Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

bike wrecked, what would you do?

I was riding a couple of hours from home a month ago, and decided i needed to get the oil changed in my wife's car, which i was driving at the time, when i got done.

I pulled up to the oil change place, and noticed the garage doors weren't all the way up. I got out of the car, and said, let me take my bike off the top of the car before i give it to you guys. The worker assured me that they would raise the door up so my bike wouldn't hit it. I argued with him for a minute, but he insisted, so i gave them the keys.

I grabbed a magazine and sat down in the lobby. A few minutes later i heard a loud crash and looked up just in time to see my mountain bike and rack bouncing thru the garage. After all that, they drove my bike right thru the garage door, and it tore my bike off the car, rack and all.

The wheel tray was snapped in half, and the break levers are smashed up. I took it too my LBS, and they said no way i should be riding that bike, especially with our rougher trails. They advised me to go after a new bike, as if a weld cracks or opens up later on, there will be nothing i can do about it, if i don't jump on this right away.

The oil change place's insurance adjuster wants estimates on getting the bike fixed. My LBS made the price of getting the bike fixed the same as a new bike and rack. Now the insurance adjuster wants a second estimate. Hopefully I can find another bike shop who will sympathize with me and write me up an estimate for replacement/repair that will get me back in the saddle.

I'm not sure where to go for this, i'm not sure who will give me an estimate, knowing they won't get the sale, as i'm pretty loyal to my LBS.

I don't want to be mean about this, but i did tell the guy multiple times to not drive my car into the garage w/out raising the door the rest of the way. And i don't want to be stuck with a cracked frame later on down the line, and be forced to buy a new frame/bike.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Screw the adjuster. You are entightled to be made whole. A new bike and rack is the only way to do that, thatís what they need to do. Donít accept anything less. Did the dumbass who told you heíd raise the door get fired for not doing so?
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    No way man! The great Vans debate of 18 was epic!

mtbr member
    Agreed. Adjuster will come out and say well, you have ridden it so it's not new any more.... And so on. If you have to get a second opinion from another LBS tell them the story and I'm sure they will agree with the first shop.

nimble biker
    can you force the shop to compensate for rack and bike?

Cycologist
    Agree with the above. Show them that the LBS said the bike is not safe to ride. Ask them if they want to be on the hook for when the bike breaks and you are seriously injured, but make it clear that you are not willing to take that risk. Actually, I'd get the second estimate and present that first.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

That guy
    Go to a couple LBSs if you have that option in your area. I'm sure if you tell them that the insurance adjuster wants another estimate they'll understand and be on your side and help you out.
    American Idle

Am I the only one who lost his temper in this thread? First off the idiot that pulled the vehicle in without opening the door like he said he would do, needs his ass kicked. Secondly the adjuster is trying to get away as cheap as possible. Which is his job, but the victim needs to be made whole. Deerhill, you are entightled to second and third opinions. Even asking for another adjuster is not unheard of.

mtbr member
    Tell the adjuster that you also expect to be compensated for negligence.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Am I the only one who lost his temper in this thread?
    Not at all. OP did right by going after the oil change shop's insurance company for this one. Oil change shop's adjuster is being a slimy f*cker trying to weasel his way out of straight replacing everything. I doubt OP is going to have any trouble with the bike shop side of things. Pretty much every shop I've had experience with on this sort of thing (some where I've worked, and some where I was just the customer) would err on the side of caution and "total" the bike.

I won't patronize those shitty oil change places anymore, anyway. I had one do my state inspection in Texas once, and I'm fairly certain they did not reinstall my brake caliper correctly after checking the pads. I had a clunk that I couldn't figure out for the longest time. When I finally found it, I saw that of the two bolts that held the caliper onto the car, one was missing entirely and the other one had almost fallen out. Unfortunately, the clunk was so erratic that it took several months to find it, and by that point, I had no no way to prove that the oil change shop f*cked it up, even though they were the only place to touch my brakes in a couple years.

One of those oil change places didn't correctly tighten the oil plug on my wife's car once, and my wife probably never would have noticed and destroyed her car if I hadn't caught it.

I had another place (not an oil change specific place, but rather a more full service shop) put the wrong fluid in my transmission and then wanted to charge me for a transmission rebuild because I couldn't shift out of 1st gear. Went to a second shop who told me the same bullshit. Local dealer correctly diagnosed the problem, and then billed the original shop who f*cked that one up.

Dealers may cost more, but none of them has outright screwed me over.

mtbr member
    What a bunch of aholes!

Sorry OP! Just get the 2nd LBS a 12pk for the estimate.

Or lawyer up..if worth it. Did your car get damaged?
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Well, you won't be getting your oil changed at that shop again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes, the car is damaged, pretty badly scratched. My attorney feels like this would be easy for him. I just wanted to make sure I was not alone in feeling like they needed to replace the bike and rack and paint the car.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller View Post
    Yes, the car is damaged, pretty badly scratched. My attorney feels like this would be easy for him. I just wanted to make sure I was not alone in feeling like they needed to replace the bike and rack and paint the car.
    Yeah, as Djim said, you need to made whole. Don't shirk your duty. Think of the children.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Clearly the adjuster thinks you're stupid. I have no patience with those douchebags that play the game like that. You could just as easily have your insurance subrogate the claim and tell the adjuster to never speak to you again because he insults your intelligence but if you already have a line on an attorney, GO FOR IT! Negligence on their part is the entire cause for your claim. You should come out of this with a totally cherried-out car, a new top of the line roof rack, and a shiny new carbon XYZ bike with an XTR level build. Hopefully your attorney is a total dick and knows what he's doing. Turn him loose.

mtbr member
    No offense but that's why I don't go to oil lube shops. My friends work there and I know how bright they are....

That guy
    OMS! referenced "Spidey Sense" a while back. I think the OP shoulda trusted his and took the bike off.

I hope it all works out OP!
    American Idle

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    No offense but that's why I don't go to oil lube shops. My friends work there and I know how bright they are....
    So many stories out there! Hell, even a guy I know well was a wrench at one of those places Jippy Lube, as we call it. Put the wrong oil filter on a clients new Jeep Grand Cherokee. First oil change or something like that...it was a new rig. Pressure builds up, oil blows out the filter under the car, car just quits on the freeway shortly after the change appt. SMOKED the motor! So many loose/missing oil plug stories, or missed refills. Now, a bike through the roll-up door is added to the list!

A big cup full of NOPE for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    OMS! referenced "Spidey Sense" a while back. I think the OP shoulda trusted his and took the bike off.

I hope it all works out OP!
    I've noticed that you have latched on to that Spidey Sense remark. My Spidey Senses told me you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    So many stories out there! Hell, even a guy I know well was a wrench at one of those places Jippy Lube, as we call it. Put the wrong oil filter on a clients new Jeep Grand Cherokee. First oil change or something like that...it was a new rig. Pressure builds up, oil blows out the filter under the car, car just quits on the freeway shortly after the change appt. SMOKED the motor! So many loose/missing oil plug stories, or missed refills. Now, a bike through the roll-up door is added to the list!

A big cup full of NOPE for me.
    A buddy of mine worked at one in high school and he said a guy he worked with didn't tighten a drain plug, just as Harold said happened to his wife. Only this customer didn't notice and all the oil blew out and he ceased his motor. I don't think he lasted very much longer after that. Jippy Lube it was.

Cycologist
    I said it in an earlier thread, I quit taking mine anywhere to get the oil changed after they left the crush washer off my wife's car, causing it to drip oil. This gave a dealership who was looking at something else a chance to tell me the oil pan was stripped and would have to be replaced. I crawled under it and found the threads were fine, just the missing washer. So now I do all my own oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I said it in an earlier thread, I quit taking mine anywhere to get the oil changed after they left the crush washer off my wife's car, causing it to drip oil. This gave a dealership who was looking at something else a chance to tell me the oil pan was stripped and would have to be replaced. I crawled under it and found the threads were fine, just the missing washer. So now I do all my own oil changes.
    I faintly remember you telling that. The dealership told you the pan drain plug threads were stripped? So they were trying to rip you off for a new pan?

That guy
    I've noticed that you have latched on to that Spidey Sense remark. My Spidey Senses told me you would.
    Just giving a shout-out, and pointing out that it's real! I'm trusting it from now on.

*I watched Unbreakable last weekend*
    American Idle

Cycologist
    I faintly remember you telling that. The dealership told you the pan drain plug threads were stripped? So they were trying to rip you off for a new pan?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Just giving a shout-out, and pointing out that it's real! I'm trusting it from now on.

*I watched Unbreakable last weekend*
    Of course it's real. It's a mans intuition.

Unbreakable?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on DJ's post #7. Oil change places suck. I wouldn't go to one
    even if it was free.

Maaaaan
    I'd sue the owner of the bike for criminal negligence.
    He never should have let an oil change place do it in the first place.
    Oil change places are all crooks and don't put in that high priced oil you pay for anyhow.
    Then comes the stripped drain plugs, wrong oil levels, cheep filters etc.
    I know all this from doing my own car work and talking to people that used to work at oil change places and shops.

If you'd like OP, I'll gladly be an expert witness in the trial against yourself.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    I would have removed the bike myself, to avoid ANY excuses from the dude at the oil place.

This is why my bikes go from home to the trail, and back. If I'm hungry drive thru will do.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Shouldn't it be full compensation for the replacement value of both items, in addition to any vehicle repairs? Have you contacted your own agent/company?
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I would have removed the bike myself, to avoid ANY excuses from the dude at the oil place.

This is why my bikes go from home to the trail, and back. If I'm hungry drive thru will do.
    Hindsight is 20/20. This is where following ones Spidey Senses comes into play.

mtbr member
    Hindsight is 20/20. This is where following ones Spidey Senses comes into play.
    True!

Either way he needs to be compensated for all the damages.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Meatbomb
    My buddies son works for Jiffy Lube. He has down syndrome. Just saying.

passed out in your garden
    how did the oil change go?
    always mad and usually drunk......

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    True!

Either way he needs to be compensated for all the damages.
    Agreed, and not a repaired bike but a new one. As stated who's to say that the frame wasn't compromised but not visible to the naked eye.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    LOL
    His drain plug hasn't worked its way free [i think] if that's what you're asking.

Co Springs
    I see the car was damaged. That was my first thought because an estimate to have everything taken care of could be half again as much or more than just the bike and rack.

Take your time on this so the legal stuff gets fine tuned, nothing over-looked. Often times, the settlement side wants to rush through it.

Sorry for your loss and of course, to hear the grease monks finding alternate ways to screw up ANYTHING they touch.

** Medical disclosure-

Rent a bike and keep riding, turn in your receipts and paperwork for that. You are under Dr orders to stay fit and exercise as part of your emotional recovery from the bike loss and physical well-being ... ... RIGHT ?

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

^ Nothing wrong with working a different angle.

My other ride
    Rent a bike, and charge the insurance company for the cost of the rented bike. Make sure the car gets fully inspected for damage, charge the insurance for that. Eventually, they will get the hint that it is cheaper to do it right, right now, instead of dragging it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What would I do? I'd get a new bike....I'd always get a new bike......I might just go get a new bike now, just in case.....hey

I'm getting a new bike

gone walk about
    Am I the only one who lost his temper in this thread? First off the idiot that pulled the vehicle in without opening the door like he said he would do, needs his ass kicked. Secondly the adjuster is trying to get away as cheap as possible. Which is his job, but the victim needs to be made whole. Deerhill, you are entightled to second and third opinions. Even asking for another adjuster is not unheard of.
    no damn it your not for fawks sake

I would have some asses over this debacle.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I see the car was damaged. That was my first thought because an estimate to have everything taken care of could be half again as much or more than just the bike and rack.

Take your time on this so the legal stuff gets fine tuned, nothing over-looked. Often times, the settlement side wants to rush through it.

Sorry for your loss and of course, to hear the grease monks finding alternate ways to screw up ANYTHING they touch.

** Medical disclosure-

Rent a bike and keep riding, turn in your receipts and paperwork for that. You are under Dr orders to stay fit and exercise as part of your emotional recovery from the bike loss and physical well-being ... ... RIGHT ?

oh me likey this avenue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'd rather drive my truck into a river than take it to one of these oil change joints.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I'd rather drive my truck into a river than take it to one of these oil change joints.
    Yeah but,

you'd change the oil first right ?

I haven't dealt with one of those in a long, long time and when I did, I watched them like a hawk.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    MIL had a new Omni, first oil change the dealership left out the plug. She didn't make it home before the engine seized.

They blamed her, said she must have tinkered with it, and drug it out for months. She finally snapped, had the car towed to the dealership, had her husband and son push the car against the building to block the front entrance, and put a large sign inside the car letting the owner and customers know they could drive the piece of shit off a cliff a cliff. Got a nasty call Monday morning, she told them to go impregnate themselves and never call her again.

Lawyer got her down payment and the monthlies she had paid a few months later. It was over.

NOPE! Later that year, her loan went into collections. The dealer never bothered to resolve the finances, and she had to deal with them all over again, and also the hit on her credit.

OP: Ensure the second estimate is always higher than the first, no matter what the insured product was. This generally shuts the adjuster down. In cases where an adjuster doesn't ask for multiple estimates, I go back to the shop I want to repair or replace the item (which is always my first estimate), and have them produce a second, more expensive estimate, because, you know, mistakes are easily made, and asshole adjusters are going to get screwed by me for screwing with me.

For the higher estimate, go to a shop that does not carry the brand you ride.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The insurance company is just trying not to pay out.

Go find the most expensive shop in town and get a quote. Make sure it's higher than the existing one.

Eff em!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    How are you getting on with this?

The guys are right, these quick-fit places are a nightmare. We've all got horror stories, I know loads. Don't mess about, get your lawyer on it. Only settle for a new bike, new rack and full repairs to the car. Anything less and you're getting shafted.

And find a local garage that you can trust for your car work. They are hard to find but they do exist.

Will crash for rim brakes
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

The guys are right, these quick-fit places are a nightmare. We've all got horror stories, I know loads. Don't mess about, get your lawyer on it. Only settle for a new bike, new rack and full repairs to the car. Anything less and you're getting shafted.

And find a local garage that you can trust for your car work. They are hard to find but they do exist.
    One other thing, not only will a real auto shop do the car work better (although not always perfect), they are not trying to sell you crap oil that doesn't help your engine life much. Synthetic oil is more expensive, but I have 275,000 miles on my car, engine is still running great. I highly doubt the car would even be running now if I went all those times to a Jiffy Lube for a 5000 mile oil change and got organic cheap oil. A full synthetic oil change is usually $50-80, a lot more expensive, but your engine if treated well it will basically last forever.
    "If my songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold, then I'll ask the final question, if the answer could be sold"

I agree with all and for what garage to pick and another's insurance I always insist on the brand vehicles dealer body shop. If they need to replace anything it's always a certified part and not a generic part.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Mobil 1 Full Syn. 5 qt container @ Walmart - $23. Wix mfg'd oil filter from auto parts store - $6. 20 minutes of your time. Done.

One ring to mash them all
    Mobil 1 Full Syn. 5 qt container @ Walmart - $23. Wix mfg'd oil filter from auto parts store - $6. 20 minutes of your time. Done.
    I agree with you 99%, but perhaps you've never had the pleasure of changing the oil on a Toyota 3VZ-E engine. Filter is mounted so as soon as you begin to unscrew it oil runs out and down the side of the block and onto everything beneath it (differential, skid plate, etc.). So the change itself is 20 min. but cleanup is like 60
    Į\(į_o)/Į

Yep, same here but I use the Mobile One 15K. mile full synthetic and I also get it from Walmart. The extra mileage is worth it to me for an extra $10. Even though I don't go 15K. but between 3K. & 4K, between oil changes.

Cycologist
    My wife's Forester came with synthetic; I was surprised at how cheap it is to buy as I had always heard how much more expensive synthetic changes were. I buy the Subaru filters in six packs. Subaru almost made it too easy, the filter is right on top.

bike wrecked, what would you do?-oil_filter.jpg

My wife's Forester came with synthetic; I was surprised at how cheap it is to buy as I had always heard how much more expensive synthetic changes were. I buy the Subaru filters in six packs. Subaru almost made it too easy, the filter is right on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil_filter.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	1177667
    Synthetic oils dropped in price significantly about two years ago. I don't know why but I noticed it. The jug above that I now buy for $32 used to be $60.

gone walk about
    Yep, same here but I use the Mobile One 15K. mile full synthetic and I also get it from Walmart. The extra mileage is worth it to me for an extra $10. Even though I don't go 15K. but between 3K. & 4K, between oil changes.
    me too, me too.......mobile one full syn 0-20 and change 3-4k.

Here, diagonally!
    Never had a problem with the quicky lube places (other than upsells which I always refuse). I've got an oil level idiot light, and an oil pressure gauge, so monitor those closely after a change, and then check the level after the short trip home. Granted they could goof up and overfill it <jinx>.

I've built engines from the bare block and installed them in a past life, but I am done changing my own oil and hauling the old back up to the auto parts store. I still do my own modifications, because I do enjoy it.
    Banshee Prime

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I've built engines from the bare block and installed them in a past life, but I am done changing my own oil and hauling the old back up to the auto parts store. I still do my own modifications, because I do enjoy it.
    I hear ya. I change my own oil sometimes and sometimes I go to Wal Mart and have them do it. It costs more for me to do it that way because I have to purchase the oil I want and have them do the labor. Even though they carry the oil in the store to buy it's not one that they give you a choice to use. Unfortunately there is no break because I supply the oil. Problem is I'm paranoid that one of the workers will do a quick switch and keep the jug of good synthetic for himself and just fill with a cheaper oil. I've even asked for the empty 5-Qt jug back. That's not to say they still couldn't pull a fast one. I'm paranoid that way.

mtbr member
    Can you just switch full synthetic or do you have to do some sort of a flush?

Bummer about the bike, hopefully they will take care of you, they should.
    I had a friend have their truck serviced there before a 2 week camping trip, all off road. We were pulling a trailer and about 5 miles in one of the rear tires went over rock and exploded, I have never seen anything like it. we changed it and drove about 200 feet and another tire exploded. Turned out that the place over inflated the tires by a huge margin. I don't remember the numbers but she couldn't prove anything.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Can you just switch full synthetic or do you have to do some sort of a flush?
    You can switch to synthetic without flushing. Just drain and refill no problem.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Never had a problem with the quicky lube places (other than upsells which I always refuse). I've got an oil level idiot light, and an oil pressure gauge, so monitor those closely after a change, and then check the level after the short trip home. Granted they could goof up and overfill it <jinx>.

We have curbside oil recycling here on our trash days. You call the trash service if you want to participate and they drop off a freebie big (maybe 3 gallons) flat drain pan type container that you keep. You drain the oil right into it. They also supply a super heavy duty gauge ziploc bag that will fit 2 or 3 average oil filters. Up to a day before trash day, you call and tell them you have a used oil container for pickup. They roll a flatbed that has about a 100 gal tank onboard that the oil gets poured into. They test it for contaminants like antifreeze and a few other things before it gets dumped. You get the container back and a new ziploc for the next time. We also have auto parts store and even Jippy-Lube collects waste oil but as said, that gets to be a PITA and inevitably, it leaks or spills on something.

Cycologist
    We have curbside oil recycling here on our trash days. You call the trash service if you want to participate and they drop off a freebie big (maybe 3 gallons) flat drain pan type container that you keep. You drain the oil right into it. They also supply a super heavy duty gauge ziploc bag that will fit 2 or 3 average oil filters. Up to a day before trash day, you call and tell them you have a used oil container for pickup. They roll a flatbed that has about a 100 gal tank onboard that the oil gets poured into. They test it for contaminants like antifreeze and a few other things before it gets dumped. You get the container back and a new ziploc for the next time. We also have auto parts store and even Jippy-Lube collects waste oil but as said, that gets to be a PITA and inevitably, it leaks or spills on something.
    Wow, nice. I have to haul mine to the auto parts store. Pretty sure they are required to accept it, at least here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    For the higher estimate, go to a shop that does not carry the brand you ride.
    I actually did this. I found a shop that would play and understands my predicament. They've promised a good quote.

Wow, nice. I have to haul mine to the auto parts store. Pretty sure they are required to accept it, at least here.
    Take it to Walmart, theyíll take it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

** Medical disclosure-

Wow, i never thought of this. lol.

I actually did this. I found a shop that would play and understands my predicament. They've promised a good quote.
    Keep us updated please.

Here, diagonally!
    I hear ya. I change my own oil sometimes and sometimes I go to Wal Mart and have them do it. It costs more for me to do it that way because I have to purchase the oil I want and have them do the labor. Even though they carry the oil in the store to buy it's not one that they give you a choice to use. Unfortunately there is no break because I supply the oil. Problem is I'm paranoid that one of the workers will do a quick switch and keep the jug of good synthetic for himself and just fill with a cheaper oil. I've even asked for the empty 5-Qt jug back. That's not to say they still couldn't pull a fast one. I'm paranoid that way.
    I hear that. Ultimately if you want something done right, do it yourself. 20 years ago, I wouldn't let anyone touch my cars. Now, I'm down to no one touches my bike. I never would have predicted that, LOL. Too many irons in the fire, and I have to pick my battles.
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Synthetic oil is more expensive, but I have 275,000 miles on my car, engine is still running great.
    You don't even have to go full synth. Ford's blended synth ran through our '03 Escape until the tranny peaced out at over 245k. Pulled the pan around 150k, wasn't enough wear on the bearings to even bother swapping in new ones without going over. Even with all the cams, oil pressure never got low enough to even blip the light. A lot of that is due to quality production, but hell, there were a lot of months in there where I ran up to two quarts low before topping off due to crankshaft seals that were well beyond service.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Maaaaan
    You know what, I saw an independent study of after market oil filters and they said they are so bad now, go to the dealer for the filters.
    The one exception was Motorcraft. Apparently Ford makes their over the counter filters to the same high standard as for their own cars and trucks.

Even the filter makers that were once great, like Bosch, are sneaking half sized filter elements into the metal can.

Maaaaan
    You're not being paranoid either DJ.
    A few years back, my mother's car was running funky, pinging, mileage drop etc.
    I decided to replace the plugs and guess what I found in my mother's ford?
    I found AC Delco plugs in the thing, when they shouldn't have been touched.
    She had left her car at a Oil Changers or Discount Tire for too long (Can't remeber which now) and the plugs which are expensive 100K plus types were taken out and swapped for the cheap ass AC Delco ones! The Delco ones probably came from the Wallyworld next door to both shops.
    The plugs are really easy to get to on her little 4 Banger.
    It's a good thing I caught it in time, whoever did it didn't use any antiseize on the plug threads...

Co Springs
    I read up on oil and filters years ago. Kind of wanted to research it a bit when I got a motorbike and didn't want to buy Honda m/c oil for $8 a quart.

Two sites I found helpful were BITOG (bob is the oil guy) https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...s.php?ubb=cfrm

and mark at calsci
    https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oil.html

Lots of good info where he (Mark) has cut apart filters to show how they are made and differences, good explainations on motor oil including test results and such.

At the time I was doing my o/c and using one oil for everything - Shell Rotella T Synthetic. Safe on m/c wet clutch and good for everthing else, about $19 a gallon at the time at WMart.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 6 Days Ago at 12:32 AM.

gone walk about
    I read up on oil and filters years ago. Kind of wanted to research it a bit when I got a motorbike and didn't want to buy Honda m/c oil for $8 a quart.

Two sites I found helpful were BITOG (bob is the oil guy) https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...s.php?ubb=cfrm

and mark at calsci
    https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oil.html

Lots of good info where he (Mark) has cut a apart filters to show they are made and differences, good explainations on motor oil including test results and such.

At the time I was doing my o/c and using one oil for everything - Shell Rotella T Synthetic. Safe on m/c wet clutch and good for everthing else, about $19 a gallon at the time at WMart.
    BITOG is great with copious amounts of info for those seeking it.

mtbr member
    Why is this thread now about oil?

#1 because itís the OC.

#2 because oil change rip off places and oil have something in common.

Cycologist
    Butt out, Bacon Biker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Went to one of those quickie oil change places once, while I was giving instructions to the lead guy, one of the flunkies jumped in my truck to get the mileage...when he saw my German Shepard he flew out of the truck and into the shelf of filters. No damage to the truck but I think the guy peed himself a little.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Because the world revolves around oil.

No, literally. There's a big puddle of oil inside the earth that lubricates the bearings on the axle the earth turns on.

gone walk about
    Butt out, Bacon Biker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    here is a pic of my bike on the floor of jiffy lube.

i may always leave my bike on the car when i get the oil changed. I could score a new bike every year.

On further inspection, the bike shop guy said the headset is loose, probably meaning the head tube is damaged beyond repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bike wrecked, what would you do?-img_0054.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Keep us updated please.

Will do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post

um, well, the oil got changed, the tires got rotated, but the bike got crashed.

not as well as what i'd hoped.

mtbr member
    On further inspection, the bike shop guy said the headset is loose, probably meaning the head tube is damaged beyond repair.
    There is no way you should accept anything short of a new bike! Talk to the bike manufacturer, tell them what happened. Get them to chime in with their opinion on the safety of that bike and trust me, the conversation with Lube-Tubes insurance will be really short!

Cycologist
    I imagine most people don't really understand that a bike frame is, well, the structural frame, and that damage is not just cosmetic. If they had damaged a car's frame, I don't think they would get away with just getting it "repaired".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There is no way you should accept anything short of a new bike! Talk to the bike manufacturer, tell them what happened. Get them to chime in with their opinion on the safety of that bike and trust me, the conversation with Lube-Tubes insurance will be really short!
    I agree. If you need to convince the insurance company of this, then show them a quote from a bike shop to:

1. Disassemble the bike completely
    2. Inspect every individual part
    3. Reassemble the entire bike.

Then also give them a full MSRP (which you're entitled to) on each individual purchased part on the bike.

Easily, this will all add up to more than the MSRP of the bike in question.

They are trying to pay as little as possible to get this done. Show them that giving you MSRP replacement of the bike is the cheapest.

Make sure they know that you've got other bikes, so you're willing to put in the time to get restitution, but this was your favorite, and you will not settle for less. Make sure to annoy then daily about it. I suggest a phoneCall. They'll likely screen your call. Follow up with an email that says 'i am sorry I missed you on the phone this morning blah blah blah'.

They'll fold.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    Sounds like your power-nap worked... where you been all thread (consciously speaking) ?

mtbr member
    If they had damaged a car's frame, I don't think they would get away with just getting it "repaired".
    Actually, it's often the case that yes, they would. Car chassis/bodies are steel and if they get bent you can put them on a jig and straighten them out. Body shops do this all the time.

I wonder if that's the mentality this insurer is coming from? They need educatin'.

gone walk about
    Actually, it's often the case that yes, they would. Car chassis/bodies are steel and if they get bent you can put them on a jig and straighten them out. Body shops do this all the time.
    but not to be trusted imv.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    but not to be trusted.
    It depends who does it.

Not long after I started driving, literally a few days after I got my first car, I hit a lamppost at low speed. The next day one of the guys I work beside hit another car head on! Both cars ended up in the same garage sitting side-by-side on body jigs. Mine was't too bad but his car was well bent.

We both got our cars back and they were fine. You wouldn't know they'd been damaged.

mtbr member
    Screw the adjuster. You are entightled to be made whole. A new bike and rack is the only way to do that, thatís what they need to do. Donít accept anything less. Did the dumbass who told you heíd raise the door get fired for not doing so?
    This.

gone walk about
    It depends who does it.

Not long after I started driving, literally a few days after I got my first car, I hit a lamppost at low speed. The next day one of the guys I work beside hit another car head on! Both cars ended up in the same garage sitting side-by-side on body jigs. Mine was't too bad but his car was well bent.

We both got our cars back and they were fine. You wouldn't know they'd been damaged.
    naaaa i'll pass thanks, the chassis has been compromised from the incident and yet again within the jig........and they can only get it to within a certain %, which leads most to believe it's fine.

Maaaaan
    Because OP never should have taken the prized family vehicle to super ripoff oil mechanics.

So anyone else have an oil change place claim that a perfectly good, new, air filter was "bad" as well?

Or, that your months old coolant was in "terrible" shape and needed to be replaced?

Here, diagonally!
    In my case, it's usually rear diff oil that has a brown appearance when dripped on a white piece of paper. The horror!
    Banshee Prime

In my case, it's usually rear diff oil that has a brown appearance when dripped on a white piece of paper. The horror!
    Theyíll try anything. Problem is a huge percent will bite.

One ring to mash them all
    There are a couple local independent places I'll take my vehicles for work that I trust. A couple times I was shown my dirty air filter and yeah it was a mess. They would only charge me for the part and not for labor.

The only time I've been "upsold" was at a Firestone shop and I just walked out.
    Į\(į_o)/Į

Pro Crastinator
    go to several shops. give the insurance guy all the most expensive quotes..

oh my TVC 15
    We've some recent experience with the car and rack, some slightly more dated experience with the bike. Starting with the car and rack, take the car to a good body shop and ask for the estimate (including replacing and remounting the rack). They owe you that. The last bike I had insurance replace I went to three LBS and had them quote the bike (or closest replacement) plus accessories (mine was stolen). If you have some accessories (seats and tools) that aren't damaged and you have possession of them, don't add them to the quote. You probably don't need an attorney if you have collision insurance, your insurance should work that for you. I'm using an attorney now for an accident claim against a local school board and he'll take 1/3 of any settlement so be prepared for that if you use an attorney. There is no co-pay when they damage your car (if that comes up). Also, we were quoted $2,700 on my wife's car but the damage actually came to $4,000+. Had the repair shop notified us we'd have totaled the car. Just a heads up.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    There are a couple local independent places I'll take my vehicles for work that I trust. A couple times I was shown my dirty air filter and yeah it was a mess. They would only charge me for the part and not for labor.

The only time I've been "upsold" was at a Firestone shop and I just walked out.
    FS, is known for that. Thereís one directly in front of my work. Because itís so convenient many of my coworkers have work done there. Drop it off and walk 100 yards to work. Get off work and the vehicle is done. Iíve told them time and time again of their crooked ways, few listen. Iíve looked at many of their bills and see over charged and add onís, no thanks.

Maaaaan
    FS, is known for that. Thereís one directly in front of my work. Because itís so convenient many of my coworkers have work done there. Drop it off and walk 100 yards to work. Get off work and the vehicle is done. Iíve told them time and time again of their crooked ways, few listen. Iíve looked at many of their bills and see over charged and add onís, no thanks.
    Big-Os are fantastically crooked too.
    More than once they tried to rip off my mother. Twice charged her for front end alignments that weren't done. They tried to tell me and her that the car needed a front end rebuild.
    I had to take the car myself to my guys that were in San Leandro to have it done. Car was so far out, you could see it with the naked eye. The jointd and ends were fine of course.

Big-O also will tell an unsuspecting customer, that your car only has one or two tire types available and try to get something like 600 - 800 for Ford Focus tires...
    I had to look around but found a place to put some Pirelli's on it for about 500.
    There also turned out to be quite a few tire brands and types to choose from.

Meatbomb
    I NEVER set foot in or allow anyone I know to set foot in a chain auto repair shop !!!!!

Discount Tire is the exception. I buy all my tires from them. Otherwise I have a good friend that does all my auto and truck maintenance / repairs.... I call him a good friend because I typically show up after hours with a case of his beer and we talk while he does the work. You have to know your mechanic!!

Mine comes to my holiday parties. I trust him.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I NEVER set foot in or allow anyone I know to set foot in a chain auto repair shop !!!!!

Discount Tire is the exception. I buy all my tires from them. Otherwise I have a good friend that does all my auto and truck maintenance / repairs.... I call him a good friend because I typically show up after hours with a case of his beer and we talk while he does the work. You have to know your mechanic!!

Mine comes to my holiday parties. I trust him.
    i would too if invited..

Meatbomb
    Are you Diesel Certified

Or have a hot wife?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Are you Diesel Certified

Or have a hot wife?
    Oh i'm certified aight, just not sure at what.

No wifey, but i do have a ringtailed coati you might find warm n fuzzy.

Meatbomb
    I gave a ringtail coati a bath once.... He appeared to really like it but the hair stuck to my tongue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast