Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

I didn't do it
    Check out the Twitter feed for close up photos and real time info.

official eMpTyBRain
    I can't wait to find out what caused this accident. Looks like the tail fins fell off?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Will be interesting to read the investigation report in due time. As a pilot this is tough to see, glad it was better than it could have been so far.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I can't wait to find out what caused this accident. Looks like the tail fins fell off?

Or knocked off. My first thought on seeing photos was a landing that came up short. Thankfully it wasn't worse than it is.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Or knocked off. My first thought on seeing photos was a landing that came up short. Thankfully it wasn't worse than it is.
    Yeah, the tail fins were down the embankment from where the runway started..or at least that's how it looked from the pics. Ooops maybe? Pilot was prolly texting...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Thing is - that Boeing tail section has an aluminum alloy skeleton, sheathed in carbon fiber. Wonder what failed first....????
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Wonder what failed first....????
    Probably the pilot.

~Disc~Golf~
    Thing is - that Boeing tail section has an aluminum alloy skeleton, sheathed in carbon fiber. Wonder what failed first....????
    obviously the CF - as it it has the potential to explode in sunlight - exploding carbon clincher rims:

Though, this is SFO, where sunlight is doubtful

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Boeing 777 Crashes @ SFO

It was sunny and nice today way before 11:30 am. Nothing to do with the weather.

Some local dude said he dipped low way short of the runway and pulled up hard which caused his tail to hit the water and took a hard bounce before skidding. Ugh.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Ride More, Whine Less

Boeing 777 Crashes @ SFO

Very sad to see. It could have been much worse. I'm certain there is video of the landing so time will tell what happened.

I'm your density
    About a dozen people in critical condition. All the best to the survivors.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    The runway in question (SFO 28L) begins at the seawall on SF Bay. The pilot was coming down at too high of a rate of decent (1400ft/min). He pulled up at the last moment and dipped the tail section into the bay, right at the seawall. Tail and horizontal stabilizers were stripped off and landed on the runway threshold. The entire back end of the aircraft, from the pressure bulkhead on back, broke off
    The impact blew the left engine off. It ended up between the two runways. The landing gear collapsed because of the high angle of attack and extreme rate of decent. The aircraft slip to the left and stopped between runway 28L and the taxiway.
    The fire came from the right engine, which broke off the wing and came to rest against the fuselage.

One of the most staggering things about this incident was the number of passengers that were carrying their luggage after exiting the aircraft. That indicates a complete lack of control by the attendants. Their job after an accident, is to get the passengers off, immediately. You do not stop and get your carry-on luggage out of the overhead compartments.

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Ride More, Whine Less
    ^ I heard an interview of a person on the plane during the incident. The crew, except for the pilots, were in the rear section that was separated. I'm not certain how many crew were left, and I'm certain they couldn't effectively manage 300 passengers.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    The runway in question (SFO 28L) begins at the seawall on SF Bay. The pilot was coming down at too high of a rate of decent (1400ft/min). He pulled up at the last moment and dipped the tail section into the bay, right at the seawall. Tail and horizontal stabilizers were stripped off and landed on the runway threshold. The entire back end of the aircraft, from the pressure bulkhead on back, broke off
    The impact blew the left engine off. It ended up between the two runways. The landing gear collapsed because of the high angle of attack and extreme rate of decent. The aircraft slip to the left and stopped between runway 28L and the taxiway.
    The fire came from the right engine, which broke off the wing and came to rest against the fuselage.

One of the most staggering things about this incident was the number of passengers that were carrying their luggage after exiting the aircraft. That indicates a complete lack of control by the attendants. Their job after an accident, is to get the passengers off, immediately. You do not stop and get your carry-on luggage out of the overhead compartments.
    Wow, Brew that's a lot of detailed info so early in the investigation.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Boeing 777 Crashes @ SFO

Didn't they all manage to get out before the fire started? I think the most stunning thing is thank god most of the people survived and that fuel tank was almost empty.

Yeah. Brew said it bettah. There's a lot of info because of survivors have been speaking, all the debris is basically located in open space in full view of helos, and experts have chimed in what they can see and interpret.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Being Asian myself - I KNOW how materialistic they can be. If there is any chance to grab their luggage...they will!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Boeing 777 Crashes @ SFO

Okay. That justifies the comment about them.

Although I would wonder if it is more cultural than racial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Wow, Brew that's a lot of detailed info so early in the investigation.
    I've been watching a lot of coverage. Aviation fascinates me. Aviation accidents are particularly interesting to me.
    A lot of this is somewhat common sense too.

This is somewhat local to me in that my home is under a flightpath to Sacramento International Airport. Sac International is one of the detour airports being used and I saw several jumbos fly overhead this afternoon that I would not normally see.

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Didn't they all manage to get out before the fire started? I think the most stunning thing is thank god most of the people survived and that fuel tank was almost empty.

Yeah. Brew said it bettah. There's a lot of info because of 1) survivors have been speaking 2) all the debris is basically located in open space in full view of helos and experts have chimed in what they can see and interpret and 3) eyewitnesses since it is only a few hundred feet from a major highway and in full view of nearby hotels.
    Many of the injured at the hospitals are burn victims, so no, they did not get out before the fire engulfed the fuselage.

Being Asian myself - I KNOW how materialistic they can be. If there is any chance to grab their luggage...they will!
    I seriously hate to stereotype people, but, yah, I was thinking the same thing.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    ^ I heard an interview of a person on the plane during the incident. The crew, except for the pilots, were in the rear section that was separated. I'm not certain how many crew were left, and I'm certain they couldn't effectively manage 300 passengers.
    I'm sure it's tough to manage any people in a panic situation

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Boeing 777 Crashes @ SFO

Many of the injured at the hospitals are burn victims, so no, they did not get out before the fire engulfed the fuselage.
    That's awful. I'll find out more tomorrow as I have friends and family that work at 3 of those hospitals.

Thanks for the update.

mtbr member

Boeing 777 Crashes @ SFO

The runway in question (SFO 28L) begins at the seawall on SF Bay. The pilot was coming down at too high of a rate of decent (1400ft/min). He pulled up at the last moment and dipped the tail section into the bay, right at the seawall...
    Errmmm while someday this may end up being factual, let's hold off on speculation. Leave that to the idiots on the talking tubes.

Unless you've somehow managed to download the FDR data & reviewed it the 1,400' decent rate claim is bogus. And no, Flightaware data doesn't count.

I'll give the crew the benefit of the doubt until the investigation is done. Kudos to them for getting everyone out so quick.
    Last edited by bike21; 07-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Smells a lot like the Korean Air 801 crash on Guam some years back. Under altitude approach, but in that case the plane met a mountain ridge 3 mi out from the runway. Very few survivors. Traced to willfully defying the warning buzzers to not countermand the captain.

That said, looks like an unforgiving flight deck approach...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

No Stranger to danger....
    I blame muslim terrorists...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

AZ
    banned
    The same ones that shot down flight 800?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast