Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 92
  1. #1
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,643

    Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)

    I'm not sure how many of you actually ride in the forest, but lately the forest fires have gotten so bad that any responsible rider needs to be carrying a fire extinguisher with them. I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. Just one look at the forest fires in CA, ID, AZ, CO and other states is enough to realize how critical it is to carry a fire extinguisher.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  2. #2
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,777
    Do i carry an "A" or "B" or "C". I'm so confused.

  3. #3
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Do i carry an "A" or "B" or "C". I'm so confused.
    carry one that is all abcdefghijklmnopqristuvwxuyz
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  4. #4
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,700
    Do they make carbon ones?

    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Those East coast riders are so lucky that they don't have to carry a 8lbs boat anchor on rides.

  6. #6
    247
    247 is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Great Idea!!! Seriously....

    Because when you have one guy light a small fire that turns into 20 Billion Dollars worth of damage (people, and Firefighters dying because of this!! and Multi-Million Dollar homes being destroyed)-----YEAH, this could be a good idea....

    Good posts (because something---like controlled burns or Brush Clearing needs to be done there!!!) But would be good to have an Extinguisher (then you would be a National HERO!!!!)----visit the White House and get on Good Morning America, etc....


    Cant wait for the replies now (from the West Coasters)----but you don't have to worry about the Amish Mafia out there on the trails (so you can have a faster ride)---AND with all the trails burning down there, you should REALLY have A LOT more time to reply to this posts now!!

  7. #7
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    What sort of holster should you use to carry one?

  8. #8
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    I carry one but it's in my pants.

    So what's the best holster? boxers or briefs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    What sort of holster should you use to carry one?
    I think a shoulder holster works best for fire extinguishers. It allows the quickest access in case a fire jumps out of the shadows and tries to burn you.

  10. #10
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,286
    I'm good I've got my water bottle.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    Nah, Camelbak to the rescue - I'll just pee me a safety ring.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,773
    Maybe a combination CO2 tire inflator/fire extinguisher?

    Seriously though, the thought is well intended, but not realistic. For a carryable fire extinguisher to make any difference, you'd have to discover a fire within about a minute of ignition. After that, the best you can is report it ASAP. And if you do come across something that's just starting up, spraying your water and beating it out with your jacket would be as effective as any extinguisher you could reasonably carry.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  13. #13
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Maybe a combination CO2 tire inflator/fire extinguisher?

    Seriously though, the thought is well intended, but not realistic. For a carryable fire extinguisher to make any difference, you'd have to discover a fire within about a minute of ignition. After that, the best you can is report it ASAP. And if you do come across something that's just starting up, spraying your water and beating it out with your jacket would be as effective as any extinguisher you could reasonably carry.
    Yep ^^^
    Or just ride circles around it in hopes that the menacing little bicycle will scare it into submission.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,827
    Does anyone conceal carry their fire extinguisher?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    505
    My fire extinguisher is mounted on my downtube - keeps centre of gravity low.

    I also fill my tyres to the brim with stans, and carry a blade. Put the tyres up to 60psi , slash my tyres and bam! That fire is out!

    So all carry a backup extinguisher system, or you might get caught out.

  16. #16
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Does anyone conceal carry their fire extinguisher?
    Yeah, I do. In most places it's the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  17. #17
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,982
    I just carry a fire blanket. It also doubles as normal blanket for when I meet a hottie on the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  18. #18
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Maybe a combination CO2 tire inflator/fire extinguisher?

    Seriously though, the thought is well intended, but not realistic. For a carryable fire extinguisher to make any difference, you'd have to discover a fire within about a minute of ignition. After that, the best you can is report it ASAP. And if you do come across something that's just starting up, spraying your water and beating it out with your jacket would be as effective as any extinguisher you could reasonably carry.
    What are you saying, that just because the chance is small that I shouldn't carry a fire extinguisher? I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared, no matter how small the odds that I'll find a fire. Some of us refuse to be victims...of forest fires.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What are you saying, that just because the chance is small that I shouldn't carry a fire extinguisher? I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared, no matter how small the odds that I'll find a fire. Some of us refuse to be victims...of forest fires.
    Didn't mean to offend. And certainly it won't hurt to carry one if you feel it's a good idea. But I still think any fire you might be lucky enough to catch still small enough for a small fire extinguisher could be handled with your water and beating out the flames.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What are you saying, that just because the chance is small that I shouldn't carry a fire extinguisher? I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared, no matter how small the odds that I'll find a fire. Some of us refuse to be victims...of forest fires.
    Jayem, I contend that you will have to use your extinguisher in the sight on the arsonist, and that your fire extinguisher is likely to be used against you in that circumstance and you will become the victim

  21. #21
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you actually ride in the forest, but lately the forest fires have gotten so bad that any responsible rider needs to be carrying a fire extinguisher with them. I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. Just one look at the forest fires in CA, ID, AZ, CO and other states is enough to realize how critical it is to carry a fire extinguisher.
    Name:  srs.png
Views: 1318
Size:  309.7 KB
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  22. #22
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,643
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Jayem, I contend that you will have to use your extinguisher in the sight on the arsonist, and that your fire extinguisher is likely to be used against you in that circumstance and you will become the victim
    That is why I train with my fire extinguisher. I'm a responsible law-abiding citizen. They can pry it from my fire-retardant-coated cold dead hands.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  23. #23
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Name:  srs.png
Views: 1318
Size:  309.7 KB
    It is a satire of the other gun thread that popped up in general
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  24. #24
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    It is a satire of the other gun thread that popped up in general
    Gotcha
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borabora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That is why I train with my fire extinguisher. I'm a responsible law-abiding citizen. They can pry it from my fire-retardant-coated cold dead hands.
    I think you are playing with fire. Statistically it is clear that extinguisher carriers are more likely to extinguish friendly fires than unwanted ones. Sadly carriers also frequently decide to use the device to extinguish their own fires. Even those who end up in the rare situation of successfully extinguishing an unwanted fire are frequently traumatized by the outcome.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What are you saying, that just because the chance is small that I shouldn't carry a fire extinguisher? I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared, no matter how small the odds that I'll find a fire. Some of us refuse to be victims...of forest fires.
    I'm not bashing you here but fire extinguishers are bulky and heavy, and unless you have something substantial it's not going to make one bit of difference. You say you like to be prepared. I like the sound of that. So, if you find a fellow hiker/biker in cardiac arrest on the trail, do you also carry a defibrillator? If you see somebody going into anaphylactic shock, do you also carry some epi-pins? What if you see a hiker/biker pinned under a fallen tree? Do you also carry a chain saw? These are all real things that could happen, too.

    You can run from a fire but you can't run from someone in need of help.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    505
    Hawg, don't you already carry those things in your saddlebag?

    Sometimes it can be hard keeping it all on the bike, especially since I don't use a camelbak anymore - I carry my deliverance banjo over my shoulder now......

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tradera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    128
    Fire extinquishers are dangerous. If I ever seen a fire I would call 911 and hope the authorities will arrive in time to put it out.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,382
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Hawg, don't you already carry those things in your saddlebag?

    Sometimes it can be hard keeping it all on the bike, especially since I don't use a camelbak anymore - I carry my deliverance banjo over my shoulder now......
    A Banjo?! Would you mind playing a few chords for us now? If you suck, I can put the fire out with my fire extinguisher. If you go into cardiac arrest or anaphylactic shock, I've got you covered.

  30. #30
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,670

    Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)

    What are you so afraid of? Where do you live that there is a fire lurking around every corner? Is it your premise that a nation fully armed with fire extinguishers is a safer nation? I suggest you look into the statistics of other developed nations concerning extinguisher use/regulation.

  31. #31
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,643
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    What are you so afraid of? Where do you live that there is a fire lurking around every corner? Is it your premise that a nation fully armed with fire extinguishers is a safer nation? I suggest you look into the statistics of other developed nations concerning extinguisher use/regulation.
    If everyone had a fire extinguisher, no one would start fires.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  32. #32
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,777
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Does anyone conceal carry their fire extinguisher?
    Mine is registered.

  33. #33
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,670

    Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If everyone had a fire extinguisher, no one would start fires.
    Right. One time at camp, one of the campers had a small fire that grew out of control. Now keep in mind that fire suppressors are not allowed in the camp. So one of the camp elders brings his suppressor into camp anyway. He hears the hoopla and just starts shooting the thing around all over the place. Kid campers were everywhere!! And I'm all like, " dude, what the hell?" And he's like "I just didn't sent any of the children to be burned!" The fire wasn't even dead! So I put it out of its misery with a shovel. What do feel when you hear about these situations?

  34. #34
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)

    Unfortunately here in California we have very restrictive fire extinguisher laws. You cannot possess a semi automatic fire extinguisher with a pistol grip, and the magazine cannot be removable by hand.

  35. #35
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,643
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Unfortunately here in California we have very restrictive fire extinguisher laws. You cannot possess a semi automatic fire extinguisher with a pistol grip, and the magazine cannot be removable by hand.
    That's ridiculous. I should be able to use a Bromotrifluoromethane fire extinguisher if I choose. It's my right and it was fought for by our forefathers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Jesus. The OP asked a very simple question and all you fire extinguisher haters have to come in here and push your politics. If you don't like fire extinguishers, you don't have to click the thread. If you don't have an answer, stfu.

  37. #37
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'm not bashing you here but fire extinguishers are bulky and heavy, and unless you have something substantial it's not going to make one bit of difference. You say you like to be prepared. I like the sound of that. So, if you find a fellow hiker/biker in cardiac arrest on the trail, do you also carry a defibrillator? If you see somebody going into anaphylactic shock, do you also carry some epi-pins? What if you see a hiker/biker pinned under a fallen tree? Do you also carry a chain saw? These are all real things that could happen, too.

    You can run from a fire but you can't run from someone in need of help.
    If you don't roll like this, you are irresponsible.

    Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)-bikepacking2.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,382
    ^ Umm, what is that thing?!

  39. #39
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)

    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Those East coast riders are so lucky that they don't have to carry a 8lbs boat anchor on rides.
    I upgraded my Suntour. Got a Recon.

  40. #40
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^ Umm, what is that thing?!
    Carry a Fire Extinguisher While Riding (Everyone Should Read This)-fire-distinguisher.-hue-hue-hue_28c78d_4628044.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,382
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If you don't roll like this, you are irresponsible.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikepacking2.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	863328
    Can you please point out the fire extinguisher in this picture?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    808
    I had a friend that had a fire that was extinguished. Ever since that day, I don't go out w/out packing.

    "Extinquisher control means using 2 hands."

    "If extinguishers are outlawed, only outlaws will have extinquishers."
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,382
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I had a friend that had a fire that was extinguished. Ever since that day, I don't go out w/out packing.

    "Extinquisher control means using 2 hands."

    "If extinguishers are outlawed, only outlaws will have extinquishers."
    You you wear one on your person at all times?!

  44. #44
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,643
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I had a friend that had a fire that was extinguished. Ever since that day, I don't go out w/out packing.

    "Extinquisher control means using 2 hands."

    "If extinguishers are outlawed, only outlaws will have extinquishers."
    Thank you. At least some of us want to keep Obama from outlawing our fire extinguishers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  45. #45
    Parking Lot Poser
    Reputation: mtbmatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    463
    A fire extinguisher for a forest fire, that's like bringing sushi to a pizza party

  46. #46
    J:
    J: is offline
    mbtr memebr
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,339
    Hey, my fire extinguisher has a harsh pull and doesn't get full travel.. even when I fight fires a really hard. I want to get the most out of my FE is there anywhere that does custom tunes??
    ...

  47. #47
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Hey, my fire extinguisher has a harsh pull and doesn't get full travel.. even when I fight fires a really hard. I want to get the most out of my FE is there anywhere that does custom tunes??
    Try PUSH.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    808
    Yep - I ain't livin' w/ the fear.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    808
    Yeah - I'm drooling over the 29er extinguisher - I want to get one before the DemoRepubs ban 'em.
    But, I just don't have the coin to pick one up right now.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    808
    I love the smell of ammonium sulfate!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice
    By LCdaveH in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 10-20-2016, 11:12 AM
  2. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM
  3. Replies: 101
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM
  4. Riding XC in Taos or Angel Fire?
    By Lateralus1082 in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
  5. Carrying SLR when riding?
    By ak57 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •