Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Bands

Live 2 Ride

Boy Bands

So can anyone tell me how to tell a 10 year old daughter that boy bands are just in for the money and the women? That they really don't have any natural talents? She's obsessed!!
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Live 2 Ride
    outcome won't be any different
    Yeah I know. I'm surrounded by One Direction merchandise everywhere and she loves to blast that crappy stuff they call music everyday.

Tried to get her to listen to Metallica and a few other great bands. She does not like metal.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    So can anyone tell me how to tell a 10 year old daughter that boy bands are just in for the money and the women? That they really don't have any natural talents? She's obsessed!!
    Oh, let her have a little fun! Stop being such a "Dad".

AZ
    banned
    Resistance is futile, let her be her.

gobsmacked Moderator

Boy Bands

Long live boyz ii men, new kids on the block and beastie boys.

gobsmacked Moderator

Boy Bands

Although I came into this thread thinking, "figures, Kona loves boy bands." Haha. Sorry, Kona!

Live 2 Ride
    Yeah. All three of those bands are better than One Direction. One Direction is only around because of Simon Cowell. What ever happened to hard work and then making it to the top? Seems like they give out record deals to anyone these days.

occ member
    At least she's not into crap like Linkin Park or Creed

gobsmacked Moderator

Boy Bands

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    What's wrong with linkin park?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Tried to get her to listen to Metallica and a few other great bands. She does not like metal.
    Try classical music and opera.

But seriously? Just give her 5-10 years and she'll grow out of it.

AZ
    banned
    Yeah. All three of those bands are better than One Direction. One Direction is only around because of Simon Cowell. What ever happened to hard work and then making it to the top? Seems like they give out record deals to anyone these days.

Boy, you have a lot vested in this, why do you care so much?

On wuss patrol
    Hey Kona, how ya been?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

occ member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Boy band.

I didn't do it
    So can anyone tell me how to tell a 10 year old daughter that boy bands are just in for the money and the women?
    Lol, this is why most people are in bands.

That they really don't have any natural talents? She's obsessed!!
    She's 10 and therefore part of the demographic One Direction is targeting. I say it's harmless however if she starts going Goth then you have problems.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Live 2 Ride
    She likes Linkin Park. And for the record, Linkin Park is NOT a boy band. Boy Bands are pop based, and don't play any instruments, they just sing and dance, mostly to music that has something in the lyrics to do with girls. Linkin Park is a rock band, not a boy band. I like Linkin Park and Creed.

Boy, you have a lot vested in this, why do you care so much?
    Because we argue all the time about what a "real" band is. For example i think a real band is members that play their own instruments and write their own songs. One Direction does neither. Just pretty boys singing stuff other people wrote to a beat produced synthetically.

Hey Kona, how ya been?
    I'm alright. Been dealing with newly diagnosed diabetes. Got out for a ride today. Felt pretty good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They don't have a live burlesque show on stage at their concerts like The Stranglers
    (look up the live version of "Nice & Sleazy")

occ member
    She likes Linkin Park. And for the record, Linkin Park is NOT a boy band. Boy Bands are pop based, and don't play any instruments, they just sing and dance, mostly to music that has something in the lyrics to do with girls. Linkin Park is a rock band, not a boy band. I like Linkin Park and Creed.
    Kona,I was just messin' with you.

AZ
    banned
    Because we argue all the time about what a "real" band is.

Dude, give it up. Do not argue with a ten year old over things that have no consequence. Take this friendly advice from someone that has 4 daughters.

Live 2 Ride
    Wise advice AZ. I will. Thank you.

gobsmacked Moderator

Boy Bands

Because we argue all the time about what a "real" band is. For example i think a real band is members that play their own instruments and write their own songs. One Direction does neither. Just pretty boys singing stuff other people wrote to a beat produced synthetically.
    I kinda agree with you on this. Although I would add that I only feel this way about bands. Some singers never did write their own music and are just as respected, well known and talented.

9 lives
    Telling a tween that her favorite pop idol sucks won't change her mind. What matters to her is that the band is cute and play music a yute finds swaggy.
    Some boy bands evolve into better music, so you never know One Direction might have some hidden talent YOLO
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Live 2 Ride
    I was just thinking I wouldn't mind it as much with the boy bands if she was into Backstreet Boys or NSync. I respect those bands a bit more. They fought their way to the top, they were not given a record deal simply for being on the X Factor. And frankly they both can sing better than One Direction.

gobsmacked Moderator

Boy Bands

I was just thinking I wouldn't mind it as much with the boy bands if she was into Backstreet Boys or NSync. I respect those bands a bit more. They fought their way to the top, they were not given a record deal simply for being on the X Factor. And frankly they both can sing better than One Direction.
    Don't you think your appreciation for them grew over time? I've seen on TV parents being pissed off their kids liked Elvis and the Beatles. Wo knows how history looks back on music.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This is nothing, when she is older and starts to date boys
    then you have something to worry about.

Live 2 Ride
    Yeah I'm not looking forward to that.

Terrain Sculptor
    ...Boy Bands are pop based, and don't play any instruments, they just sing and dance, mostly to music that has something in the lyrics to do with girls...
    You mean like the Osmonds or the Jackson 5? Or almost any popular singer from the 50's or 60's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

I'm just messing with you
    The Beatles were the first boy band

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

****** to the dirt
    She will grow out of them in time.

most guys are into girl bands to. Wasn't spice girls one of your favourite when you were young?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Live 2 Ride
    No. I wasn't into pop growing up. Mostly country and rock/metal at home. Speaking of One Direction I find it funny that my daughter refuses to use a spoon because one of the 1D guys does the same. Talk about letting others run your life.

I didn't do it
    Even though One Direction is undoubtedly an aggressively marketed for profit only enterprise I found it hard to believe that they would commit to see a young cancer patient only to drop out after learning they would not get paid. As it turns out that may be an internet hoax originating from FB. They actually did meet an 8 yr old patient and of course it made her day.

One Direction interrupt tour to visit brave cancer-stricken school girl | Mail Online

Now for Bieber, well lets just hope he floats away never to be seen nor heard from ever again.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

I confess to have done no research related to that info
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Binned
    Nov 2008
    No. I wasn't into pop growing up. Mostly country and rock/metal at home. Speaking of One Direction I find it funny that my daughter refuses to use a spoon because one of the 1D guys does the same. Talk about letting others run your life.
    Country AND metal/rock?!

I've always thought of Country as girly music because the songs are mainly about love.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Country AND metal/rock?!

I've always thought of Country as girly music because the songs are mainly about love.
    some song ya just have to listen to the lyrics. double meaningn

My Blog

El Gato Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Now for Bieber, well lets just hope he floats away never to be seen nor heard from ever again.
    Bieber did recently get arrested for drunk driving, so there is hope.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    Bieber did recently get arrested for drunk driving, so there is hope.
    yeah but they let him out on bail
    My Blog

Live 2 Ride
    Country AND metal/rock?!

My Mom more or less forced us to listen to country growing up. I remember getting a rock album and she took it and told me to listen to something else. Now I listen to nu-metal, metal, rock, some old school rap, and a little bit of pop and country. Mostly just old school country, stuff before the electric guitar, and Garth Brooks. My favorite band is Korn.

gobsmacked Moderator
    My Mom more or less forced us to listen to country growing up.
    And how did you like that? C'mon. Let it go and let your daughter be her own person and find her own voice even if she has to copy somebody different than you right now. Seriously, I hope you're doing okay, Kona, and see the positives in things. Sure is super to be alive and you even have a family to boot!

I like all the bands/groups mentioned except perhaps Creed and Korn and even then I don't really mind. I do not like the B kid but I don't want to say his name in the hopes that he will disappear from public view.

However, if somebody bashes Johnny Cash, I will drop my gloves.

I Ride Bikes
    I also don't understand the craze surrounding the Beatles. The original Boy band. I blame all this on them. I will admit that they had good songwriting, but the vocals were mediocre at best.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

Live 2 Ride
    The Beatles were not a boy band. They played their own instruments so that disqualifies them as being a boy band. They were more or less a rock band.

I encouraged my daughter toward Hanson, because they played real instruments and wrote their own songs.

Now she listens to Icelandic folk metal. Go figure.

My parents didn't make me listen to country music, but they surrounded me with it. I thank them for that, but it was back in the 60s when country was country, not a bad pop band with a fiddle. Making kids listen to modern popular "country" music should be considered child abuse.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    However, if somebody bashes Johnny Cash, I will drop my gloves.
    And I was sitting here going, wait, country is all about love, and is for girls?

Buddy, you've been listening to the wrong kind of country.

If you meant any of the clap trap that Nashville pushes, meaning, pop music with a fiddle? Agreed, it can all take a long walk off a short pier.

But tell me Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, heck, even his grandson Hank III, are just singing about love? Nope, not even close.

My son started out on a good foundation. Plenty of blues, classic rock, "real" country, bluegrass, some "real" metal too, even a good bit of classical.

Damn if the kid still ended up listening to hip hop and rap, wtf did I do wrong?

Oh right, he's his own person, subject to the whims foisted upon him by the society that surrounds him......

However, I can put on just about anything, and he's good with it. I'll call that a win.

Now, since most here seem to skew towards the heavier end of the spectrum, let's have Johnny bring us home, and with none of that lovey dovey crap either.

Johnny Cash Hurt - YouTube

P.S. If you can listen to this song, understand how old and frail he was when he did it, feel the power he still conveyed, despite that fact, and not get chills, you may want to talk to your doctor.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I also don't understand the craze surrounding the Beatles. The original Boy band. I blame all this on them. I will admit that they had good songwriting, but the vocals were mediocre at best.
    Like them or hate them, The Beatles possessed a stronger understanding of the use of chord structure, key, the interplay of major and minor, and it's ability to affect human emotion, than probably any "band" in history.

You'd have to look to Mozart, Beethoven and the like, to see a stronger, deeper understanding of music, and how it affects us as human beings, at the very core of our being......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    it's not worth the worry. i'd maybe worry if you came home and she was jammin to gg allin...hehe

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    relax dad. they come around. 2 daughters in their 20's

mtbr member

Re: Boy Bands

She like them because they have #swag

But seriously....it's just a phase. I would estimate that about 90% of girls like crappy pop music when they're that age

Live 2 Ride
    Like them or hate them, The Beatles possessed a stronger understanding of the use of chord structure, key, the interplay of major and minor, and it's ability to affect human emotion, than probably any "band" in history.
    Nope. I disagree. Metallica has a better hold on music than the Beatles ever did.

Nope. I disagree. Metallica has a better hold on music than the Beatles ever did.
    Meh, if your boat's afloat, I'll not cast stones.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

AZ
    banned

Seriously? Can anyone in Metalica even even read music?

Live 2 Ride
    Yeah, they can. Not worth arguing about.

****** to the dirt
    Sorry but the Beatles are way more known and liked then Metallica (yes I do like Metallica). To this day more Beatles have had more influence then most bands around.
    My Blog

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sorry but you're off base with that one. I love Metallica but as far as comparing the Beatles to them in terms of influencing people. No comparison sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

AZ
    banned

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    I don't I can count that high.
    My Blog

Huh?
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

gobsmacked Moderator
    cray cray! earth is flat!

****** to the dirt
    cray cray! earth is flat!
    yes and the sun revolves around the earth
    My Blog

Anybody want to use Konas quote below for your signature line. It's guaranteed to bring laughter with it wherever it goes.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Huh?

What is, how many Beatles albums have been sold Alex?
    So, even if you discount half of those sales for sycophant fanbois it still leaves a number of album sales that is likely never going to be eclipsed by any act. Metallica on the other hand has sold a paltry 150 million.
    Not to take anything away from them but, the Beatles simply occupy a much higher plane in both sales and cubic talent.

So, even if you discount half of those sales for sycophant fanbois it still leaves a number of album sales that is likely never going to be eclipsed by any act. Metallica on the other hand has sold a paltry 150 million.
    Not to take anything away from them but, the Beatles simply occupy a much higher plane in both sales and cubic talent.
    Totally agree and so does Alex.

ALEX TREBEK
    Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. On behalf of all of us, welcome to America's favorite answer-and-question game, "Jeopardy!" You know how we play it; we provide the categories and the answers, and it's then up to our contestants to give us the right question. Players, as you know, anytime you recognize an answer you're free to ring in; however, I do want to caution you about the jeopardy - if you are wrong, the value of the answer will be deducted from your score. But, to help you add to your winnings, we have hidden somewhere on the board a Daily Double. If you're lucky enough to uncover that, then you'll have a chance to double any or all of your winnings up to that point in the round. And it's very important that you try to win as much money as possible, because only the player with the most cash at the end of the day will wind up keeping his or her winnings. If you're ready, then let us play "Jeopardy!"

****** to the dirt
    Nevermind all the bands that sampled, or covered the beatles.
    My Blog

Yet you'd disagree with me on the matter.

All I'll add is when Metallica covers as broad a range of musical styles as The Beatles, you'll have a much stronger leg to stand on.

Sure, they are good at what they do, but can they do a myriad of other styles, as well?

Perhaps, and I'm not an expert on them, so maybe they've done a bunch of bluegrass covers, a couple blues tunes, a classical album, etc, then well they are truly masters of all they survey....

All good, whatever blows your hair back, just funny you'd say it's not worth arguing once someone more in your face than me, calls you on it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Live 2 Ride
    You misunderstand me. I now realize I was wrong on the matter. I just didn't want this to turn into a huge argument, that's all. Sorry. You guys are right about the Beatles. And yes, Metallica does a good job with metal. I think the Beatles were some of Metallica's influences.

Killer b.
    We're trying to give our kids a good grounding in music while they're still really young in the hopes that they'll be educated enough to resist whatever populist crap the music machine is pumping out when they hit their teens. It probably won't work, especially with our daughter, but it's worth a crack.

On the Beatles, I ain't gonna argue on the talent front. They wrote some amazing stuff, and they were undoubtedly pivotal in shaping modern music for sure. I just sometimes get the feeling that they got to the point where they thought they could release absolutely anything and their fans would lap it up. Case in point: Yellow Submarine. That must have been the acid talking, surely?
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

I Ride Bikes
    The Beatles were not a boy band. They played their own instruments so that disqualifies them as being a boy band. They were more or less a rock band.

They were boys that played in a band. Boy Band. Don't know how you can argue that one.

Live 2 Ride
    Simple. As wikipedia says:

A boy band (or boyband) is loosely defined as a vocal group consisting of young male singers, usually in their teenage years or in their twenties at the time of formation. Being vocal groups, most boy band members do not play musical instruments, either in recording sessions or on stage.

Boy band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beatles qualify as a rock band, not a boy band. They play their own instuments, and as far as I know, didn't produce pop based music.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

You'd have to look to Mozart, Beethoven and the like, to see a stronger, deeper understanding of music, and how it affects us as human beings, at the very core of our being......
    Nice answer.
    Just to let you know, I am a fellow musician and student of the art. I spent my younger years, especially my high school years, studying and writing music. I love and appreciate all genres of music. I do not confine myself to just 5 or 7 different genres of music. My ears are open to it all. Some people refuse to listen to rap or traditional Hawaiian, or japanese enka. I listen to it all and appreciate the music and talent that it took to lay down that track. My credentials: "Most Talented" in High School (because of my musicality....i don't have any other talent that I am aware of.) for my Senior Year. So yeah, I know my stuff. lol.

Like I mentioned before, the Beatles were very good songwriters. Mozart and Beethoven were outstanding songwriters as well. However, they also knew their boundaries and chose not to sing. Just because you have the ability to write music, doesn't mean you have the equal amount of ability and talent to sing it. Great songs do a lot better with great voices. The Beatles however decided to sing. They have average voices. Their harmonies are very schoolboy choir like. I would rather listen to a cover band with above average voices sing their songs. A voice in a song is just as important as the melody and music that is backing it. I really just wish the Beatles had a better singer.

honestly, my original comment was more or less to show the flipside of the younger generation vs. the older generation. Most 14 year old girls will never understand why older people like the Beatles. To them, One Direction is the ultimate group ever. The older generation will never understand why young girls like One Direction. Metallica is awesome! right?

Just because you like Metallica doesn't mean your daughter has to like them and understand how great they are. IMO, Metallica has probably done more drugs, drank more alcohol, and screwed more women, than One Direction at this point. So take that into consideration as well. It is also well documented that the Beatles also did drugs. From LSD, to cocaine, pills, etc. So who would you rather want your teenage daughter to admire now?

BTW, how can you not like this song?

I Ride Bikes
    Simple. As wikipedia says:

A boy band (or boyband) is loosely defined as a vocal group consisting of young male singers, usually in their teenage years or in their twenties at the time of formation. Being vocal groups, most boy band members do not play musical instruments, either in recording sessions or on stage.

Boy band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beatles qualify as a rock band, not a boy band. They play their own instuments, and as far as I know, didn't produce pop based music.

In all seriousness, as far as I know, they played a mix of rock and pop music. To not consider some of their songs to be pop would be insane.

On the subject of singing when one doesn't have the most often voice? The Beatles came up through the same era that brought us Bob Dylan so I think it was kind of a time period thing.....

Could also be from an era where ones overt abilities in one arena, allowed lesser ones to be overlooked as a part of the larger picture.

Sure, they had a few songs that don't do much for me, whatever.

What I find astounding is that I have the entire discography on my iPod, and have run that thing on random at the shop, all day, for the better part of 10 years. Of course I have a metric ton of other stuff too, but I still have songs pop up that make me go, who the heck is that, walk over, and sure enough, it's a Beatles tune I really think I never heard.

And funny, but for as accepting and open minded as I am, I simply cannot wrap my brain around anything the music industry has "created" in this era of autotuned people chosen for the way they look, and handed a sheet of words to sing after a visit with the costume department, stylist, and TMZ photographer. There's still good music out there, and thanks to the internet, it can be found much more easily than when I was a kid. All that being said, even if they possess talent, and write their own stuff, no amount of pushing gets me to a space where I find hip hop and rap enjoyable, at all.

Just so we know, I have my blind spots too

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

In all seriousness, as far as I know, they played a mix of rock and pop music. To not consider some of their songs to be pop would be insane.
    It stems from Popular, (not that this is earth shattering news or anything) and while it used to mean talented folks who, while you might not personally like their music, but a huge amount of folks do, (Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin come to mind) it has been turned into an industry that tells "us" what we like, thus, artificially creating what is popular, as opposed to popularity being earned because you were actually good enough for a whole lot of people to like your stuff.

Sad.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Not worth arguing about.
    Sounds like your kid has learned from you well. She likes her generations crap music, and you like your generation's crap music. So what were you complaining about again?
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Nevermind all the bands that sampled, or covered the beatles.
    Or their solo careers.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I have been a musician for 30+ years. My love of music has been passed on to both of my daughters. Some of the music i played when they were young children is still on their list of favorite bands, some not so much. Both daughters branched out and "discovered" their own musical preferences.

My oldest likes dub step remixes (ive heard some VERY cool ones from her play list) and her current fav band is Avenged Sevenfold.

My 14yo daughter's fav band is System of a Down (Kona, you will be happy to know she despises one direction and all it stands for), but she has been getting into odd carnival and pipe organ instrumentals lately.

Each daughter did go through a kid pop phase. I encouraged it and would let them play their CDs in the truck when we drove places (BTW, toxic by Brittany Spears is an AMAZING song!!!). Each daughter came back to the heavier crap ol dad always rocked out to eventually. Honestly, i am flattered my daughters still like metal... but i think the fact that i showed them an open minded appreciation of ALL music basically removed music as a form of rebellion. A lot of kids will stick to a type of music specifically due to parental disapproval. Remove that rebellion element and people will lean heavily on the familiar sounds of what they grew up listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    On the subject of singing when one doesn't have the most often voice? The Beatles came up through the same era that brought us Bob Dylan so I think it was kind of a time period thing..... Could also be from an era where ones overt abilities in one arena, allowed lesser ones to be overlooked as a part of the larger picture.
    I was watching TV and that tattooed guy from "The voice" popped up on a K-mart commercial, leading me to realize that bands used to write music to try to change the world, or at least their own generation's attitudes. Now they write music to sell their ugly designer clothes. Now get off my lawn.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I think there's a lot of amazing songwriting and music still happening today. The only thing I miss is albums (cuz I'm cheap) as that was the best way of understanding a musician in total with the good and the bad songs side by side.

I'm probably the rare person that tends to go rock, pop, and r&b rather than metal though. I'm not sure I can name a single Metallica song although I've probably heard it.

I'm probably the rare person that tends to go rock, pop, and r&b rather than metal though. I'm not sure I can name a single Metallica song although I've probably heard it.
    It's probably not as rare as you'd think. I was a metal head when young and later southern rock. Nowadays I'll queue up all my Beatles albums both group and solo (and Dylan, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, etc), and just let it roll because to me the lyrics have meaning, and it's relaxing.

The other day my wife was blasting AC/DC while cleaning house, and I realized that music just makes me want to break stuff. That's not what I listen to music for, but it probably worked well for me when I was younger because that's basically what we did.

I figure I'd have been a different person today if I'd have figured that out when I was young.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Right there with ye wvbob.... ive been on a beatles kick for about 8 years now. It amuses the hell out of both my former hippie parents that I have "discovered" them now.

mtbr member
    Kona, her interest will eventually morph into something else.

What I'm witnessing on my end is a Pandora-like experience. Her (my daughter) former pop faves had touches of folk or whatnot woven into the music, so she finds herself getting into different music as a result. I'm not sure how finds the music, but I hear stuff from her Ipod that is pretty cool such as MGMT.

Sometimes things work in reverse order. I'm slowly become a fan of Lorde. The girl has some pipes, has her own vibe working and can throw down some 80's dance moves.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Live 2 Ride
    Lorde is awesome. I listen to her music almost everyday.

This threads giving me a headache.

Live 2 Ride
    No one is forcing you to read it.

No one is forcing you to read it.
    As I read it all I hear is boy bands. That's what's giving me a headache.

Live 2 Ride
    Yeah. Now imagine it in your house everyday. Welcome to my world.

Yeah. Now imagine it in your house everyday. Welcome to my world.
    Simple solution, just buy your kids some head phones and demand they listen only with those on while in your presence. Then as an extra precaution get some ear plugs for yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boy Bands-image.jpg  

Live 2 Ride
    l it's not that simple. She has headphones. The issue is she loves to blast the music in her room and you can hear it in the front room even with her door closed. So I usually turn up my metal or the TV. Getting her to turn it down is like pulling teeth.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Were you ever a teenager? Get over it. It's only gonna get worse. I bet we were all like that. Next comes sex and drugs! woo hoo!

AZ
    banned
    Make a deal with her, she can play her music loud while you are at work.

Live 2 Ride
    That would work if I was working AZ. I'm a stay at home Dad.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    I hope she becomes a Jr fan
    Jeremy Roenick?

Live 2 Ride
    Actually she does not like NASCAR. Or many other sports.

l it's not that simple. She has headphones. The issue is she loves to blast the music in her room and you can hear it in the front room even with her door closed. So I usually turn up my metal or the TV. Getting her to turn it down is like pulling teeth.
    If she's wearing headphones and you can hear it in the front room even with her door closed buy her better headphones. I'm thinking she has headphones but doesn't use them.

Big Mac

Boy Bands

Nice answer.
    Just to let you know, I am a fellow musician and student of the art. I spent my younger years, especially my high school years, studying and writing music. I love and appreciate all genres of music. I do not confine myself to just 5 or 7 different genres of music. My ears are open to it all. Some people refuse to listen to rap or traditional Hawaiian, or japanese enka. I listen to it all and appreciate the music and talent that it took to lay down that track. My credentials: "Most Talented" in High School (because of my musicality....i don't have any other talent that I am aware of.) for my Senior Year. So yeah, I know my stuff. lol.

Like I mentioned before, the Beatles were very good songwriters. Mozart and Beethoven were outstanding songwriters as well. However, they also knew their boundaries and chose not to sing. Just because you have the ability to write music, doesn't mean you have the equal amount of ability and talent to sing it. Great songs do a lot better with great voices. The Beatles however decided to sing. They have average voices. Their harmonies are very schoolboy choir like. I would rather listen to a cover band with above average voices sing their songs. A voice in a song is just as important as the melody and music that is backing it. I really just wish the Beatles had a better singer.

honestly, my original comment was more or less to show the flipside of the younger generation vs. the older generation. Most 14 year old girls will never understand why older people like the Beatles. To them, One Direction is the ultimate group ever. The older generation will never understand why young girls like One Direction. Metallica is awesome! right?

Just because you like Metallica doesn't mean your daughter has to like them and understand how great they are. IMO, Metallica has probably done more drugs, drank more alcohol, and screwed more women, than One Direction at this point. So take that into consideration as well. It is also well documented that the Beatles also did drugs. From LSD, to cocaine, pills, etc. So who would you rather want your teenage daughter to admire now?

BTW, how can you not like this song?

Mozart and Beethoven didn't write songs. They wrote music. I would think you'd know that. As far as voices go, if you really think that not one of the Beatles had vocal talent, then your opinion on voice quality is worthless. And since when does a good voice matter in rock any way? It's all about passion and emotion, the ability to invoke emotion.

Live 2 Ride
    I'm thinking she has headphones but doesn't use them.
    Exactly. The whole "It's my room I'll do what I want" thing.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    didn't know the name and was afraid to google it at work

figured you'd leave a porn star name that would land me in HR
    That would be Veronica Moser.

AZ
    banned
    Exactly. The whole "It's my room I'll do what I want" thing.

Why don't you just grow a pair and exercise some authority? My Dog, its a pre teen and you can't get a handle on shit? You're supposed to be the parental unit in charge?

Live 2 Ride
    You're supposed to be the parental unit in charge?
    Actually Mom is the one in charge. I'm just the step Dad so anything I ask of her goes in one ear and out the other. It's complicated.

Actually Mom is the one in charge. I'm just the step Dad so anything I ask of her goes in one ear and out the other. It's complicated.
    Even as a step dad she needs to show respect and follow what you say.

AZ
    banned
    It's complicated.

Its a lack of respect, its not complicated.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Kona, you're the Rodney Dangerfield of MTBR.

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-29-2014 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    As far as voices go, if you really think that not one of the Beatles had vocal talent, then your opinion on voice quality is worthless. And since when does a good voice matter in rock any way? It's all about passion and emotion, the ability to invoke emotion.
    The Beatles can sing, but none of them were great vocalists like say, Freddie Mercury or Tarja Turunen. And conveniently, that's two examples there of where a great voice matters in rock. Click those links and listen, I don't think you can honestly tell me that John, Paul, George, or Ringo can sing that well.

AZ
    banned
    The second one just doesn't rock enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0