Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 105
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644

    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars

    Anyone else a diesel enthusiast?
    I'm more specifically a Duramax guy, but I wouldn't turn down a Cummins. You can keep your powerstrokes though...
    Much love for diesel cars too. VW was definitely smart for geting their diesel cars in the US market the last few years.
    With the overseas group on this forum, I hope to see some diesel Hilux or Mahindra's, maybe some Toyota Land Cruisers. Post em up.

    This is my truck. 2008 GMC, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts. EFI Live tuning by the best in the business, Rob Coddens. I've only had it at the dragstrip once, and ran a 15.2 at 90mph. That was at about 3K unadjusted above sea level.



    It's not a one trick pony though. I will tow with it. That's 3 pallets of yard brick, total about 11K lbs with no trailer brake on that trailer. I don't have any pics right now of it off the beaten path, but it will go there too.

  2. #2
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    This is as close as it gets to a photo of my Ram CTD. I bought it because I decided that I never wanted to buy another vehicle as long as I lived. It's holding up pretty good in that respect. It had 50k miles on it when bought it about 10 years ago, has 80 on it now. I hardly ever drive it unless it's necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-dscn0247.jpg  

    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    2008 F450 King Ranch 4x4 Crew Cab 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel with 109K parked at the Hermosa Creek trailhead. My 2006 F350 dually with a 6.0 powerstroke with 125K was much more reliable compared to the 6.4 as much as I don't want a truck payment I'm beginning to look at the 11' F350 6.7 powerstrokes...I'm not a chevy man and dodges are flat out ugly compared to the Ford superdutys.

    Last edited by HAL 9000; 11-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,528
    Not a diesel, but can I play? 2004 F-150 w/5.4

    couple pix:




    Album on photobucket
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    Hal, your 6.0 has been more reliable then your 6.4? Most Ford guys can't say that.

    WVBob, if the rest of the truck looks as clean as the bed, it must be in amazing shape. Those older common rails are nice engines and easy to tinker with.

    net wurker, I would give you more credit if it was at least the Ecoboost cuz that has a turbo on it. Seeing the underside, it sure does look like you maintain it well and keep it clean.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    202
    Dmax/VW guy too. Got an 08 Chevy. This is the only pic I have of her on this computer, I've added 18"wheels and DFP back exhaust (will update photo when I get home). Only tow heavy a couple time a year anymore, but it makes a fine bike race/event vehicle. Can fit 8 bikes in/on it and 5 adults and gear. Just bought a new DD, so I only drive it when I need it.

    Had an 02 VW Jetta that was just getting broken in at 185k when the wife got ran off the road, cracked block and trans case. Have a GTI now that is twice the fun, but half the MPG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    My former truck ... [sniff, sniff]. '06 LBZ Duramax. Best vehicle I ever owned, and my co-favorite (tied for first with my (also former) '79 CJ-7. Used it to tow the travel trailer and for general adventuring, biking, and exploring. Here he is doing what he did best:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-facebook_-967110641.jpg  

    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-facebook_-1245153261.jpg  

    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    pwork , you should have went turbo back instead of DPF back (unless you still have a warranty). My dpf no longer exists. I see you are on dieselplace. I've joined up there, but rarely visit. Usually over on DuramaxForum.

    Tystevens, what happened to your LBZ? I learned to love the NBS, which is why I went with the LMM, or I would have gotten into an LBZ. I started with an 05 LLY.

  9. #9
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    WVBob, if the rest of the truck looks as clean as the bed, it must be in amazing shape. Those older common rails are nice engines and easy to tinker with.
    Pictures are misleading. I may have washed the truck twice since I've had it. When I replaced the tires, they had that blue stuff on the white letters for a couple years. Heck, it had moss growing on it in places this summer but I think it all died when I moved it out front so it's in full sun instead of in the shade by my garage.

    Like I said, I don't drive it much, mostly on highway trips and back and forth to the trail head. No doubt that's harder on it than mile after mile day after day would be.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    What, no Porsche Cayenne TDI love yet? How about some Touareg Love? 406 ft lbs of torque. 3 liter motor.







    St George /Hurricane, UT Passat TDI & the WFO.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Hal, your 6.0 has been more reliable then your 6.4? Most Ford guys can't say that.
    Since October... $992 blown out fuel injector $2850 cracked timing case, 4x4 seals replaced, and leaking rear differential. It needs two new tires = $660 for the 19.5 wheels it's quickly turning into a money pit.

    The whole exhaust scrubber kills any decent mileage. I need to purchase a car for a daily driver and put the truck in the storage lot with the camper till I the 2011's come down in price from the high $40K

    The 6.0 had issues also but not on the scale and cost as i've had to deal with with this truck and i really don't need a 1.5 ton truck.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Tystevens, what happened to your LBZ? I learned to love the NBS, which is why I went with the LMM, or I would have gotten into an LBZ. I started with an 05 LLY.
    Family has become too big to use the truck for its intended purpose. So we sold the truck, and are in the market for a 3/4 ton Suburban for next year's camping and adventures.

    I bought the LBZ back in '08. Never was much of a fan of that body style to tell you the truth -- the LLM and newer look far better IMO. A bunch of my relatives drive Cummins Dodges, and I've always loved the look of the Superduty, so I always figured I'd buy one of those. But one extended test drive in a Duramax, and that silky smooth LBZ drivetrain had me sold. Back in '08, there was so much chatter about the dpf issues, making oil, all of that (most of which has turned out to be just that -- chatter --at least with the Duramax), I didn't even consider an LLM -- I went with the more tried and true LBZ.

    Wasn't a bad investment, to tell you the truth. I drove it for 4 years and 55k miles, and sold it for $1500 less than I paid for it back in '08. Being a 100% stock, untampered-with , very clean truck, it was a highly sought after vehicle. I had calls on it from all over the West Coast from LBZ die-hards.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  13. #13
    Ho'lier than thou
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,706
    I'm pretty sure I got you all beat in torque department. C15 in my Kenworth cranks out 1850 lb-ft.

    F250 is not mine. It has an interesting engine swap (Detroit V12 and hair dryers). He went about 205 mph at October event at Bonneville salt flats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-hmmwvs.jpg  

    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-art-dick.jpg  

    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-v12-detroit.jpg  


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    440


    My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury.
    Just bought my 04 jetta on Saturday and it is my first diesel. Been wanting one to play with for awhile. Should make a good dog and mtn bike hauler.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post


    My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury.
    Just bought my 04 jetta on Saturday and it is my first diesel. Been wanting one to play with for awhile. Should make a good dog and mtn bike hauler.
    Great little cars. Particularly with that '04, you should be able to break 50 mpg with that baby. We have a few of them in the extended family. If I commuted more than 10 miles to work, I'd definitely have one in the driveway.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    Katz, I know a couple light duty trucks that are right there with you on torque.... Just not mine.
    That old detroit sitting in that ferd is awesome. Those engines are tough as nails.

    Tystevens, would a crew cab work in place of a Suburban? If you need the burb, you should look into DuraBurbs. They are kinda pricey, which is why I don't have one yet, but they are awesome.

    Nice to see some import diesels. Now if only the EPA would back off a little and let more get imported. Or at least not make it so hard for the domestic manufacturers to get approval and sell them here instead of shipping them overseas after making them here.

  17. #17
    Ho'lier than thou
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury..
    Is this the same diesel in late-model VW bugs? I was reading a magazine called Grassroots Motorsports a few years ago, and there was an article of a new bug with diesel engine. The owner modified it and managed to get 420 lb-ft of torque out of that engine!

    I'd be all over a TDI Jetta if VW made them in rear wheel drive (just my preference).

  18. #18
    Ho'lier than thou
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Katz, I know a couple light duty trucks that are right there with you on torque.... Just not mine.
    That old detroit sitting in that ferd is awesome. Those engines are tough as nails.
    Today's light/medium duty diesel engines are simply amazing. I'm starting to see a lot of guys in 1~1.25 ton dually trucks with DOT numbers pulling lighter freight right along side us.

    There was a guy named Carl Heap, and he had a streamlined old International fire truck with a V16 Detroit with 4 turbos and a couple of superchargers. I sh!t you not, he ran 270~280 mph back in 2003 or 04. Unfortunately, he passed away the following year and the truck hasn't been back to Bonneville. I was fortunate enough to witness his record run.

    Here's a pic, and the link to the history of the truck, named Phoenix.



    Ugo Fadini LSR Models - The Phoenix, the story

    EDIT: The page was written a few years ago and haven't been updated. The fastest diesel powered vehicle now is JCB streamliner at 350+mph (I think).
    Last edited by Katz; 11-20-2012 at 06:47 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    960
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460549.270571.jpg

    Here is my work truck and my project truck. Getting a CR cummins. Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460638.040597.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460668.697275.jpg

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    960
    This is from the last test n tune. Blown boot at the end. This is in my 10k lb black f450. And I had 700lbs of fuel in my external. Roughly a 14.2-3 1/4mile time. Blew away some old school Fellas

    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460809.091391.jpg

  21. #21
    DaFaJa
    Reputation: Corbinworks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    241
    Not mine, Guy I ride with & good friend..of 15+ years
    240sx / 4BT Cummins



    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

  22. #22
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    What type of real world mileage do you Duramax folks get? I'll be replacing my 1500 Silverado in a year or so and I have wanted the Duramax / Allison combo ever since I bought my truck.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?
    Shouldn't you be doing hippy things?? just kidding'


    I love my diesels but I hate the community. Far too many stupid people. We are the new ricers I'm afraid

  25. #25
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    certainly you've heard of the "rodeo du camion:

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/et9n2g9HHtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    Edit: It's obviously a drag race - UPHILL pinned to 100 000 lbs.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  26. #26
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    another one - peep the massive torque off the start for the guy in the right lane. This also gives a better idea of the load they're hauling too.

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pUVEH7AoEnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?
    I pull plate numbers and call them in to CARB on my cell phone when I see children blowing any soot from any diese pickup, TDI, what ever. There's no room for that crap in my lungs or anyone else's in the air that we all breathe. Punks delete their EGR because they don't want their motor breathing in that crap, so why should they let it out the exhaust for the rest of us to breathe, unfiltered. If you want unfiltered, go smoke a Camel, or roll yourself some Drum,

    Simply no reason for it on an on the road vehicle, and proof it's been tampered with with chip work, DPF's and DEF convertors removed with an illegal exhaust system that is not 50 state or DOT approved.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I pull plate numbers and call them in to CARB on my cell phone when I see children blowing any soot from any diese pickup, TDI, what ever. There's no room for that crap in my lungs or anyone else's in the air that we all breathe. Punks delete their EGR because they don't want their motor breathing in that crap, so why should they let it out the exhaust for the rest of us to breathe, unfiltered. If you want unfiltered, go smoke a Camel, or roll yourself some Drum,

    Simply no reason for it on an on the road vehicle, and proof it's been tampered with with chip work, DPF's and DEF convertors removed with an illegal exhaust system that is not 50 state or DOT approved.
    Oh my god. I hope your not serious. That is just as silly as blowing smoke.

    Please tell me you know that a gas engine puts out more damaging emissions than a diesel engine.

    Deleting the DPF and using aftermarket tuning actually reduces emissions vs a factory set up.

    The black smoke is terrible. I can't deny that but calling the EPA or related agency is crazy talk.

  29. #29
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    We were talking at work recently about a study just released that claimed that particulates in Diesel exhaust are HIGHLY carcinogenic even in small amounts.


    This is was because there are a few mechanics in the shop that like to run trucks without the exhaust system hoses hooked up (or working).
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    We were talking at work recently about a study just released that claimed that particulates in Diesel exhaust are HIGHLY carcinogenic even in small amounts.


    This is was because there are a few mechanics in the shop that like to run trucks without the exhaust system hoses hooked up (or working).
    It's in all exhaust haha. Would you breath any engine exhaust??

    I certainly wouldn't.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Great little cars. Particularly with that '04, you should be able to break 50 mpg with that baby. We have a few of them in the extended family. If I commuted more than 10 miles to work, I'd definitely have one in the driveway.
    It is an automatic bleh but for the price I paid I couldn't pass it up. If it was a stick I might get close to 50mpg but with the auto I'll be happy with anything over 40mpg. So far I'm averaging right around 38mpg over 130 miles and pulling just over 40mpg at 70mph on the interstate.

    Katz yeah with mods like any diesel you can make some serious torque with these but it cost money. You can get a nice bump with just a tune for a couple hundred but with 215k miles all ready on my car I don't want to stress the trans. I have a miata for RWD fun so I understand where you are coming from there. You could always go for an 80s mercedes wagon diesel. I was looking for one of those too but they are either in good shape and very expensive or cheap and beat to death when you can find them at all.

  32. #32
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    It's in all exhaust haha. Would you breath any engine exhaust??

    I certainly wouldn't.
    All I was referring to was that you stated that gas burning engines put out more damaging emissions than diesels and my point was that diesel emissions though different, are still just as "damaging."
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EmbraceTheHate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    520
    My old truck

    01 dodge did a few things to it. Ran 13.6 1/4 mile on slicks.
    Was in the 09 june issue of diesel power.

    Was alot of fun and alot of money. Once me and my ex split i sold it to many memories.





    sent from my galaxy tab 2
    Last edited by EmbraceTheHate; 11-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,665
    No pics of mine. 99 Dodge 2500 4x4.
    I work for a Cummins distributor. I work on the big diesels all day long. We have engineers that can write their own calibrations, so, naturally, I'm not running stock tunes.
    ATS transmission to handle the torque with triple disc converter, billet shafts, ATS valve body and ATS Co-Pilot. I run through all gear shifts with the converter locked. I used to tow my rock crawler over Donner Summit at 70mph in 4th range with no exhaust temp issues.

    One of the benefits of my job is working with factory engineers. Sometimes they come out to try field test calibrations in real world trucks. I worked with one a couple months ago. Logging truck that was not making the right power. We spent all day on the dyno, testing different calibrations. At one point, we took it all the way to the extreme. At 800hp and nearly 2500ft/lbs of torque, the front end started lifting up during the dyno run and the clutch was slipping. That also took about a 1/4" of tread off of the drive tires.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EmbraceTheHate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    520
    Sorry guys trying to figure out my new tablet.

    Anyways heres some more pics of my old truck

    I did everything myself on it

    Heres the setup
    Quadzilla adrenaline
    Raptor 150 with 1/2 lines
    Built trans with lock up switch and billet single disc converter
    5" exhaust
    Cai
    Home made traction bars
    Mach 6 injectors
    Silver 64
    Theme was plum crazy like the old mopar cars

    sent from my galaxy tab 2

  36. #36
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,346
    dig these trucks...

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cl11QFAvEeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Dakar trucks are amazing. Go Tatra!

    Action starts at 2:00, cool drift ~4:00

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cyObY8JPwFo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I love my diesels but I hate the community. Far too many stupid people. We are the new ricers I'm afraid
    Sadly this is true. Sorry Cummins guys, but it's your folks that are the worst. I don't hate the community, but it is definitely turning ricer like.

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I pull plate numbers and call them in to CARB on my cell phone when I see children blowing any soot from any diese pickup, TDI, what ever. There's no room for that crap in my lungs or anyone else's in the air that we all breathe. Punks delete their EGR because they don't want their motor breathing in that crap, so why should they let it out the exhaust for the rest of us to breathe, unfiltered. If you want unfiltered, go smoke a Camel, or roll yourself some Drum,

    Simply no reason for it on an on the road vehicle, and proof it's been tampered with with chip work, DPF's and DEF convertors removed with an illegal exhaust system that is not 50 state or DOT approved.
    That's ridiclous. Soot from diesel is going to happen, period. If they are blacking out the street, go ahead and report em. But if you are calling in any diesel with a puff of smoke, you won't be able to get anything else accomplished throughout the day. And it's not just "punks" and "children" that delete their EGR. Getting rid of that dumb ass invention is better then having it connected and working. Like jkidd pointed out, having the EGR/DPF removed makes our trucks more emissions friendly. Those were added to trucks to make the appearance of diesel exhaust go away. What they did was cause engines to be less fuel efficient and wear down prematurely.


    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    All I was referring to was that you stated that gas burning engines put out more damaging emissions than diesels and my point was that diesel emissions though different, are still just as "damaging."
    You have a valid point. Diesel contains NoX, which is carcinogenic. But it's not like it pours out in Chernobyl melt down amounts. That is why newer trucks now have the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Urea) setup on them, to trap that NoX.
    But overall, the majority of diesel exhaust falls back to the earth as harmless soot. Whereas gas engine emissions are what cause the smog you see over big cities.

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    It's in all exhaust haha. Would you breath any engine exhaust??

    I certainly wouldn't.
    Don't you do that to some extent when you drive behind someone?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I'm pretty sure I got you all beat in torque department. C15 in my Kenworth cranks out 1850 lb-ft.

    .
    Don't underestimate the F450 and just 650 lb-ft

    Mine has never seen a hard days work in it's life tho' It's almost like having a GT 500 and never going over the speed limit

    FORD F450 vs. PETERBILT TRACTOR AND TRAILER - YouTube

    F450 PULLIN MULTI TON TRAIN,COAL CAR - YouTube

    Ford F450 pulls - YouTube

    Ford F450 pulls Firetruck out of hole during Hurricane - YouTube

    Tanner Foust drifting Ford Super Duty F450 - YouTube

  41. #41
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Makin' smoke ... and a mess down both sides of that '55
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-reo-too-cool.jpg  

    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Le Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post


    You have a valid point. Diesel contains NoX, which is carcinogenic. But it's not like it pours out in Chernobyl melt down amounts. That is why newer trucks now have the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Urea) setup on them, to trap that NoX.
    But overall, the majority of diesel exhaust falls back to the earth as harmless soot. Whereas gas engine emissions are what cause the smog you see over big cities.
    I'd like to preface this by saying, I'm a diesel guy. We have a TDI jetta that I absolutely love. I think we'd be much better off if there were more diesel cars in the US.

    That being said....the soot is actually the part that causes the biggest issue for human lungs. The micro and macro particulate matter that you breath in adheres to the lining of your lung, which grows nodules around it....and so the process begins.

    petrol or diesel, you're exhausting bad stuff....but when a big cloud of black smoke blows out the back of a truck...it's EXTREMELY bad for you to breath. That is a fact.

    I love my TDI, but I don't have any problems with someone complaining about clouds of smoke billowing out of my car, or big trucks (though my car doesn't billow smoke).

  43. #43
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post
    I'd like to preface this by saying, I'm a diesel guy. We have a TDI jetta that I absolutely love. I think we'd be much better off if there were more diesel cars in the US.

    That being said....the soot is actually the part that causes the biggest issue for human lungs. The micro and macro particulate matter that you breath in adheres to the lining of your lung, which grows nodules around it....and so the process begins.

    petrol or diesel, you're exhausting bad stuff....but when a big cloud of black smoke blows out the back of a truck...it's EXTREMELY bad for you to breath. That is a fact.

    I love my TDI, but I don't have any problems with someone complaining about clouds of smoke billowing out of my car, or big trucks (though my car doesn't billow smoke).
    I have an Audi A-3 TDI, love it. I get 42-45 mpg around town and 39 mpg doing 85mph on the freeway. Most cars in Europe are diesel, except diesel is called gasoline there. I totally agree with you on more availability here in the US.

  44. #44
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    And it's not just "punks" and "children" that delete their EGR. Getting rid of that dumb ass invention is better then having it connected and working.
    Yeah - people need not kid themselves. The EGR delete on the 6.0 powersmoke isn't to improve performance or help with the emissions, it's to delete the EGR cooler and save themselves moderately expensive repairs every couple of years.I'm a mechanic for a fleet of vehicles with 6.0 liter Powersmokes and I've replaced many a head bolt and headgaskets because the EGR cooler is such a piece of crap. Ford used fairly weak torque to yield headbolts on that engine and a leaking EGR cooler releases hot exhaust into the coolant, counteracting it's ability to "cool" causing all sorts of problems with the weak bolts and the headgaskets, but if ignored long enough it'll possibly even warp the head. Unfortunately by the time the driver sees the white puff out the tailpipe and smells the "diesel fumes" in the cab, the expensive damage is already done.

    The generally accepted "fix" for this is to delete the EGR and cooler but here where we are, we cannot(by law) remove or modify any emission related components so Ford basically told us to replace the chintzy bolt/stud combo they used and use ARP bolts that have a much higher TTY spec and dump obscene amounts of cetane booster into the fuel tanks.... It hasn`t `fixed` the problem per sŤ, but it has increased the amount of time in between the repairs.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  45. #45
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post
    petrol or diesel, you're exhausting bad stuff....but when a big cloud of black smoke blows out the back of a truck...it's EXTREMELY bad for you to breath. That is a fact.
    This is a good point. The bottom line is that they are both 'bad' for our health. It's just that the main "culprit" in diesel exhaust would be the particulates which bears a long term health effect whereas the "culprit" in petrol engines is Carbon Monoxide which has an acute effect.

    I was also reading an interesting article this morning that claims raw diesel fuel ITSELF is rather carcinogenic. I'll try to find it again and post the link.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    644
    I don't know about the EGR setup on the PS, but with the DMax you are able to turn it off with a few different tuners, and you can block it cheaper then the delete kit.
    With the DPF in regards to the DMax, there were quite a few individuals on one of my regular forums that saw up to a 4mpg difference by getting rid of it. Between the 9th injector squirting fuel, and the bog down during "regen" it hurts the fuel economy of the trucks. With proper tuning (ie EFI Live), these trucks don't smoke anymore with those 2 items inop.

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    I don't know about the EGR setup on the PS, but with the DMax you are able to turn it off with a few different tuners, and you can block it cheaper then the delete kit.
    With the DPF in regards to the DMax, there were quite a few individuals on one of my regular forums that saw up to a 4mpg difference by getting rid of it. Between the 9th injector squirting fuel, and the bog down during "regen" it hurts the fuel economy of the trucks. With proper tuning (ie EFI Live), these trucks don't smoke anymore with those 2 items inop.
    A proper tune is CARB certified and DOT certified for use on public roads. Every single tuner will have in the fine print "for off road use or racing only". That, son, is a fact. Quit sending out propaganda on diesels because you are a diesel fan boy. I've been driving diesel cars and trucks since 1981, and I live in the state that wrote the book on diesel air pollution being carcenogenic with particulate matter and carbon soot in lungs. It kills people, just like second hand smoke from cigarettes.

    You aren't fooling anyone, please grow up and educate yourself on rolling coal. Try breathing it behind one of these POS trucks with a plate that says "Got Soot" . I called a black F450 in last night with 5" pipes through the bed of his truck last night with that plate. I am certain a CARB representative will be paying him a visit, I know people in the right places that take their work seriously about clean air. He's about to get all his mods ripped out before he can renew his registration, I can bank on it.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?
    I'm more of a roadie than a mtber so it happens all the freaking time. I'll be on our saturday morning group ride out in the sticks and like clockwork we will get blasted at least once by some jagoff in a POS Dodge cummins with some giant pipe and a tapout decal on the rear window.

    We will also have some drive by real fast and real close as an attempt to scare us queers in our spandex and ballet shoes on bicYcles as we have been called at one of the country stores we stop at for water by the local idiots.

    I've been flipped off at a stop light by a cyclist while in my truck for some unknown reason other than i'm not on a bike at that instant and in some giant environment killer so i've seen the ******baggeryness from both sides

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    A proper tune is CARB certified and DOT certified for use on public roads. Every single tuner will have in the fine print "for off road use or racing only". That, son, is a fact. Quit sending out propaganda on diesels because you are a diesel fan boy. I've been driving diesel cars and trucks since 1981, and I live in the state that wrote the book on diesel air pollution being carcenogenic with particulate matter and carbon soot in lungs. It kills people, just like second hand smoke from cigarettes.

    You aren't fooling anyone, please grow up and educate yourself on rolling coal. Try breathing it behind one of these POS trucks with a plate that says "Got Soot" . I called a black F450 in last night with 5" pipes through the bed of his truck last night with that plate. I am certain a CARB representative will be paying him a visit, I know people in the right places that take their work seriously about clean air. He's about to get all his mods ripped out before he can renew his registration, I can bank on it.
    Wow. Wrong. Show me where KEM's new tunes for the 6.7 ford are for off road only. They meet all bs regs from "your state that write the rules"

    You seem to be uneducated as well sir.

    Why don't you go read your study and compare the concentrations they test subjects were given vs. real world levels...

    If you have any sense of reality you will know they overdose the hell out of subjects. And what are these subjects?? Lab mice perhaps?? No. They dosed people without them knowing. Good job EPA.

    This is just like PCBs. They gave a lab rat the equivalent of a human being drinking 55gallons of dielectric oil with 1 drop of pure PCBs (50ppm) PER DAY! Bam! Cancer

    (55gallons = 1 drum) FYI

    You drink 50 gallons of water in a day I bet you get a tumor too.

    I cannot excuse the blowing smoke thing. I hate it myself. But please realize the EPA and ca agencies are full of crap.

    Please tell me you know that a Prius is terrible for the environment?? You know they don't know how to get rid of the batteries. That they store them with nuclear waste.

  50. #50
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,120
    If your car is making soot, you deserve to be reported. Back to the thread; here's a (reposted) bad picture of a car that I am really liking a lot.

    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •