Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Upset Dear the inventor of, and companies who use Torx and Security Screws

I would like to shove every single of these stupid special screwdrivers I have to order from China into your eyeballs in an attempt to screw your brain back in straight.

I need to OPEN your stupid POS because you somehow effed it up! But, that point doesn't matter. Because I bought it and I own it! It is mine to do as I please with, void warranties as I see fit, use the parts to create my own sentry robot, build a nuclear reactor, WHATEVER. You sold it to me, it is mine, I want to open it.

In my case, 9 out of 10 times, it is to fix something. Because your product is a broke POS, or doesn't work as intended, or further ridiculous propitiatory parts makes it too expensive to maintain, or it is so old I can't find your stupid propitiatory parts any more, or your stupid propitiatory parts are stupid and weak and the open market has far superior items. If, by chance it is so new it is actually covered by your 2 year warranty, it is MY choice to void it! Most of the time, your product is needed long past the warranty, and any replacement parts, new or not, are no longer covered anyways. The screws aren't magically going to open up to me. I still need a TOOLBOX FILLED WITH YOUR STUPID SECURITY BITS.

So, I am faced with two choices. I can bend over and pay $5+ for the privilege of opening each special snowflake product by buying a domestic bit, or I can order an entire set of the bullshit parts I know I will eventually need again made with of pot-metal from China for the same price plus roughly a month of wait time.

I am pissed. Every time I try to do ANYTHING with electronics, even when I think I have all the bits I need, BAM hidden security bit/ torx!

So, here is the long, strange path I have taken. It is as close as I can be to going 'legit' and is a perfect example of WHY people use ROMS and one of them many places where game companies is failing.

I don't want to use ROMS. If I have reasonable access to a game, I will get physical possession of it. In the 90's, it was a lot more expensive to release games, so if something was not predicted to sell well in a certain region, it would see limited or no release. Systems had region chips in them, so they only played games released for one specific region. Hence why I *do* have ROMS for a few more obscure games that either never saw a North American release or are rare and very expensive. Most Sony games do NOT fall under this category, and can be obtained reasonably easily.

Now, the lasers in PS2s are junk. They have a high fail rate, burn out really easily. Sony stopped supporting them long ago. I have no interest in collecting Slim PS2s and throwing away old systems as lasers die. Even replacement lasers suck, since they have to use the same crappy technology that gave them a high failure rate. Most are repaired/ refurbished ones coming from China. Authentic ones cost as much as another PS2. Different kinds of discs burn out the lasers faster, especially when playing PSOne games, as I do. After fighting a dying laser for years, having to constantly open the system and adjust it to squeeze more life out of it, it died altogether. Replacing it has been a nightmare. Good lasers are a crapshoot. Adjusting them properly is a crapshoot. It take a long time to do the work, and even more when you need to swap it again cause the one you got was DOA. Even longer if you need to physically modify the laser to change the frequency to get it working right. I could go on and on about the troubles with opening them and fixing them.

So, I decided to burn through one last laser so I don't have to mess with this BS again. The old PS2 fats can take a network card, which can connect to old IDEE hard drives. These allow you to back up all of your games and play them directly from the hard drive, and therefore only need to use the laser when you are adding a new game to the backup. The newer Slim ones with much better lasers can do the same, but with USB 1.0 support as the only transfer option, the speeds are unacceptably bad for many games. So, the fats with the terrible lasers it is!

Now, IDEE is where the trouble begins. Ideally, I should have done this 4 years ago when IDEE drives were being dumped as they became obsolete. Now, they are expensive, and they are old. Hard drives also fail quite often. So, if it fails, I would be in the same spot, but 5 years later when IDEE are 5 times as much as they are now. There also is the drive limitation of 500GB max. I don't know exactly how much space I need, but with around 100 games, most of which are DVDs which can have a max of about 8GB, I have a feeling I would exceed 500GB.

So, converting to SATA seems to be the best option. More walls. I need a little converter adapter made for laptops, which means I need a laptop drive. There are ones for regular drives, but the space in the PS2 is limited. When you add the card, it requires you to physically modify the PS2 if you want to use a regular sized drive. I may consider going that route, depending on which SATA adapter cards work. Because, you see, these adapter cards are also all crap shoots. 90% are made in China POSes. There are expensive ones out there that are a pain to get a hold of, and come with mixed reviews on their effectiveness. I figure I will try out as many $5 ones as I can, keep returning them to Amazon until I get one that works.

OFC, Sony wanted you to buy THEIR hard drives to go with the PS2. The biggest one they offered was something like 40GB. And they are expensive for the amount of space, and a pain to source. They are just standard Maxtors anyways. So... uh, no. They made the spacing on the Network adapters *slightly* off, it seems. The SATA adapter I got does not fit. I can't move the connectors on it. So I opened up the Network adapter with a regular screwdrives so I can shift stuff around and make everything fit, and LO AND BEHOLD! Inside, holding the boards on, is a Torx. A small one. Who ****ing knows what size it is. It is one I don't have. Obviously. More parts to source, after sourcing for months already.

Security and Torx. In eyeballs. Twist. Etc.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Maya, tell us how you really feel.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I don't like lettuce in my burritos, either.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

AZ
    banned
    MMMMmmmmm, burrito's.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I don't like lettuce in my burritos, either.
    Dude! If burrito is going to have sour cream inside, it MUST also have lettuce. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Poor Maya has been out in the damned desert for too long. I've seen this before. So sad.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    The problem is that burritos generally end up steaming in their own wrap, and then the lettuce wilts and gets soggy...and is flavorless to begin with. Not good eats.

And then we eat them."

Binned
    Nov 2008
    The problem is that burritos generally end up steaming in their own wrap, and then the lettuce wilts and gets soggy...and is flavorless to begin with. Not good eats.
    Burritos MUST be eaten on the spot. This is not a "take home" food. And if they are getting soggy while you are sitting there at the food place, then you are not eating them fast enough. Eat faster. Take Tums when you get home from the indigestion. So good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Burritos MUST be eaten on the spot. This is not a "take home" food. And if they are getting soggy while you are sitting there at the food place, then you are not eating them fast enough. Eat faster. Take Tums when you get home from the indigestion. So good!
    Yes.

Dear people who make burritos, then put them in hot holding...

I want to shove hot peppers into every orifice of your body, until you understand the correlation between 'hot' and 'fresh'.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    i agree...however, originally, they were made to be eaten later, as a true 'to go' food.
    I am a texture purist.
    If it sits, I dont want it.
    but even if they sit in the red heat lamp, while the rest of your table's order is being put together...soggy lettuce.
    better to avoid it altogether.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    At a restaurant?? Nooooo get the fajitas or the house specialty! Burritos are fast food, meant to be eaten instantly or with one hand as you drive away

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Or on the engine manifold during a long distance drive.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Shimano is sooo ****ing lucky the socket wrench kit I got for other parts also came with the right sized torx, and even a hex I was missing.

While the kit had all the hex and torx sizes I have needed so far for my bike, as well as a random assortment of safety bits, it did not contain anything that fits any electronics I have tried it on.

Bastards.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    well, the original burrito was kept warm under the saddle blanket of a horse or Burro...I'll take a 5.4 liter v8 anyday

And then we eat them."

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^^^ Uggggh. Neither hot, nor fresh.... and afterwards you'll need that special over-sized torx driver to unplug the toilet.
    In the meantime, I hope you have a dog to blame for the noxious odors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishartbicycles View Post
    BTW, a really good burrito can be purchased on a Friday, heated up on the dash, and eaten for dinner on Sunday.
    Or on the engine manifold during a long distance drive.

Of course! That is how we make breakfast burritos around here! Cook the egg on the dash, bacon on the engine, heat the tortilla on the leather seats, then wrap it up in foil and melt the cheese on the hood. It will keep at consistently hot holding temperature for three months during summer.

mtbr member
    I am an expert on fine ass.

mtbr member
    I also care deeply about the condition of my ass, so I spend good money on quality saddles.

My WTB Pure V that was recommended is ok, but not great. I ordered a couple Terry saddles to try out, and am trying to find a used or NOS Butterfly Gel with CroMoly rails for 20-30 bucks

My ass is not easily pleased or contained.

The Boat or The Bike?
    I'm not going to say anything about this post.

Except that I hate all electronics and I like my burrito without the tortilla over lettuce, with sour cream...
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    As long as it does not require Torx wrench....
    Fine ass never requires Torx. Only shitty ass does.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    I like my burrito without the tortilla over lettuce, with sour cream...
    Is this some weirdo sexual fetish innuendo?

And then we eat them."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Give me Cilantro, thanks

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    You go ahead and keep telling yourself that.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    exactly. That's why I suggested foregoing the leafy greens altogether if the burrito might sit for more than a nanosecond.

And then we eat them."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I was recently introduced to SDG saddles. I have some variation of their saddle on all my bikes, now.

The Bel-Air and Allure look promising. They have the cutaway, which is the most important, and are fairly wide. I think I need a wider seat area, however, which is why I want to try the Terrys and see where they get me. I think the WTB is a hair too narrow, and the lack of complete cutaway is giving a bit of discomfort after a long ride, more so than the Serfas I had before that. Frankly, that one was almost perfect. Too much squish, though, I was getting gnarly rashes.

mtbr member
    This sounds more like Fajita talk to me.

**** the greens and fiber, load that bad boy up with MEAT and the two best vegetable ever, bell peppers and onion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So is it the deal here that every Bikemaya thread is really about sex? Or is it that every thread in the OC is really about sex?

mtbr member
    No, not this one. Only every other one I posted in tonight.

This one is about my ass in the saddle. And Torx. I hate those effin things. Did I mention I stripped one on my brakes too? Ya, I'm pissed. Gotta bleed them backwards now. Might work better that way anyways, using a syringe. We'll see.

But, anyways, **** TORX.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bikemaya, like all here, I too, am an expert on ass. However, not my own. I have no ass to speak of because cycling has kept me far too skinny.

I think you are actually angry about other things not just Torx, otherwise you'd just get a bunch of Torx bits for you toolbox like all the assless people do.

Soggy lettuce does suck, but I don't want to harm people.

The thought of this makes me sad.

Thanks!
    occasional cyclist

Binned
    Nov 2008
    well, the original burrito was kept warm under the saddle blanket of a horse or Burro...I'll take a 5.4 liter v8 anyday
    5.7 Hemi is far better

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    I am an expert on fine ass.
    So, would you consider your ass to be a "fine ass"?

I'm just messing with you
    Let me get this straight - you went through multiple paragraphs of hell, just to let the need for a new tool send you into a rant?

Obviously not a guy. We'd just go buy every size torx bit we could find, and a $100 worth of other tools just to show them who's boss.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

rho
    Life is strange

Re: Dear the inventor of, and companies who use Torx and Security Screws

I like torx AND lettuce in my burritos.

Sent by smoke signal.

banned
    Sep 2007
    This sounds more like Fajita talk to me.

**** the greens and fiber, load that bad boy up with MEAT and the two best vegetable ever, bell peppers and onion.
    And in 4 to 6 hours, that sounds like something Tom Leykas could take you out with. Burning eyes, singed nostrils and dutch ovens.

banned
    Sep 2007
    So, Bikemaya is to be trusted with fine ass, and lettuce, but not Torx screws.... Would you let her torque your nuts?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Is there a torx in your burrito?

mtbr member
    So, would you consider your ass to be a "fine ass"?
    When biking, I certainly would say it looks quite... perky. Fine is a taste thing, but I have been accused of having such I am a connoisseur of fine ass.

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Let me get this straight - you went through multiple paragraphs of hell, just to let the need for a new tool send you into a rant?

Obviously not a guy. We'd just go buy every size torx bit we could find, and a $100 worth of other tools just to show them who's boss.
    Oh, I love tools. So much so, I resent wasting what little money I have that could be spent on something very drool-worthy on one-time use specialty items. I could spend a decent personal fortune at a hardware store, and still have things left on my list.

You see, I discovered the true beauty of full workshops when I studied art. Our sculpture studio was very nicely equipped for the small department. Tons of different kinds of saws, welding stations with both gas and arc, full forge with modest smithing collection (which, unfortunately, was cold most of the time. They had trouble finding teachers who knew how to use it. Only the bronzing class used it, and bronzing is boring. It is basically ceramics with extra steps and bronze), possibly a furnace as well, but definitely a couple kilns, pneumatic lines running throughout, all the hand tools one could want, all the power tools one could want, plus plenty of SPACE to spread out and make stuff. It was my favorite place at school, and I do miss it so...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    So, Bikemaya is to be trusted with fine ass, and lettuce, but not Torx screws.... Would you let her torque your nuts?
    Not only should you, I would highly recommend it! Unless I hate you, then I only recommend it if you are a freak for pain.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    When biking, I certainly would say it looks quite... perky. Fine is a taste thing, but I have been accused of having such I am a connoisseur of fine ass.
    pic of it (in riding attire or not) or GTFO!

mtbr member
    pic of it (in riding attire or not) or GTFO!
    I'm still catching back up from a long, rough summer with no riding It is all flubby. ;_;

Also, I got rid of all *those* pictures a while ago... *ahem* I am a modern girl, I know better than to keep that stuff around!

My riding gear is also the most ridiculous getup, nothing fine about it... leggings, padded shorts OVER them superman style, jersey, hiking socks, skate shoes. I use leggings because I would rather rip them than my legs, the compression is awesome, obviously I can't have loose bits flying about, and they hold my knee pads up. Come to think of it, I do need to find a new pair, they are getting pretty ripped... The shorts go over cause they are too big, and I only have one pair and don't wanna sweat them all up. Jersey to keep me cool, socks pulled up to protect my ankles from the brush and stickers that jump up at them. I have had trouble finding shoes I like that are comfy. I am a newbie, so I hike a lot and need a hybrid shoe. I can't afford the good stuff. Will try some of the boot style/hi-top five tens at some point, but I always have SO much trouble fitting shoes. The skate shoes are actually 'skate style' work shoes from Dickies I got off a clearance rack for like 10 bucks. Steel toe and shank, flat bottom with a thick skate-style sole, grippy, roomy, and comfy. I could do a helluva lot worse!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I'm still catching back up from a long, rough summer with no riding It is all flubby. ;_;

Also, I got rid of all *those* pictures a while ago... *ahem* I am a modern girl, I know better than to keep that stuff around!

My riding gear is also the most ridiculous getup, nothing fine about it... leggings, padded shorts OVER them superman style, jersey, hiking socks, skate shoes. I use leggings because I would rather rip them than my legs, the compression is awesome, obviously I can't have loose bits flying about, and they hold my knee pads up. Come to think of it, I do need to find a new pair, they are getting pretty ripped... The shorts go over cause they are too big, and I only have one pair and don't wanna sweat them all up. Jersey to keep me cool, socks pulled up to protect my ankles from the brush and stickers that jump up at them. I have had trouble finding shoes I like that are comfy. I am a newbie, so I hike a lot and need a hybrid shoe. I can't afford the good stuff. Will try some of the boot style/hi-top five tens at some point, but I always have SO much trouble fitting shoes. The skate shoes are actually 'skate style' work shoes from Dickies I got off a clearance rack for like 10 bucks. Steel toe and shank, flat bottom with a thick skate-style sole, grippy, roomy, and comfy. I could do a helluva lot worse!
    I like a girl who knows what works for her. Good going! I too where baggies over leggings AND jersey over upper body under garment (when it's cool out).

I still think a quick little picture is in order of you wearing full bike attire garb. Sounds like you'd be all covered up considering what you've mentioned here so what's the big deal? Doesn't have to be a "fine ass" pic, either. The plus thing here is that if/when you do post a pic, Tone's is sure to come out from lurking. You have that sort of power here girl, use it!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sorry Bikmaya for overlooking this thread up until now. I promise from here on out to keep tabs on it. I'd hate to see a good rant go to waste. Rock on girl!
    BTW I'm with ya on the Torx special screw's and I don 't think I could have explained my frustration in any finer detail as you did.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Ok, new rant, this one is more practical;

Open enrollment time for insurance. For the last two years, it has been a no-brainer. Kaiser Southern California Plan is a DHMO. You have to do everything in the network, but the deductible is only $250 and you DO NOT need to meet that before payment kicks in, $2000 out-of-pocket maximum with no lifetime limit, doctor visits are all average price of $20-$35, some are free. 90% coinsurance!! for EVERYTHING. Hospital visits and ambulance also fall under that. Like, $1700 a year cost to me. Sweet plan for your average, low income young adult. I don't care what doctor I see, I don't have special problems I need my own *special* doctor for, and if I land in the hospital or I get a serious illness, it won't ruin me. In fact, I have Aflac that would pay enough to cover the modest $2000 out of pocket, in addition to 2 kinds of accident insurances I paid next to nothing for that would insure my income would still be there. I like to plan.

But everything has changed this year. Through my employer, I would have to get the *premium* coverage from Kaiser for over $1000 more, and STILL not get as good of coverage. Through the state website, I qualify to have taxpayers pay more than half of my annual costs, bringing me almost equal coverage for less. I still can't get it *that* good, however. AND! Kaiser is the MOST EXPENSIVE option through the state website, where it is by far the cheapest through my employer. The coverage through the state website appears to even be *slightly* better than the same plan from my employer, oddly enough.

I am confused, and frustrated. I just want my same insurance, every year. If they want a few extra bucks for inflation, that's fine. I have been pouring over this stuff for three hours now, and have still not gotten anywhere. This used to take me 30 minutes. Options were much more limited, but they were REALLY GOOD options, and pretty easy to choose from.

Frankly, I am not sure whether I am happy about the changes or mad. Overall, I will pay less, but I have less coverage. And I have to switch doctors and insurance companies. And I have to fuss around with the state registration since I need to decline through my employer, but still want their sweet vision, dental, life and accident insurances. Extra complexity for no reason, it seems. Why don't the insurance companies offer the same plans and discounts through my employer's open enrollment as the state requires them to? I feel like they are trying to rip people off to make up for the money they are losing by having to offer their plans on the open market.

Stupid insurance... I am already mad enough about having to pay a chunk of every paycheck as insurance against pure financial ruin. I could spend all that money on another bike, or maybe some video games... BEING AN ADULT SUCKS!

*pouts*

banned
    Sep 2007
    Ok, new rant, this one is more practical;

Open enrollment time for insurance. For the last two years, it has been a no-brainer. Kaiser Southern California Plan is a DHMO. You have to do everything in the network, but the deductible is only $250 and you DO NOT need to meet that before payment kicks in, $2000 out-of-pocket maximum with no lifetime limit, doctor visits are all average price of $20-$35, some are free. 90% coinsurance!! for EVERYTHING. Hospital visits and ambulance also fall under that. Like, $1700 a year cost to me. Sweet plan for your average, low income young adult. I don't care what doctor I see, I don't have special problems I need my own *special* doctor for, and if I land in the hospital or I get a serious illness, it won't ruin me. In fact, I have Aflac that would pay enough to cover the modest $2000 out of pocket, in addition to 2 kinds of accident insurances I paid next to nothing for that would insure my income would still be there. I like to plan.

But everything has changed this year. Through my employer, I would have to get the *premium* coverage from Kaiser for over $1000 more, and STILL not get as good of coverage. Through the state website, I qualify to have taxpayers pay more than half of my annual costs, bringing me almost equal coverage for less. I still can't get it *that* good, however. AND! Kaiser is the MOST EXPENSIVE option through the state website, where it is by far the cheapest through my employer. The coverage through the state website appears to even be *slightly* better than the same plan from my employer, oddly enough.

I am confused, and frustrated. I just want my same insurance, every year. If they want a few extra bucks for inflation, that's fine. I have been pouring over this stuff for three hours now, and have still not gotten anywhere. This used to take me 30 minutes. Options were much more limited, but they were REALLY GOOD options, and pretty easy to choose from.

Frankly, I am not sure whether I am happy about the changes or mad. Overall, I will pay less, but I have less coverage. And I have to switch doctors and insurance companies. And I have to fuss around with the state registration since I need to decline through my employer, but still want their sweet vision, dental, life and accident insurances. Extra complexity for no reason, it seems. Why don't the insurance companies offer the same plans and discounts through my employer's open enrollment as the state requires them to? I feel like they are trying to rip people off to make up for the money they are losing by having to offer their plans on the open market.

Stupid insurance... I am already mad enough about having to pay a chunk of every paycheck as insurance against pure financial ruin. I could spend all that money on another bike, or maybe some video games... BEING AN ADULT SUCKS!

*pouts*
    Careful, this is dropping napalm and politics into the same thread at once.

mtbr member
    People seemed to get quite a bit more worked up about the Torx screw bashing.

(and I intentionally didn't make a new thread about this, btw.)

banned
    Jun 2007
    Am one of the 5% that has independent health insurance that disappears @ midnight on 12/31, so can feel your frustration.
    The ACA's implementation plan is piss poor project management, which I can only hope is not telling of what lay ahead.
    Sick of the fear-mongering, am unable to yet replace my existing plan, and fully expect pain. Arrrrrggh!!!

Nowhere else in the WORLD is 68% of bankruptcy medically-related, and of those 72% actually had health insurance.
    Thanks to our politicians, hospitals, pharmaceutical co's, insurance industry, and physician's groups to whom this does not apply, or who get free Cadillac coverage... The U.S. citizens have long been abused by our existing healthcare system, and it must change. (end rant)

mtbr member
    More fussing with the insurance, calling around, etc. Insurance company says "Sorry, your company doesn't offer it anymore, check our website!". That plan is not on their website. :| HR says "We feel your pain, we are sorry about the crappy plans, that is the way it is." Dad, who is an employer, says "Write to your congressperson and call them out for lying about the changes!" I have four days for open enrollment, I don't have time to mess around.

So, the choices are... I can pay less than half of what I am currently paying to get it through the state. I have had a lot less hours this year, so I could use the break. But, the coverage is not *quite* as good, though I do qualify for a pretty decent plan by any other standards (just not STELLAR like my old one. ) Also, if there are problems getting the insurance to pay up, I am on my own fighting them. No corporate office to help me. I would also change insurance companies to one that really isn't rated as well as my current one. Kaiser seems to be amongst the best HMOs, and the rest are average to poor.

I can also pay $1000 MORE than I am currently paying for the best plan through my employer. Some things are better (lots of stuff is paid 100%, only $1500 out of pocket max), but other stuff isn't (some hefty upfront copays for common disaster stuff, like ER and impatient visits) The advantage is I would also have my company on my side to help me fight the insurance if they don't want to pony up. I am also better covered for total disaster, though I would pay more for minor stuff that just gets me in the ER/ hospital for a short time. I also wouldn't have to switch insurance companies. I have been happy with Kaiser!

What to do...

(and no, getting all political about it won't help anything, this is my selfish rant!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Am one of the 5% that has independent health insurance that disappears @ midnight on 12/31, so can feel your frustration.
    The ACA's implementation plan is piss poor project management, which I can only hope is not telling of what lay ahead.
    Sick of the fear-mongering, am unable to yet replace my existing plan, and fully expect pain. Arrrrrggh!!!

Nowhere else in the WORLD is 68% of bankruptcy medically-related, and of those 72% actually had health insurance.
    Thanks to our politicians, hospitals, pharmaceutical co's, insurance industry, and physician's groups to whom this does not apply, or who get free Cadillac coverage... The U.S. citizens have long been abused by our existing healthcare system, and it must change. (end rant)
    Ya, I don't want to get into politics too much, but I go back and forth about it. The system was broken for those not fortunate enough to work for a large company, like me. Most friends and people I know would have been/ were bankrupted at some point by medical expenses, even with insurance. But, changes to the system shouldn't mean I lose my perks for working with a big company! WTF?! Why bother, I put up with shitty pay because my ass is covered. Not anymore...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like your employer is weaseling out of stepping up to the plate for you, really.
    They could always pay the difference.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I don't think Kaiser even offers that plan anymore, as it isn't even on their website...

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Careful, this is dropping napalm and politics into the same thread at once.

Sadly healthcare used to have NOTHING to do with politics....
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

check your six
    And wow, I am with DJ, I am not sure how I missed this thread.

Bikemaya I feel your pain on the tiny ass torx you need to tear apart a Sony product. I have torn into the PS1, PS2, & recently the PS3. It's silly the amount of strange sized bits you need. But, are you sure you are not dealing with a dirty lens? I have fixed all three systems that wouldn't read discs by taking them apart and cleaning the lens. Using a "lens cleaner" never works, you have to actually clean the lens with rubbing alcohol. I just saved my PS3 three weeks ago from just this issue. Everything online pointed to replacing the blue ray drive, but I resorted to what I know works. It works like a charm now, especially since I was able to clean 6 years of dust and animal hair out of it by taking it apart.

Bummer on your healthcare options this year. I honestly have not even looked at mine yet. I'm kind of scared...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Ya, cleaning and realigning the lens is how I kept my PS2 running for years. I have a stack of fat PS2s I need to replace lenses in because I am trying to sell them. I'm trying to start a small video game sales business on the side. I haven't sold anything Everyone wants to *play* all my games, and tells me what awesome games I have in stock, and how much they loved those games... but the problem is, everyone who wants my awesome games already *has* them. Everyone else are cheap bastards who sold theirs to get one PS3 game, regret it, but don't feel like buying again. My prices are the lowest anywhere too, I uncut Gamestop with the slim systems (and only sell authentic Sony controllers with them!) and have my games all aggressively priced when compared to online stores. I would make very little off any sale, yet still can't sell anything. Booo...

The dying comes in stages, and it is really consistent with all of them;

First, they stop reading CDs. It is a tossup as to which kind is first, but it will always be either regular CDs, the black PS1 CDs, or the blue PS2 CDs. Next is double layer games, which is basically anything made in the last 2 years of PS2 game production. Finally, they stop reading all DVD games. I gave up on my PS2 when it stopped reading the double layer, because that was the game I was playing. It already stopped reading the PS1 games a while ago, and I couldn't get it consistently to do so.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Maya I have Kaiser, too. I am self employed so I pay them directly. It's expensive but it's hard to beat them for quality of service and care. For example, when I went over the cliff in 2011 and had to get air lifted out, it only cost me $100 for what turned out to be close to 9K in services. The $100 was for the Trauma Center's ER visit. That's what I call GOOD coverage!

I see too that they have changed their plans. I have been doing the $25/copay plan but the closest thing they offer now is the Platinum Plan. The coverage is not quite as good but it is $100/month cheaper. I have the option to Grandfather my current plan until they say no more, which may be any time. I haven't quite decided yet but I think I'm gonna switch to the Platinum Plan.

My wife also has Kaiser through her work and every year, her monthly portion goes up so get used to it. Sad, but true.

mtbr member
    They didn't give me the option to grandfather! Who did you talk to in order to get that? I called up Kaiser and the guy said 'Sorry, your company hasn't selected that plan for 2014. Check our website!' And their website didn't offer it...

Ya, I am considering the Platinum as well. Closest thing to what I had, but I am not sure I can justify the cost of $2800 a year, when I can get a Silver ++ (cause I don't make much) from another company for $600-$800 a year, with only a bit less coverage.

check your six
    Ya, cleaning and realigning the lens is how I kept my PS2 running for years. I have a stack of fat PS2s I need to replace lenses in because I am trying to sell them. I'm trying to start a small video game sales business on the side. I haven't sold anything Everyone wants to *play* all my games, and tells me what awesome games I have in stock, and how much they loved those games... but the problem is, everyone who wants my awesome games already *has* them. Everyone else are cheap bastards who sold theirs to get one PS3 game, regret it, but don't feel like buying again. My prices are the lowest anywhere too, I uncut Gamestop with the slim systems (and only sell authentic Sony controllers with them!) and have my games all aggressively priced when compared to online stores. I would make very little off any sale, yet still can't sell anything. Booo...

The dying comes in stages, and it is really consistent with all of them;

First, they stop reading CDs. It is a tossup as to which kind is first, but it will always be either regular CDs, the black PS1 CDs, or the blue PS2 CDs. Next is double layer games, which is basically anything made in the last 2 years of PS2 game production. Finally, they stop reading all DVD games. I gave up on my PS2 when it stopped reading the double layer, because that was the game I was playing. It already stopped reading the PS1 games a while ago, and I couldn't get it consistently to do so.
    Well now,.. you seem to have it way more covered than I do.. Good luck with your business. Where are you located? Around here, you lucky to get any money for a PS2. I think gamestop sells the refurb PS3s' for $125, I looked into it as a replacement for mine. The new blue ray drive was $150 alone.. As soon as the PS4 drops this month the prices are gonna fall even more. bummer...

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Since I pay them directly, they offered to Grandfather. For my daughter and I, it's gonna be $8400/year if I go with Platinum vs. another $1200/year if I stay Grandfathered with very slightly better coverage.

It's all 100% deductible though since I'm self employed but what I pain in the ass to pay out so much every month!!!

I also consider getting under my wife's work policy every year but the damned brokers charge so much that it's actually more expensive. Aren't brokers supposed to be getting us a better deal by jumping on board with large group discount policy??? That's another rant, though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    Well now,.. you seem to have it way more covered than I do.. Good luck with your business. Where are you located? Around here, you lucky to get any money for a PS2. I think gamestop sells the refurb PS3s' for $125, I looked into it as a replacement for mine. The new blue ray drive was $150 alone.. As soon as the PS4 drops this month the prices are gonna fall even more. bummer...
    I live in the low desert, Palm Springs/ Indio area. I have been surprised how many geeks I found down here, but most are into card games, board games, D&D, and an unusually large number of LARPers and RPers... Almost all of the gamers are the competitor types who play fighting games endlessly. I have all the good casual games!

mtbr member
    Since I pay them directly, they offered to Grandfather. For my daughter and I, it's gonna be $8400/year if I go with Platinum vs. another $1200/year if I stay Grandfathered with very slightly better coverage.

It's all 100% deductible though since I'm self employed but what I pain in the ass to pay out so much every month!!!

I also consider getting under my wife's work policy every year but the damned brokers charge so much that it's actually more expensive. Aren't brokers supposed to be getting us a better deal by jumping on board with large group discount policy??? That's another rant, though...
    Yuuck... you should look at your state's website and see if you can do better with the price on the Kaiser Platinum (they have one in California, at least, not sure if it is the same). That is an awful lot of money...

check your six
    but most are into card games, board games, D&D, and an unusually large number of LARPers and RPers... Almost all of the gamers are the competitor types who play fighting games endlessly.
    Ohh man... That is rough... Nothing worse than LARPers!! +2 DAMAGE , +2DAMAGE!!

mtbr member
    The LARPers seem to mostly hide up in the mountains, though they do venture down to the valley when the weather is nice.

check your six
    The LARPers seem to mostly hide up in the mountains, though they do venture down to the valley when the weather is nice.

Ahahaha!!! It reminds me of this!! It's a must watch for the video alone..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VufilzHKTqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maaaaan
    And this philosophy is why I don't hardly ever ride my mountain bike anymore, and why I own a PC for gaming instead of a play station etc.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    That's why I prefer to not play those games at all...mt. Biking is a real life video game!

And then we eat them."

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Yuuck... you should look at your state's website and see if you can do better with the price on the Kaiser Platinum (they have one in California, at least, not sure if it is the same). That is an awful lot of money...
    We make "too much money" (yeah, right!) to qualify for assistance or special programs....oh, brother...

check your six
    That's why I prefer to not play those games at all...mt. Biking is a real life video game!
    Being from South Dakota, I am real used to shutting it down about December time. Winter is when I get to take care of countless videos to edit of the year from fishing, whitewater kayaking, biking, camping, hiking, skiing to vacations... I take this time to indulge with my inner nerd and get it all done while loosing myself in a mindless video game occasionally. Winter is my (much looked forward to) downtime.. And I am about 1 month out from full time nerd-ness... haha..

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    They didn't give me the option to grandfather! Who did you talk to in order to get that? I called up Kaiser and the guy said 'Sorry, your company hasn't selected that plan for 2014. Check our website!' And their website didn't offer it...

Ya, I am considering the Platinum as well. Closest thing to what I had, but I am not sure I can justify the cost of $2800 a year, when I can get a Silver ++ (cause I don't make much) from another company for $600-$800 a year, with only a bit less coverage.
    If its any consolation, me, my wife, and one child pay over $12,000 a yr. that's two bikes!

And then we eat them."

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sounds like someone need's to take a little Rant - O - Way.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...55980276,d.cGE
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    *shakes head at prices*
    How do insurance companies get away with that still?? I work in the background of the big parties, making LESS PER HOUR than the clients are paying per piece for a single bite appetizer (we call them canapes. I LAUGH at the prices we sell the stupid things at...) so I am well aware how much money they have to throw away. So much money, they don't look at the price of food. Most clients just sign the check. $45 per person for a lunch of cheap flat meats, cheap cheese, cold salads and wonderbread? SURE. *facepalm*

I was raised middle class, and WE shopped on a budget for groceries, scouring over every price tag, scrutinizing over every item in the cart, trimming down the list for next week if something is too much... I am poorer now, and I buy the old bread off the clearance shelf and freeze it, buy the old meat and freeze it, buy the old veggies and make a large portion of something and freeze it... it's the only way I can afford fresh food. I only sometimes bring a list, and it is usually vague. I can't afford to be at the whim of sales and plan meals before I go in. I plan them at the grocery store, otherwise I couldn't afford to cook...

Ugh. I am ranting again. Nevermind...

*LOLs at video*

I switched to mostly PC gaming as well, which is why I don't have the current gen stuff (except a Wii, I am a Nintendo fangirl, Nintendo has too many exclusives I love, plus it is backwards compatible and has all sorts of classic games I like on their marketplace... )

I think I posted this story before, but it is a rant thread, so I suppose I will post it again.

When I first learned to ride a bike, probably around age 5-6, as soon as those training wheels came off and I was tearing up the neighborhood, I wanted a 'big kid's bike'. IE, a mountain bike. I begged and begged for one, but I got the usual response of 'Maybe Santa will bring one for Christmas'. On my list were the usual things; Mountain Bike, Super Nintendo, a list of games for Super Nintendo, and a couple of stupid small things I didn't care about. Maybe a TV or something so I could play my system. But, mostly, I *really* wanted the bike and SNES. My brother also begged for the SNES, but neither of us got it. That was my parent's subtle way of saying 'no'. We didn't get allowances either, and they confiscated all checks and large sums of cash and stuck them in bank accounts for 'later', so it wasn't like we could save or anything. They were sneaky like that, making sure they controlled everything we brought into the house. They were on a tight budget too, most likely.

One summer, my dad surprised my brother and I by taking us to Toys 'R Us, and told us we could *each* spend $150 on something to keep us busy for summer. He nudged me and said that happened to be how much mountain bikes were, and took me over to see them while my brother ran off. I was GIDDY I could afford one! I picked out a cool maroon 20" thing, don't remember the brand. Maybe a huffy, maybe a mongoose, who knows. My dad even said I could go a little over, and bought me a new helmet and some pads. He walked that thing up to the counter, me strutting behind him. We are checking out and my brother walks up, my heart dropping. An SNES. And my dad was letting him get it.

In a normal family, this would be a great moment. I get both! Alas, my brother is a grade A *******. He locked his systems in his room, playing them all day on a TV my parents conned me into spending birthday money on to help him buy, never allowing me to touch the games. He would smile and laugh and say 'you can watch TV, but you can't play MY games', before locking them up or taking them with him. When we were a bit older, and he grew stronger, he would beat me up if he found me in his room, playing his games. My parents rolled their eyes and said they 'hated those damned video games', but never made him share. Ever. That's another rant, though.

So I rode the shit outta that bike. All summer. Up and down the street. I felt daring, and hiked it up a hill to the wash nearby, and rode it around the dirt path of the wash, then hiked it back down. I was too scared to ride it down. I would also ride it to the top of the street, hike it through some housing construction and open desert, in order to get to a nice, old neighborhood that wasn't yet connected by a road, and rode around there. I was always gone late, and didn't worry too much about the SNES at the time.

Apparently, I had too much fun, and my brother was spending too much time locked in his room playing video games. So how did my parents solve this? Why, by getting HIM a bike the next summer! And, bikes for them too! So they could 'ride with me', they said. Did *I* get an SNES that summer?? No. Did my brother ever lose his privileges for being a giant wart? Nope. And the family rides blew ass chunks. My parents pushed me miles and miles away, way further than I had ever ridden, at a way faster pace than my fat legs could carry me, then yelled and screamed at me for not keeping up and ruining the family rides. After a few of those, I lost interest in the bike, got too fat to ride or hike, and my teenage years were boring and brutally awful, being denied my favorite things while being too awkward to find new groups and interests.

And **** those ****ing years, I still LOVE video games and bikes and nature! And, I developed a previously unnutured love that was always in the back of my heart... ART! (I LOVED crafts as a kid, but always thought they were 'playtime' and not anything practical that I should focus on. No one told or showed me otherwise until I was older, and rediscovered that love that has brought me out of my blues and ruts many times over the years. )

A happy story for you guys this time!!

mtbr member
    Another rant, cause I am on a roll, and am wasted off one average cocktail (all I have eaten since Thursday) due to being on another fasting cycle in an attempt to rein myself in...

Plus, this is the internet. And a biking forum. **** it.

And **** this ****ing body. Seriously.

I feel selfish for even being mad. I am medically really ****ing healthy. The kind that makes athletes jealous. And I feel infinitely guilty and ashamed of myself, for squandering it and having no self control. I feel so isolated by it too. People judge with one look. You can hide drugs, you can hide gambling, you an hide a terrible personality, but I can't hide this. Never. Always my shame. It isn't who I am, it isn't who I want to be. But that is never enough to stop it. Crying myself to sleep, living my life with resentment over my own weakness, enough knowledge and nutrition counseling to get myself a degree in it... all it reveals is the raw truth.

I am addicted. Addicted to food. I don't have control. Sometimes I can wrestle some control back. Sometimes I can maintain for a while. The problem is, it is a drug I must ingest to live. I always eventually slide. Always. My brain... craves that happiness, that satisfaction. It finds it in such few, fleeting things in life. But always, the cravings return. And I have to indulge them eventually. Again, and again, and again... until I lose control again. And I desperately try to wrestle it back.

I have the soul of a 100lb spitfire. I want a life of running through forests, skiing, biking, doing stupid shit someone as young and in as good of health as me should be doing. I have always wanted that life. But I am stuck in a prison of myself, my own bullshit I can't find a way out of. So I am left dreaming, and crying, day after day, year after year. It defines my life. Hatred and disgust of myself that no other person could ever come close to feeling towards me, and a life I don't want, wishing for any other. I resent every moment of weakness, and resent myself for having a life defined by it. I am almost 30, and have never... lived the way I want to. As long as I can remember, I have been pounding my fists against this immovable wall, the immovable mass of my body. I have never been comfortable with myself. I have never felt right. And it brings endless agony, but never any strength to change.

My brain orgasms in happiness, something I have so much trouble finding in the everyday, in every bite I take. I scream to myself, again, and again, and again... STOP! STOP! YOU ARE KILLING YOURSELF! But it doesn't help. The ecstasy is overwhelming. The voice fades, the food is delicious. I feel satisfied, happy, content. Another day of failure, giving into my weakness. Day after day gives way to year after year as the pounds come back, and everything in life I value takes a backseat to my addiction. No threats or yelling do anything. No kind advice or nurturing helps. Only food ends the craving. Like a zombie, I forget everything else in pursuit of my brain's raw desires...

I have never been proud of myself, never one of those girls who are 'big and beautiful'. That is not my soul... it feels like a curse. A punishment. I must have been a terrible skinny ***** in a few dozen previous lives. For some reason, maybe I deserve this. Maybe there is something to learn. Or maybe I am just a selfish, weak fatty like all the stares tell me I am.

You know my worst quality with one look at me, and it scares everyone. My shame is why I am isolated, and why I keep myself isolted. I talk to people online who can't see me, can;t judge me. But I put on a mask in real life. A carefully crafted one, built from years of scars. Both personally inflicted and inflicted by others. Everyone thinks I am happy, and cheerful. It keeps them optimistic, makes them think I am doing ok and life is just swell.

It isn't.

It never has been.

It has been an agonizing struggle, further complicated with the self awareness of the selfishness of my white girl, first world problems. I am so torn apart in the inside, down to my soul, but also so painfully aware of my insignificance. I could have been abused, war survivor, raped, starved, oppressed... but I am just fat, and nothing in my world seems to be a larger crime than that, no matter how much I shame myself otherwise. On the outside, it is evidence of how fortunate of a life I have lead. On the inside, it feels like evidence of how terrible of a person I am. There is no worse crime than the bright, supernova light of a life I have wasted; my own. Wasted for my own weakness, my own selfishness. A life begging to be lived, but only squandered.

That post got long.

It took a few more shots.

I considered saving it until morning, but I know my gawd damned common sense would have just deleted it.

Whatever.

It feels better to post my bullshit, get it off my chest.

Thanks, OC, for hosting my drunken selfish ramblings. <3

Now or never...

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Wow, a girl with a fine ass who is a cheap date (gets drunk easily). I can't believe Tones hasn't chimed in on this yet???

In all seriousness:

Darling, you go right ahead let it out whenever you need to. We are here for you, we are your friends and we your other family. Thanks for sharing, we all need to vent so it's OK. Cheers.

check your six
    Keep your head up Bikemaya... Be who you are, and not what you think others want you to be.

banned
    Sep 2007
    It's pedal time, bikemaya. Do whatever you need to do to make your self happy. Gotta please #1 sometimes.

mtbr member

Dear the inventor of, and companies who use Torx and Security Screws

Paying direct may have been the reason Kaiser gave you for Grandfathering in your policy, however that is not quite accurate.

In order to be Grandfathered in under ACA, the policy must meet a set of required coverages (maternity care, prenatal care, drug & alcohol addiction care, psychiatric care, etc,). All of these are considered parts of a premium health care coverage plan. That is why all the new plans are so much more expensive. There are no more low cost, stripped down plans for those of us with few health concerns.
    Furthermore, if there are any changes to the existing plan that affect what you pay, the plan must but eliminated. Even if the insurer wants to reduce your copays from $5 down to $4.50, the plan is no longer valid and must be abolished.

Foolishness. This is what we get for allowing the government fiddle around with healthcare. My 70 yr old mother does not need prenatal care, maternity care, or drug addiction services. But she's paying for it with her new healthcare plan.
    Why? In the words of Ezekial Emmanual, Obama's spokesman for the ACA, "because we have to spread the cost around". Socialism in action.

I currently have an HSA/PPO plan through my work. I am not looking forward to what is going to happen to that in the near future. The HSA account has tens of thousands of dollars stashed away. My family has been very careful and conservative in how we use that money. Now the whole thing is in jeopardy. Obama, and others in the government, have talked about confiscating HSA funds for use in funding ACA.
    If that happens, you will be seeing one pissed off SOB commiting some serious Brewtality.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I have a massive $250 or so in my HSA, minus the $50 or so I spent earlier in the year buying all the cough syrup and zinc tablets I could get from Walgreens. I need an eye exam and some new lenses. Maybe some frames, I really hate the ones he sold me last year. That about covers the remainder.

ie, I DON'T USE IT. I don't need it now, but it expires every year. That bums me out, I wish it was a savings I could stash for a rainy day my bike slips out from under me and I break my leg... HSA is a good idea in concept, but falls short for your average healthy person.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Paying direct may have been the reason Kaiser gave you for Grandfathering in your policy, however that is not quite accurate.

In order to be Grandfathered in under ACA, the policy must meet a set of required coverages (maternity care, prenatal care, drug & alcohol addiction care, psychiatric care, etc,). All of these are considered parts of a premium health care coverage plan. That is why all the new plans are so much more expensive. There are no more low cost, stripped down plans for those of us with few health concerns.
    Furthermore, if there are any changes to the existing plan that affect what you pay, the plan must but eliminated. Even if the insurer wants to reduce your copays from $5 down to $4.50, the plan is no longer valid and must be abolished.

Foolishness. This is what we get for allowing the government fiddle around with healthcare. My 70 yr old mother does not need prenatal care, maternity care, or drug addiction services. But she's paying for it with her new healthcare plan.
    Why? In the words of Ezekial Emmanual, Obama's spokesman for the ACA, "because we have to spread the cost around". Socialism in action.

I currently have an HSA/PPO plan through my work. I am not looking forward to what is going to happen to that in the near future. The HSA account has tens of thousands of dollars stashed away. My family has been very careful and conservative in how we use that money. Now the whole thing is in jeopardy. Obama, and others in the government, have talked about confiscating HSA funds for use in funding ACA.
    If that happens, you will be seeing one pissed off SOB commiting some serious Brewtality.
    I heard on TV last night that Obama said that if you can keep your current coverage AS LONG AS YOU DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. Before that he was saying you can keep your current coverage if you want, plain and simple.

So, if I decide to go with a different plan within my current insurer, does that constitute a "change"???

Did he mean that if any of us changes anything with our current coverage that we HAVE TO switch to Obama Care???

My understanding was that there an immediate and well voiced uproar after he said that on Natl TV.

mtbr member

I have a massive $250 or so in my HSA, minus the $50 or so I spent earlier in the year buying all the cough syrup and zinc tablets I could get from Walgreens. I need an eye exam and some new lenses. Maybe some frames, I really hate the ones he sold me last year. That about covers the remainder.

ie, I DON'T USE IT. I don't need it now, but it expires every year. That bums me out, I wish it was a savings I could stash for a rainy day my bike slips out from under me and I break my leg... HSA is a good idea in concept, but falls short for your average healthy person.
    That is not an HSA. HSAs do not expire. I have no requirement to use the money before the end of the year. In an HSA, that money is mine to keep, tax free, as long as I don't spend it, after age 59.5. It can be invested in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, just like a 401k.

You are referring to a Cafeteria plan.

mtbr member

I heard on TV last night that Obama said that if you can keep your current coverage AS LONG AS YOU DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. Before that he was saying you can keep your current coverage if you want, plain and simple.

So, if I decide to go with a different plan within my current insurer, does that constitute a "change"???

Did he mean that if any of us changes anything with our current coverage that we HAVE TO switch to Obama Care???

My understanding was that there an immediate and well voiced uproar after he said that on Natl TV.
    If you like your plan, you can keep it, as long as the plan meets the guidelines set by ACA, AND the plan never changes either it's costs to you or it's levels of coverage. Of course they couldn't have sold that to the American people ahead of time, so he just said, if you like your plan, you can keep it. He knew ahead of time that nobody was ever going to be able to keep their plan. He wanted it that way. But he also knew he could never tell anybody that on the front side. Either he knew damn well what was going to happen, or he's a complete idiot living in a fantasy world. I'll let you decide on that.

The idea that insurance companies are now required to deliver all these new coverages and the costs won't go up, is ridiculous.
    Obama's comments about changes and coverages this week started to shed more light on the truth of ACA, but the worst has yet to come.
    In the end, what we will have is tens of millions more Americans without health care coverage, than we had before ACA. You have people being dropped by their insurance carriers by the tens of thousands, who can not afford the new ACA required Cadillac plans. And they do not qualify for ACA help for one reason or another. I am certain that that is the boat I will be in shortly here.
    When ACA finally implodes, because too few young, healthy people are signing up, the next step will be a Clinton-esque single payer government run healthcare system. All Americans will receive their healthcare directly from the federal government within ten years. You can count on that.

check your six

This shouldn't surprise anyone.. It "ObamaCare" has been a big lie since inception. I mean, who say's "We have to pass the bill before we can read the bill"?

No Stranger to danger....
    Maya, your even sexier when your angry, can we please have more of your rants lol..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

No Stranger to danger....
    Another rant, cause I am on a roll, and am wasted off one average cocktail (all I have eaten since Thursday) due to being on another fasting cycle in an attempt to rein myself in...

Plus, this is the internet. And a biking forum. **** it.

And **** this ****ing body. Seriously.

I feel selfish for even being mad. I am medically really ****ing healthy. The kind that makes athletes jealous. And I feel infinitely guilty and ashamed of myself, for squandering it and having no self control. I feel so isolated by it too. People judge with one look. You can hide drugs, you can hide gambling, you an hide a terrible personality, but I can't hide this. Never. Always my shame. It isn't who I am, it isn't who I want to be. But that is never enough to stop it. Crying myself to sleep, living my life with resentment over my own weakness, enough knowledge and nutrition counseling to get myself a degree in it... all it reveals is the raw truth.

I am addicted. Addicted to food. I don't have control. Sometimes I can wrestle some control back. Sometimes I can maintain for a while. The problem is, it is a drug I must ingest to live. I always eventually slide. Always. My brain... craves that happiness, that satisfaction. It finds it in such few, fleeting things in life. But always, the cravings return. And I have to indulge them eventually. Again, and again, and again... until I lose control again. And I desperately try to wrestle it back.

I have the soul of a 100lb spitfire. I want a life of running through forests, skiing, biking, doing stupid shit someone as young and in as good of health as me should be doing. I have always wanted that life. But I am stuck in a prison of myself, my own bullshit I can't find a way out of. So I am left dreaming, and crying, day after day, year after year. It defines my life. Hatred and disgust of myself that no other person could ever come close to feeling towards me, and a life I don't want, wishing for any other. I resent every moment of weakness, and resent myself for having a life defined by it. I am almost 30, and have never... lived the way I want to. As long as I can remember, I have been pounding my fists against this immovable wall, the immovable mass of my body. I have never been comfortable with myself. I have never felt right. And it brings endless agony, but never any strength to change.

My brain orgasms in happiness, something I have so much trouble finding in the everyday, in every bite I take. I scream to myself, again, and again, and again... STOP! STOP! YOU ARE KILLING YOURSELF! But it doesn't help. The ecstasy is overwhelming. The voice fades, the food is delicious. I feel satisfied, happy, content. Another day of failure, giving into my weakness. Day after day gives way to year after year as the pounds come back, and everything in life I value takes a backseat to my addiction. No threats or yelling do anything. No kind advice or nurturing helps. Only food ends the craving. Like a zombie, I forget everything else in pursuit of my brain's raw desires...

I have never been proud of myself, never one of those girls who are 'big and beautiful'. That is not my soul... it feels like a curse. A punishment. I must have been a terrible skinny ***** in a few dozen previous lives. For some reason, maybe I deserve this. Maybe there is something to learn. Or maybe I am just a selfish, weak fatty like all the stares tell me I am.

You know my worst quality with one look at me, and it scares everyone. My shame is why I am isolated, and why I keep myself isolted. I talk to people online who can't see me, can;t judge me. But I put on a mask in real life. A carefully crafted one, built from years of scars. Both personally inflicted and inflicted by others. Everyone thinks I am happy, and cheerful. It keeps them optimistic, makes them think I am doing ok and life is just swell.

It isn't.

It never has been.

It has been an agonizing struggle, further complicated with the self awareness of the selfishness of my white girl, first world problems. I am so torn apart in the inside, down to my soul, but also so painfully aware of my insignificance. I could have been abused, war survivor, raped, starved, oppressed... but I am just fat, and nothing in my world seems to be a larger crime than that, no matter how much I shame myself otherwise. On the outside, it is evidence of how fortunate of a life I have lead. On the inside, it feels like evidence of how terrible of a person I am. There is no worse crime than the bright, supernova light of a life I have wasted; my own. Wasted for my own weakness, my own selfishness. A life begging to be lived, but only squandered.

That post got long.

It took a few more shots.

I considered saving it until morning, but I know my gawd damned common sense would have just deleted it.

Whatever.

It feels better to post my bullshit, get it off my chest.

Thanks, OC, for hosting my drunken selfish ramblings. <3

Now or never...
    Maya, let me remind you, you cant buy or hide your warmth, amazing spirit, your humour, expression, love for life, you let out a special glow girl that can be felt through a computer, your a very special girl, the way you express yourself and the person you are is very attractive, so dont forget that.

No body is perfect, dont expect yourself to be, be proud of the amazing woman you are, i really mean this, you have a very attractive spirit, love yourself for the special woman you are...

And if you need a bit of lovin, come down here to Oz, i'll look after you
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Binned
    Nov 2008
    If you like your plan, you can keep it, as long as the plan meets the guidelines set by ACA, AND the plan never changes either it's costs to you or it's levels of coverage. Of course they couldn't have sold that to the American people ahead of time, so he just said, if you like your plan, you can keep it. He knew ahead of time that nobody was ever going to be able to keep their plan. He wanted it that way. But he also knew he could never tell anybody that on the front side. Either he knew damn well what was going to happen, or he's a complete idiot living in a fantasy world. I'll let you decide on that.

The idea that insurance companies are now required to deliver all these new coverages and the costs won't go up, is ridiculous.
    Obama's comments about changes and coverages this week started to shed more light on the truth of ACA, but the worst has yet to come.
    In the end, what we will have is tens of millions more Americans without health care coverage, than we had before ACA. You have people being dropped by their insurance carriers by the tens of thousands, who can not afford the new ACA required Cadillac plans. And they do not qualify for ACA help for one reason or another. I am certain that that is the boat I will be in shortly here.
    When ACA finally implodes, because too few young, healthy people are signing up, the next step will be a Clinton-esque single payer government run healthcare system. All Americans will receive their healthcare directly from the federal government within ten years. You can count on that.
    Thanks for your input Brew, much appreciated. I have to admit that I am in the grey about this whole thing since I had planned to stay with my current insurer.

But a few things you mentioned here raised my eyebrows and I have to ask...

1) The premium I will be paying my insurer next year is never supposed go up again by law?!!! You're kidding? What about cost increases, inflation, etc,...

2) My question is still not answered, if I choose to go with a different plan within my current insurer, can I go that route or will I be required by law to go with Obuma Care??? In other words, is that considered a "change" on my behalf? My insurer has sent a whole bunch of literature stating that their new polices meet the new guidelines, so if I do not Grandfather and move into one of their new plans that meet the guidelines, is that a disqualifying "change"?

mtbr member

Thanks for your input Brew, much appreciated. I have to admit that I am in the grey about this whole thing since I had planned to stay with my current insurer.

But a few things you mentioned here raised my eyebrows and I have to ask...

1) The premium I will be paying my insurer next year is never supposed go up again by law?!!! You're kidding? What about cost increases, inflation, etc,...
    Incredulous huh? The government is essentially telling businesses that they can NEVER change their rates, even if it is better for the consumer.

2) My question is still not answered, if I choose to go with a different plan within my current insurer, can I go that route or will I be required by law to go with Obuma Care??? In other words, is that considered a "change" on my behalf? My insurer has sent a whole bunch of literature stating that their new polices meet the new guidelines, so if I do not Grandfather and move into one of their new plans that meet the guidelines, is that a disqualifying "change"?
    AFAIK, if your plan is no longer valid, or you chose to change coverage plans, you have to go to the state exchange website and chose a plan from there. Of course the websites don't work. And when you do sign up, and chose a coverage, you won't know what it's actually going to cost until you commit to it.
    There is no "Obama Care" plan. You chose a coverage from the exchange website and then receive assistance from the government based on your income.
    ACA sets standards for what the plans have to cover, who they have to cover, how much doctors can charge and how much assistance consumers get from the government.

Here's a neat loophole that should make your blood absolutely boil. When means testing individuals for government assistance with ACA, the only standard they look at is income. That's it. You could take zero income home, but have $1million in stocks and bonds and qualify to have the government cover your health coverage 100%. And that scenario is not as far fetched as it might seem. There are plenty of CEOs whose income is only $1/year, but they are paid in company stock certificates. It's feasible under ACA for millionaires and billionaires to receive 100% coverage from the government. It's unlikely, but it's entirely possible for that to happen. And that should outrage every American. ACA is a poorly written law and we allowed the government to pass it anyway.

mtbr member
    That is not an HSA. HSAs do not expire. I have no requirement to use the money before the end of the year. In an HSA, that money is mine to keep, tax free, as long as I don't spend it, after age 59.5. It can be invested in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, just like a 401k.

You are referring to a Cafeteria plan.
    Huh, that's odd. They called it an HSA when I signed up for it, and it was tacked on and sold to me with Kaiser. But I also got a letter last month that said to use it or lose it by January!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Huh, that's odd. They called it an HSA when I signed up for it, and it was tacked on and sold to me with Kaiser. But I also got a letter last month that said to use it or lose it by January!
    Use it or lose it because of the law changes, otherwise it would probably remain the same.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Maybe I should move to Australia. I wonder if Tones would take me under his wing until I got the hang of things there. I bet their health care situation is all squared away and working perfectly and fairly for everyone.

BTW Tones, I'd make a great deckhand and I can dig in gardens just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Maya, let me remind you, you cant buy or hide your warmth, amazing spirit, your humour, expression, love for life, you let out a special glow girl that can be felt through a computer, your a very special girl, the way you express yourself and the person you are is very attractive, so dont forget that.

No body is perfect, dont expect yourself to be, be proud of the amazing woman you are, i really mean this, you have a very attractive spirit, love yourself for the special woman you are...

And if you need a bit of lovin, come down here to Oz, i'll look after you
    Awww Tones, you are so sweet!

You earned a quick pic of my boobies...

Dear the inventor of, and companies who use Torx and Security Screws-8743071426_562ee55803_z.jpg

Aren't they precious?! ^_^

Hey, if you are buying the tickets down, I will pay for my hotel room. Such an act would earn you one free glancing graze against my boobs OR ass! If you try both, or go in for seconds, I will smack you. If you persist, I will knee you in the nuts. And if you still manage to continue after that, I will claw at your eyes, face, mouth, and clothes, throw your bloody, bruised, naked body into the ocean, and make passionate, sadistically abusive love with you.

Hmmm... I better pack my whip, chains, cuffs, and leathers... hmmm... and that huge, black, 3 1/2" wide... you know which one...

Tones has been such a naughty troll...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    This shouldn't surprise anyone.. It "ObamaCare" has been a big lie since inception. I mean, who say's "We have to pass the bill before we can read the bill"?
    Only a doctor requesting a stool sample should say that.

banned
    Sep 2007

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8743071426_562ee55803_z.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	844974

Hey, if you are buying the tickets down, I will pay for my hotel room. Such an act would earn you one free glancing graze against my boobs OR ass! If you try both, or go in for seconds, I will smack you. If you persist, I will knee you in the nuts. And if you still manage to continue after that, I will claw at your eyes, face, mouth, and clothes, throw your bloody, bruised, naked body into the ocean, and make passionate, sadistically abusive love with you.

Hmmm... I better pack my whip, chains, cuffs, and leathers... hmmm... and that huge, black, 3 1/2" wide... you know which one...

3 1/2" wide Snap ON Billie Jean King Model?

Binned
    Nov 2008

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8743071426_562ee55803_z.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	844974

I've got a couple of issues here...

One, you're bra is waaaay to tight, honey. Your boobs are blue from a lack of circulation. Let the girls breathe.

Two, if you go to see Tones, there won't be any "hotel room". You'll be collected at the airport, and stored in his dungeon.

Good luck with those.

mtbr member
    The boobies are blue cause it attracts teh ladies!

....ya, I don't get it either.

ME stored in HIS dungeon?! Pffft. As if. I have my own arrangements, tyvm. I will give you a hint; Have you ever see those shark cages people feed great whites from?

I had to google Billy Jean King. Damn, you're old!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    ME stored in HIS dungeon?! Pffft. As if. I have my own arrangements, tyvm. I will give you a hint; Have you ever see those shark cages people feed great whites from?
    Ohhhhhhh!

You naughty, naughty girl!!!!

Is the cage suspended from the ceiling at least?

mtbr member
    Wait, I thought Aussies were born with gills?

I mean, they are ugly enough....

*runs*

Binned
    Nov 2008
    What a flirt!!! Tone's is gonna have his hands full with you, isn't he?

mtbr member
    I want to throttle the next politician I meet. And that ******* on the phone who talked down to me the whole time.

APPARENTLY, because my company offers benefits, I DO NOT qualify for state assisted health care. If I did, I would pay around $60 for a plan that is eons better than the plan they EXPECT me to pay through my company, that will instead cost me twice that. Affordable health care is only available to people whose employers don't have benefits!

But! The representative tells me. This is ok, because my company and every company has a minimum amount of universal coverage they are REQUIRED to provide! Hey, genius, they ALWAYS provided that, and it was ALWAYS better than it is now. Even Wally World had cheaper benefits for the price than what I am looking at now. I had a great plan, great coverage, and I could afford it.

Now, here is my situation. I am required to sign up for one of the 'minimum' plans my company offers. On top of that, I am NOT allowed to sign up for a plan that will cost me more than 9.5% of my income, cause that would make it unaffordable, and that is ILLEGAL. I was paying about 10% of my income for insurance before, and was very happy. In order to get close to the coverage I had before, I would have to sign up for a plan that will cost around 15% of my income, and still not get as good of coverage. But, to do so, would be ILLEGAL. And, no, I still can't get the special poor kid discount on BETTER plans.

Wait, what?

And the worse part?

I found out where my kick-ass plan went. Oh yes. It took hours, over a day, in fact, of scouring the state website, and there it was. If I made $1000 less than I did last year, which is very possible I did since business was slow, I could get my old plan back. Almost identical, same insurance company, and it costs half as much as what I was happily paying for it. But I can't have it. Oh no. Because my company offers shiny new FEDERAL APPROVED TIERED PLANS, so obviously I can afford to pay $5000 out of pocket maximums, $800 deductibles, and 30% coinsurance. Did they miss the part where I am just shy of qualifying for the poverty people insurance?! Ya, spoke to that rep too. I make $2000 too much. $2600 of that 'too much' needs to go to my new insurance plan, because I am going to break the ****ing law and pay too much.

I am feeling violent. Who am I going to scream at? I feel like, as a citizen, I only get to talk to brick walls, answering machines, and paper shredders. Oh, and condescending reps who insist this is a good thing, and I need to just buck up and deal with it. The *other* poor people obviously deserve it more, because their companies are poopy heads who don't provide insurance. DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK A COLLEGE GRADUATE IS PUTTING UP WITH A POVERTY LEVEL JOB UNTIL THE ECONOMY RECOVERS JUST SO SHE CAN HAVE GOOD BENEFITS AND ****ING SURVIVE THIS BULLSHIT?!

OMFG. **** government employees. They don't give a flying **** because THEIR ****ING COMPANY HAS THE BEST BENEFITS IN THE COUNTRY AND THEIRS WERE NOT RAIDED. Plus, they get consistent paychecks! Job security! And can sit on their high horse and tell the little people to quit their *****ing and deal with it! My cool ball I picked out for myself was taken and given to the other kid who didn't get to play with it (you know, instead of just getting them THEIR OWN ****ING BALL), and I just need to accept it. Thanks government for never hiding who you are.

Fire them all. Every ****ing one of them. Never elect a politician ever again. Hire teachers for school boards, accountants to treasury, regular, upstanding members of local communities for house, and someone with balls and brains to lead them all. Definitely NOT a politician. Politicians as advisers ONLY. Never give those pricks an ounce of power. All they know how to do is talk out of their ass. They can shit all over those with power all they want, but they NEVER should be allowed to to shit on those they SERVE again.

****ing bullshit.

Ya, I am gonna deal with it. It's bullshit. I never had to worry about this shit before, EVER. The choice was always easy and cheap. The only time I ever got a medical bill I couldn't pay, my awesome insurance happily covered it with no fuss. At least I can keep my awesome insurance company. I am just paying out the ass to do so. And will probably get fined by the government for it too. Cause, you know, you fine poor people for spending too much money in their attempt to avert total financial ruin after backing them in a corner and FORCING them to choose one or the other. That makes total sense.

*screams*

Oh, and my fork is in the shop. No mountains to go scream at.

**** this ****ing shit.

(yes, I turn into a pirate when I am mad. You should hear me when I get bloodthirsty while gaming! It's similar to how I sound when playing dominatrix with Tones, but a pirate version. )

*screams*

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Wow, that sucks but I think everyone is gonna eventually feel the squeeze here if they don't already. And, it looks like it's only going to get worse.

mtbr member
    Horrible ****ing conversation with a friend who lectured me like he does CONSTANTLY about how I 'need to find another job', and will not hear, nor cares, to hear anything but his own mantra. He LOVES his job, isn't it that easy to find my dream job too?!

IF A BETTER ****ING JOB CAME ALONG I WOULD JUMP THIS SHIP WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT.

OBVIOUSLY, nothing else is coming along, nor is available. LOOKING for a job is stress I don't need (yet, I still poke at monthly, prick) as I pour over more entry level positions that pay an extra buck or two an hour, and require me to MOVE, and expense there is no way in hell I can afford. Nor have I found another job that even pays a LIVABLE wage for the area they are in. Sure, I can TAKE a job that pays a few grand more, but moving for it and no longer being able to afford rent would obviously be a leap BACKWARDS. What the **** good is just 'looking for another job', when there is NOTHING LIVABLE for my level? I might as well still be a fresh out of high school grad with all the cred I have built in the job market. None. I never should have wasted my ****ing time with college. I should have nailed a good thing when the economy was at it's height, and even if I lost it, I would have had experience under my belt instead of the most expensive piece of toilet paper I have ever owned. I graduated months after the bubble burst, and have never recovered. It didn't help I left all my contacts, and am stuck in a still-new town that I hate that is also reeling from the crash since it is a vacation town. If I stayed in my hometown, if I needed a job, all I had to do was ask. I have to BEG for entry level positions down here. Who do I have to blow and kill for a decent one?! Because, well, I have learned knife skills at this job at least, and the other stuff is part of the package...

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Part of the problem is the state you/we live in. Consider a state with a lower cost of living.

mtbr member
    Ya definitely want to move somewhere cheaper. i don't like the cities, don't need them, and really would prefer somewhere small and secluded... as long as it had high speed internet. Jobs are hardest to find in places like that. *sigh*

'Make my own job', ya, ya. Been told that so much my ears hurt. Far easier said than done. And, even when done (as I HAVE done, multiple times), being profitable is even harder. In my experience, a crapshoot. Even when I plan, check markets... crapshoot.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Ya definitely want to move somewhere cheaper. i don't like the cities, don't need them, and really would prefer somewhere small and secluded... as long as it had high speed internet. Jobs are hardest to find in places like that. *sigh*

'Make my own job', ya, ya. Been told that so much my ears hurt. Far easier said than done. And, even when done (as I HAVE done, multiple times), being profitable is even harder. In my experience, a crapshoot. Even when I plan, check markets... crapshoot.
    So then what's left? Seriously? You gonna collect yourself and do the best with what you got?

Here's an idea. Think of something(s) you can sell online. Something(s) you are knowledgeable about. Minimal overhead, higher profit. It can start as out something to supplement your income. Who knows, maybe it it could grow into something HUGE. Of course, if that were to happen, I would expect royalty payments on a monthly basis for my excellent suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast