mtbr member

Cyclocross and no mountain bike?

I am putting this in off topic because it has no real value, just thinking out loud.

I really want a cyclocross bike but cant afford one unless I sell my Troll (only bike). I love riding single track but in reality its probably only 30% of my riding. I want to ride on the road more but those rides also include gravel trails. If I sell the Troll to get a cyclocross that would be my only bike, and I have a fear that I would miss the singletrack. I know I could still ride on the singletrack but I enjoy riding fast and more aggressive sometimes. So I am thinking of getting an Orge with drop bars for more of a monstercross feel. But I still have the urge for a true cyclocross (macho man disc or straggler).

Any thoughts out there?
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    A true cyclocross bike is very versatile. You can still ride all the mtb trails that you do now, but you'll just have to go a bit slower. Throw some road slicks on there and you're good to go for a hard sufferfest on the road. I ride gravel trails occasionally on my road bike and it works just fine.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Try to ride a 'cross bike on singletrack before you commit. It's probably less different for you, coming from a rigid bike, but it still takes a lot more finesse and has a lower speed limit.

If you can put drop bars on an Ogre, you can put them on a Troll. Aren't they basically the same bike?

Bear in mind that any touring bike with cantilever brakes can be taken off-road. Road bikes too, but it's nice to have room for more forgiving tires. If you open up your range of acceptable bikes to any road bike with lots of clearance from the last twenty years, you can probably do it for $300. So you might not have to give up your MTB.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    If you just like getting out in the woods, and aren't too concerned with speed over irregular terrain, and don't mind carrying your bike over really rocky terrain, then go for it.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    If you can put drop bars on an Ogre, you can put them on a Troll. Aren't they basically the same bike?
    They are, I just figured the bigger wheels of the Orge would feel more "right" for a monstercross build and I want to try a 29er again.

Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    If you just like getting out in the woods, and aren't too concerned with speed over irregular terrain, and don't mind carrying your bike over really rocky terrain, then go for it.
    I do like the speed of a mountain bike but I dont ride very fast anymore.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Up to you. But to my mind, one of the first steps in being cost-conscious is leveraging gear I already have. Something else to consider is that you can fit surprisingly wide 700C tires, by road standards, in a 26" bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Up to you. But to my mind, one of the first steps in being cost-conscious is leveraging gear I already have. Something else to consider is that you can fit surprisingly wide 700C tires, by road standards, in a 26" bike.
    I am exactly the same way and the troll can actually fit 29er wheels with skinny enough tires. I need a taller steerer tube so theres a new fork, stem, bars, levers and wheels. Unless I score all of those on ebay thats not a cheap experiment. I tried it on my last 1x1 and it would have worked if I would have got a new fork and left the steerer long.

I am thinking about saving/selling something for a nature boy or another cheaper cx.