Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Upset Dear the inventor of, and companies who use Torx and Security Screws

I would like to shove every single of these stupid special screwdrivers I have to order from China into your eyeballs in an attempt to screw your brain back in straight.

I need to OPEN your stupid POS because you somehow effed it up! But, that point doesn't matter. Because I bought it and I own it! It is mine to do as I please with, void warranties as I see fit, use the parts to create my own sentry robot, build a nuclear reactor, WHATEVER. You sold it to me, it is mine, I want to open it.

In my case, 9 out of 10 times, it is to fix something. Because your product is a broke POS, or doesn't work as intended, or further ridiculous propitiatory parts makes it too expensive to maintain, or it is so old I can't find your stupid propitiatory parts any more, or your stupid propitiatory parts are stupid and weak and the open market has far superior items. If, by chance it is so new it is actually covered by your 2 year warranty, it is MY choice to void it! Most of the time, your product is needed long past the warranty, and any replacement parts, new or not, are no longer covered anyways. The screws aren't magically going to open up to me. I still need a TOOLBOX FILLED WITH YOUR STUPID SECURITY BITS.

So, I am faced with two choices. I can bend over and pay $5+ for the privilege of opening each special snowflake product by buying a domestic bit, or I can order an entire set of the ******** parts I know I will eventually need again made with of pot-metal from China for the same price plus roughly a month of wait time.

I am pissed. Every time I try to do ANYTHING with electronics, even when I think I have all the bits I need, BAM hidden security bit/ torx!

So, here is the long, strange path I have taken. It is as close as I can be to going 'legit' and is a perfect example of WHY people use ROMS and one of them many places where game companies is failing.

I don't want to use ROMS. If I have reasonable access to a game, I will get physical possession of it. In the 90's, it was a lot more expensive to release games, so if something was not predicted to sell well in a certain region, it would see limited or no release. Systems had region chips in them, so they only played games released for one specific region. Hence why I *do* have ROMS for a few more obscure games that either never saw a North American release or are rare and very expensive. Most Sony games do NOT fall under this category, and can be obtained reasonably easily.

Now, the lasers in PS2s are junk. They have a high fail rate, burn out really easily. Sony stopped supporting them long ago. I have no interest in collecting Slim PS2s and throwing away old systems as lasers die. Even replacement lasers suck, since they have to use the same crappy technology that gave them a high failure rate. Most are repaired/ refurbished ones coming from China. Authentic ones cost as much as another PS2. Different kinds of discs burn out the lasers faster, especially when playing PSOne games, as I do. After fighting a dying laser for years, having to constantly open the system and adjust it to squeeze more life out of it, it died altogether. Replacing it has been a nightmare. Good lasers are a crapshoot. Adjusting them properly is a crapshoot. It take a long time to do the work, and even more when you need to swap it again cause the one you got was DOA. Even longer if you need to physically modify the laser to change the frequency to get it working right. I could go on and on about the troubles with opening them and fixing them.

So, I decided to burn through one last laser so I don't have to mess with this BS again. The old PS2 fats can take a network card, which can connect to old IDEE hard drives. These allow you to back up all of your games and play them directly from the hard drive, and therefore only need to use the laser when you are adding a new game to the backup. The newer Slim ones with much better lasers can do the same, but with USB 1.0 support as the only transfer option, the speeds are unacceptably bad for many games. So, the fats with the terrible lasers it is!

Now, IDEE is where the trouble begins. Ideally, I should have done this 4 years ago when IDEE drives were being dumped as they became obsolete. Now, they are expensive, and they are old. Hard drives also fail quite often. So, if it fails, I would be in the same spot, but 5 years later when IDEE are 5 times as much as they are now. There also is the drive limitation of 500GB max. I don't know exactly how much space I need, but with around 100 games, most of which are DVDs which can have a max of about 8GB, I have a feeling I would exceed 500GB.

So, converting to SATA seems to be the best option. More walls. I need a little converter adapter made for laptops, which means I need a laptop drive. There are ones for regular drives, but the space in the PS2 is limited. When you add the card, it requires you to physically modify the PS2 if you want to use a regular sized drive. I may consider going that route, depending on which SATA adapter cards work. Because, you see, these adapter cards are also all crap shoots. 90% are made in China POSes. There are expensive ones out there that are a pain to get a hold of, and come with mixed reviews on their effectiveness. I figure I will try out as many $5 ones as I can, keep returning them to Amazon until I get one that works.

OFC, Sony wanted you to buy THEIR hard drives to go with the PS2. The biggest one they offered was something like 40GB. And they are expensive for the amount of space, and a pain to source. They are just standard Maxtors anyways. So... uh, no. They made the spacing on the Network adapters *slightly* off, it seems. The SATA adapter I got does not fit. I can't move the connectors on it. So I opened up the Network adapter with a regular screwdrives so I can shift stuff around and make everything fit, and LO AND BEHOLD! Inside, holding the boards on, is a Torx. A small one. Who ****ing knows what size it is. It is one I don't have. Obviously. More parts to source, after sourcing for months already.

Security and Torx. In eyeballs. Twist. Etc.

official eMpTyBRain
    Maya, tell us how you really feel.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I don't like lettuce in my burritos, either.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

AZ
    banned
    MMMMmmmmm, burrito's.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I don't like lettuce in my burritos, either.
    Dude! If burrito is going to have sour cream inside, it MUST also have lettuce. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

official eMpTyBRain
    Poor Maya has been out in the damned desert for too long. I've seen this before. So sad.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    The problem is that burritos generally end up steaming in their own wrap, and then the lettuce wilts and gets soggy...and is flavorless to begin with. Not good eats.

And then we eat them."

official eMpTyBRain
    The problem is that burritos generally end up steaming in their own wrap, and then the lettuce wilts and gets soggy...and is flavorless to begin with. Not good eats.
    Burritos MUST be eaten on the spot. This is not a "take home" food. And if they are getting soggy while you are sitting there at the food place, then you are not eating them fast enough. Eat faster. Take Tums when you get home from the indigestion. So good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Burritos MUST be eaten on the spot. This is not a "take home" food. And if they are getting soggy while you are sitting there at the food place, then you are not eating them fast enough. Eat faster. Take Tums when you get home from the indigestion. So good!
    Yes.

Dear people who make burritos, then put them in hot holding...

I want to shove hot peppers into every orifice of your body, until you understand the correlation between 'hot' and 'fresh'.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    i agree...however, originally, they were made to be eaten later, as a true 'to go' food.
    I am a texture purist.
    If it sits, I dont want it.
    but even if they sit in the red heat lamp, while the rest of your table's order is being put together...soggy lettuce.
    better to avoid it altogether.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    At a restaurant?? Nooooo get the fajitas or the house specialty! Burritos are fast food, meant to be eaten instantly or with one hand as you drive away

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Or on the engine manifold during a long distance drive.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Shimano is sooo ****ing lucky the socket wrench kit I got for other parts also came with the right sized torx, and even a hex I was missing.

While the kit had all the hex and torx sizes I have needed so far for my bike, as well as a random assortment of safety bits, it did not contain anything that fits any electronics I have tried it on.

Bastards.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    well, the original burrito was kept warm under the saddle blanket of a horse or Burro...I'll take a 5.4 liter v8 anyday

And then we eat them."

Trail Prospector
    ^^^ Uggggh. Neither hot, nor fresh.... and afterwards you'll need that special over-sized torx driver to unplug the toilet.
    In the meantime, I hope you have a dog to blame for the noxious odors.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishartbicycles View Post
    BTW, a really good burrito can be purchased on a Friday, heated up on the dash, and eaten for dinner on Sunday.
    Or on the engine manifold during a long distance drive.

Of course! That is how we make breakfast burritos around here! Cook the egg on the dash, bacon on the engine, heat the tortilla on the leather seats, then wrap it up in foil and melt the cheese on the hood. It will keep at consistently hot holding temperature for three months during summer.

mtbr member
    I am an expert on fine ass.

mtbr member
    I also care deeply about the condition of my ass, so I spend good money on quality saddles.

My WTB Pure V that was recommended is ok, but not great. I ordered a couple Terry saddles to try out, and am trying to find a used or NOS Butterfly Gel with CroMoly rails for 20-30 bucks

My ass is not easily pleased or contained.

Fishing/ Biking
    I'm not going to say anything about this post.

Except that I hate all electronics and I like my burrito without the tortilla over lettuce, with sour cream...
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    As long as it does not require Torx wrench....
    Fine ass never requires Torx. Only shitty ass does.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    I like my burrito without the tortilla over lettuce, with sour cream...
    Is this some weirdo sexual fetish innuendo?

And then we eat them."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Give me Cilantro, thanks

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    You go ahead and keep telling yourself that.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    exactly. That's why I suggested foregoing the leafy greens altogether if the burrito might sit for more than a nanosecond.

And then we eat them."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

And then we eat them."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast