Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...

Just some toys I remember from my childhood. Anybody have any from their childhood, care to post them up. And include any memories from your childhood.

1] Remember the red plastic boomerang that was 1' X 1' made by Whammo. How many kids were killed playing with those. We would throw it out 100' and it would come right back to you. Freaking chop your head off if it hit you right.

2] Oh and Botchy Balls / balls made out of heavy hard rubber the size of a cantelope. Throw it to the other side of the lawn kids.

3] And the Klacker balls I mentioned earlier. Two balls hard resin clear balls slightly bigger than a golf ball. Connected by a string. A metal circle in the middle to slip on your middle finger. Alright kidsmove your arm and wrist up and down and the glass like balls will smash together at the top and at the bottom in a rapid motion. They were outlawed because they shattered with shrapnel flying everywhere.

4] Oh and how about the giant rubber ball that had a rubber handle at the top. Kids would sit on it and bounce around. They were outlawed because they would blow up. Years later they came out with a smaller safer version.

5] Oh and how about the ZIP CARS. A toy car made out of steel about a foot long. It had a metal wheel in the center with a hard rubber tire. And a gear around the wheel. You would take a hard plastic strip that had matching gear teeth along it. Slip it all the way in and pull it out as fast as you could.Then set the car on the ground. They were clocked at something like 70 m.p.h. Ha,ha a foot long metal car shaped like a dragster going 70 m.p.h. Sounds like a great toy kids go play, supper at 5:00 They were also outlawed. And years later a scaled down plastic version the size of a Hot Wheel hit the market.

6] Oh and what about the water rockets. These things were real safe also. A plastic rocket abour 9" long that is jet propelled via watwr. You fill the rocket up with water. Then hook up a pump to the bottom pump up as much air as you can muster strength wise. Then hold your arm out as far away from your face as you could. Press a button at the bottom which released the huge amount of pressure. And zip the rocket launched 100' up shooting water down as it went. How many kids got hit in the face with those. They stopped making them then years later came out with a version that wouldn't hold the pressure. It leaked on purpose so it wasn't so deadly.

7] Oh and before my time in the fifties and early sixties they had a metal rifle that you put ping pong balls in. Then pump it up with air like a pellet gun. That sucker shot a ping pong ball hard enough togive you a welt 30' away. I know because my older cousin had one.

8] Oh and what about the Hot Wheels gas station. You send a Hot wheel down an incline and right when it was losing momentum it would enter the gas station garage door. Inside was 2 spongy wheels that were electricity spinning. The Hot wheel would hit the wheels that gripped the car from the sides. It would shoot the Hot Wheel out the other side at Mach I speed. Ha,ha sounds safe to me. A metal Hot Wheel going Mach One.

9] Lawn Dart's probably the most dangerous of all. A steel dart with a pointed end about a foot long with plastic feathers like a real dart. It weighed about a 1/4 LB. You would hold them by the end and swing your arm in an under throw movement and let go at the end of the swing, like a softball pitch. Trying to reach a certain point on the other side of the lawn. Are you kidding me how many kid's are coordinated enough to let go at the optimum point. They could fly in any direction, they were actually an adult game but back then the adults weren't carful enough to lock them up. Even most adults weren't good at throwing them, especially half hammered. Store them in the garage and forget about them. The kid's would find them and have a field day. They were outlawed for good. And if I remember right kid's died because of them.
    Here is a link of one parents nightmare. His daughter died from a Lawn Dart.
    How One Dad Got Lawn Darts Banned | Mental Floss

Tons more insane toys from back then.. If you think of any add them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    DJ, I remember some older dude with one he made that he said was a full-sized Aussie-Abo copy. The thing literally sailed in at least a 360 degree circle before it came back and landed about 30' in front of him. That's what really inspired me. We ended up making a dozen or more. Sanded, varnished, stained, painted.........we had all kinds of those things.
    Does this look familiar, a vintage 1975' Whamo Boomerange.
    The water rocket toy I was talking about.
    The SST Zip car that went insanly fast and made out of metal.
    1950's Ping Pong Ball Air Rifle ...Awesome.
    1970's Super Balls / 1970's Super Balls commercial. They were way harder rubber in the 70's [like rock hard] and bounced wayyy higher.
    Lawn Darts fun for the whole family. https://www.google.com/search?q=1970...&bih=726&dpr=1

Klacker Balls video.

1970's Super Balls commercial. They were way harder rubber in the 70's [like rock hard] and bounced ....well you'll see.

Whamo brought us all the KRAZy toys. Wham-O History | Wham-O's heritage and over 70 products including Frisbee Disc, Slip N Slide, Hula Hoop, Hacky Sack, Sprig Toys, Morey, Boogie boards, BZ, and more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...-lawn-darts.jpg  

Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...-%24-kgrhqnhjcufht-jsvmlbr3h-4mzvg%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...-rifle-2.jpg  

Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...-air-rifle.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-07-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Freedom of speech
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I had most of those toys mentioned in 1-9 or some version there of.. Instead of a zip car I had a zip motorcycle. Man that thing was fast.. The water rocket was great fun.. One of my favorites was rockem robots, would really make my older brother mad when he lost.

Name:  rock em.jpeg
Views: 770
Size:  10.8 KB
    We had some real unsafe toys, we had a make your own toy soldier set. You melted lead in a small electric pot and poured it into molds!
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    I am also of the age when action figures became big so I had many of those. I had Lone ranger and Tonto and their horses, wish I still did they're worth some bucks now. I also had the hulk and several others. GI Joe had some neat accessories.

Name:  skyhawk.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  28.3 KB I had the Hang glider and the submarine. Name:  gijoe-sea-wolf.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  47.6 KB
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

I'm your density
    Some things that come to mind: Lots of GI Joe stuff (including one of these), Hot Wheels, toy guns, real (dangerous) chemistry sets, slot cars, crystal radio kit.

When I was in college I went over to mow my parents' (big) back yard and unearthed a toy pistol I apparently left out and forgot 10 years before. Was about the size of a .38 special and would definitely pass for a real one in low light.

There was some improvisation, though. I remember creating my own "rock-climbing gear" out of old rope & hardware from the garage, and used it to climb the 40' pine tree and big avocado trees on our property.

And rotten avocado fights >>>>>>>>>>>> water balloon fights.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Front Range, Colorado
    Did you see this link I posted in my initial post. One parents nightmare how his daughter died from a Lawn Dart.
    How One Dad Got Lawn Darts Banned | Mental Floss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...-lawn-darts.jpg  

----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

The White Jeff W

Re: Remembering Toys From Your Childhood..

Tonka trucks, matchbox cars and little green army men were all staples of my early days.

Mostly, though, we rode bikes, fished & played in the woods.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    -big wheel
    -walkie talkie set from Two Guys dept store in jersey
    -not really a toy but a game...flippin' baseball cards (could be just an east coast thing) I still have cards from the bronx zoo era! longlive #15!
    -stick ball/wiffle ball & bat
    -playing curb ball with those original pink super bounce balls

*all of which were no good without bazooka gum and italian ices or Carvel ice cream.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Mostly, though, we rode bikes, fished & played in the woods.
    Same here, my early mountain biking consisted of me taking my 1970' full size Schwinn cruiser and customizing it for riding the trails. It already had large wheels and big tires. I put ape hanger bars and a banana seat. Then I removed the front fender and took a hacksaw and chopped the rear fender in line with the back of the seat and sissy bar. It was identical to a Schwinn Stinray but with a larger frame and wheels. It was awesome in the dirt. All the other kids had the smaller framed smaller wheeled stingray bikes. But mine kicked butt on those ones due to it's size. Ha,ha I was 9 years old and riding the trails. We also set up jumps on the sidewalk with plywood and cinder
    blocks. I left quite a bit of skin on those sidewalks.

This was my dream bike of the day A 69' Schwinn
    Orange Krate. A five speed and designed after the
    muscle cars of the day. Notice the shifter knob and
    the rear tire was a slick. Larger rear wheel smaller front wheel like a muscle car. The whole design
    screamed muscle car. It was an expensive bike back then. My neighbor had one and he never rode it. In fact he was a rich kid who never left the
    house. Anyway these bikes are worth some coin
    today restored.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

duh
    Not sure if key cars was the proper name but I had a couple. Used them to shoot my big sister with

Name:  keycars.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  7.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

The White Jeff W

Re: Childhood Memories / Toy's And Or Stories...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

This was my dream bike of the day A 69' Schwinn
    Orange Krate. A five speed and designed after the
    muscle cars of the day. Notice the shifter knob and
    the rear tire was a slick. Larger rear wheel smaller front wheel like a muscle car. The whole design
    screamed muscle car. It was an expensive bike back then. My neighbor had one and he never rode it. In fact he was a rich kid who never left the
    house. Anyway these bikes are worth some coin
    today restored.
    My neighbor had one of those. He was the rich kid in town. He's mayor now.
    No moss...

removing nudity
    DJ I still have my hotwheels set from when I was a kid, guess what, I have not one but two of those garages. They don't run so well any more but the boy does still play with the rest of the kit.

My personal fav was GI Joe.

The other one I remember before cracker night got banned was firing Roman candles at each other, from a safe distance of course.

removing nudity
    Spud guns where another great one but I was never allowed one The type you plunged the end into a potato and it shot the little pellet out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    I still have my hotwheels set from when I was a kid...
    Me too...and a pristine set of Jarts lawn darts hidden somewhere at my parents'.

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Spud guns where another great one but I was never allowed one The type you plunged the end into a potato and it shot the little pellet out.
    Not sure what a spud gun was, but you do know you can build yer own pertater gun with 2-inch PVC pipe, a barbecue pit spark ignitor, and just about any combustible aerosol, right? I had one sitting in my closet years ago when my landlord came over to put in a new water heater. Got a call later that evening telling me the water heater was done and what a nice huge bong that was there in the closet.

official eMpTyBRain
    Nothing was a s b!tchen as my Big Wheel!!! I used to catch massive air on that thing flying off the ramps we built to launch us. I wore out many a wheel set drifting on it, too!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    S3119,
    We had a Two Guys sporting store as well close by. In Rochester N.Y. man I used to love to go in there as a kid. They had a huge hill entering the parking lot. We used to ride our skate boards down at mach I avoiding cars coming up, KRAZY!

Jeff W.-13,
    So your rich neighbor kid had a Schwinn Orange Krate as well huh. That's funny just like my neighbor although I don't think mine became a Mayor.

Emu26,
    Post up a photo of your Hot Wheel garage. I looked all over the net for a photo but couldn't find one. All I could find was the big service station that came out later on. Pretty cool toy, I always set mine up prior to two loops. The Hot Wheel would lose momentum and enter the garage then it would come shooting out at mach I and shoot around the two loops.

Emu & Hang 21,
    The Spuds gun my 13 year old nephew has one that is made from PVC. Quite a dangerous weapon / I mean toy.

Hawg,
    Oh yeah the all mighty Big Wheel. The original ones were awesome. Like you said jumping and power sliding everywhere and wearing out rear plastic wheels. The bad part is going down hill your feet couldn't keep up with the pedals. It was like a the pedals became a battering turning torture chamber until you reached the bottom of the hill. )
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

High Desert MTBer
    How about those skateboards that if you went too fast the wheels would blow up! I had one of them and it happened to me... I still have a scar on my knee.

I have a memory of being at Kindergarten and exposing myself to a girl there... I got into trouble...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The neighborhood kids and I would run around the neighborhood playing cops and robbers with those little ring cap guns that looked like a .38 revolver. No orange tip at the end of the barrel. We would certainly be shot dead if we were kids with these today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    How about those skateboards that if you went too fast the wheels would blow up! I had one of them and it happened to me... I still have a scar on my knee.

I have a memory of being at Kindergarten and exposing myself to a girl there... I got into trouble...
    Yep the original skateboards had baked clay wheels.. I had one and the length was a bigger problem they were so short they were near impossible to stay on..

mtbr member
    Sword fights with my brother using Hotwheels tracks.

getting whipped by my mother with said Hotwheels track.

Front Range, Colorado
    The skateboard I had was from the early seventies. It had polyurethane wheels with super fast bearings If you held the skateboard and spun a wheel it would spin for a couple minutes. The boards now if you spin a wheel it stops afer a couple rotation's. The wheels were insanely fast and they purposely made them slower later on. Also my board was made out of plastic and wide at the front but super narrow at the back with a kick up only on the back.

Cap Guns;
    After the paper strip cap guns they made these >>>

I remember we had silver guns that looked like a. 38 The cylinder was like an actual. 38 revolver and flipped open. The caps were encased in a red plastic ring that fit in the cylinder like real bullets. So loading it was a quick flip the cylinder open and snap a 6 round cap load in. And man
    those caps were loud, almost like a real gun sound.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    getting whipped by my mother with said Hotwheels track.
    LOL! A buddy of mine used to get the Hotwheels track treatment from his old man. He said it was painful. He and his brothers were terrified of that one.

Mine was that damned paddle with the rubber band and ball attached. The rubber band would eventually break and then the paddle got stored under the sink so my mom could light my ass up with it. Boy did those things sting.

There's something sick and twisted about parents that take a toy that's meant to be used as a source of fun for kids and turn it into an implement of pain and fear.

As far as cool toys I remember -

How about air hockey? If you left your fingers go over the edge of the paddle while playing those plastic pucks would sting your finger tips into submission.

I loved me some Girder and Panel building sets.

I was a LEGO nut and had lots of sets. Probably the best x-mas gift I ever got was set 956.

Gnarly
    Between my brother and I we had neat toys. I had an original Barbie... the one that would have been worth $$$ had I not combed her hair so much that she became bald. The Barbies after that had bendable legs and they could sit but mine couldn't. That was disappointing. I had more fun playing with my brother's little green army men and his Matchbox cars

I had an Etch a Sketch but it was boring because all I could draw was boxy lines. I much preferred doing my own sketches and painting. I remember Silly Putty, an Easy Bake Oven, Slinky, collecting TigerBeat, and Mad magazines. I was into comics for a while too.

I liked making forts with blankets and clothes pins, in the winter we made huge snow forts, tobogganing (the best was the aluminum flying saucer... wow that thing was fast!), dressing in my mom's old clothes and in summer I loved riding my bike, going swimming and hanging out

Nice memories
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Front Range, Colorado
    Yep Air Hockey, we had a high dollar air hockey game. It was half the size of of a pool table or a full size air hockey game. And yes if your finger slipped out of the groove you could easily slam it against the side. Ouch!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

removing nudity
    I'll get a pic tonight DJ

mtbr member
    Legos...

I've still got most of mine, Well actually my boy has them.... all mixed in with legos he's gotten.
    You can tell which ones are mine though. they've gotten pretty rounded off.

I've got most of his "complete" sets stashed under his bed...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast