Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado

Cool-blue Rhythm The Bird SHACK"

This could be a long one but stick with me.
    My background I lived in upstate N.Y. as a kid until age 14. I then moved to Colorado and was there for a number of years. In my mid twenty's I moved to San Diego California where I stayed for 25 years. Well a little over a year ago I moved back to Colorado.

My background has to do with this story. Very shortly after moving back to Colorado I started hearing a familiar bird squawking. I immediately recognized the squawk from my early childhood and camping in the Adirondack mountain's in upstate N.Y. I was like what the hell' that's an Eastern Blue Jay. They are not a bird found in Colorado so I was dumbfounded. The Colorado and western states have the Steller Jay. Which is all blue with a black crested head. The Eastern Blue Jay has white markings and much more attractive. And has a distinctive squawk and much smarter and more illusive. Many times you hear them squawk but never see them. They stay high in the trees.

Anyway when I first heard the familiar squawking I was at my parents house. I turned and said "that's an,Eastern Blue Jay mom and dad". "The kind we saw in N.Y. all the time. "They aren't this far west but mainly in the east". My parents both said "we see them all the time". Me, "no, you see the Stellar Jay around here, the Eastern Bue Jay isn't here". They argued saying they see both species of Jay's and have for some time. I knew from years earlier when living in Colorado only the Stellar Jay was found here, which is a much different bird in looks and sound.

So being way intrigued I grabbed the binoculars and headed out towards the familiar squawking sound. After some intense stalking and at least a half hour of trying to locate this illusive awesome bird. I finally got a glimpse of him. Holy crap I confirmed my suspicion. My eyes were locked on to an Eastern Blue Jay. "No way" "they were never here before. So I grabbed my trusted cell phone and googled Eastern Blue Jays in Colorado. Sure enough an article popped up saying the Eastern Blue Jay has slowly over the years moved west. Some small pockets have been reported in northern and eastern Colorado. I must be in a big pocket because since I moved back a little over a year ago I hear them every day. And see them periodically. Like I said they are often heard more than seen.

This whole experience brought back fond memories of my childhood camping in the Adirondacks in upstate N.Y. where this bird is everywhere. It also is ironic because my mom said she named me after this loud bird.....Jay. Apparently I was a loud infant. And as I recently experienced seeing this bird and talking to my mom about it. She unexpectedly passed away six weeks after I moved back. So I now have that fond memory of her. Just last week I found an Eastern Blue Jay feather in the yard and kept it in her memory. I attached it to a framed photo of her and I together. Abybody else have any bird story's feel free to post them up. Here is a link to the Eastern Blue Jay which I now wake up to the squawking every weekend morning.

Blue Jays (Cyanocitta cristata) - North American, blue-plumaged birds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Bird Thread...-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-08-2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Freedom of speech.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I eat cats
    That's a rad story! Good vibes to you.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Yup--a good story Jay.
    They are all over here and play games with the dogs and antagonize the other birds at the bird feeders. I remember them as far back as possible as a child.
    part of the landscape.
    As aggressive as they are; there are times when they will munch seed on the ground along with doves, cardinals, finches, sparrows and chickadees.
    They are handsome birds and noisy--just as you say.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom, but glad that you have fine memories.
    Best to ya.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Yup--a good story Jay.
    They are all over here and play games with the dogs and antagonize the other birds at the bird feeders. I remember them as far back as possible as a child.
    part of the landscape.
    As aggressive as they are; there are times when they will munch seed on the ground along with doves, cardinals, finches, sparrows and chickadees.
    They are handsome birds and noisy--just as you say.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom, but glad that you have fine memories.
    Best to ya.
    Thanks Tude and OCtrailmonkey and Highdell well.....
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

I didn't do it
    Dang DJ, that story took me by surprise. Pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thanks Tude and OCtrailmonkey and Highdell well.....
    it IS 'the bird' thread, no?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    it IS 'the bird' thread, no?
    Yes Highdell I got the joke and you get a for it. After all this is the O.C. and I'm as bad as the next guy that way.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes Highdell I got the joke and you get a for it. After all this is the O.C. and I'm as bad as the next guy that way.
    I will post a bird story that just happened (yesterday) where I live (Redding,CA)

Bald eagle nursed back to health and released at the Sundial Bridge | Local News - Home

As to why they released here here in Redding vs. where she was hit (had a nest) - about 50 miles away is kind of head scratching... The only thing I can think of is that we have more people and that = more fanfare. Plus our 'sundial bridge' (also a fanfare) is in the same area as the local news 7 (1500' away ?)
    Last edited by highdelll; 08-31-2013 at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member
    I like that kind of cynicism.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

official eMpTyBRain
    DJ, we also have the Scrub Jay out West. I'm sure you remember them from living in So Cal? Noisy 'lil bastages, lower elevation thrivers.

Did I understand it right that your Mom passed away shortly after you moved back to CO? If so, I am terribly sorry to hear that. Truly.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good one DJ. I love to bird watch, and when I'm camping I spend a lot of time with a pair of binos sitting at
    our camp site looking for birds and wildlife.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    DJ, we also have the Scrub Jay out West. I'm sure you remember them from living in So Cal? Noisy 'lil bastages, lower elevation thrivers.

Did I understand it right that your Mom passed away shortly after you moved back to CO? If so, I
    am terribly sorry to hear that. Truly.
    Hawg first off thank-you and everyone for recognizing my mom's passing. She was terrably sick for over a year but kept on trucking. The doctors never diagnosed her correctly. So for all that time she was miserable.

One night she threw up blood and my dad took her to emergency. She never came out. She was finally diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. Her
    diagnosis came back after two days in and the very
    next day she passed away. Luckily my whole family
    flew in from around the country and we were all at
    her bedside as she passed. A very quick and unexpected tough time for the family.

I Don.t want this thread to go in that direction, she
    just happened to ne a very important part of that
    bird story.

Yes I remember the Scrub Jay in Southern Cal. and
    as most Jay's they are loud and quite similar
    looking to the Eastern Blue Jay without the crest on the head.scrub jay
    photos - Google Search

But here in Colorado at higher elevation we have the Gray Jay. Another very loud and intruding bird.
    If you go up to Rocky Mountain National Park
    [which is right up the road from me] they feed
    right out if your hand. They compete with
    Chipmunks who akso feed out of your hand. They take advantage of the high volume of tourists. I
    googled for images of the Gray Jay and happened on this video which looked very familiar. Grey Jay likes apples - YouTube
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    I still occasionally use the term "naked as a Jay bird".

official eMpTyBRain
    Anyone ever seen a Gooney Bird? They make a distinctive sound that sounds like they are shouting the word "WALK".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Bird Thread...-dscn2435.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anyone ever seen a Gooney Bird?
    Yeah, Tones posted in the 'Avatar/Face ' thread right?

Sorry, I just OC'ed in this thread.

Great Thread / Good read DJ. I'm always pointing out birds to the fam when were out or driving around. I need a good zoom lens for my Canon, We have lots of white ergets that root in a tree right downtown. About 30 of them are in it every night.
    Fishing at dusk, you'll see them fly in one by one. It's curious that almost the 300 people around never see them above. Just oblivious to their surroundings. I don't want my son to be like that so I'm constantly bugging him to look up from his video games.

Front Range, Colorado
    Thanks Fishbucket and yes I remember in So. Cal. White ergret being very common. I used to jet ski at a mountain lake every weekend. There was a White Egret nest high up in a eucalyptus tree right next to our beach. I watched every weekend as the baby's got bigger and bigger. One weekend I showed up and the 3 babys were outside the nest flapping their wings. By the end of the day I watched them take their first wobbly flight. They were already almost as big as the parents. A very cool experience.

Alright back to Hawgs Gooney Bird picture. That's not a Gooney Bird but rather some type of Stork. Here is a Gooney bird sound and everything. gooney bird area - Google Search
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    I dig birds, they have the ultimate gift from evolution: Flight

I've raised baby Sparrows and Mocking Birds. We've had parakeets (have one right now!) and I had a mated pair of Lovebirds when I was a kid. I once rescued a large Great Horned Owl from sure death since it couldn't fly. My Grandfather (R.I.P.) happened upon a Kestrel that had been wounded. He attempted to pick it up and it locked onto his wrist causing serious wounds and bleeding. I've seen Ospreys grab fish from the surface of a lake many times and I've seen our majestic Bald Eagles perched high atop the forest trees overlooking Big Bear Lake, CA. I've seen the massive and nearly extinct California Condor soaring over Lake Pyramid, CA. I've had the joy of watching nesting birds hatch and raise their young in the wild and in captivity over and over again. I have hand fed Blue Herons the small fish I caught at Balboa Lake, CA. The joyful experiences go on and on.

No Stranger to danger....
    Great story DJ, i really enjoyed that mate, birds are great, but some people have a morbid fear of them for some reason, but i like you love birds.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Front Range, Colorado
    I dig birds, they have the ultimate gift from evolution: Flight

I've raised baby Sparrows and Mocking Birds. We've had parakeets (have one right now!) and I had a mated pair of Lovebirds when I was a kid. I once rescued a large Great Horned Owl from sure death since it couldn't fly. My Grandfather (R.I.P.)
    happened upon a Kestrel that had been wounded.
    He attempted to pick it up and it locked onto his
    wrist causing serious wounds and bleeding. I've
    seen Ospreys grab fish from the surface of a lake
    many times and I've seen our majestic Bald Eagles
    perched high atop the forest trees overlooking Big
    Bear Lake, CA. I've seen the massive and nearly
    extinct California Condor soaring over Lake
    Pyramid, CA. I've had the joy of watching nesting
    birds hatch and raise their young in the wild and
    in captivity over and over again. I have hand fed
    Blue Herons the small fish I caught at Balboa Lake,
    CA. The joyful experiences go on and on.

Wow Hawg great write up. And we have shared
    many of the same or similar experience's. I also
    have seen the Bald Eagles at Big Bear Lake. We
    recently just a couple months ago just a half mile
    from my house witnessed a pair of Bald Eagles
    frequenting a large tree in a pasture. They were
    there for a couple weeks. I never found the nest.

I was with my dad one tme and I was visiting Colorado.We were out on a lake fishing and he asked if I would like to see an Osprey nest. Of course I resresponded, so we jetted across the lake. We get to the other side and sure enough way up at the top was an Osprey sitting on her nest. Low and behold I catch a glimpse of something a 100' to my left. And there at the top of another tree was a Bald Eagle. A way cool experience to see both at once. Glad we had binoculars.

I've seen Goden Eagles on several occasions in So. Cal. and Colorado. All sightings were from far away except one. We were drivining up to Steamboat Springs to go snow skiing. When out in the middle of nowhere there was a Golden Eagle sitting on a fence post just 30' from the shoulder. I demanded my sister to stop. We stopped rihht next to him. He was huge much bigger than a Bald Eagle with bright yellow feet. We got watch him for about a minute before he took flight.

I was hunting dove one time in Colorado. I was walking quietly through two lines of trees about 30 ' apart. When a Great Horned Owl swooped down directly in front of me. Heading straight at me. Holy **** I froze as this giant owl came straight for me. He veered ever so slightly to my right and just missed me within a foot to my right at waist level. I could have reached out and touched him. I felt the rush of air as she passed. They are the only bird that flys silently. Something about their feathers that make zero noise from the wind going through.
    OBiously a female protecting her young. Although
    it was the wrong time of year for babys. I don't know but she scared the crap out
    of me. They are the largest owl with a 4' 5' wing
    span.

Speaking of owls as a kid in upstate N.Y. I
    was with my uncle and I was about 13 or 14. We
    went way up north with miles and miles of snow
    covered farm land. About 100' off the road sat a
    large pure white Snowy Owl on a fence post.
    Awesome sight and never again have I seen
    another one. I could go on and on. This thread got
    me thinking how many great bird encounters I've
    had. More memories to come in future posts.
    Sometimes it sucks being 51 but age does have it's
    experiences.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-01-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Got reminded I had an encounter with one of those egrets while fishing one day, I was flipping it some anchovies I had for bait.

Didnt quite get it to take out of my hand, though he was get closer and closer.

I eat cats
    I still occasionally use the term "naked as a Jay bird".
    Lol... my dad used to use this term, still does. I find myself using it these days too.

Front Range, Colorado
    Fishbucket those are some great shots and actually pretty funny. You can tell he's not quite trusting enough to take it out of your hand. He has that "look"

Reminds me of when I would make a weekly trip making a delivery out at the end of San Clemente Pier. Every time the same Grey Pelican would be protecting his pole about at the half way mark on the pier. I got to the point where I would get some bait fish off the fisherman on the pier just to feed him. I never could grt him to feed out of my hand but within 5 feet. Another cool bird. I loved to watch the Grey Pelicans flying parallel to the beach. Just a foot or so from the surface in the curl of a wave. Apparently they are scanning for schooling fish.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    DJ, those are Brown Pelicans. That's what type we have here in Cali and I believe that they are now listed as Threatened. I have seen the White Pelicans seasonally migrating through which is quite a sight.

Front Range, Colorado
    DJ, those are Brown Pelicans. That's what type we have here in Cali and I believe that they are now listed as Threatened. I have seen the White Pelicans seasonally migrating through which is quite a sight.
    Hawg I would have to sadly say your right. They are Brown Pelicans I don't know where I go grey from. But it's hard to believe they are a threatened species, as you know they are everywhere up and down the So. Cal coast. Protected maybe as a key player in the eco system. The White Pelicans are pretty common in Colorado. They are all white with black tipped wings. A very cool bird to watch. I have seen them in California in large flocks flying but never landed and hanging out. They must migrate through.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast