Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars

Anyone else a diesel enthusiast?
    I'm more specifically a Duramax guy, but I wouldn't turn down a Cummins. You can keep your powerstrokes though...
    Much love for diesel cars too. VW was definitely smart for geting their diesel cars in the US market the last few years.
    With the overseas group on this forum, I hope to see some diesel Hilux or Mahindra's, maybe some Toyota Land Cruisers. Post em up.

This is my truck. 2008 GMC, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts. EFI Live tuning by the best in the business, Rob Coddens. I've only had it at the dragstrip once, and ran a 15.2 at 90mph. That was at about 3K unadjusted above sea level.

It's not a one trick pony though. I will tow with it. That's 3 pallets of yard brick, total about 11K lbs with no trailer brake on that trailer. I don't have any pics right now of it off the beaten path, but it will go there too.

I'm just messing with you
    This is as close as it gets to a photo of my Ram CTD. I bought it because I decided that I never wanted to buy another vehicle as long as I lived. It's holding up pretty good in that respect. It had 50k miles on it when bought it about 10 years ago, has 80 on it now. I hardly ever drive it unless it's necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-dscn0247.jpg  

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    2008 F450 King Ranch 4x4 Crew Cab 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel with 109K parked at the Hermosa Creek trailhead. My 2006 F350 dually with a 6.0 powerstroke with 125K was much more reliable compared to the 6.4 as much as I don't want a truck payment I'm beginning to look at the 11' F350 6.7 powerstrokes...I'm not a chevy man and dodges are flat out ugly compared to the Ford superdutys.

Last edited by HAL 9000; 11-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Rabid Lana fan
    Not a diesel, but can I play? 2004 F-150 w/5.4

couple pix:

Album on photobucket
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hal, your 6.0 has been more reliable then your 6.4? Most Ford guys can't say that.

WVBob, if the rest of the truck looks as clean as the bed, it must be in amazing shape. Those older common rails are nice engines and easy to tinker with.

net wurker, I would give you more credit if it was at least the Ecoboost cuz that has a turbo on it. Seeing the underside, it sure does look like you maintain it well and keep it clean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dmax/VW guy too. Got an 08 Chevy. This is the only pic I have of her on this computer, I've added 18"wheels and DFP back exhaust (will update photo when I get home). Only tow heavy a couple time a year anymore, but it makes a fine bike race/event vehicle. Can fit 8 bikes in/on it and 5 adults and gear. Just bought a new DD, so I only drive it when I need it.

Had an 02 VW Jetta that was just getting broken in at 185k when the wife got ran off the road, cracked block and trans case. Have a GTI now that is twice the fun, but half the MPG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    My former truck ... [sniff, sniff]. '06 LBZ Duramax. Best vehicle I ever owned, and my co-favorite (tied for first with my (also former) '79 CJ-7. Used it to tow the travel trailer and for general adventuring, biking, and exploring. Here he is doing what he did best:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-facebook_-967110641.jpg  

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-facebook_-1245153261.jpg  

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    pwork , you should have went turbo back instead of DPF back (unless you still have a warranty). My dpf no longer exists. I see you are on dieselplace. I've joined up there, but rarely visit. Usually over on DuramaxForum.

Tystevens, what happened to your LBZ? I learned to love the NBS, which is why I went with the LMM, or I would have gotten into an LBZ. I started with an 05 LLY.

Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    WVBob, if the rest of the truck looks as clean as the bed, it must be in amazing shape. Those older common rails are nice engines and easy to tinker with.
    Pictures are misleading. I may have washed the truck twice since I've had it. When I replaced the tires, they had that blue stuff on the white letters for a couple years. Heck, it had moss growing on it in places this summer but I think it all died when I moved it out front so it's in full sun instead of in the shade by my garage.

Like I said, I don't drive it much, mostly on highway trips and back and forth to the trail head. No doubt that's harder on it than mile after mile day after day would be.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

banned
    Sep 2007
    What, no Porsche Cayenne TDI love yet? How about some Touareg Love? 406 ft lbs of torque. 3 liter motor.

St George /Hurricane, UT Passat TDI & the WFO.

mtbr member
    Hal, your 6.0 has been more reliable then your 6.4? Most Ford guys can't say that.
    Since October... $992 blown out fuel injector $2850 cracked timing case, 4x4 seals replaced, and leaking rear differential. It needs two new tires = $660 for the 19.5 wheels it's quickly turning into a money pit.

The whole exhaust scrubber kills any decent mileage. I need to purchase a car for a daily driver and put the truck in the storage lot with the camper till I the 2011's come down in price from the high $40K

The 6.0 had issues also but not on the scale and cost as i've had to deal with with this truck and i really don't need a 1.5 ton truck.

mtbr member
    Tystevens, what happened to your LBZ? I learned to love the NBS, which is why I went with the LMM, or I would have gotten into an LBZ. I started with an 05 LLY.
    Family has become too big to use the truck for its intended purpose. So we sold the truck, and are in the market for a 3/4 ton Suburban for next year's camping and adventures.

I bought the LBZ back in '08. Never was much of a fan of that body style to tell you the truth -- the LLM and newer look far better IMO. A bunch of my relatives drive Cummins Dodges, and I've always loved the look of the Superduty, so I always figured I'd buy one of those. But one extended test drive in a Duramax, and that silky smooth LBZ drivetrain had me sold. Back in '08, there was so much chatter about the dpf issues, making oil, all of that (most of which has turned out to be just that -- chatter --at least with the Duramax), I didn't even consider an LLM -- I went with the more tried and true LBZ.

Wasn't a bad investment, to tell you the truth. I drove it for 4 years and 55k miles, and sold it for $1500 less than I paid for it back in '08. Being a 100% stock, untampered-with , very clean truck, it was a highly sought after vehicle. I had calls on it from all over the West Coast from LBZ die-hards.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Ho'lier than thou
    I'm pretty sure I got you all beat in torque department. C15 in my Kenworth cranks out 1850 lb-ft.

F250 is not mine. It has an interesting engine swap (Detroit V12 and hair dryers). He went about 205 mph at October event at Bonneville salt flats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-hmmwvs.jpg  

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-art-dick.jpg  

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-v12-detroit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury.
    Just bought my 04 jetta on Saturday and it is my first diesel. Been wanting one to play with for awhile. Should make a good dog and mtn bike hauler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post

My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury.
    Just bought my 04 jetta on Saturday and it is my first diesel. Been wanting one to play with for awhile. Should make a good dog and mtn bike hauler.
    Great little cars. Particularly with that '04, you should be able to break 50 mpg with that baby. We have a few of them in the extended family. If I commuted more than 10 miles to work, I'd definitely have one in the driveway.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Katz, I know a couple light duty trucks that are right there with you on torque.... Just not mine.
    That old detroit sitting in that ferd is awesome. Those engines are tough as nails.

Tystevens, would a crew cab work in place of a Suburban? If you need the burb, you should look into DuraBurbs. They are kinda pricey, which is why I don't have one yet, but they are awesome.

Nice to see some import diesels. Now if only the EPA would back off a little and let more get imported. Or at least not make it so hard for the domestic manufacturers to get approval and sell them here instead of shipping them overseas after making them here.

Ho'lier than thou
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury..
    Is this the same diesel in late-model VW bugs? I was reading a magazine called Grassroots Motorsports a few years ago, and there was an article of a new bug with diesel engine. The owner modified it and managed to get 420 lb-ft of torque out of that engine!

I'd be all over a TDI Jetta if VW made them in rear wheel drive (just my preference).

Ho'lier than thou
    Katz, I know a couple light duty trucks that are right there with you on torque.... Just not mine.
    That old detroit sitting in that ferd is awesome. Those engines are tough as nails.
    Today's light/medium duty diesel engines are simply amazing. I'm starting to see a lot of guys in 1~1.25 ton dually trucks with DOT numbers pulling lighter freight right along side us.

There was a guy named Carl Heap, and he had a streamlined old International fire truck with a V16 Detroit with 4 turbos and a couple of superchargers. I sh!t you not, he ran 270~280 mph back in 2003 or 04. Unfortunately, he passed away the following year and the truck hasn't been back to Bonneville. I was fortunate enough to witness his record run.

Here's a pic, and the link to the history of the truck, named Phoenix.

Ugo Fadini LSR Models - The Phoenix, the story

EDIT: The page was written a few years ago and haven't been updated. The fastest diesel powered vehicle now is JCB streamliner at 350+mph (I think).
    Last edited by Katz; 11-20-2012 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460549.270571.jpg

Here is my work truck and my project truck. Getting a CR cummins. Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460638.040597.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460668.697275.jpg

mtbr member
    This is from the last test n tune. Blown boot at the end. This is in my 10k lb black f450. And I had 700lbs of fuel in my external. Roughly a 14.2-3 1/4mile time. Blew away some old school Fellas

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460809.091391.jpg

DaFaJa
    Not mine, Guy I ride with & good friend..of 15+ years
    240sx / 4BT Cummins

2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

Ride More, Work Less
    What type of real world mileage do you Duramax folks get? I'll be replacing my 1500 Silverado in a year or so and I have wanted the Duramax / Allison combo ever since I bought my truck.

banned
    Feb 2012
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?
    Shouldn't you be doing hippy things?? just kidding'

I love my diesels but I hate the community. Far too many stupid people. We are the new ricers I'm afraid

I dd what you see there.
    certainly you've heard of the "rodeo du camion:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/et9n2g9HHtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit: It's obviously a drag race - UPHILL pinned to 100 000 lbs.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

I dd what you see there.
    another one - peep the massive torque off the start for the guy in the right lane. This also gives a better idea of the load they're hauling too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pUVEH7AoEnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

banned
    Sep 2007
    I pull plate numbers and call them in to CARB on my cell phone when I see children blowing any soot from any diese pickup, TDI, what ever. There's no room for that crap in my lungs or anyone else's in the air that we all breathe. Punks delete their EGR because they don't want their motor breathing in that crap, so why should they let it out the exhaust for the rest of us to breathe, unfiltered. If you want unfiltered, go smoke a Camel, or roll yourself some Drum,

Simply no reason for it on an on the road vehicle, and proof it's been tampered with with chip work, DPF's and DEF convertors removed with an illegal exhaust system that is not 50 state or DOT approved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I pull plate numbers and call them in to CARB on my cell phone when I see children blowing any soot from any diese pickup, TDI, what ever. There's no room for that crap in my lungs or anyone else's in the air that we all breathe. Punks delete their EGR because they don't want their motor breathing in that crap, so why should they let it out the exhaust for the rest of us to breathe, unfiltered. If you want unfiltered, go smoke a Camel, or roll yourself some Drum,

Simply no reason for it on an on the road vehicle, and proof it's been tampered with with chip work, DPF's and DEF convertors removed with an illegal exhaust system that is not 50 state or DOT approved.
    Oh my god. I hope your not serious. That is just as silly as blowing smoke.

Please tell me you know that a gas engine puts out more damaging emissions than a diesel engine.

Deleting the DPF and using aftermarket tuning actually reduces emissions vs a factory set up.

The black smoke is terrible. I can't deny that but calling the EPA or related agency is crazy talk.

I dd what you see there.
    We were talking at work recently about a study just released that claimed that particulates in Diesel exhaust are HIGHLY carcinogenic even in small amounts.

This is was because there are a few mechanics in the shop that like to run trucks without the exhaust system hoses hooked up (or working).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    We were talking at work recently about a study just released that claimed that particulates in Diesel exhaust are HIGHLY carcinogenic even in small amounts.

This is was because there are a few mechanics in the shop that like to run trucks without the exhaust system hoses hooked up (or working).
    It's in all exhaust haha. Would you breath any engine exhaust??

I certainly wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Great little cars. Particularly with that '04, you should be able to break 50 mpg with that baby. We have a few of them in the extended family. If I commuted more than 10 miles to work, I'd definitely have one in the driveway.
    It is an automatic bleh but for the price I paid I couldn't pass it up. If it was a stick I might get close to 50mpg but with the auto I'll be happy with anything over 40mpg. So far I'm averaging right around 38mpg over 130 miles and pulling just over 40mpg at 70mph on the interstate.

Katz yeah with mods like any diesel you can make some serious torque with these but it cost money. You can get a nice bump with just a tune for a couple hundred but with 215k miles all ready on my car I don't want to stress the trans. I have a miata for RWD fun so I understand where you are coming from there. You could always go for an 80s mercedes wagon diesel. I was looking for one of those too but they are either in good shape and very expensive or cheap and beat to death when you can find them at all.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post

I certainly wouldn't.
    All I was referring to was that you stated that gas burning engines put out more damaging emissions than diesels and my point was that diesel emissions though different, are still just as "damaging."

mtbr member
    My old truck

01 dodge did a few things to it. Ran 13.6 1/4 mile on slicks.
    Was in the 09 june issue of diesel power.

Was alot of fun and alot of money. Once me and my ex split i sold it to many memories.

sent from my galaxy tab 2
    Last edited by EmbraceTheHate; 11-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    No pics of mine. 99 Dodge 2500 4x4.
    I work for a Cummins distributor. I work on the big diesels all day long. We have engineers that can write their own calibrations, so, naturally, I'm not running stock tunes.
    ATS transmission to handle the torque with triple disc converter, billet shafts, ATS valve body and ATS Co-Pilot. I run through all gear shifts with the converter locked. I used to tow my rock crawler over Donner Summit at 70mph in 4th range with no exhaust temp issues.

One of the benefits of my job is working with factory engineers. Sometimes they come out to try field test calibrations in real world trucks. I worked with one a couple months ago. Logging truck that was not making the right power. We spent all day on the dyno, testing different calibrations. At one point, we took it all the way to the extreme. At 800hp and nearly 2500ft/lbs of torque, the front end started lifting up during the dyno run and the clutch was slipping. That also took about a 1/4" of tread off of the drive tires.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sorry guys trying to figure out my new tablet.

Anyways heres some more pics of my old truck

I did everything myself on it

Heres the setup
    Quadzilla adrenaline
    Raptor 150 with 1/2 lines
    Built trans with lock up switch and billet single disc converter
    5" exhaust
    Cai
    Home made traction bars
    Mach 6 injectors
    Silver 64
    Theme was plum crazy like the old mopar cars

humber river advocate
    dig these trucks...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cl11QFAvEeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Dakar trucks are amazing. Go Tatra!

Action starts at 2:00, cool drift ~4:00

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cyObY8JPwFo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I love my diesels but I hate the community. Far too many stupid people. We are the new ricers I'm afraid
    Sadly this is true. Sorry Cummins guys, but it's your folks that are the worst. I don't hate the community, but it is definitely turning ricer like.

That's ridiclous. Soot from diesel is going to happen, period. If they are blacking out the street, go ahead and report em. But if you are calling in any diesel with a puff of smoke, you won't be able to get anything else accomplished throughout the day. And it's not just "punks" and "children" that delete their EGR. Getting rid of that dumb ass invention is better then having it connected and working. Like jkidd pointed out, having the EGR/DPF removed makes our trucks more emissions friendly. Those were added to trucks to make the appearance of diesel exhaust go away. What they did was cause engines to be less fuel efficient and wear down prematurely.

All I was referring to was that you stated that gas burning engines put out more damaging emissions than diesels and my point was that diesel emissions though different, are still just as "damaging."
    You have a valid point. Diesel contains NoX, which is carcinogenic. But it's not like it pours out in Chernobyl melt down amounts. That is why newer trucks now have the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Urea) setup on them, to trap that NoX.
    But overall, the majority of diesel exhaust falls back to the earth as harmless soot. Whereas gas engine emissions are what cause the smog you see over big cities.

banned
    Feb 2012

I certainly wouldn't.
    Don't you do that to some extent when you drive behind someone?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I'm pretty sure I got you all beat in torque department. C15 in my Kenworth cranks out 1850 lb-ft.

Don't underestimate the F450 and just 650 lb-ft

Mine has never seen a hard days work in it's life tho' It's almost like having a GT 500 and never going over the speed limit

FORD F450 vs. PETERBILT TRACTOR AND TRAILER - YouTube

F450 PULLIN MULTI TON TRAIN,COAL CAR - YouTube

Ford F450 pulls - YouTube

Ford F450 pulls Firetruck out of hole during Hurricane - YouTube

Tanner Foust drifting Ford Super Duty F450 - YouTube

Makin' smoke ... and a mess down both sides of that '55
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-reo-too-cool.jpg  

mtbr member

You have a valid point. Diesel contains NoX, which is carcinogenic. But it's not like it pours out in Chernobyl melt down amounts. That is why newer trucks now have the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Urea) setup on them, to trap that NoX.
    But overall, the majority of diesel exhaust falls back to the earth as harmless soot. Whereas gas engine emissions are what cause the smog you see over big cities.
    I'd like to preface this by saying, I'm a diesel guy. We have a TDI jetta that I absolutely love. I think we'd be much better off if there were more diesel cars in the US.

That being said....the soot is actually the part that causes the biggest issue for human lungs. The micro and macro particulate matter that you breath in adheres to the lining of your lung, which grows nodules around it....and so the process begins.

petrol or diesel, you're exhausting bad stuff....but when a big cloud of black smoke blows out the back of a truck...it's EXTREMELY bad for you to breath. That is a fact.

I love my TDI, but I don't have any problems with someone complaining about clouds of smoke billowing out of my car, or big trucks (though my car doesn't billow smoke).

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post
    I'd like to preface this by saying, I'm a diesel guy. We have a TDI jetta that I absolutely love. I think we'd be much better off if there were more diesel cars in the US.

That being said....the soot is actually the part that causes the biggest issue for human lungs. The micro and macro particulate matter that you breath in adheres to the lining of your lung, which grows nodules around it....and so the process begins.

petrol or diesel, you're exhausting bad stuff....but when a big cloud of black smoke blows out the back of a truck...it's EXTREMELY bad for you to breath. That is a fact.

I love my TDI, but I don't have any problems with someone complaining about clouds of smoke billowing out of my car, or big trucks (though my car doesn't billow smoke).
    I have an Audi A-3 TDI, love it. I get 42-45 mpg around town and 39 mpg doing 85mph on the freeway. Most cars in Europe are diesel, except diesel is called gasoline there. I totally agree with you on more availability here in the US.

I dd what you see there.
    And it's not just "punks" and "children" that delete their EGR. Getting rid of that dumb ass invention is better then having it connected and working.
    Yeah - people need not kid themselves. The EGR delete on the 6.0 powersmoke isn't to improve performance or help with the emissions, it's to delete the EGR cooler and save themselves moderately expensive repairs every couple of years.I'm a mechanic for a fleet of vehicles with 6.0 liter Powersmokes and I've replaced many a head bolt and headgaskets because the EGR cooler is such a piece of crap. Ford used fairly weak torque to yield headbolts on that engine and a leaking EGR cooler releases hot exhaust into the coolant, counteracting it's ability to "cool" causing all sorts of problems with the weak bolts and the headgaskets, but if ignored long enough it'll possibly even warp the head. Unfortunately by the time the driver sees the white puff out the tailpipe and smells the "diesel fumes" in the cab, the expensive damage is already done.

The generally accepted "fix" for this is to delete the EGR and cooler but here where we are, we cannot(by law) remove or modify any emission related components so Ford basically told us to replace the chintzy bolt/stud combo they used and use ARP bolts that have a much higher TTY spec and dump obscene amounts of cetane booster into the fuel tanks.... It hasn`t `fixed` the problem per sŤ, but it has increased the amount of time in between the repairs.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post
    This is a good point. The bottom line is that they are both 'bad' for our health. It's just that the main "culprit" in diesel exhaust would be the particulates which bears a long term health effect whereas the "culprit" in petrol engines is Carbon Monoxide which has an acute effect.

I was also reading an interesting article this morning that claims raw diesel fuel ITSELF is rather carcinogenic. I'll try to find it again and post the link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't know about the EGR setup on the PS, but with the DMax you are able to turn it off with a few different tuners, and you can block it cheaper then the delete kit.
    With the DPF in regards to the DMax, there were quite a few individuals on one of my regular forums that saw up to a 4mpg difference by getting rid of it. Between the 9th injector squirting fuel, and the bog down during "regen" it hurts the fuel economy of the trucks. With proper tuning (ie EFI Live), these trucks don't smoke anymore with those 2 items inop.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I don't know about the EGR setup on the PS, but with the DMax you are able to turn it off with a few different tuners, and you can block it cheaper then the delete kit.
    With the DPF in regards to the DMax, there were quite a few individuals on one of my regular forums that saw up to a 4mpg difference by getting rid of it. Between the 9th injector squirting fuel, and the bog down during "regen" it hurts the fuel economy of the trucks. With proper tuning (ie EFI Live), these trucks don't smoke anymore with those 2 items inop.
    A proper tune is CARB certified and DOT certified for use on public roads. Every single tuner will have in the fine print "for off road use or racing only". That, son, is a fact. Quit sending out propaganda on diesels because you are a diesel fan boy. I've been driving diesel cars and trucks since 1981, and I live in the state that wrote the book on diesel air pollution being carcenogenic with particulate matter and carbon soot in lungs. It kills people, just like second hand smoke from cigarettes.

You aren't fooling anyone, please grow up and educate yourself on rolling coal. Try breathing it behind one of these POS trucks with a plate that says "Got Soot" . I called a black F450 in last night with 5" pipes through the bed of his truck last night with that plate. I am certain a CARB representative will be paying him a visit, I know people in the right places that take their work seriously about clean air. He's about to get all his mods ripped out before he can renew his registration, I can bank on it.

mtbr member
    I'm more of a roadie than a mtber so it happens all the freaking time. I'll be on our saturday morning group ride out in the sticks and like clockwork we will get blasted at least once by some jagoff in a POS Dodge cummins with some giant pipe and a tapout decal on the rear window.

We will also have some drive by real fast and real close as an attempt to scare us queers in our spandex and ballet shoes on bicYcles as we have been called at one of the country stores we stop at for water by the local idiots.

I've been flipped off at a stop light by a cyclist while in my truck for some unknown reason other than i'm not on a bike at that instant and in some giant environment killer so i've seen the ******baggeryness from both sides

mtbr member
    A proper tune is CARB certified and DOT certified for use on public roads. Every single tuner will have in the fine print "for off road use or racing only". That, son, is a fact. Quit sending out propaganda on diesels because you are a diesel fan boy. I've been driving diesel cars and trucks since 1981, and I live in the state that wrote the book on diesel air pollution being carcenogenic with particulate matter and carbon soot in lungs. It kills people, just like second hand smoke from cigarettes.

You aren't fooling anyone, please grow up and educate yourself on rolling coal. Try breathing it behind one of these POS trucks with a plate that says "Got Soot" . I called a black F450 in last night with 5" pipes through the bed of his truck last night with that plate. I am certain a CARB representative will be paying him a visit, I know people in the right places that take their work seriously about clean air. He's about to get all his mods ripped out before he can renew his registration, I can bank on it.
    Wow. Wrong. Show me where KEM's new tunes for the 6.7 ford are for off road only. They meet all bs regs from "your state that write the rules"

You seem to be uneducated as well sir.

Why don't you go read your study and compare the concentrations they test subjects were given vs. real world levels...

If you have any sense of reality you will know they overdose the hell out of subjects. And what are these subjects?? Lab mice perhaps?? No. They dosed people without them knowing. Good job EPA.

This is just like PCBs. They gave a lab rat the equivalent of a human being drinking 55gallons of dielectric oil with 1 drop of pure PCBs (50ppm) PER DAY! Bam! Cancer

(55gallons = 1 drum) FYI

You drink 50 gallons of water in a day I bet you get a tumor too.

I cannot excuse the blowing smoke thing. I hate it myself. But please realize the EPA and ca agencies are full of crap.

Please tell me you know that a Prius is terrible for the environment?? You know they don't know how to get rid of the batteries. That they store them with nuclear waste.

Picture Unrelated
    If your car is making soot, you deserve to be reported. Back to the thread; here's a (reposted) bad picture of a car that I am really liking a lot.

Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Few more pics Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353518296.359765.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353518320.743687.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353518372.074232.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353518408.575449.jpg

And yes. All of them need a bath terribly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I dont know who pissed in your wheaties, but you seem like one of those fanatics that spreads lies and half truths about a subject, like if a PETA member were to join a forum on the best way to cook a steak and then proceeded to say how much they loved steak, but no one should kill or eat cows... I can't even begin to describe how WRONG you are about your precious CARB. California being the expert that should write books about anything? Maybe they should also be the ones that tell the other states how to be fiscally responsible too with their 10's of billions of dollars in debt.

Now, please point out anywhere that I said I love rolling coal. You may notice that I am also against it. I said you should call in if they are blacking out the street, but I also thought you were ridiculous for calling in every diesel vehicle that puffs any exhaust at all.

A proper tune is a proper tune. It doesn't need to be CARB certified, we don't all live in your precious commiefornia. I would put the custom built tune on my EGR/DPF less truck up against anything you have as far as soot and pollution level. Yeah they say offroad use. It's a CYA thing, just like your toaster comes with a warning not to put in the bathtub. But just because the CARB or EPA says it should be a certain way, doesn't meant hat's the best way to do it.

I am grown up, and educated, so stop talking to me like I'm your little kid, because I'm not your son, and I know better then you do about this subject. So Mr. "I know people", why don't you call my truck in? Pretty sure you can get my license plate number off the first pic I posted. I'm sure the CARB would love to take a trip to Idaho and discuss my emissions situation with me. Oh wait, I'm not in cali and they can't touch me. (Let me guess your friends are gonna call friends and I should be shaking in my boots, cuz you know people?)

The CARB is the reason we have stupid additions like an EGR. Why on God's green earth would you want exhaust gas recirculated into the clean air going into our engines?
    By the way, here is your precious CARB hard at work...
    Lead scientist on study lies about credentials, and government did nothing about it.
    Gov knew of CARB scandal on Dec. 18, 2008 | UTSanDiego.com

CARB lies about diesel emissions, overestimates by 340% so they could push their agenda...
    Overestimate fueled state's landmark diesel law - SFGate

Yeah I'll start worrying about the CARB and the people you know, the day cali gets out of debt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    I'm more of a roadie than a mtber so it happens all the freaking time. I'll be on our saturday morning group ride out in the sticks and like clockwork we will get blasted at least once by some jagoff in a POS Dodge cummins with some giant pipe and a tapout decal on the rear window.

We will also have some drive by real fast and real close as an attempt to scare us queers in our spandex and ballet shoes on bicYcles as we have been called at one of the country stores we stop at for water by the local idiots.

I've been flipped off at a stop light by a cyclist while in my truck for some unknown reason other than i'm not on a bike at that instant and in some giant environment killer so i've seen the ******baggeryness from both sides
    I feel for you man. I watched a cummins do that on a straight stretch to a roadie. I passed him then blacked out the sun for the next 8 miles of curvy road. I stopped at a gas station a d he pulled up ready to throw hands and asked what my problem was. I told him to ask the roadie. He totally changed his tone. I told him its not cool. He actually got kinda embarrassed.

I was calm and nice and he said it was dumb and wouldn't do it anymore. I see him around from time to time and he drives like an adult.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    jkidd, you said your turning that red Ford into a Fummins right?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Wow. Wrong. Show me where KEM's new tunes for the 6.7 ford are for off road only. They meet all bs regs from "your state that write the rules"

You seem to be uneducated as well sir.

Why don't you go read your study and compare the concentrations they test subjects were given vs. real world levels...

If you have any sense of reality you will know they overdose the hell out of subjects. And what are these subjects?? Lab mice perhaps?? No. They dosed people without them knowing. Good job EPA.

This is just like PCBs. They gave a lab rat the equivalent of a human being drinking 55gallons of dielectric oil with 1 drop of pure PCBs (50ppm) PER DAY! Bam! Cancer

(55gallons = 1 drum) FYI

You drink 50 gallons of water in a day I bet you get a tumor too.

I cannot excuse the blowing smoke thing. I hate it myself. But please realize the EPA and ca agencies are full of crap.

Please tell me you know that a Prius is terrible for the environment?? You know they don't know how to get rid of the batteries. That they store them with nuclear waste.
    I agree on the Prius pollution and the battery disposal problem.

I know what smog alert days were in the 1960's and 1970's in Los Angeles, I lived them on the school yard with the burning eyes and burning lungs sensation with every breathe, not even deep breathing.

As much as I hate government regulation, it's given us much cleaner air now than in the early 1970's, with probably 3x the amount of drivers here in Los Angeles County since then. It's given us ULSD wit 15 ppm sulfur, less sulfuric acid coming out the tail pipe, eating exhaust systems up, common rail diesel, higher fuel pressure and higher fuel economy per gallon. Getting a 37 MPG tank of fuel over 350 miles from Kingman AZ to LA in a 5000 pound TDI SUV is remarkable. Clean diesel technology makes it possible. I am certain I could do even better in the MPG in a 2013 Porsche Cayenne TDI, it's rated 29 MPG highway, my Touareg is rated 28, and it's far from being broken in, only 2900 miles on it.

Compliance is a good thing. Failure to obey laws is what is wrong with a portion of our society, if you don't like the law, change the law. I also don't like sharing the road with people under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including pot. It's a safety issue, I call drunk drivers in too. I am positive that I've made a difference and saved a couple of lives a time or three on highway 395 in CA on the way up to Mammoth Mountain over the many years of driving up there.

mtbr member
    I agree on the Prius pollution and the battery disposal problem.

I know what smog alert days were in the 1960's and 1970's in Los Angeles, I lived them on the school yard with the burning eyes and burning lungs sensation with every breathe, not even deep breathing.

As much as I hate government regulation, it's given us much cleaner air now than in the early 1970's, with probably 3x the amount of drivers here in Los Angeles County since then. It's given us ULSD wit 15 ppm sulfur, less sulfuric acid coming out the tail pipe, eating exhaust systems up, common rail diesel, higher fuel pressure and higher fuel economy per gallon. Getting a 37 MPG tank of fuel over 350 miles from Kingman AZ to LA in a 5000 pound TDI SUV is remarkable. Clean diesel technology makes it possible. I am certain I could do even better in the MPG in a 2013 Porsche Cayenne TDI, it's rated 29 MPG highway, my Touareg is rated 28, and it's far from being broken in, only 2900 miles on it.

Compliance is a good thing. Failure to obey laws is what is wrong with a portion of our society, if you don't like the law, change the law. I also don't like sharing the road with people under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including pot. It's a safety issue, I call drunk drivers in too. I am positive that I've made a difference and saved a couple of lives a time or three on highway 395 in CA on the way up to Mammoth Mountain over the many years of driving up there.
    The government regulation will not increase the cleanliness of diesels tho. The growth of the industry will. The DPF is a terrible thing. It forces the industry to make a bad product. We didn't go to common rail injection because we were forced. We went there because it creates a better burn and higher fuel economy. These trucks are better off without government red tape

The one thing we cannot engineer out is stupidity. That's the basis of humanity. Take away the diesels you will have idiots in any other vehicle.

The eura fluid is a much better idea. But government pushing the industry gave use the first DPF systems which are terrible.

mtbr member
    jkidd, you said your turning that red Ford into a Fummins right?
    Yes sir. Commonrail cummins with compound turbos. Going for 1000hp on fuel. Then we get out the nitrous

I dd what you see there.
    The government regulation will not increase the cleanliness of diesels tho.
    Really? So who pushed for the move towards ULSD? Didn't lowering the Sulphur content from 500 PPMs to 15 PPMs help? Many "experts" claim that was the single biggest improvement Diesel emissions have seen.

mtbr member
    Tystevens, would a crew cab work in place of a Suburban? If you need the burb, you should look into DuraBurbs. They are kinda pricey, which is why I don't have one yet, but they are awesome.
    Wow, this thread grew legs overnight!

My truck was a crew cab. But 4 kids under the age of 7 + 2 adults don't work great in a crew cab for longer trips, which we tend to take a few times a year. At least not for us. In the 'Burb, they've got 2 to a row, so they have space, they have cupholders, we have peace!

The 'Duraburb is interesting. But the 3/4 ton Suburban chassis isn't a real 3/4 ton anymore -- they only have 8600 gvwr, you can't put a class V hitch on them. Add about 800# of drive train and there wouldn't be much room left over for cargo/tongue weight. Plus, the 'Burb is my wife's daily driver, and she isn't gonna appreciate the efforts for her daily routine.

Actually, if I had to have a diesel big enough to transport the family and to tow a big trailer, and I wanted to drop an extra $10k to make it happen, I'd get 1 ton dually made into a 6-door. There is a company here in the SLC area that will do one for about $10k, and their work looks really nice. That way, I could seat 8-9, still have a pickup bed, and have much higher tow and cargo ratings. Would kinda suck to drive around town, however!
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Really? So who pushed for the move towards ULSD? Didn't lowering the Sulphur content from 500 PPMs to 15 PPMs help? Many "experts" claim that was the single biggest improvement Diesel emissions have seen.
    Ulsd was coming down the pipe anyways. We knew it was moving that way. We follow where the market. Europe was using it. So we followed. But can you credit the government for that?? The same government who said to Decrease emissions we will heat up the filter and burn out the bad parts using much more fuel which means our consumption rises.

The government does not have the people's health, well being, or happiness in mind. They just look for ways to get more money.

If the government can make it happen in a decade then private companies can achieve the same results in a year and a hell of a lot cheaper

mtbr member
    My truck was on the verge of being not street legal. It hazed smoke everywhere. Some cyclists have got it good a few times from me not purposely tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    What type of real world mileage do you Duramax folks get? I'll be replacing my 1500 Silverado in a year or so and I have wanted the Duramax / Allison combo ever since I bought my truck.
    Honestly, don't kid yourself too much about improved mileage. The newer diesels have gone more for extra power at comparable mileage, rather than comparable power at increased mileage. My grandpa's 2000 Cummins w/ a 6 spd manual would return 23-24 mpg on the freeway, but those days are pretty much gone. My LBZ had 50% more power than that truck had, at least. Power takes fuel, unfortunately!

I can give you a pretty direct comparison, as we have an '05 Suburban 1500, and had the '06 2500hd w/ Duramax and 6 spd auto. Under similar freeway conditions, the Duramax would get 5-10% better mpg (17.5 vs 18.5 or 19 in the Dmax), and our Suburban has 4.10 gears, so its freeway mpg is lower than most. Mostly city driving in the Duramax is 0-10% better - they both get 13-14 mpg. Towing, the Dmax blows the gasser away -- I would get 11-12 mpg at 65-70 towing our 7k lb travel trailer with the Dmax, running in 6th gear w/ the cruise on. The 1500 gets 8-9 mpg and wont even hold 70 unless I'm really whipping it.

My estimation was that with diesel being about $.40 more expensive than gas (at least here in Utah), the diesel was slightly more expensive to drive than the gasser for daily runabout stuff.

But the value of the diesel wasn't the mpg. The power is simply amazing, really. I couldn't believe how well it towed compared to the gas powered truck. That alone was worth the price of admission.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

I dd what you see there.
    Ulsd was coming down the pipe anyways. We knew it was moving that way. We follow where the market. Europe was using it. So we followed. But can you credit the government for that?? The same government who said to Decrease emissions we will heat up the filter and burn out the bad parts using much more fuel which means our consumption rises.

The government does not have the people's health, well being, or happiness in mind. They just look for ways to get more money.

If the government can make it happen in a decade then private companies can achieve the same results in a year and a hell of a lot cheaper
    Too easy of a pass off. Europe does A LOT of things that we don't. Just because they were using ULSD doesn't mean it was "coming down the pipe" for us. 90% of their vehicles are diesels yet we're nowhere NEAR that.

It's more akin to what you said in your second paragraph. The goverment moved on it at the advice of their billionaire oil exec. buddies that saw another way to get another buck off the population - I'm Canadian and before ULSD the prices were usually 5 to 10 cents a litre BEHIND petrol. Back then I had an older VW and I remember paying 79 cents a litre when petrol was about 88 cents a litre. Currently diesel is ALWAYS at least 5 cents a litre more. I think it's curently around $1.25 a litre.

Edit: Hell, I work for my city and our "best price because we use so much of it" cost for a litre is even $1.04 a litre.

Ultimately you're right. Emission control isn't primarily about the environment, it's about the rich people making another buck off us.

mtbr member
    Only on a micro level. You have to look at things with a larger perspective. ULSD has 10% fewer BTUs available. This equates to a 10% reduction in power. Now for an engine to make the same level of power, it has to use atleast 10% more fuel. Atleast 10%. We are causing more pollution due to the increased use of the fuel.

Now we have to mine that much more oil. Mining oil requires a tremendous amount of diesel fuel to operate the machinery and equipment. Most of the mining is done in countries with little or no enviromental regulations.

Now we have to ship that much more fuel. Massive tankers crossing the oceans. Trains pulling miles of tanker cars. Trucks delivering it to the fueling stations. All require more fuel to deliver the increased amount of fuel.

Now we have to pay higher costs for all consumer goods. There is not a single thing you buy that is not affected by the cost of transportation. With the additional costs of fuel, due to decreased fuel economy, everything you buy has increased in cost.

Two pieces of anecdotal evidence to support this:

My father was on owner operater truck driver. His last truck was a 97 International with a 500hp Detroit Series 60. He pulled flatbeds on a regular route between central California and the Mexico border. 80,000lb gross loads each way. 8.5mpg. Dropped one gear going over the grapevine on I-5.
    Todays heavy duty engines in the 500hp range struggle to maintain 5mpg. I see this all the time at work. The retarded timing required to reduce NOx is one culprit. The lower BTU ULSD is another.

In my personal truck, on the older LSD, I would regularly run 21mpg on the freeway. This was keeping my speeds down and behaving myself. Since the ULSD came out, the best I can get is 18mpg, no matter what I do.

So thanks government for forcing us into ULSD, giving us higher fuel costs, decreased fuel economy and higher consumer costs. Its great that we kick our selves in the ass in the name of saving the enviroment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So thanks government for forcing us into ULSD, giving us higher fuel costs, decreased fuel economy and higher consumer costs. Its great that we kick our selves in the ass in the name of saving the enviroment.
    You can replace ULSD with EGR or DPF. Essentially the same thing.

90% of their vehicles are diesels yet we're nowhere NEAR that.
    You can thank the EPA, CARB, and other environmental agencies for this specific issue. Do you not know about the numerous diesel vehicles built right here in the US, that are shipped overseas? Ford, GM, and Dodge all have passenger cars and small pickups with diesels made here and exported. Other companies sch as Toyota have factories here that put diesels into their cars and then send them overseas.
    Mahindra had heavily debated building a factory in the US to manufacture diesel vehicles for sale here in the US. They found that it was too expensive to get their diesel engines certified for use in the US, so the whole plan was scrapped.
    The EPA makes it so difficult and expensive to get diesels certified for use here, it's not worth the cost. Add to that the stigma that is placed on diesels by all the "green energy" freaks, and the market isn't there yet.

mtbr member
    You can replace ULSD with EGR or DPF. Essentially the same thing.
    Wrong.
    ULSD is required by the DPF. Use of regular LSD will destroy a DPF.
    EGR doesn't care which fuel you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    2 VW Tdis here. Love 'em.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Wrong.

Can you tell who is certainly new to diesel fueled vehicles?

ULSD of 10ppm originated in Stockholm, Sweden in the mid 1990's. I have never seen a speck of information about ULSD having 10% less BTU's than 5000 ppm or even 500 or 50 ppm diesel fuel. Currently in the USA, we require 15ppm or less diesel fuel, most of the stuff, at least here in California, tests out at 7 or 8 ppm. By 1999, in select markets in California, Arco was testing and selling Arco ECD-1, which was almost ULSD. It was, I believe, 50 ppm sulfur. In 1992, CARB mandated all diesel fuel sold in major high density areas like the bay area and all of Southern California run 500 ppm diesel fuel, down from 5000 ppm sulfur D2 fuel. The method to get it lower was hydro treating, and hydro treating removed a lot of the aromatics in the fuel also, the goal being to get the fuel to have less than 5% aromatics in the fuel, by volume, also. Aromatics are fine in steady state usage like on highways, interstate travel and freeway, but soot badly in acceleration and stop and go city driving, what major population centers suffer from when diesel operators drive around in larger cities. Hence the requirement of ULSD and low aromatic fuels in city fleet vehicles, and later, the general public.

What I have read, and verified, is that biodiesel is 10% less calories per gallon compared to D2. I've lost 2 to 3% MPG running B20 in my 1996 passat TDI, my 1998 Jetta TDI and my 2002 Jetta GLS TDI also. The log sheets of fillups don't lie. My highest MPG in any tdi vehicle I have owned has been always on fuel bought in UT, WY, or AZ, consistently. It also stinks like hell if you get it on your hands while filling, and soots badly getting on any freeway or interstate on ramp, but take your foot out of it a little, and it cleans up nicely and runs great, really delivering higher MPG in steady state application. This is fine fuel in big country, with lots of interstate and lots of miles between rural towns and long miles to travel to get anywhere. It's not good in stop and go driving, I get a lot of regens if I have residual out of state fuel that I come back with me in the tank before the next fill up, if I drive around in stop and go traffic.

Soot also results in more carbon blow by getting into your motor oil, where it clogs egrs, wears out valve guides, and create more ring land wear, where it sticks behind the rings and the piston.

Merendon Junkie
    These are my diesel trucks.

This is a 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ70, it was handed down to me by my dad.
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-dsc_0132.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-100_0893.jpg

This is my daily driver, 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-101_1137.jpg

Cheers

Big Boy
    Pretty viral video, but for those who haven't seen it....this is the level of d00shiness that gives the diesel enthusiast a bad name.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ixAMwN11cfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    I hope you are not trying to imply that I am new to diesels.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I hope you are not trying to imply that I am new to diesels.
    Au contraire.

~Disc~Golf~

Yeah,

I CAN!! ^^^

Not once did I see a mention of Rudolpf Diesel's intended fuel...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wrong.
    You completely misread what I wrote. I was talking about the statement that ULSD has made things worse. As in you can replace the letters ULSD with the letters EGR or DPF, and it's essentially the same thing. EGR and DPF have not made these vehicles better. They have hurt fuel economy and/or caused premature wear and tear on the engines.
    I wasn't saying that you could replace ULSD with an EGR or DPF mechanically... That wouldn't make any sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    Pretty viral video, but for those who haven't seen it....this is the level of d00shiness that gives the diesel enthusiast a bad name.
    Yeah, every single person in that truck should be drug out and beat with an exhaust pipe and then have their face held in front of it while they have the same thing done to them.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    Not mine, Guy I ride with & good friend..of 15+ years
    240sx / 4BT Cummins

that. is. retarded.

the intake??? (way to breathe) and the exhaust?

some have more $ than sense

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Yeah,

I CAN!! ^^^

Not once did I see a mention of Rudolpf Diesel's intended fuel...
    Carbon dust, which he had a problem carburetting and metering, his engine blew up.

The Green Gestapo would have you believe it was vegetable oil. Especially the clones promoting biodiesel.

~Disc~Golf~
    back up son before you presume too much!

Look to our 'friends' @ DuPunt - and others

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Makin' smoke ... and a mess down both sides of that '55

Why does that '55 look familiar?

banned
    Sep 2007
    back up son before you presume too much!
    Do a search on coal dust and diesel motors. It was later adapted to run on the left over residues of petroleum refining product, once a way was found to pressurize it and inject it in atomized form into the highly heated air of a high compression (20:1) motor head. But originally, it was designed to run on coal dust.

mtbr member
    Some of you hippies sure get your panties in a wad over my old dodge. Some of my bad rep commentsare comical!!!

mtbr member
    that. is. retarded.

the intake??? (way to breathe) and the exhaust?

some have more $ than sense
    Why is that retarded? Because someone did something different? Go wash your mouth out with a revolver tard.

mtbr member
    Well, it's not in a car or truck, but...

Mitsubishi S16R
    V16, 65.4 liter, 2886 HP @ 1800 RPM
    Runs a 2 Megawatt standby generator at a data center.

I dd what you see there.
    That's cool, but you've heard of the Wartsila Sulzer RTA96-C engine right?

It's a Container ship engine.

The 14 cylinder model boasts 108 920 HP (at 102 rpm) and 5 608 312 ft/lbs of torque (also at 102 rpm). At it's most efficient it consumes 1660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour. However, at it's most efficient it's in the 50% thermal efficiency range whereas most automotive engines average about 25 to 30% thermal efficiency.

Here's the crank sitting in the block of a 10 cylinder model.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's pretty bad when you have to make sure there's no people in the engine when you put the oil pan back on!

banned
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    Why is that retarded? Because someone did something different? Go wash your mouth out with a revolver tard.

How would you like to be his passenger?
    A seat without a view. Just how practical is that? Retarded - yes.
    How it ever got a sticker is sure to be a story.
    No thanks, give me a tow-mobile, not a riced out Eclipse..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post

No. It is retarded. The 4BT shakes like crazy. There is no way you would ever be able to eliminate to amount of vibration that engine puts out. It would shake that car apart.
    The unibody construction of the car would never tolerate the power output or the vibration. A 4BT would weight at least twice the weight of the original engine.
    The second pic really kills me. They're towing a boat with that car?? Seriously? It does not have the brakes to deal with additional towing weight. The unibody chassis is not designed to deal with the weight of a trailer. The short wheelbase would be pushed around by the trailer through any corner.
    Stupid.
    Unsafe.
    Retarded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    tapout decal on the rear window.
    That means they do a lot of ultimate fighting, I wouldn't mess with them if I were you.

Does anyone ever report the "coal rollers" as drunk drivers?

I called a black F450 in last night with 5" pipes through the bed of his truck last night with that plate. I am certain a CARB representative will be paying him a visit, I know people in the right places that take their work seriously about clean air. He's about to get all his mods ripped out before he can renew his registration, I can bank on it.
    Is it just an opacity test? Or is there a visual test too to ensure all the original equipment is still under the hood?

Coal rolling idiots FTL.
    Last edited by jackbombay; 11-22-2012 at 08:21 AM.

humber river advocate
    i've been eyeballing a diesel conversion for the jeep if i can get away with it in my area...

Jeep Wrangler Diesel Conversion
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    No. It is retarded. The 4BT shakes like crazy. There is no way you would ever be able to eliminate to amount of vibration that engine puts out. It would shake that car apart.
    The unibody construction of the car would never tolerate the power output or the vibration. A 4BT would weight at least twice the weight of the original engine.
    The second pic really kills me. They're towing a boat with that car?? Seriously? It does not have the brakes to deal with additional towing weight. The unibody chassis is not designed to deal with the weight of a trailer. The short wheelbase would be pushed around by the trailer through any corner.
    Stupid.
    Unsafe.
    Retarded.

Which 4bt do you have? I have two and they are very smooth?? If one was so inclined balancing the rotating assembly during rebuild would be a big help.

No trying to be a d!ck. but I've never seen this issue.

And yes. That car coulda been cleaner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    i've been eyeballing a diesel conversion for the jeep if i can get away with it in my area...

That's pretty high for a mechanical 4bt swap. See if they do anything performance wise to the engine or do they swap gears in the axles??

The 4bt is a great idea but the fuel economy is hard to find with out regearing.

If your serious down the road get with GOS performance or Bean's Diesel Performance.

Both specialize in cummins Convo's. Very good companies. Just spitballing I'm guessing they would do a 4bt swap for 3-5k

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post

Source the engine and trans and do it yourself. There is an abundance of on-line resources to help you successfully perform a conversion including part numbers and where to source power plants. With Hostess closing the doors 4 BT's should be abundant soon.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    How would you like to be his passenger?
    A seat without a view. Just how practical is that? Retarded - yes.
    How it ever got a sticker is sure to be a story.
    No thanks, give me a tow-mobile, not a riced out Eclipse..
    The exhaust is no longer like that, That photo was when the swap was first done..car runs 100% on veggi oil, This guy builds some cool stuff, He built both of the hogan drift cars..@ one point this 4bt was running on hydrogen..

Yeah I am sure this swap is not for every ones liking..but the guy thinks out of the box all the time..He builds a **** ton of 240sx's and this was/is one of his own projects..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Which 4bt do you have? I have two and they are very smooth?? If one was so inclined balancing the rotating assembly during rebuild would be a big help.

No trying to be a d!ck. but I've never seen this issue.

And yes. That car coulda been cleaner
    I only own the 6BT in my truck.
    However, had you read my first post in this thread, you would already know that I work for a Cummins distributor as a journey man technician. I work on 4BTs all the time.
    The older mechanical 4BTs are rattling, shaking, vibrating beasts. The newer QSBs with common rail injection utilize multiple injection events to reduce noise, vibration and emissions.

I dd what you see there.
    Two pieces of anecdotal evidence to support this:

My father was on owner operater truck driver. His last truck was a 97 International with a 500hp Detroit Series 60. He pulled flatbeds on a regular route between central California and the Mexico border. 80,000lb gross loads each way. 8.5mpg. Dropped one gear going over the grapevine on I-5.
    Todays heavy duty engines in the 500hp range struggle to maintain 5mpg. I see this all the time at work. The retarded timing required to reduce NOx is one culprit. The lower BTU ULSD is another.
    Once again, far too easy of a buck passing. Saying the current engines are getting 5mpgs without regards to what the gearing behind them is spec-ed at or what lanes they're running is completely arbitrary. You could take the most fuel effiecent engine made, and put it in the most ridiculous spec-ed tractor you've ever seen and sit a new driver in the cockpit and even with a small load you might literally see your mileage drop to gallons per mile.

When I was a 'substitute' fleet maintanence manager for an outfit about 8 years ago I inherited a group of Freightshakers with some fancy Mercedes engines in them and 10 speed transmissions - mainly meant for a run to NYC (from Ontario Canada) so, relatively short, mostly flat run with office furniture. Packed top to bottom and side side they'd have been lucky to weigh 20000 lbs. They struggled to get 5.5 mpg (the company actually had a thing where I'd give a Tim Hortons gift card to any drivers that were able to hit 5.7 mpg on that trip with those specific tractors). We also had a group of Peterbilts that ran the Ontario to California "lumber run" that were getting anywheres from 7.3 to 7.8 mpg. I still talk to Mike regularly (the maint. manager I had filled in for) and he says the current tractors they got - Petes and Volvos - that are spec-ed virtually the same (gearing wise) as the old ones and they are still getting 7.0 mpg on their California trips.

I dd what you see there.
    Stupid.
    Unsafe.
    Retarded.
    Couldn't agree with this more. My question is how does the engine breathe when the air intake appears to be jammed in a corner?

mtbr member
    I only own the 6BT in my truck.
    However, had you read my first post in this thread, you would already know that I work for a Cummins distributor as a journey man technician. I work on 4BTs all the time.
    The older mechanical 4BTs are rattling, shaking, vibrating beasts. The newer QSBs with common rail injection utilize multiple injection events to reduce noise, vibration and emissions.

I would wonder what reasonably cheap mods would change these engine characteristics?

I bet benching the pump would really quiet down the engine.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I've watched from my 1983 Audi 5000TD with a single pintle injector, to my 1996 Passat TDI with 5 hole injectors and direct injection, to my 2002 Jetta GLS with primary and main injection, to higher fuel pressure in my 2012 Passat with Common rail and solenoid multiple injections at 1800 bar, as well as my 2012 VW Touareg TDI with the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP that is prone to failure when running 2000 bar pressure and Piezo injectors, and each version gets smoother and smoother, with more injection cycles available as the injector response time gets better and better. I believe piezo injection by Bosch is now capable of up to 8 injection cycles, the solenoid version, last I read, was up to 5 or 6 cycles.

The efficiency of diesel has improved immensely. My n1983 Audi 5000 TD with a 2.0L motor got 32 to 33 MPG, today, my Touareg, with 3 liter motor, AWD, and 5000 pound, can get up to 37 MPG. With DPF and with AdBlue diesel exhaust fluid cycles built in also.

mtbr member
    I've watched from my 1983 Audi 5000TD.
    Rare bird there!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Rare bird there!
    yeah a 5 cylinder diesel is a rare bird. Sold it to a guy with 265,000 miles on it. Motor design had a problem without an intercooler of the turbo boost heat soaking the motor. Adding an intercooler and more boost pressure allows engine designers to use air to cool the motor head these days. Adding a bit more boost has shown to drop your EGT's if the fuel mapping is kept the same. However, the added oxygen can increase NOX levels. It's quite an engineering feat with all the variables one needs to account for when designing fueling maps that are certified EPA, CARB and DOT compliant, which is why all the aftermarket tunes are really all uncertified and untested by the agencies in charge of clean air. None of the tuners can afford to pay for the complete testing. Believe me, the price tag is so high, it prevents Volkswagen from bringing certain TDI models to the North American market.

Though I understand Audi is bringing the Q5, the A6, A7 and A8 to North American markets for 2013, with the same 3.0 V6 TDI that has run in the Q7 and the Touareg since 2009. At least that is what is being shown at the Los Angeles Car Show this weekend... seeing is believing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0