Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~Disc~Golf~

Calling all GEEKS! - Computer Help/Advice Thread

Hey, I didn't see a computer thread - so I thought I'd start one

Post up your Questions or just show off what ya got if ya'd like.

I need some advice and I'll be posting that in a bit.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~

Lookin to Upgrade

So my machine is kinda old (5-years?) and is showing it's age.
    I'd like to get some doper computer stuff

Current specs:
    CPU - Intel Pentium 4 (3GHZ)
    MB - Gigabyte 8I945P-G
    RAM - 4GB (just broke a 2G stick)
    Drives - 80Gb (95% full) [SATA]; 40Gb (95% full) [IDE]
    OS - Win7 64-bit

So I was looking at this package:
    Asus 990FX AM3+ Motherboard featuring USB 3.0 Boost, AMD FX 8350 4GHz Processor, Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module, WD 1TB Blk HDD, LG 14x BluRay Burner, & Thermaltake Case w/700W PSU at TigerDirect.com

and then I would also add a SSD Like this as the Master (use the the TB HDD as Slave)
    Plextor PX-128M5S M5 Series 128GB Solid State Drive - 2.5 Form Factor, SATA III, 6Gb/s, Supports TRIM at TigerDirect.com

Now, one of the hesitations one might have is the AMD Processor vs. INTEL - I don't know if that is an issue.
    Also, I'm really new to SSD's, but I like what I have heard about speed.

I don't do any real gaming, but most of my 'memory' is pretty intensive with heavy web applications, photoshop, an others

Also, while I know a lot of the basics, I am not a super geek by any means, so please help with any errors in my thoughts

I'd like to keep the price to ~$750, so if you see some better ideas - shoot 'em!
    Last edited by highdelll; 06-04-2013 at 09:52 PM.

official eMpTyBRain
    So funny Delll! My new thread from this evening actually started out as a computer help thread.

I need help, too. My computer and printer cannot communicate with each other and all connections are intact, correctly. I'm pissed because I cannot print anything from my computer or online. It copies just fine, though. WTF?!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

~Disc~Golf~
    did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?

On a more serious note (assuming you have that set as the default printer), did the prob just start?

official eMpTyBRain
    Yes, tried unplugging, switching USB ports, went through all the troubleshooting procedures from my computer and from the printer, ...no luck. Problems with this printer have slowly been coming on. It's owned by my employer so maybe I will just go out and replace it.

One possibility is a dead USB cable but I do not have a matching cable and I do not want to spend any money trying that idea.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Calling all GEEKS! - Computer Help/Advice Thread

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    and is showing it's age.

please help with any errors
    * its

Heh. Sorry, couldn't resist and I'm dumb about computers so I'll just watch for interesting answers.

Hawg, try to delete the printer from your list of printers and reinstall it.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    * its

Heh. Sorry, couldn't resist and I'm dumb about computers so I'll just watch for interesting answers.

Hawg, try to delete the printer from your list of printers and reinstall it.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that. Thanks for the suggestion, girl.

Front Range, Colorado
    Hawg I'm afraid to tell you but your p.c. Has obviously been overloaded with the likes of the OC. A full debugging and clean out is in order. If that does't fix it take a shot of Jameson or Jack Daniels (your choice) and kick back for a few. After an hour or so regroup plug it in and punch in M.T.B.R. but don't go the the OC right away. Some things need to be eased in to. So hang out in General or any other forum for a few minutes. Then come back to the OC in full force.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    So funny Delll! My new thread from this evening actually started out as a computer help thread.

I need help, too. My computer and printer cannot communicate with each other and all connections are intact, correctly. I'm pissed because I cannot print anything from my computer or online. It copies just fine, though. WTF?!
    Wait, so let me get this straight . . . people still print things?!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Calling all GEEKS! - Computer Help/Advice Thread

Highdelll, the new Intel haswell chipsets were just officially announced today. Wait a couple of months and the current Intel CPUs will drop in price and you'll get a much better set up for less cash.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    ...Wait a couple of months...
    awww

I don't think that will happen -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    Highdelll, the new Intel haswell chipsets were just officially announced today. Wait a couple of months and the current Intel CPUs will drop in price and you'll get a much better set up for less cash.
    what are the current chipsets named??

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Wait, so let me get this straight . . . people still print things?!
    Of course silly! I've got to have contracts and agreements signed for my "other job". They can't sign thin air...

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Hawg I'm afraid to tell you but your p.c. Has obviously been overloaded with the likes of the OC. A full debugging and clean out is in order. If that does't fix it take a shot of Jameson or Jack Daniels (your choice) and kick back for a few. After an hour or so regroup plug it in and punch in M.T.B.R. but don't go the the OC right away. Some things need to be eased in to. So hang out in General or any other forum for a few minutes. Then come back to the OC in full force.
    So basically you are suggesting suicide? OK, I'll go buy a gun today from some gangsta on da street corner.

mtbr member

I'm worried, I can read the t-shirt just fine.

official eMpTyBRain
    GOB was correct! I uninstalled, then reinstalled my printer to my computer and it's all better now. Thanks GOB! I owe you a beeeeeer!!!

Front Range, Colorado
    GOB was correct! I uninstalled, then reinstalled my printer to my computer and it's all better now. Thanks GOB! I owe you a beeeeeer!!!
    Hey I was going to suggest that, but figured you already tried the basics. I hesitated for fear of being laughed at.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Hey I was going to suggest that, but figured you already tried the basics. I hesitated for fear of being laughed at.
    DJ, my life is extremely complicated so I often overlook the obvious. I'm a male "dumb blonde" all too often.

Front Range, Colorado
    DJ, my life is extremely complicated so I often overlook the obvious. I'm a male "dumb blonde" all too often.
    Well then, you're in good company around here then. Myself included, all to many said moments.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

duh
    So my machine is kinda old (5-years?) and is showing it's age.
    I'd like to get some doper computer stuff

Current specs:
    CPU - Intel Pentium 4 (3GHZ)
    MB - Gigabyte 8I945P-G
    RAM - 4GB (just broke a 2G stick)
    Drives - 80Gb (95% full) [SATA]; 40Gb (95% full) [IDE]
    OS - Win7 64-bit

So I was looking at this package:
    Asus 990FX AM3+ Motherboard featuring USB 3.0 Boost, AMD FX 8350 4GHz Processor, Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module, WD 1TB Blk HDD, LG 14x BluRay Burner, & Thermaltake Case w/700W PSU at TigerDirect.com

and then I would also add a SSD Like this as the Master (use the the TB HDD as Slave)
    Plextor PX-128M5S M5 Series 128GB Solid State Drive - 2.5 Form Factor, SATA III, 6Gb/s, Supports TRIM at TigerDirect.com

Now, one of the hesitations one might have is the AMD Processor vs. INTEL - I don't know if that is an issue.
    Also, I'm really new to SSD's, but I like what I have heard about speed.

I don't do any real gaming, but most of my 'memory' is pretty intensive with heavy web applications, photoshop, an others

Also, while I know a lot of the basics, I am not a super geek by any means, so please help with any errors in my thoughts

I'd like to keep the price to ~$750, so if you see some better ideas - shoot 'em!
    From what I was told is that amd and intel are pretty equal in the proccessors but amd tends to be cheaper. Both my old comp and new laptop both were amd's and worked great.

My laptop is an Amd a8 with 4 cores and runs fast and smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    The great thing about solid state drives there are no moving parts unlike the disc drive tech currently in most PCs. Basically it's a big thumb drive. I believe they are more energy efficient as well. I don't think it is necessary in a desktop or tower. Sounds to me that you should make sure you have a good graphics processor in addition to lots of RAM. I would think that this is your bottleneck rather than hard drive speed. RAM and hard drive memory is cheap these days, but SSDs are still a little spendy. Your current computer is most likely bogged down with all the data and lack of RAM. You should also be running disc scans (under system tools) and anti malware, etc regularly to get rid of useless files. Don't forget to regularly backup and also transfer some unnecessary files to a backup hard drive to keep more hard disk space open.

AMD vs Intel... the age old question, I've used both and not had problems. I think AMD has higher clock rates for gamers, but that can change every 6 months or less. Intel is probably in more PCs than AMD, and is in every Mac/Apple currently. Which is mainly why AMD is cheaper. AMD did buy Radeon graphics a little while back to improve market standing. Although, Nvidia makes some good graphics processors too.

If reinstalling the printer didn't work the next thing would be to try to update drivers on the manufacturers website. I had a recent issue with a windows update and had to update the printer drivers from HP to get my printer communicating again, but that was just for wireless printing.

This is getting to be a long post. Seems like this machine should do. Asus is a big manufacturer (perhaps largest in the world), Western Digital makes good hard drives, DDR3 ram up to 32gig is nice, USB 3.0 should be nice and is backwards compatible. The only thing I don't like is the LG blu-ray, but whatever. This is probably worthy of show and tell that would result in some jaw dropping. I don't think I saw anything about the preloaded OS or other software, that might be worth another look.
    No fuss with the MUSS

~Disc~Golf~
    haha me too - hence me tongue-in-cheek comment about unplugging/plugging-in.

**From now on!!**

Suggest even the simplest of ideas
    we can rib each-other and not be assh0les about is

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Hey dudes, don't minimize my brilliant contributions! I have a whiskey sour coming my way.

PRETENDURO
    Windoze— there’s your problem.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ... The only thing I don't like is the LG blu-ray, but whatever. This is probably worthy of show and tell that would result in some jaw dropping. I don't think I saw anything about the preloaded OS or other software, that might be worth another look.
    Thanks for your rep-worthy response

RE: SSDs
    From what I have been told/read (and make absolute sense to me - al though I have not personally used one) is that, in fact, the drive is a bottle-neck nowadays.
    SSDs eliminate the seek time, and reduce the read/write times (though small), but you compound that over NUMEROUS temp files, allocations, cashes, etc, you see some noticeable gains.

As far as the blue ray thing, I could give a fcuk if it was there (would like a package w/out a cd/dvd/ray drive)

And Yeah, No preloaded OS (that I can tell) - Less time to wipe unnecessary crap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast