figure they would be the best since they pioneered the technology.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've had 3 Blu Ray players. I had an early Sony. It was over $500 yet the loading mechanism failed after just a couple of years. I bought a $100 Panasonic. It works but is buggy and is very dust sensitive. My best player is an Oppo at $1000. It is an audiophile grade multi-format player. It has been fast and reliable with occasional cleanings.

A friend has a Panasonic that was $200. It has worked well for him.

Some of the new stuff is priced like the junk that it is. But functionality is suffering in these cheapo players the way it didn't with DVD.

GO JIMMIE!!
    thousand bucks for a Blu Ray player? Really?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    thousand bucks for a Blu Ray player? Really?
    same as multi-thousands for a bike. better buit, performing machines cost $$$$.95 (lol)

mtbr member
    Sounds like a nice player Mike. Sometimes it's well worth the investment for nicer electronics.

Welcome to MTBR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Sounds like a nice player Mike. Sometimes it's well worth the investment for nicer electronics.

Welcome to MTBR.
    Thanks. Good to be here.

GO JIMMIE!!
    same as multi-thousands for a bike. better buit, performing machines cost $$$$.95 (lol)
    I disagree. I have ridden low end bikes that ride better than anything more expensive that I have owned. Same for electronics. My low end stuff has lasted longer than name brand yet I haven't tried Blu Ray yet as we haven't started doing the whole HD thing yet. DVD is fine for us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I disagree. I have ridden low end bikes that ride better than anything more expensive that I have owned. Same for electronics. My low end stuff has lasted longer than name brand yet I haven't tried Blu Ray yet as we haven't started doing the whole HD thing yet. DVD is fine for us.
    Yeah, I've had some really good inexpensive products; ones that just always work.

I think it's more like a trend. There are good and bad at nearly any price point. But the good just becomes more dominant at higher ones. So the trick becomes finding these bargains. Ironically, Oppo players are exactly that. The exact same player with a different faceplate and name brand was selling for several thousand more.

Still, if you aren't an audiophile, you can skip all of the fancy (and mostly superfluous) DACs and get an Oppo player that functions just as well for $500. But in a marketplace jammed with $100 players, even $500 is a hard sell.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    So the answer is mostly yes. Unless you want to drop the big bucks it's hit or miss. My first player was a Panasonic in the $250 range. I took it apart and cleaned the laser off but it wasn't dusty. The Samsung player is mostly new. The latest disk was pristine. ("Behind Enemy Lines") But there were Two 5 minute sections that just wouldn't play. The rest was fine.

I may just start renting DVDs again. I'm willing to take the quality hit instead of getting halfway through a disk and having it crap out.

GO JIMMIE!!
    Still, if you aren't an audiophile, you can skip all of the fancy (and mostly superfluous) DACs and get an Oppo player that functions just as well for $500. But in a marketplace jammed with $100 players, even $500 is a hard sell.
    I'll stick to $50 dollar Blu Ray players if we ever go that direction. I think we will stick to DVDs until they quit making them.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Buy a PS3. Problem solved.

No other Blu-Ray player has that many "other features", network connectivity, and constant firmware updates.

-S

mtbr member
    Just checked online for glitches for your movie..doesn't appear to be any. Some discs are faulty and if the manufacturer knows about it, they'll replace it. For example the "Crank 2" disc took up more memory than a lot of the players could handle. They didn't replace the disc, but you had to put a memory card in so the player could read the disc.

Double sided discs are the worst and have the most problems. If something is double sided, I won't buy it. Universal Studios still hasn't figured out no one wants that format and are always replacing faulty discs.

I'm still waiting for my "Highlander" 4,5 and 6 blu-rays that should have come out a couple of years ago because the studio is inept.

The problem with a lot of lower end electronics is that they are considered "throw away" devices. Even a 200 dollar player can be considered "throw away" which sucks because for most of us, that's a lot of money.

There is nothing wrong with DVDs and if that's your thing, no biggie. They aren't going anywhere. On some movies you can't tell a difference between the DVD and Blu-ray and on others you can. If you don't have an HD TV you won't notice anyway.

I've never needed high end stuff although I can appreciate the sound and visual qualities of them. If I could make a movie theater room somewhere in my house I would. Then I would pay for the higher end equipment.

GO JIMMIE!!
    There is nothing wrong with DVDs and if that's your thing, no biggie. They aren't going anywhere. On some movies you can't tell a difference between the DVD and Blu-ray and on others you can. If you don't have an HD TV you won't notice anyway.
    The problem for me is I have seen several movies in HD and I just don't see the difference. Same thing with HD TV programming. Guess I'm one of those few that can't see a difference. Maybe it's all a market ploy to make more money.

banned
    Sep 2012
    The problem for me is I have seen several movies in HD and I just don't see the difference. Same thing with HD TV programming. Guess I'm one of those few that can't see a difference. Maybe it's all a market ploy to make more money.
    A big part of it is the TV..... a good store will let you futz with the TV settings instead of the "Bright and Dazzling" store demo setting that most store TVs are set on. It's a marketing thing - the brightest, highest contrast, most colorful TV's get the attention when set alongside other TV's but these same settings are awful to watch a movie in, especially in a home-theater setting.

TV calibration is also important. Sony-published blu-ray discs (i.e. Sony/Columbia pictures) come with a built in calibration tool. When the main disc menu comes up when the disc is inserted into the player, press 7669 (i.e. SONY) on the remote and it will launch the calibration screen "easter egg". Adjust the TV settings for the best contrast, tint/hue, etc and you will see a marked improvement in picture quality during playback.

...when it comes to hanging, random stopped playback, etc, I have never experienced any of those issues watching blu-ray movies on the PS3.

-S

There is a marked difference whether you can tell or not. You see it but are unable to discern it.

Also, a given screen size has an optimal resolution and viewing distance. Discerning the difference between resolutions becomes difficult to impossible outside those optimal ranges.

mtbr member
    For those that can tell, it's there. Picked up the Bond set recently and the picture quality is absolutely fantastic for those films. Some of the WWII movies that have come out amazing as well. They need to restore more of those old WWII films before they are lost.

Movies/TV shoes done on video like "Star Trek: The Next Generation" don't translate over to blu-ray very well as they weren't done on film.

PS3 is probably the best to go if you your players are acting like crap.

DVDs are fine if you aren't interested in blu-rays. Most of my TV shows and shows from overseas are in DVD format as they are in PAL format instead of NTSC.

Yeah..I like movies and TV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Buy a PS3. Problem solved.

No other Blu-Ray player has that many "other features", network connectivity, and constant firmware updates.

-S
    +1

Best bluray player on the market.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    +1

Best bluray player on the market.
    My ps3 is 5 years old and has never failed to play a disc. I've never run a disc cleaner through it, and it even upgraded itself to play 3d blu-rays and games. I can also just put the SD card from my camera right in it to check out pictures on the big screen. You can even put CDs in and rip them right to the hard drive to use as an mp3 player for your stereo, or copy them to your phone over USB. It's awesome. Oh yeah, you can play games on it too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

GO JIMMIE!!
    Movies/TV shoes done on video like "Star Trek: The Next Generation" don't translate over to blu-ray very well as they weren't done on film.
    Give those Star Trek guys some credit. They are doing a great job restoring the old episodes. I can't wait till DS9 comes out in HD. Maybe then I will get a Blu Ray player.

mtbr member
    I'm not buying in on the Blue-Ray stuff.. I have the LED tv to support the format...the DVD is good enough for us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast