mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Chemical weapons used in Syria

So it looks like it is official, chemical weapons have been used in Syria. It has been long suspected that they were being used, but with the US fiasco that was Iraq and the public opinion of WMDs there, I can understand why it has taken the administration this long to announce it.

The below is my opinion of what the next steps should be, and the reasoning:

- The United Nations (read: not just the United States) needs to issue a complete cease fire of all hostilities in Syria

- After this is done, there needs to be a coalition of 10,000 "troops" from ALL UN nations. This should include ground, air, and water forces.

- The cease fire order should include that if any hostilities are seen, then there will be a shoot on sight order. This goes for both rebel forces and government forces.

- Once the ground is "clear", a UN investigation team should go in, investigate the who, what, where, how, when.. once the facts are in place, the "who" should be brought before a UN tribunal with whatever charges are deemed appropriate. The who should include everyone that was involved, from the person who ordered the use, to the person that pressed the button, to the person that loaded the chemical weapons.

- Once the offenders are secured, the team should then secure all chemical weapons for disposal

- After all chemical weapons have been disposed, the UN forces should then leave the country

- Then, and only then, the UN should cease the cease fire order, and then give medical and food support to the country.

It is my opinion, that the above steps should be the way that this is handled. It cannot be just one or two countries that go in on this, it needs to be every country. What is needed is a clear message to anyone and everyone, that if any chemical or biological weapons are used in any conflict, then there will be a mass scale intervention. We, has the human species, cannot allow for this type of warfare to happen.

It should also send a message, that we will not intervene in your civil war and it is not about politics, and allow the war to take its natural progression. It is not about what side is favored, it is about the weapons themselves.

If nothing is done, this will send a message to all other countries with chemical and biological capabilities that the UN will not take action when the rules of warfare are broken. If there is inaction, then that changes the game, and not for the better.

Keep in mind that there is no mention about nuclear weapons, as that is an entirely different monster. Like for like on that one.. hence why nuke capabilities are considered MAD (mutually assured destruction) weapons.

mtbr member
    We've been looking for a reason to get into Syria since we've occupied the middle east. It is key, and it's only a matter of time before the excuse is good enough
    My .02

Oh, IBTB
    Last edited by theMeat; 04-26-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    We've been looking for a reason to get into Syria since we've occupied the middle east. It is key, and it's only a matter of time before the excuse is good enough
    My .02

Oh, IBTB
    And now that Russia is silenced by the fact a couple of Chechens just blew up some American's, well, there ya go.

re member
    What do you mean by that, "now that Russia is silenced"?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post

- After this is done, there needs to be a coalition of 10,000 "troops" from ALL UN nations. This should include ground, air, and water forces.
    Nice! Are you going to volunteer to be one of the 10,000 or are you committing somebody kid to proxy for you?

Don't get me wrong, I believe in and support a strong military but grew up during Nam and maybe have a little different perspective on 'banana wars'.

No Stranger to danger....
    Theres only one reason theres death and drama in Syria, thats because theres one type of people there that follow one religion, that where ever they are there is conflict and death.
    These same people are the reason there is fighting and conflict where ever they are on the face of the planet.
    And that religion is Islam.
    And before the bleeding hearts come in, come to my country and see the dramas here, go to any country where hard line muslims are and have a look at the drama.
    Im not afraid to point out the facts.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    Nice! Are you going to volunteer to be one of the 10,000 or are you committing somebody kid to proxy for you?

Don't get me wrong, I believe in and support a strong military but grew up during Nam and maybe have a little different perspective on 'banana wars'.
    I've served my time, thank you, and for my time, I have osteoarthritis in my spine and knees. Should I be recalled for duty, then yes, I have taken the oath and shall fullfill said oath should the need arise.

Keep in mind though, that the multi-national force would not be there to occupy the country (edit: ie: establish a proxy government, aid either the government or rebels, or any other political reasons), but instead, to safe-guard the investigators and for confiscating the chemical weapons.

Tone: This thread isn't about Islam or any other religion, it is about the use of chemical weapons which is banned under a very many of different treaties. The manufacture and storage of these types of weapons is allowed only for the use of being a deterrent. The use of them is, however, banned.. unless you have a VERY good reason for it.. and if that need should arise, then you can bet that humanity is on its last legs and would not survive much longer anyways.

re member
    Bashar al-Assad's baathist party terrorist regime has the support of Iran and Russia. The FSA freedom fighter terrorists have the support of the US and the UK.

Things will probably get way uglier over there before it ever gets any better.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    And now that Russia is silenced by the fact a couple of Chechens just blew up some American's, well, there ya go.
    Russia is far from silent now. Puttin is always blabbering.

re member
    I don't get the "Russia is silent" comment, either.

Russia actually warned the FBI in 2011 that the older of the two Boston Bombers may be tied to terrorism, but somehow the FBI let it slip through a crack.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member

Re: Chemical weapons used in Syria

Here we go again. Saddam had the weapons too and we all know how that turned out to be the case.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How is it "official" that chemical weapons are now being used in Syria? There are claims of usage from both parties.

How can you be sure that they're (the FSA) just making it up just to draw the coalition forces (US & UK) into Syria?

Get real, both sides of that conflict hate the US and the UK. Regardless of who comes up the winner in that country, they're still going to hate the West.

If the international community wants to step in then a coalition of arab nations should go in and stop the fighting.

Trail Prospector
    IBTB.

We (the USA) nor any other country can dictate change on others.
    The middle east has been fighting for 700 years, Muslims do not believe in forgiveness,
    and I feel if left alone will eradicate themselves. (world terror problem solved)

As a firm believer in natural selection, we should let these religious folks choose their own destiny.
    IMO - should they chose to attack others, then all should be forced to return to their homeland to sort it out.
    If you want to live elsewhere, invest & absorb their culture, try to fit in, and stop expecting preferential treatment.

The world has recognized the middle east, and learned of it's evil, so - without our help, please carry on..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

usually cranky
    not that i support them but why draw the line at chemical weapons? is napalm or cluster bombs really more humane than gas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Arieal(sp?) photographs of the ground, medical diagnosis, etc.. from a quote that I pulled from a news source (yea.. i know):

The United States has evidence that the chemical weapon sarin has been used in Syria on a small scale, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Thursday.
    As I said previously, it wouldn't be the United States going in, or Isreal going in, or any "one" country.. it NEEDS to be every country with presence in the UN. This cannot, nor should it be, about the Assad regime or the FSA.

As I said in the OP, whoever had involvement in the use of said weapons should be brought in front of a tribunal for war crimes, be it people from the Assad regime or the FSA.. it matters not.

If the investigation shows that it was an accidental spill from transportation, then whoever was transporting said weapons should get a slap on the wrist / fired / whatever they do by law in that country.

As I've said a few times in this thread, the UN actions should not be politically motivated with bias for one side or the other.

not that i support them but why draw the line at chemical weapons? is napalm or cluster bombs really more humane than gas?
    Napalm and cluster bombs can be controlled with some extent. That is to say, as with all things, it is illegal to target civilian populations.

The problem with chemical (such as sarin, VX) or biological (such as smallpox) weapons is that they cannot be controlled due to natural circumstances, like the wind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When you come across two pitbulls fighting to the death, it would be most imprudent to step in to stop the fight, determine who was at fault and punish the one who started it. You just wait til there's just one pitbull left standing and he'll be dead tired to even consider attacking you.

mtbr member

Re: Chemical weapons used in Syria

UN is a criminal organization.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've served my time, thank you, and for my time, I have osteoarthritis in my spine and knees.
    #1 - Thank You for your service!

#2 - I have two different friends that have had both knees replaced and never served in the military. Your problems might be related to your functions and might not. IE: Might have happen if you had a civie job too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    #1 - Thank You for your service!

#2 - I have two different friends that have had both knees replaced and never served in the military. Your problems might be related to your functions and might not. IE: Might have happen if you had a civie job too.
    It wasn't. I've consulted with military physicians and chiropractors. My.. "injuries", I guess I should call it, were caused by a training regime that I undertook for a certain project.

Naturally speaking, I'm not old enough for this degeneration to occur naturally (33 this yea, was diagnosed when I was 24).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As I said previously, it wouldn't be the United States going in, or Israel going in, or any "one" country.. it NEEDS to be every country with presence in the UN.
    History has shown that the US carries the HUGE burden in these multinational invasions. 90% US - 10% others. This is in Europe's backyard, they should the heavy lifters, not us. Or as suggested above, why not an Arab Nation coalition?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    As I said previously, it wouldn't be the United States going in, or Isreal going in, or any "one" country.. it NEEDS to be every country with presence in the UN. This cannot, nor should it be, about the Assad regime or the FSA.
    How about China? Hey Mr. Superpower of the moment, why don't you do your fair share of keeping peace in that part of the world for a change? Sell them weapons that malfunction after six months of use.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    What do you mean by that, "now that Russia is silenced"?
    Pretty simple, Putin backs off of his resistance to the US going into Syria, the US turns a blind eye to Putin taking care of his problem in Chechnya.

The US now has an excuse, what with the bombing thing last week and all.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I don't get the "Russia is silent" comment, either.

Russia actually warned the FBI in 2011 that the older of the two Boston Bombers may be tied to terrorism, but somehow the FBI let it slip through a crack.
    Here's an interesting read:

Russia is also establishing the planned-parallel between the US War on Terror and the Russian War on Terror. Basically, he is saying: ‘Okay guys, now it is our turn to deal with ‘OUR’ terrorists who now suddenly share ties with your terrorists.’

Putin Urges West to Close Ranks against Terrorism

Answering a question about his attitude toward the Boston bombers, who were of Russian origin, Putin said extremism had no nationality.

The root causes of terrorism were not in nationality of faith, but extremist sentiment, Putin said, adding joint efforts should be made to fight it.

Putin, who was holding his first question-and-answer session with the public since returning to the Kremlin last May, said Russia was also a target of international terrorism. “This tragedy must unite us in countering the common threats,” he said.

…and Washington is already laying ground for US ‘temporarily’ backing Russians in cracking down on Caucasus’ terrorists:

Rohrabacher to pursue working with Russia

U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Costa Mesa) will chair a meeting Friday in Washington, D.C., to pursue the proposal he announced in Laguna last week about joining with Russia to combat radical Islam.

Rohrabacher chairs the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia and Emerging Threats.”We need to work with Russia to fight radical Islam,” Rohrabacher said at the April 19 meeting of the Laguna Beach Rotary Club. “They are doing things I can’t imagine an American doing. They slaughter innocent people without going into combat — they even slaughter their own people.”

“As we pull out of Afghanistan, it behooves us to work with Russia, the central Asian Republics, and those anti-Taliban elements inside Afghanistan, to ensure that the realm of radical Islamic terrorism will not dramatically expand its power base and thus pose an even greater threat to the good people of the world,” he said in a press release issued Sunday.

In the next few days we’ll be witnessing major developments on the Syrian front. Our direct military attack- the invasion- is about to begin. With Russian silence, the sudden removal of Russia as an obstacle in our invasion of Syria, think Boson Terror, and think Chechen-Caucasus-Russian angles scripted into the event.

Also, in the next few weeks we’ll be witnessing, reading and hearing about a new heated war within the borders of Russian territory-the Caucasus. The Russian raids will be portrayed here at home as ‘Russian counterterrorism efforts again Radical Islamic Terror.’ The Russian domestic raids will be characterized as another battle front against Al-Qaeda.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    It's not like they used white phosphorous or anything.