I ride bikes

Bought a new bike on Ebay without talking to wife... Wife was cool with it.

Success? I think so.

mtbr member
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I wouldn't call all clear just yet.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

AZ
    banned
    Pics,

of wife?

I ride bikes
    Bought a new bike on Ebay without talking to wife... Wife was cool with it.-marin-2013-mount_vision_xm7_1152_658_s_c1_smart_scale.jpg
    Actual pic of bike I bought.
    Name:  612.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  36.1 KB
    Not actual wife(But i dont think you guys care)
    She did give me some sexy NEKKID pics for christmas. But I am not sharing.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I wouldn't call all clear just yet.
    I do have to sell my beloved Mount Vision. But got a crazy deal on my new Mount Vision so it should be okay.

The White Jeff W
    Great success!

Me & my girl have an understanding. I dont ask about her shit and she doesnt ask about mine. For over a month she didnt even notice that I built a new bike until I mentioned it.
    No moss...

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Great success!

Me & my girl have an understanding. I dont ask about her shit and she doesnt ask about mine. For over a month she didnt even notice that I built a new bike until I mentioned it.
    My wifes hobbies include wine drinking, crafting, and mountian biking. None of which are even close to how much I spend on Biking. She also makes more money than I do.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    She did give me some sexy NEKKID pics for christmas. But I am not sharing.
    We are not asking you to share your wife with us. Just post a few of the nekkid pics, that's all.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    during summer 2013 i smuggled a new build into the house over the course of about three months

a piece from here a piece from there

its just a whole bikes worth of brand new replacement parts from my favourite three online bike retailers.....honest

when the frame turned up i had some explaining to do
    Did your wife say, "Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do!"?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    during summer 2013 i smuggled a new build into the house over the course of about three months

a piece from here a piece from there

its just a whole bikes worth of brand new replacement parts from my favourite three online bike retailers.....honest

when the frame turned up i had some explaining to do
    Classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    All of my bikes are Black. That way when a new one arrives I swap it out as if nothing happened.

Only problem is when I went from two bikes to three.......she can count ;-)

The Boat or The Bike?
    definitely my favorite thread of the day.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

High Desert MTBer
    I was browsing the new bike shop down the road here, and lusting over a very nice Giant carbon 27.5". Only would have cost me 5 and a half Gs. I told my wife when I got home that I had been there and lusted after it, and she said that she wished she could afford to gift it to me for Christmas... ahhhh!
    Today I got back from a great ride and said that I really didn't need an expensive new bike when the ones I have, even tho older and battle-scarred, work so well and are all I need... she immediately flared up and said don't dare even think about getting a new 5K bike when we need new carpets in the house!... Sheesh! Women!
    It's all Here. Now.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    definitely my favorite thread of the day.
    You are welcome!

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I was browsing the new bike shop down the road here, and lusting over a very nice Giant carbon 27.5". Only would have cost me 5 and a half Gs. I told my wife when I got home that I had been there and lusted after it, and she said that she wished she could afford to gift it to me for Christmas... ahhhh!
    Today I got back from a great ride and said that I really didn't need an expensive new bike when the ones I have, even tho older and battle-scarred, work so well and are all I need... she immediately flared up and said don't dare even think about getting a new 5K bike when we need new carpets in the house!... Sheesh! Women!
    My bike was only 1200 bucks. 5k without asking, and I would not be married anymore. HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    All of my bikes are Black. That way when a new one arrives I swap it out as if nothing happened.

Well then at least you know what two qualities to look for in your next wife.

Color blind & math challenged.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I kind of did something like that, but way worse. A new snowmobile.
    I had explained to her, that with my motorblown on the old one it is not worth fixing. I will sell the old one and use that money to replace the money from the savings.

she just looked at me and said "you are good with money" but the look, well if you are married you get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    that smile, where the lips just go out and back, not back and up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post

LMFAO. Nice strategy. haha

Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    that smile, where the lips just go out and back, not back and up.
    I know that girl, where did you meet her.

So i bought a new Trek Madone

Told my wife that local bike store had a competion on and every time that you get your bike serviced or buy parts you go into the draw to win a road bike and that i had won it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a new bike on Ebay without talking to wife... Wife was cool with it.-asset_166275.jpg  

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcisok View Post

Told my wife that local bike store had a competion on and every time that you get your bike serviced or buy parts you go into the draw to win a road bike and that i had won it
    You're gonna have to take that filthy lie to the grave with you. I hope you don't lose any sleep, get any grey hairs, lose your hair, let it eat away at your soul, and I really hope that she doesn't have any filthy lies that she's keeping from you.

In other words, it's time to come clean.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Success? I think so.

Name:  success.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  64.8 KB
    No moss...

Good luck with that little white lie. All she has to do is make a simple phone call to the bike shop. Bike shop "huh what are you talking about"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just tell my wife what I'm buying, I just don't disclose the price to often. Next is a Giant a Defy 2, she knows the cost.

I still want a new MTB this year, that one, she will just not know the full cost.

The White Jeff W
    My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    what are we talkin about?
    P-Whipped.jpg

****** to the dirt

Just hope she isn't a member on here or reads the posts after you are gone out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have to share my thoughts on this...

I've know these three guys for more than two decades, who have worked hard since, ever, and have saved their money in hopes of having 'something' some day. Of course, like many people, their paternal clock ticks and they wish to create a family. Though one guy I know says he does not want children, like myself, and I know as fact that his wife of now 7 years has a different perspective.

Anyways, more to the point. These guys have money in their pockets all the time, even before marriage. Two of them decided to go for children, now savings are import. However, my friend who wishes to travel through this life childless has taken a lady who feels a paternal instinct, they will have problems of sorts as time roles on. Here is were all three have a common similarity, and they only know each other through me and are not friends outside our relations. All of their wives now control their finances and assets they worked so hard for before they met the lady they fell in love with.

To each their own: I made my money and I will spend it how I desire without asking anyone for permission. I will only 'give' my money to charities and people needing bus money because they are stuck. I have to give a percentage of my money to government or voluntarily go to prison; I will not create a prison out of my house!
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    I have to share my thoughts on this...

I made my money and I will spend it how I desire without asking anyone for permission. I will only 'give' my money to charities and people needing bus money because they are stuck. I have to give a percentage of my money to government or voluntarily go to prison; I will not create a prison out of my house!
    Agree 100% I do have a family but if I decide to put money aside for a 5G bike instead of putting new carpet it's still my choice how I spend my money.

Now if push comes to shove I can always sell a kidney
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

High Desert MTBer
    Are people really that serious about hiding expenditure like this? A marriage or relationship is a partnership where discussion of priorities for expenditure should take place. If there is a huge disparity of desires, bike vs. carpet etc., then there may need to be some 'recalibration'! Personally, I can see the need for a new carpet, and if I want a new bike too, some recalibration of budgeting would need to take place. I keep my existing bikes in good order, so I always have a ride...
    Sadly, I doubt anyone would want any of my organ stock after the beating they have taken over the years!
    It's all Here. Now.

I Ride Bikes
    I buy what I want. I also buy her what she wants. <--this is very important. lol.

Yes, I bought a $3000 carbon HT bike off of ebay also, and she was happy for me. It was a good deal so she understood. I told her right after the seller accepted my offer.

I married her because she is always so supportive of me. We don't let things like money get in the way of our relationship. 11 years and counting.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I painted the house this summer, instead of paying either 5.5 or $6,000. I told her we saved $3,000, not that I spent $2,800 on a new enduro

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I painted the house this summer, instead of paying either 5.5 or $6,000. I told her we saved $3,000, not that I spent $2,800 on a new enduro
    And what did you buy her with the other $200?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    Yes but it hurts more asking for forgiveness.

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    ...I married her because she is always so supportive of me. We don't let things like money get in the way of our relationship. 11 years and counting.
    ^^^Key observation.

This is another very interesting thread. Here is my approach.

Hide Nothing: I am lucky. I need/want to hide nothing from my wife. Its not worth the residual blowback and our relationship doesn't work that way. My advice, if they don't understand the significance or importance, it's time for as RockerC calls it a "recalibration."

Set Some Expectations: Prep for the expenditure by saving for it, and then talking about it. When I get ready for a new bike, I usually start talking about what I want and why I'm going that route. The extent of the financial burden is representative of the time spent talking/educating. I show my wife pictures, details and talk costs. Then, once I've finally decided, it's not an issue.

Mind The budget: I typically can buy whatever I want, but I also am pretty savvy on where I can get the most bang for my buck. I ride well enough now that I can justify something pretty decent but typically buy 1 or 2 down from the top of the line, or if its super expensive, buy a frame and piece it together over time.

Express The Fun. Now that you're riding the bike, be sure to tell you wife how much fun the ride was. How nice the new bike is. How thankful you are that she/he supports your behavior.

Now Wear It Out: Lastly, now you've done all that, it is your responsibility to ride the hell out of that bike, and wear it the f*ck out. Depending upon what you buy, in 3-5 (or 10?) it will be time for something new. This is the put up or shut up step. If you don't do this, it's all for naught and you've lost any sincere credibility.

RAKC
    Man my life is a mix of this. Think my wife is bi polar sometimes.

Discussing getting a fatty. First I mention 2k and she flips and says hell no. Then she sees one while out with me one day. Told her I'll be saving for it. So seemed to accept the idea more. Back and forth with accepting or getting upset. One point told me I could use the tax refund for it....but I know better than to do that, never hear the end of it.

The other side is I buy/order stuff and more often then not she has no idea or doesn't think it costs enough to care

Its not a matter of lying just a matter of leaving out details and knowing how to do it. And having a wife that just doesn't care too much about the money being spent.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Man my life is a mix of this. Think my wife is bi polar sometimes.

Discussing getting a fatty. First I mention 2k and she flips and says hell no. Then she sees one while out with me one day. Told her I'll be saving for it. So seemed to accept the idea more. Back and forth with accepting or getting upset. One point told me I could use the tax refund for it....but I know better than to do that, never hear the end of it.

The other side is I buy/order stuff and more often then not she has no idea or doesn't think it costs enough to care

Its not a matter of lying just a matter of leaving out details and knowing how to do it. And having a wife that just doesn't care too much about the money being spent.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Yes "some" woman act bi polar just to piss us off.

I'm just messing with you
    I was using an old air compressor (1957). It about beats itself to death when I'm working with it. Wife told me to buy a new one, instead I tightened the belts up and shimmed it to the floor and it quietened down.

Then her brother gave me a compressor from his oil change shop that I thought just needed some new capacitors in the motor. I cleaned it up and got it working, but that only lasted less than a day's worth of actual usage until it quit again. So I told her I was just going to give up and buy a new motor for it because something had to be causing the caps to fail. She said quit working on old junk and get a new one, but being me, I explained how a compressor to do what the latest one does would cost me about $2500 but I can buy a new motor online for < $400 and that will fix it for decades to come.

Then I got the motor, and it had a couple of tiny stripped bolts in it right out of the box. Just enough to where it would rattle like hell if I used it. Since I bought it online, I couldn't just exchange it, it had to go to a local distributor for repair. So now my brand new motor is in the shop for god knows how long until it gets warrantied. I think it's payback for being so stupid and turning down two offers to just go buy a new compressor.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I was using an old air compressor (1957). It about beats itself to death when I'm working with it. Wife told me to buy a new one, instead I tightened the belts up and shimmed it to the floor and it quietened down.

Then her brother gave me a compressor from his oil change shop that I thought just needed some new capacitors in the motor. I cleaned it up and got it working, but that only lasted less than a day's worth of actual usage until it quit again. So I told her I was just going to give up and buy a new motor for it because something had to be causing the caps to fail. She said quit working on old junk and get a new one, but being me, I explained how a compressor to do what the latest one does would cost me about $2500 but I can buy a new motor online for < $400 and that will fix it for decades to come.

Then I got the motor, and it had a couple of tiny stripped bolts in it right out of the box. Just enough to where it would rattle like hell if I used it. Since I bought it online, I couldn't just exchange it, it had to go to a local distributor for repair. So now my brand new motor is in the shop for god knows how long until it gets warrantied. I think it's payback for being so stupid and turning down two offers to just go buy a new compressor.
    Next time just listen to your wife when she tells you to buy new tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Next time just listen to your wife when she tells you to buy new tools.
    Of all times to listen to her this would be one of those.