Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Elitest thrill junkie

Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)

I'm not sure how many of you actually ride in the forest, but lately the forest fires have gotten so bad that any responsible rider needs to be carrying a fire extinguisher with them. I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. Just one look at the forest fires in CA, ID, AZ, CO and other states is enough to realize how critical it is to carry a fire extinguisher.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Hutch is my Hero
    Oct 2005
    Do i carry an "A" or "B" or "C". I'm so confused.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Do i carry an "A" or "B" or "C". I'm so confused.
    carry one that is all abcdefghijklmnopqristuvwxuyz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Do they make carbon ones?

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Those East coast riders are so lucky that they don't have to carry a 8lbs boat anchor on rides.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Great Idea!!! Seriously....

Because when you have one guy light a small fire that turns into 20 Billion Dollars worth of damage (people, and Firefighters dying because of this!! and Multi-Million Dollar homes being destroyed)-----YEAH, this could be a good idea....

Good posts (because something---like controlled burns or Brush Clearing needs to be done there!!!) But would be good to have an Extinguisher (then you would be a National HERO!!!!)----visit the White House and get on Good Morning America, etc....

Cant wait for the replies now (from the West Coasters)----but you don't have to worry about the Amish Mafia out there on the trails (so you can have a faster ride)---AND with all the trails burning down there, you should REALLY have A LOT more time to reply to this posts now!!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    What sort of holster should you use to carry one?

I build my own.
    I carry one but it's in my pants.

So what's the best holster? boxers or briefs?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    What sort of holster should you use to carry one?
    I think a shoulder holster works best for fire extinguishers. It allows the quickest access in case a fire jumps out of the shadows and tries to burn you.

Front Range, Colorado
    I'm good I've got my water bottle.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Trail Prospector
    Nah, Camelbak to the rescue - I'll just pee me a safety ring.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Maybe a combination CO2 tire inflator/fire extinguisher?

Seriously though, the thought is well intended, but not realistic. For a carryable fire extinguisher to make any difference, you'd have to discover a fire within about a minute of ignition. After that, the best you can is report it ASAP. And if you do come across something that's just starting up, spraying your water and beating it out with your jacket would be as effective as any extinguisher you could reasonably carry.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post

Seriously though, the thought is well intended, but not realistic. For a carryable fire extinguisher to make any difference, you'd have to discover a fire within about a minute of ignition. After that, the best you can is report it ASAP. And if you do come across something that's just starting up, spraying your water and beating it out with your jacket would be as effective as any extinguisher you could reasonably carry.
    Yep ^^^
    Or just ride circles around it in hopes that the menacing little bicycle will scare it into submission.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Does anyone conceal carry their fire extinguisher?

mtbr member
    My fire extinguisher is mounted on my downtube - keeps centre of gravity low.

I also fill my tyres to the brim with stans, and carry a blade. Put the tyres up to 60psi , slash my tyres and bam! That fire is out!

So all carry a backup extinguisher system, or you might get caught out.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Does anyone conceal carry their fire extinguisher?
    Yeah, I do. In most places it's the law.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

duh
    I just carry a fire blanket. It also doubles as normal blanket for when I meet a hottie on the trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post

What are you saying, that just because the chance is small that I shouldn't carry a fire extinguisher? I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared, no matter how small the odds that I'll find a fire. Some of us refuse to be victims...of forest fires.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What are you saying, that just because the chance is small that I shouldn't carry a fire extinguisher? I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared, no matter how small the odds that I'll find a fire. Some of us refuse to be victims...of forest fires.
    Didn't mean to offend. And certainly it won't hurt to carry one if you feel it's a good idea. But I still think any fire you might be lucky enough to catch still small enough for a small fire extinguisher could be handled with your water and beating out the flames.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jayem, I contend that you will have to use your extinguisher in the sight on the arsonist, and that your fire extinguisher is likely to be used against you in that circumstance and you will become the victim

Rogue Exterminator
    I'm not sure how many of you actually ride in the forest, but lately the forest fires have gotten so bad that any responsible rider needs to be carrying a fire extinguisher with them. I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. Just one look at the forest fires in CA, ID, AZ, CO and other states is enough to realize how critical it is to carry a fire extinguisher.
    Name:  srs.png
Views: 521
Size:  309.7 KB
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Jayem, I contend that you will have to use your extinguisher in the sight on the arsonist, and that your fire extinguisher is likely to be used against you in that circumstance and you will become the victim
    That is why I train with my fire extinguisher. I'm a responsible law-abiding citizen. They can pry it from my fire-retardant-coated cold dead hands.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Name:  srs.png
Views: 521
Size:  309.7 KB
    It is a satire of the other gun thread that popped up in general

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    It is a satire of the other gun thread that popped up in general
    Gotcha
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    That is why I train with my fire extinguisher. I'm a responsible law-abiding citizen. They can pry it from my fire-retardant-coated cold dead hands.
    I think you are playing with fire. Statistically it is clear that extinguisher carriers are more likely to extinguish friendly fires than unwanted ones. Sadly carriers also frequently decide to use the device to extinguish their own fires. Even those who end up in the rare situation of successfully extinguishing an unwanted fire are frequently traumatized by the outcome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast