Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Bleeding nose

  1. #1
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626

    Bleeding nose

    Have you ever had a nose bleed so bad that people think you are going to die?

    At the MSP airport, my nose started to bleed like I was going to die. It happened while washing my face in the bathroom. Within seconds, the sink bowl was red like a horror movie scene. There were no paper towels close and my hands were wet, so the blood covered my hands and arms. It really wasn't that much blood, but it was a scene.

    The bleeding wouldn't stop, though. I decide I have to go to the towel dispenser to get the blood bath under control. I time things to avoid dripping all over the floor. Four paper towels later, I survey the damage. A security guard is ready to call ems but I calmly say it is just a nose bleed. He asks if he can help. I ask when the sink will be cleaned. He says soon so I clean it up with soap and water the best I can and move on.

    The sad thing is this was not an uncommon scene. I've had an ER visit on account of a bleeding nose. For a moment today, I thought this might be a second trip. One of my sons has a nose that does the same thing. We don't have a clotting deficiency, but days like this are interesting.

    #iblamethedryPhoenixair

  2. #2
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,776
    Must be the dry air?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    I had one on a day hike last year. I was putting on sunblock and rubbed my nose too hard, and BAM -- blood flowing and dribbling everywhere. All over the sidewalk, it looked like someone had been shot. I've had nosebleeds before that quit fairly quickly, so I grabbed some napkins from the car and we headed out.

    It was 90 F and the sweat was making the flow even worse. It took about 2 miles before it stopped, but I had to leave half a dozen blood-soaked napkin wads half-buried along the trail. I did pick them all up on the way back. It took about a third of my camelbak water to rinse my hands off.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,817
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Have you ever had a nose bleed so bad that people think you are going to die?

    At the MSP airport, my nose started to bleed like I was going to die. It happened while washing my face in the bathroom. Within seconds, the sink bowl was red like a horror movie scene. There were no paper towels close and my hands were wet, so the blood covered my hands and arms. It really wasn't that much blood, but it was a scene.

    The bleeding wouldn't stop, though. I decide I have to go to the towel dispenser to get the blood bath under control. I time things to avoid dripping all over the floor. Four paper towels later, I survey the damage. A security guard is ready to call ems but I calmly say it is just a nose bleed. He asks if he can help. I ask when the sink will be cleaned. He says soon so I clean it up with soap and water the best I can and move on.

    The sad thing is this was not an uncommon scene. I've had an ER visit on account of a bleeding nose. For a moment today, I thought this might be a second trip. One of my sons has a nose that does the same thing. We don't have a clotting deficiency, but days like this are interesting.

    #iblamethedryPhoenixair
    I've seen a nose bleed to the point an ER visit and cauterization was needed.

    I've been gettin' them lately with our Santa Ana's out here.

    Or maybe I need to trim my fingernails.

  5. #5
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626

    Bleeding nose

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I've seen a nose bleed to the point an ER visit and cauterization was needed.

    I've been gettin' them lately with our Santa Ana's out here.

    Or maybe I need to trim my fingernails.
    Fingernails are indeed like knives. They weren't my cause today but it has happened in the past.

  6. #6
    So Stoked!
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,932
    Too bad you don't carry tampons... than you could MacGyver it
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Too bad you don't carry tampons... than you could MacGyver it
    "Hey, if I pull this string will your head go off like a party popper?"

    Actually my FAK has a few feminine pads.

  8. #8
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626

    Bleeding nose

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Too bad you don't carry tampons... than you could MacGyver it
    yes, I suppose I could have run into the women's bathroom with two quarters showing while asking for assistance. That surely would have ended well

  9. #9
    cereal killer
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,043
    Did you say you were at the Dallas/FW airport?
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

  10. #10
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626

    Bleeding nose

    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Did you say you were at the Dallas/FW airport?
    Interestingly enough, there were three sinks. I was on the left one. The far right one had a line and the one in the middle remained as dry as the Arizona air. I saw one parent scoop his child to keep them away from me....the walking Ebola factory.

    PSA --don't assume airport sinks and counters are clean.

  11. #11
    MTB, Road, Commuting
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,428
    I had one start during a winter ride and didn't realize it until I got inside and had a bloodcicle coming out my face mask. Too cool not to take a picture of. It couldn't have been going on too long but long enough to freeze.
    Bleeding nose-bloodcicle.jpg

  12. #12
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    23,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Must be the dry air?
    Yes Heyyall the dry climate does that. When I was a kid in Colorado I got bloody noses all the time. Moved to San Diego and never a problem. Back in Colorado and I'm getting them again.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  13. #13
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626

    Bleeding nose

    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes Heyyall the dry climate does that. When I was a kid in Colorado I got bloody noses all the time. Moved to San Diego and never a problem. Back in Colorado and I'm getting them again.
    We have a humidifier that makes life possible in our house. The desert and airplane were too much.

  14. #14
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    23,336
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    We have a humidifier that makes life possible in our house. The desert and airplane were too much.
    Sorry I was looking at some yoga pants. What were you saying again?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes Heyyall the dry climate does that. When I was a kid in Colorado I got bloody noses all the time. Moved to San Diego and never a problem. Back in Colorado and I'm getting them again.
    You can almost set your watch by me having a nosebleed after a trip to the Sierras.

  16. #16
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    23,336
    Here ya go Heyyall.


    Average relative humidity (%) for the least humid US cities
    City Humidity
    Las Vegas, Nevada 30.3
    Phoenix, Arizona 36.6
    Denver, Colorado 52.0
    Salt Lake City, Utah 55.3
    New York, New York 63.0
    Washington, DC 64.3
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 64.9
    Dallas, Texas 65.4
    Baltimore, Maryland 65.8
    Hartford, Connecticut
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  17. #17
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626
    I grew up around Charleston which had an average daily humidity of 73%. Rochester is about 80%.

  18. #18
    El Gato Malo
    Reputation: Wishful Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post

    The bleeding wouldn't stop, though. I decide I have to go to the towel dispenser to get the blood bath under control. I time things to avoid dripping all over the floor. Four paper towels later, I survey the damage. A security guard is ready to call ems but I calmly say it is just a nose bleed. He asks if he can help. I ask when the sink will be cleaned. He says soon so I clean it up with soap and water the best I can and move on.
    No selfie?

  19. #19
    cereal killer
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,043
    DJ, why is Hartford, Connecticut so high-and-mighty that they refuse to publicly state their average relative humidity (in percentage) like the other nine cites on the chart do?
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    #iblamethedryPhoenixair
    Sounds suspicious...


  21. #21
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,626

    Bleeding nose

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    No selfie?
    No.

    There is always next time.

  22. #22
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    23,336
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    DJ, why is Hartford, Connecticut so high-and-mighty that they refuse to publicly state their average relative humidity (in percentage) like the other nine cites on the chart do?
    Things that make you go hmmmm.

    I didn't create the chart but i'll do my best to locate it's author and give him the 3rd degree.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  23. #23
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,081
    Nose bleed you will die from is a real thing. When blood is hosing out both nostrils a centimetre wide, painting the far wall and when stopping it by hand makes you drown in your own blood, that is what a bad nose bleed can be like. Scary to see, frightening to help with and no wonder the Poms have historically used diamorph (heroin) as part of the treatment. Blood dripping into the airport handbasin - that's just a businessman overdoing the gideeup before flying home.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zomby Woof (MCM700)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    664
    I get nose bleeds sometimes. And this was in the summer time so I didn't have that inter dryness. I remember one time at work I was just walking along and suddenly it started to bleed. I hadn't even had any of my usual big sneezes. I whipped out a handkerchief and went to the bathroom. Plenty of paper towel there. I did get it under control. I also had a nice bloodstain on my shirt. So I soaked up paper towels with cold water and started dabbing my shirt. I was actually able to clean all the blood off. Then I dried the shirt the best I could with paper towel and went back to work.

  25. #25
    mischeivous mongrel
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,214
    heyyall, it's been at least 18 hours now, has the bleeding stopped yet?
    Baby Gorns for sale $3799 each. Inquire within.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First FS - tips for keeping the nose up?
    By Seventh-777 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 08:27 PM
  2. rotting nose pad
    By thomllama in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
  3. Bike nose dives
    By CyclesnIPAs in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 12:07 AM
  4. Drop nose saddle.
    By Gary H in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 06:13 AM
  5. Nose running
    By MelvinoelGreat in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Can't find it? Just search our site!