View Poll Results: Cell Phone - Phone or a "Device"?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use my cell phone mostly as a phone...

10 31.25%
  • I use my cell phone as an all-in-one device...

13 40.63%
  • I don't own a cell phone - land line FTW

2 6.25%
  • Cupcakes

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cell Phone - Phone or a "Device"?

I find myself using my phone more as a device than a phone. In fact, I rarely use it as a phone, and more of a device/mini computer (checking e-mails, web, games, camera, social networking, etc). I RARELY talk on my cell phone, and it's always calling clients telling them I'm stuck in traffic, or calling my parents on my way to a client's house.

I have a land line (home office) and prefer to talk on that. I never give my clients my cell.

So... do you use your cell phone more as a phone, or more as a device?

I'm pumped for my iPhone5, homies.

Suckin wind like a boss
    galaxy s3 here, and its a do-it-all for me. kinda pissed that verizon is b!tchy about google wallet because i want to try it. im a real gamer at heart, old school- pc only, no consoles and definitely not on the phone. (screen is just too damn small.)

sorry to hear you are droppin coin on an iphone. android is far superior imo.

(btw homie you need to vote in your own poll :P )
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    android is far superior imo.
    My androids had a battery life of about 8 hours with minimal usage, my iphone 4s lasts 48 hours with similar usage.

I can use my iphone all day and it'll still make it to midnight, pandora (not via wifi) for 6+ hours, hours of phone calls, etc... With the ultra short battery life of the androids I can't use the phone so I don't care how good it supposedly is.

FWIW I had a samsung fascinate and an Incredible.

humber river advocate
    i get free phones from work with data plans. used the galaxy and i-phone (don't have a preference). i use it to check my e-mails when i don't have time to open my lap top. i also store scanned pdf drawings of equipment/wiring diagrams, check bill of ladings, pro forma's etc. send all of that back and forth... use the camera for sr&ed files... pretty much everything but games and music. it does save me time and is great for pulling up items in off site meetings. the only thing i don't do is access the main storage files with it.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 09-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    My androids had a battery life of about 8 hours with minimal usage, my iphone 4s lasts 48 hours with similar usage.

I can use my iphone all day and it'll still make it to midnight, pandora (not via wifi) for 6+ hours, hours of phone calls, etc... With the ultra short battery life of the androids I can't use the phone so I don't care how good it supposedly is.

FWIW I had a samsung fascinate and an Incredible.
    yeah the battery life is real short. one of the things i really didn't like. the speaker function was not that great also.
    Support TORBA

Suckin wind like a boss
    my last phone was a droid charge (sammy), and battery life was abysmal. i was lucky to make it through a workday without having to plug it in, and that was basically idling. if i wanted to pandora or sirius, it meant recharging after a couple hours.

my gs3 is amazing- i get a full 2 days and change if all i do is check email and simple stuff; if i listen to music or watch videos, ill get a solid day of use and be down around 30-40% when i go to bed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    my gs3 is amazing- i get a full 2 days and change if all i do is check email and simple stuff; if i listen to music or watch videos, ill get a solid day of use and be down around 30-40% when i go to bed.
    Thats good to hear, after all having a phone that you can actually use is kind of the point of having it in the first place

barely a mtbr
    It's getting really difficult to find a decent "phone" now. We use our three (me, wife, son) strictly as phones, but the selection now without data plans is pretty sad. I know they do it on purpose because that's where the money is (data, iphone, droids), but if they'd bring back the Razr2 I'd rock another one in a heartbeat. Only reason I updated is because mine broke.

Instead I'm stuck with this crappy Pantech Hotshot that can't figure out when to connect or not to my Pioneer bluetooth in my truck.

We'd love iphones, but an extra $90 a month for data would pretty much double our current bill.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Thats good to hear, after all having a phone that you can actually use is kind of the point of having it in the first place
    true, but improper treatment of the hi-tech lipo batteries is the first reason many people have battery life issues. if you get in the habit(and i am equally guilty, and its part and parcel as to why my last phone had a useless battery) of plugging it in as soon as you get home, regardless of how much juice was left- that creates a "memory" in the battery. if its constantly getting plugged in at 40-50% battery life, it will over time "learn" that that is the bottom end of its charge, so you will essentially lose half your batteries capacity by doing that.

i had to break myself of the habit of plugging it in at every opportunity- in the truck, at home, at work. i just let it go until its under 15%, then i worry about plugging it in. it has worked so far in keeping my battery strong and lasting well over a day on charge. (i do, however, keep it plugged in when on a trip and using the gps- that will annihilate a battery in short order.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    sorry to hear you are droppin coin on an iphone. android is far superior imo.
    I don't hate, carnal. Oralé.

I've heard great things about the android, but my entire house is Mac with the exception of my company computer, which has proprietary software installed. My company is moving completely web-based, so I will be using Mac exclusively.

With everything iStuff, it just makes it easier. I was going cross platforms and I was tired of having to download drivers and getting viruses and crap on my PC. It was more of a streamline thing - especially since I mess with photos and graphics so much. Photostream and iCould, Calendar, etc. is a great to have for guys like me where my whole life is nothing but work.

pin it
    Work provides me with an iphone. I manage 2 units and 2 large clinical teams 24/7. I have to be available to lead, problem solve and make decisions for staff, patients and families. I multitask QI projects, have a full daily schedule, Because I'm in meetings or travelling between sites I need to be in communication using email and phone.

Saves me alot of time, I hardly ever use paper anymore... In fact when I started in leadership positions I use to print and keep a ton of paper files (budget reports, presentations, business cases, research, personnel files) Now I use 2 file drawers, everything is electronic and I can access everything remotely (love it!)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
    It's getting really difficult to find a decent "phone" now.
    You can find good used ones or even NOS on ebay.

true, but improper treatment of the hi-tech lipo batteries is the first reason many people have battery life issues. if you get in the habit(and i am equally guilty, and its part and parcel as to why my last phone had a useless battery) of plugging it in as soon as you get home, regardless of how much juice was left- that creates a "memory" in the battery. if its constantly getting plugged in at 40-50% battery life, it will over time "learn" that that is the bottom end of its charge, so you will essentially lose half your batteries capacity by doing that.
    I've done a lot of reading on lipos and have a brother in law that is designs cell phone hardware/circuits for a living, according to him the less you discharge a lipo the better, the only reason to deeply discharge them is so your phone's battery meter can recalibrate itself.

Older battery chemistries did develop memories, but Lipos don't, that is their big selling point, and being light and having lots of capacity of course

U $ 4 O?
    Old school flip phone ftw..

Any time away from comp screen is good

Not a fan of small touch screen or the data plan

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Old school flip phone ftw..

Any time away from comp screen is good

Not a fan of touch screen
    My personal phone is a flip. Its so basic and costs me so little! The battery life is 5x longer than the iphone
    I never use my work iphone for personal use.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

U $ 4 O?
    Do have an iPod and software is slooow, and it can't play some video formats which is annoying

mtbr member

i had to break myself of the habit of plugging it in at every opportunity- in the truck, at home, at work. i just let it go until its under 15%, then i worry about plugging it in. it has worked so far in keeping my battery strong and lasting well over a day on charge. (i do, however, keep it plugged in when on a trip and using the gps- that will annihilate a battery in short order.)
    That is absolutely not true. Modern cell phone batteries don't have a memory like the older ones. In fact, they like to be full. Letting a modern cell phone completely die is one of the worst things you can do to the battery.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips...ies-101-a.html there is some good info here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Suckin wind like a boss
    looks like i got told.

/quietly backs away...

mtbr member
    I'm here because I understood there would be cupcakes?

iPhone, the ultimate time suck machine.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post

that's what pulled me in also...
    Support TORBA

official eMpTyBRain
    I really don't care for talking on the phone, I'm a "texter". Therefore, my cell phone must have a nice, user friendly keyboard. I've got a low end Samsung touch screen something or another. No data plan, don't want it, don't need it.

Falls-a-Lot
    Incredible.
    HTC Incredible is anything but. Worst. phone. ever. Mine was pretty much bricked after Gingerbread rolled-out--8 months after getting the phone. Damned thing would crash a minimum of 4x/day. Last straw was when it crashed in the middle of the night while plugged into the charger. Good thing I woke before my alarm.

Replaced that paperweight with an iPhone 4s and haven't had it crash even once in almost 10 months. Sips the battery, too. I charge every night (Li ion battery, not NiCads...those were the ones that did better when drained on a regular basis--Li ions are the opposite) or once it gets below 50%, but it rarely does from day to day.

I hate talking on the phone...I don't even like talking to my BFF on the phone. I probably use the FB app to communicate more than anything...and I use my phone a lot to take photos (that's the only place where the Incredible trumps the iPhone--that camera took amazing photos with great exposure, focus, color, contrast. By comparison the 4s makes pretty muddy, poorly exposed shots and I liked the ability to control ISO with the Incredible--I have a BA in Photography, so I probably geek-out about this more than most folks).
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    I'm on my office phone almost all day long, which is more than enough for me. So, my personal phone (Droid Razr) is mostly used for light web browsing, email, etc if my laptop isn't around. Talking on it actually rather sucks with its thin profile. I have a work Blackberry which I also try to avoid as much as possible.

Dissolved member
    My "device" is a Nokia N8 - it is a superb camera (I use it as a camera 80% of the time I am handling it), a horrible phone (WTH happened Nokia? I still have wet dreams about the phone qualities of the ages old 6210), and a "POS WTF were they thinking?" smart-ass-phone-wannabe. Since I bought it for the camera I am still resisting throwing it against a wall but I have been very close to a meltdown a few times already.

mtbr member
    I post this knowing negative rep will most likely follow, but I can honestly say I can't understand why the iPhone is still so popular when there are so many better phone out there. Why buy a phone that forces you to buy all your content through them, won't allow customization, won't play flash, no expandable memory, hates left handed people, won't support widgets, very limited multi tasking, and you can't even load a simple NES emulator because Steve Jobs said you can't have one.

One of my favorite things to do to iPhone fanboys when they're all giddy about their phones is to show them one of my favorite websites from my younger days, homestarrunner.com. So of course this site is all flash, but I like to play dumb with them. It goes something like this everytime:

me: you should check out this funny website on your phone. You'll spend hours laughing!

them: Sure! What is it?

me: homestarrunner.com

them: I just see a black screen.

me: oh that's weird (playing dumb of course). It works fine on my phone.........

To each his own though. Apple is kind of like Specialized. They are the biggest players in the game so everyone hates them or loves them. Oh, and just like Specialized. they like to sue. Everyone. For anything.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I'm with you on dat! It's what I voted for.

What flavor are they? Do you know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast