Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Best Steakhouse?

Who makes the best steaks in your area and tell us a some specifics about their works of art.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Who makes the best steaks in your area and tell us a some specifics about their works of art.
    I do. Grass fed Prime tenderloin, $36.99 lb, very light rub with Emeril steak rub, Weber at 375 degrees, throw them on and close the lid, 12 minutes, flip and close the lid, 12 minutes, remove and let stand 5 minutes. It's good to be the King.

mtbr member
    The best stake I ever had hands down was at Ruth Cris in DC. Been to many famous stake houses, and many other Ruth Cris's, none come close.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Best Steakhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I do. Grass fed Prime tenderloin, $36.99 lb, very light rub with Emeril steak rub, Weber at 375 degrees, throw them on and close the lid, 12 minutes, flip and close the lid, 12 minutes, remove and let stand 5 minutes. It's good to be the King.
    24 mins? You got me curious. How thick, and how do you like em? (Med rare, etc.). Im always open to new methods.

official eMpTyBRain
    Been to Ruth Cris in Beverly Hills. Good but not necessarily the best I'd ever had. Can't really recall the best but it sounds like I will be enjoying a serious contender at Opti's place this Fall. Oh, yeah...

Raymond Donald Franklin
    I find preference of steaks to be highly subjective. Some people like popular fancy places, others small primitive places.

I lean towards the latter, preferring no-frill cowboy style steakhouses. No fancy toppings, just good tender cuts of beef cooked to perfect rare with minimal seasoning so I can enjoy the taste of beef. 20+oz cuts are big plus for me, even though I seldom eat that much these days.

I haven't found the place I really like yet, but some places I liked enough that I've gone back multiple times. Among those are Harris Ranch (good bone-in ribeye) and Big Texan in Amarillo (fantastic filet, but ribeye not so good). They cook the steaks the way I like (slightly burnt outside, bloody red inside). Most big chains tend to overcook meat for my liking.

EDIT (June 27th, 2013): Big Texan has lost its way. Used to be able to get 18-oz filet. It was reduced to 16-oz about a year ago, and now the biggest you can get is 12-oz, which can be had at just about any steakhouse. I'm disappointed
    Last edited by Katz; 06-29-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Jocko's in Nipomo, CA.

It's in my backyard. Ambiance = meh. It's a 1950's smokey bar style. You go there for the meat. The large Spencer. It sits on your plate like a gigantic dirt clod. Every other cut is phenomenal, too. Biggest fillets I've ever seen at a restaurant.

AZ
    banned
    Kirkland Steak House, Kirkland Junction Az. Said to be an old whore house from the 1800's, Bullet holes in the punched tin ceiling. Unfortunately however, it burned down some years ago.

mtbr member
    I'm with Optimus, I cook the best steak, exactly my way at med. rare.

I've been let down by too many "Steakhouses" so I don't even bother going anymore.

For Prime Rib, House of Prime Rib in SF on Van Ness. hands down.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Best Steakhouse?

Fred steak. Orgasm. That is all.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Fred steak. Orgasm. That is all.
    Optimus steak. Multiple orgasm.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    24 mins? You got me curious. How thick, and how do you like em? (Med rare, etc.). Im always open to new methods.
    Usually a full 2" thick, sometimes a bit more. Rare. A bit of a carmelized crust, brown about 3/16" in, pink for about 1/2", red and perfect temp in the middle 1/2" or so, melt in your mouth tender and juicy, no bacon wrap.

PRETENDURO
    Pretty sure my best experience nearby (Palo Alto, across from Stanford University) was Sundance Mining Company. Of course, I haven’t been there since 2005 or so.

…but, in the world…

My best “steakhouse” experience was more than just a steak house. I ate The Carnivore in Nairobi, Kenya back in 2003. I had no idea ostrich meat could taste better than filet mignon!!! …and at a fraction of the cost!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Best Steakhouse?

Lol!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

official eMpTyBRain

High Desert MTBer
    Not a big steak fan me, but I once got taken to a 'special' place in Tokyo with Kobe beef served by Geishas. The meat was incredible.

Sorry Hawg, not really in my area, but as a child of the planet!...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    My Weber.

I rub the steak with a bit o' Montreal Steak Spice and let it sit at room temp for about an hour. My preferred cut is thick cut tenderloin, or sirloin tip cut to about 8 oz, at least 2" thick.

On a sheet of aluminum foil I put a pat of butter, a dash of Worcestershire sauce (L&P), some Montreal Steak Spice, and chopped onions and mushrooms.

I tend to let the coals go just past peak heat. Then, I caramelize the onions/shrooms and quick sear the steaks, 2mins per side, each side sees heat twice to crosshatch.

Then, the steaks go in the oven at a low temp (say 250*) for about 8-10 minutes with the onion/shroom topping. I like them on the rare to medium-rare spectrum.

Serve with a baked tater and some sauteed haricot vert. Guaranteed pleaser.

I grill year-round here in VT...I just love cooking, but the grill is my favorite technique.

mtbr member
    The best steak I ever had...

I went to college in a small rural PA town. There we were able to get fresh beef raised naturally by the Amish. No hormones, all grass fed. One of my friends worked at Outback Steakhouse at the time and he brought us the seasoning they use on their steaks. We rubbed down the beautifully marbled meat (still talking about the steak) and grilled em'.

The evening's meal was promptly followed with more beer and a game of ultimate frisbee.
    The cake is a lie.

I eat cats
    For chain joints I like Ruth's Chris, Morton's, and/or Mastro's but I also have to agree that the best steaks are often found at home.

I get my Big Green Egg up to 800 degrees+ and throw on a nice steak with only salt and pepper as the seasoning (sometimes a tiny bit of butter layered on or I may just plop a little butter on before serving depending on the crowd's liking). Turn 90 degrees after a min or two on the first side for nice grill marks then flip and repeat. If it is a thicker cut I will drop the temp down a bit after a min or two after the flip so the outside doesn't crust up too much and let it finish up. To be honest I don't know the exact times because for me grilling and BBqing is all about temp, look, feel... not a specific time a recipe or book tells you. Also, keep the seasoning simple.. Salt and pepper is usually all you need and over seasoning ruins the steak flavor.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I worked in a little steakhouse in NM when I was in college. It was one of those places I could never hope to afford as I washed dishes to by cheap beer. They were closed on Sundays, so any leftover Prime Rib was up for grabs. After a while, I got some of it. It was awesome! Best prime rib I've ever had.

I do have to agree with some of the rest of you though, the best steaks are the ones I make. I have a buddy that can make a great one too, but I like cooking my own and choosing what flavors I put in it. Wildest, most awesome seasoning? Just a bit of cinnamon.

Ride More, Whine Less

Best Steakhouse?

Longhorn Steak House (a chain) had a bone on ribeye that was absolutely delicious. That was on my first trip, but not my last trip, to this place. One of the best steaks I have ever eaten out.

Next to that I love carne asada found at local Mexican dives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A place named St. Elmo's in downtown Indianapolis.
    Cooked just to medium. They are a pretty good size, too.

Odd I haven't seen a vote for Ponderosa or Bonanza.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post

Odd I haven't seen a vote for Ponderosa or Bonanza.
    What does TV shows have to do with Steaks?
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm with Optimus on this one.

Last week I grilled a grass finished bison filet mignon. I salted and re-wrapped the night before. Set out 30 minutes before grilling and seasoned with some fresh pepper. Cooked medium rare. It was one of the best steaks I've had. And now I want another...

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by COBilly View Post
    I'm with Optimus on this one.

Last week I grilled a grass finished bison filet mignon. I salted and re-wrapped the night before. Set out 30 minutes before grilling and seasoned with some fresh pepper. Cooked medium rare. It was one of the best steaks I've had. And now I want another...
    Right on. I don't even eat steak anymore, unless it is exactly what I stated up above. Nothing else compares.

I wasn't kidding, GOB, multiples!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast