Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Best Steakhouse?

Who makes the best steaks in your area and tell us a some specifics about their works of art.

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Who makes the best steaks in your area and tell us a some specifics about their works of art.
    I do. Grass fed Prime tenderloin, $36.99 lb, very light rub with Emeril steak rub, Weber at 375 degrees, throw them on and close the lid, 12 minutes, flip and close the lid, 12 minutes, remove and let stand 5 minutes. It's good to be the King.

mtbr member
    The best stake I ever had hands down was at Ruth Cris in DC. Been to many famous stake houses, and many other Ruth Cris's, none come close.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Best Steakhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I do. Grass fed Prime tenderloin, $36.99 lb, very light rub with Emeril steak rub, Weber at 375 degrees, throw them on and close the lid, 12 minutes, flip and close the lid, 12 minutes, remove and let stand 5 minutes. It's good to be the King.
    24 mins? You got me curious. How thick, and how do you like em? (Med rare, etc.). Im always open to new methods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Been to Ruth Cris in Beverly Hills. Good but not necessarily the best I'd ever had. Can't really recall the best but it sounds like I will be enjoying a serious contender at Opti's place this Fall. Oh, yeah...

Ho'lier than thou
    I find preference of steaks to be highly subjective. Some people like popular fancy places, others small primitive places.

I lean towards the latter, preferring no-frill cowboy style steakhouses. No fancy toppings, just good tender cuts of beef cooked to perfect rare with minimal seasoning so I can enjoy the taste of beef. 20+oz cuts are big plus for me, even though I seldom eat that much these days.

I haven't found the place I really like yet, but some places I liked enough that I've gone back multiple times. Among those are Harris Ranch (good bone-in ribeye) and Big Texan in Amarillo (fantastic filet, but ribeye not so good). They cook the steaks the way I like (slightly burnt outside, bloody red inside). Most big chains tend to overcook meat for my liking.

EDIT (June 27th, 2013): Big Texan has lost its way. Used to be able to get 18-oz filet. It was reduced to 16-oz about a year ago, and now the biggest you can get is 12-oz, which can be had at just about any steakhouse. I'm disappointed
    Last edited by Katz; 06-29-2013 at 07:09 PM.

aka: Buck eFikes
    Jocko's in Nipomo, CA.

It's in my backyard. Ambiance = meh. It's a 1950's smokey bar style. You go there for the meat. The large Spencer. It sits on your plate like a gigantic dirt clod. Every other cut is phenomenal, too. Biggest fillets I've ever seen at a restaurant.

AZ
    banned
    Kirkland Steak House, Kirkland Junction Az. Said to be an old whore house from the 1800's, Bullet holes in the punched tin ceiling. Unfortunately however, it burned down some years ago.

mtbr member
    I'm with Optimus, I cook the best steak, exactly my way at med. rare.

I've been let down by too many "Steakhouses" so I don't even bother going anymore.

For Prime Rib, House of Prime Rib in SF on Van Ness. hands down.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

gobsmacked Moderator

Best Steakhouse?

Fred steak. Orgasm. That is all.

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Fred steak. Orgasm. That is all.
    Optimus steak. Multiple orgasm.

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    24 mins? You got me curious. How thick, and how do you like em? (Med rare, etc.). Im always open to new methods.
    Usually a full 2" thick, sometimes a bit more. Rare. A bit of a carmelized crust, brown about 3/16" in, pink for about 1/2", red and perfect temp in the middle 1/2" or so, melt in your mouth tender and juicy, no bacon wrap.

PRETENDURO
    Pretty sure my best experience nearby (Palo Alto, across from Stanford University) was Sundance Mining Company. Of course, I haven’t been there since 2005 or so.

…but, in the world…

My best “steakhouse” experience was more than just a steak house. I ate The Carnivore in Nairobi, Kenya back in 2003. I had no idea ostrich meat could taste better than filet mignon!!! …and at a fraction of the cost!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

gobsmacked Moderator

Best Steakhouse?

Lol!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

High Desert MTBer
    Not a big steak fan me, but I once got taken to a 'special' place in Tokyo with Kobe beef served by Geishas. The meat was incredible.

Sorry Hawg, not really in my area, but as a child of the planet!...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    My Weber.

I rub the steak with a bit o' Montreal Steak Spice and let it sit at room temp for about an hour. My preferred cut is thick cut tenderloin, or sirloin tip cut to about 8 oz, at least 2" thick.

On a sheet of aluminum foil I put a pat of butter, a dash of Worcestershire sauce (L&P), some Montreal Steak Spice, and chopped onions and mushrooms.

I tend to let the coals go just past peak heat. Then, I caramelize the onions/shrooms and quick sear the steaks, 2mins per side, each side sees heat twice to crosshatch.

Then, the steaks go in the oven at a low temp (say 250*) for about 8-10 minutes with the onion/shroom topping. I like them on the rare to medium-rare spectrum.

Serve with a baked tater and some sauteed haricot vert. Guaranteed pleaser.

I grill year-round here in VT...I just love cooking, but the grill is my favorite technique.

mtbr member
    The best steak I ever had...

I went to college in a small rural PA town. There we were able to get fresh beef raised naturally by the Amish. No hormones, all grass fed. One of my friends worked at Outback Steakhouse at the time and he brought us the seasoning they use on their steaks. We rubbed down the beautifully marbled meat (still talking about the steak) and grilled em'.

The evening's meal was promptly followed with more beer and a game of ultimate frisbee.
    The cake is a lie.

banned
    Sep 2012
    For chain joints I like Ruth's Chris, Morton's, and/or Mastro's but I also have to agree that the best steaks are often found at home.

I get my Big Green Egg up to 800 degrees+ and throw on a nice steak with only salt and pepper as the seasoning (sometimes a tiny bit of butter layered on or I may just plop a little butter on before serving depending on the crowd's liking). Turn 90 degrees after a min or two on the first side for nice grill marks then flip and repeat. If it is a thicker cut I will drop the temp down a bit after a min or two after the flip so the outside doesn't crust up too much and let it finish up. To be honest I don't know the exact times because for me grilling and BBqing is all about temp, look, feel... not a specific time a recipe or book tells you. Also, keep the seasoning simple.. Salt and pepper is usually all you need and over seasoning ruins the steak flavor.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I worked in a little steakhouse in NM when I was in college. It was one of those places I could never hope to afford as I washed dishes to by cheap beer. They were closed on Sundays, so any leftover Prime Rib was up for grabs. After a while, I got some of it. It was awesome! Best prime rib I've ever had.

I do have to agree with some of the rest of you though, the best steaks are the ones I make. I have a buddy that can make a great one too, but I like cooking my own and choosing what flavors I put in it. Wildest, most awesome seasoning? Just a bit of cinnamon.

Ride More, Work Less

Best Steakhouse?

Longhorn Steak House (a chain) had a bone on ribeye that was absolutely delicious. That was on my first trip, but not my last trip, to this place. One of the best steaks I have ever eaten out.

Next to that I love carne asada found at local Mexican dives.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    A place named St. Elmo's in downtown Indianapolis.
    Cooked just to medium. They are a pretty good size, too.

Odd I haven't seen a vote for Ponderosa or Bonanza.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post

Odd I haven't seen a vote for Ponderosa or Bonanza.
    What does TV shows have to do with Steaks?
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm with Optimus on this one.

Last week I grilled a grass finished bison filet mignon. I salted and re-wrapped the night before. Set out 30 minutes before grilling and seasoned with some fresh pepper. Cooked medium rare. It was one of the best steaks I've had. And now I want another...

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by COBilly View Post
    I'm with Optimus on this one.

Last week I grilled a grass finished bison filet mignon. I salted and re-wrapped the night before. Set out 30 minutes before grilling and seasoned with some fresh pepper. Cooked medium rare. It was one of the best steaks I've had. And now I want another...
    Right on. I don't even eat steak anymore, unless it is exactly what I stated up above. Nothing else compares.

I wasn't kidding, GOB, multiples!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Right on. I don't even eat steak anymore, unless it is exactly what I stated up above. Nothing else compares.

I wasn't kidding, GOB, multiples!!!
    I'm starting to become really picky about my red meat too. We usually get our meat at Sprouts but Safeway was having a sale on sirloin when my g/f was picking up some other groceries. She picked a couple up and we cooked them that night. It was so disgusting I couldn't even finish mine. I choked down about 2/3 of mine and threw the rest away.

We have been kicking around the idea of buying a deep freezer and buying a quarter grass finished cow. The logistics and timing haven't worked in our favor yet but eventually it'll happen. And when that happens, I'm buying some grass finished bison too. That **** is sooooo good

live long and huck
    COBilly, you have AJ's Fine Foods available? Expensive, but delicious!!

Live 2 Ride
    In my neck of the woods I would say the best is Sizzler.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
    in my neck of the woods i would say the best is sizzler.
    omg!!!

Live 2 Ride
    Not a big selection of steak houses around here.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

gobsmacked Moderator

Best Steakhouse?

That's my vote for the worst steak I've ever had.

live long and huck
    Is Sizzler even steak? Sorry Kona.

AZ
    banned
    Sizzler got upgraded to Steakhouse?

banned
    Jun 2007
    Agree that the best experience often is prepared @ home on the grill with friends drinking on the deck, yet this is about steakhouses, so...

Other than Ruth Chris, Morton's and The Palm, the best hands-down, no expense spared steak dinner I've had was in Tampa @ Bern's Steakhouse with an aged chateaubriand for 5 sliced at tableside.

Bern's Steak House - Our Steaks

Yes, merlot was involved, as was dessert, tawny port, and 150 yr old Gran Marnier.

Ride More, Work Less

Best Steakhouse?

Not this thread but the worst value and quality in steaks I have have come from Outback, TGIF and any place that has a buffet bar.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

El Gato Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Not this thread but the worst value and quality in steaks I have have come from Outback, TGIF and any place that has a buffet bar.
    .....and Applebee's. For the places to avoid in MD/WV area there's The Golden Corral or affectionately known as The Golden Cholera.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    You have a fine selection just a few miles from your house!

okay maybe more than a "few" but not that far.
    buzzes like a fridge

Ride More, Work Less
    ^ Now that's marbling

High Desert MTBer
    Only steak I ever cook now is flank steak. I marinate it for at least 24 hours in lashings of Worcester Sauce and coarse Dijon mustard, grill it until the outside is seared and a little charred on the edges, and the inside is light pink, then cut it super thin against the grain and eat with a salad. Yum! I use a few other tricks to make it mo bettah, but cannot divulge or I will have to kill myself...
    It's all Here. Now.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I use salt, pepper, sometimes worcestershire or lime or lemon juice if I need more fluid in there. Then I beat my meat like a redheaded stepchild and let it sit for about an hour. Usually works. Sometimes with a cheap shoulder cut or something I'll throw the citrus juice on overnight, but that's only when it looks like it could be a tough piece.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    I beat my meat like a redheaded stepchild and let it sit for about an hour. Usually works.
    Waaaay TMI!!!

Best Steakhouse?-mal9xt.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

El Gato Malo
    ^^^^rockerc, quit posting selfies.

Afric Pepperbird
    That one with the bottomless waitresses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    That one with the bottomless waitresses.
    Where's that??? I'll meet you there in 5 minutes!

Super Clyde
    Ruth's Chris is one of my favorites. I've eaten at Morton's in Chicago and I wasn't impressed. If I'm out and about I'll usually just hit up Texas Roadhouse and get a rib-eye. The best is at home though. I just picked up a couple grass fed rib-eyes at Trader Joe's that look absolutely divine. I brush a little coconut oil, salt and pepper on them, and viola, awesome steaks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Ruth's Chris is one of my favorites. I've eaten at Morton's in Chicago and I wasn't impressed.
    I've been to a few Morton's, and I agree they can be hit or miss for some reason. Ruth's seems to be much more consistent, maybe because of their special ovens.
    buzzes like a fridge

psycho cyclo addict

Best Steakhouse?

Best steak I ever ordered was at The Old Saloon and Livery Stable just North of Paradise Valley, MT. I think it is closed now (building has been there since 1902). For a chain, +1 for Ruth's Chris as being consistently better than average. Local place - Ray's The Steaks in Arlington, VA is quite good.

Second best steakhouse is my deck... (primary source of beef is an independently owned grocery store in Silver Spring, MD that's been around since the 1940's and another source is Bosak's Choice Meats in Olyphant, PA- they've repeatedly won kielbasa competitions).

Best Steakhouse?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372441431.587568.jpg

U sayin' Bolt ?
    GirlOnBike is right, Fred Steak is GOOD

I smoke a cast iron skillet in the oven at 550 degrees for 20 mins put a couple steaks on it and put it under the broiler. You HAVE TO have great ventilation, but almost any thickness of steak is done in under 13 mins.

T.W.O.
    Crafts steak house at MGM in Vegas. Good selections.

Ruth's steak is pretty good but I just don't get the way they do sides. Morton's just too pricey for the most part.

Best steaks ever are the one I do at home or my restaurant, nice thick, juicy porterhouse that I can share with a few. That and nice thick bone in ribeye, yum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    COBilly, you have AJ's Fine Foods available? Expensive, but delicious!!
    No, I'm in Denver. We have a place called Marczyk's that's really good but expensive. If I want something really good though there is a farm about 15 minutes away from me that has free range/grass finished meat. I also get raw milk there. It's all expensive but reallly good and a lot healthier than most chain stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast