Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars

Anyone else a diesel enthusiast?
    I'm more specifically a Duramax guy, but I wouldn't turn down a Cummins. You can keep your powerstrokes though...
    Much love for diesel cars too. VW was definitely smart for geting their diesel cars in the US market the last few years.
    With the overseas group on this forum, I hope to see some diesel Hilux or Mahindra's, maybe some Toyota Land Cruisers. Post em up.

This is my truck. 2008 GMC, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts. EFI Live tuning by the best in the business, Rob Coddens. I've only had it at the dragstrip once, and ran a 15.2 at 90mph. That was at about 3K unadjusted above sea level.

It's not a one trick pony though. I will tow with it. That's 3 pallets of yard brick, total about 11K lbs with no trailer brake on that trailer. I don't have any pics right now of it off the beaten path, but it will go there too.

human dehumidifier
    This is as close as it gets to a photo of my Ram CTD. I bought it because I decided that I never wanted to buy another vehicle as long as I lived. It's holding up pretty good in that respect. It had 50k miles on it when bought it about 10 years ago, has 80 on it now. I hardly ever drive it unless it's necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-dscn0247.jpg  

I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    2008 F450 King Ranch 4x4 Crew Cab 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel with 109K parked at the Hermosa Creek trailhead. My 2006 F350 dually with a 6.0 powerstroke with 125K was much more reliable compared to the 6.4 as much as I don't want a truck payment I'm beginning to look at the 11' F350 6.7 powerstrokes...I'm not a chevy man and dodges are flat out ugly compared to the Ford superdutys.

Last edited by HAL 9000; 11-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.

re member
    Not a diesel, but can I play? 2004 F-150 w/5.4

couple pix:

Album on photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hal, your 6.0 has been more reliable then your 6.4? Most Ford guys can't say that.

WVBob, if the rest of the truck looks as clean as the bed, it must be in amazing shape. Those older common rails are nice engines and easy to tinker with.

net wurker, I would give you more credit if it was at least the Ecoboost cuz that has a turbo on it. Seeing the underside, it sure does look like you maintain it well and keep it clean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dmax/VW guy too. Got an 08 Chevy. This is the only pic I have of her on this computer, I've added 18"wheels and DFP back exhaust (will update photo when I get home). Only tow heavy a couple time a year anymore, but it makes a fine bike race/event vehicle. Can fit 8 bikes in/on it and 5 adults and gear. Just bought a new DD, so I only drive it when I need it.

Had an 02 VW Jetta that was just getting broken in at 185k when the wife got ran off the road, cracked block and trans case. Have a GTI now that is twice the fun, but half the MPG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    My former truck ... [sniff, sniff]. '06 LBZ Duramax. Best vehicle I ever owned, and my co-favorite (tied for first with my (also former) '79 CJ-7. Used it to tow the travel trailer and for general adventuring, biking, and exploring. Here he is doing what he did best:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-facebook_-967110641.jpg  

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-facebook_-1245153261.jpg  

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    pwork , you should have went turbo back instead of DPF back (unless you still have a warranty). My dpf no longer exists. I see you are on dieselplace. I've joined up there, but rarely visit. Usually over on DuramaxForum.

Tystevens, what happened to your LBZ? I learned to love the NBS, which is why I went with the LMM, or I would have gotten into an LBZ. I started with an 05 LLY.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    WVBob, if the rest of the truck looks as clean as the bed, it must be in amazing shape. Those older common rails are nice engines and easy to tinker with.
    Pictures are misleading. I may have washed the truck twice since I've had it. When I replaced the tires, they had that blue stuff on the white letters for a couple years. Heck, it had moss growing on it in places this summer but I think it all died when I moved it out front so it's in full sun instead of in the shade by my garage.

Like I said, I don't drive it much, mostly on highway trips and back and forth to the trail head. No doubt that's harder on it than mile after mile day after day would be.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

Flaccid Member
    What, no Porsche Cayenne TDI love yet? How about some Touareg Love? 406 ft lbs of torque. 3 liter motor.

St George /Hurricane, UT Passat TDI & the WFO.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Hal, your 6.0 has been more reliable then your 6.4? Most Ford guys can't say that.
    Since October... $992 blown out fuel injector $2850 cracked timing case, 4x4 seals replaced, and leaking rear differential. It needs two new tires = $660 for the 19.5 wheels it's quickly turning into a money pit.

The whole exhaust scrubber kills any decent mileage. I need to purchase a car for a daily driver and put the truck in the storage lot with the camper till I the 2011's come down in price from the high $40K

The 6.0 had issues also but not on the scale and cost as i've had to deal with with this truck and i really don't need a 1.5 ton truck.

mtbr member
    Tystevens, what happened to your LBZ? I learned to love the NBS, which is why I went with the LMM, or I would have gotten into an LBZ. I started with an 05 LLY.
    Family has become too big to use the truck for its intended purpose. So we sold the truck, and are in the market for a 3/4 ton Suburban for next year's camping and adventures.

I bought the LBZ back in '08. Never was much of a fan of that body style to tell you the truth -- the LLM and newer look far better IMO. A bunch of my relatives drive Cummins Dodges, and I've always loved the look of the Superduty, so I always figured I'd buy one of those. But one extended test drive in a Duramax, and that silky smooth LBZ drivetrain had me sold. Back in '08, there was so much chatter about the dpf issues, making oil, all of that (most of which has turned out to be just that -- chatter --at least with the Duramax), I didn't even consider an LLM -- I went with the more tried and true LBZ.

Wasn't a bad investment, to tell you the truth. I drove it for 4 years and 55k miles, and sold it for $1500 less than I paid for it back in '08. Being a 100% stock, untampered-with , very clean truck, it was a highly sought after vehicle. I had calls on it from all over the West Coast from LBZ die-hards.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Raymond Donald Franklin
    I'm pretty sure I got you all beat in torque department. C15 in my Kenworth cranks out 1850 lb-ft.

F250 is not mine. It has an interesting engine swap (Detroit V12 and hair dryers). He went about 205 mph at October event at Bonneville salt flats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-hmmwvs.jpg  

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-art-dick.jpg  

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-v12-detroit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury.
    Just bought my 04 jetta on Saturday and it is my first diesel. Been wanting one to play with for awhile. Should make a good dog and mtn bike hauler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post

My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury.
    Just bought my 04 jetta on Saturday and it is my first diesel. Been wanting one to play with for awhile. Should make a good dog and mtn bike hauler.
    Great little cars. Particularly with that '04, you should be able to break 50 mpg with that baby. We have a few of them in the extended family. If I commuted more than 10 miles to work, I'd definitely have one in the driveway.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Katz, I know a couple light duty trucks that are right there with you on torque.... Just not mine.
    That old detroit sitting in that ferd is awesome. Those engines are tough as nails.

Tystevens, would a crew cab work in place of a Suburban? If you need the burb, you should look into DuraBurbs. They are kinda pricey, which is why I don't have one yet, but they are awesome.

Nice to see some import diesels. Now if only the EPA would back off a little and let more get imported. Or at least not make it so hard for the domestic manufacturers to get approval and sell them here instead of shipping them overseas after making them here.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    My big bad diesel. 1.9l turbo pushing 100hp and 177ft-lb of fury..
    Is this the same diesel in late-model VW bugs? I was reading a magazine called Grassroots Motorsports a few years ago, and there was an article of a new bug with diesel engine. The owner modified it and managed to get 420 lb-ft of torque out of that engine!

I'd be all over a TDI Jetta if VW made them in rear wheel drive (just my preference).

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Katz, I know a couple light duty trucks that are right there with you on torque.... Just not mine.
    That old detroit sitting in that ferd is awesome. Those engines are tough as nails.
    Today's light/medium duty diesel engines are simply amazing. I'm starting to see a lot of guys in 1~1.25 ton dually trucks with DOT numbers pulling lighter freight right along side us.

There was a guy named Carl Heap, and he had a streamlined old International fire truck with a V16 Detroit with 4 turbos and a couple of superchargers. I sh!t you not, he ran 270~280 mph back in 2003 or 04. Unfortunately, he passed away the following year and the truck hasn't been back to Bonneville. I was fortunate enough to witness his record run.

Here's a pic, and the link to the history of the truck, named Phoenix.

Ugo Fadini LSR Models - The Phoenix, the story

EDIT: The page was written a few years ago and haven't been updated. The fastest diesel powered vehicle now is JCB streamliner at 350+mph (I think).
    Last edited by Katz; 11-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460549.270571.jpg

Here is my work truck and my project truck. Getting a CR cummins. Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460638.040597.jpg
    Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460668.697275.jpg

mtbr member
    This is from the last test n tune. Blown boot at the end. This is in my 10k lb black f450. And I had 700lbs of fuel in my external. Roughly a 14.2-3 1/4mile time. Blew away some old school Fellas

Diesel enthusiasts. Post your diesel trucks/cars-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353460809.091391.jpg

DaFaJa
    Not mine, Guy I ride with & good friend..of 15+ years
    240sx / 4BT Cummins

2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

Ride More, Whine Less
    What type of real world mileage do you Duramax folks get? I'll be replacing my 1500 Silverado in a year or so and I have wanted the Duramax / Allison combo ever since I bought my truck.

Dissolved member
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    No rolling coal stories and pictures yet? Are you guys a civilized bunch or what?
    Shouldn't you be doing hippy things?? just kidding'

I love my diesels but I hate the community. Far too many stupid people. We are the new ricers I'm afraid

I dd what you see there.
    certainly you've heard of the "rodeo du camion:

Edit: It's obviously a drag race - UPHILL pinned to 100 000 lbs.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast