Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Flaccid Member

Best $5.00 investment I ever made.

Been marinating the Tri tip roast with some mesquite flavored spices.... 2.7 lbs. worth, and I will be working the BBQ later, once I am sober. Picked up some Stone's Expresso Imperial Stout... 22oz. of 11% bliss, 2013 microbrew release only.... Am I crazy or is this one of the best $4.89 investments I ever made at Costco the other day?

This sh!t is amazingly hoppy and delicious when roasted coffee beans are added, Expresso style. Sorry for my rant and typing, I am roasted by one 22 oz bottle on an empty stomach.... BBQ here I come!
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

No known cure
    I'm smoking salmon right now with peach wood. I usually use alder or cherry. I have to have a beer in hand when heating meat, and the GF happened to stop by earlier with a six of Sculpin IPA.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'm smoking salmon right now with peach wood. I usually use alder or cherry. I have to have a beer in hand when heating meat, and the GF happened to stop by earlier with a six of Sculpin IPA.
    Diego micro brew FTW by Ballast Point.... and yeah, something about a fork, a BBQ and a cold one in the hand that seems so So Cal summer time, when the temps cooperate.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

NONDURO
    My local Costco only stocks middle of the road beer, unfortunately. WTF? Was pretty sure I lived in California.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    My local Costco only stocks middle of the road beer, unfortunately. WTF? Was pretty sure I lived in California.
    I'd talk to the manager of the store, and the purchasing agent... and if you are in Nor Cal... request some Lagunitas, or something Russian River based for micro brew, Healdsburg, maybe even some Ott Hoppin IPA from Anderson Valley? Give them some pointers if you know your beer or have done some sampling from The Beer Advocate...

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Diego micro brew FTW by Ballast Point.... and yeah, something about a fork, a BBQ and a cold one in the hand that seems so So Cal summer time, when the temps cooperate.
    Well, it just dipped into the 50's in my corner of So Cal, so it's hardly summer. The GF knows I'm too cheap to spend 15 bucks on a six of Sculpin, or any 10 dollar four pack, but the store was out of West Coast Hop Juice 22's. She's the best.

official eMpTyBRain
    What time should I stop by for some Tri tip???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Flaccid Member
    I should bring a 2.5-3 lb'er already marinated and do it up in Optimus's BBQ when the temps' get back to the 80's after a ride or three.

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ yup! ^
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

NONDURO
    I'd talk to the manager of the store, and the purchasing agent... and if you are in Nor Cal... request some Lagunitas, or something Russian River based for micro brew, Healdsburg, maybe even some Ott Hoppin IPA from Anderson Valley? Give them some pointers if you know your beer or have done some sampling from The Beer Advocate...
    Fortunately across the street there is a Whole Foods store with an amazing selection of beers, so I’m good to go… but it’d be nice to get Costco member prices on the stuff from time to time. Whole Foods had their “20% off ALL beer” sale last Friday (April 17th), I honestly have no clue how I missed out on it this time around.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I'm really surprised by that. All the Costcos in this area (Sac town) have seriously beefed up their beer selections. My local one has a huge selection of Belgians. And the prices are impossible to beat.
    Not a member? Thats ok. By law, Costco has to sell alcohol to the general public. Just go to the customer service desk and tell them you are there to buy alcohol. They will give you a temporay pass to use at the register. There used to be clubs that required you to pay to buy their alcohol - they were call Speak Easies.

I've had a few bottles of the Stone Espresso RIS. It is far from my favorite from Stone.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I'm really surprised by that. All the Costcos in this area (Sac town) have seriously beefed up their beer selections. My local one has a huge selection of Belgians. And the prices are impossible to beat.
    Not a member? Thats ok. By law, Costco has to sell alcohol to the general public. Just go to the customer service desk and tell them you are there to buy alcohol. They will give you a temporay pass to use at the register. There used to be clubs that required you to pay to buy their alcohol - they were call Speak Easies.

I've had a few bottles of the Stone Espresso RIS. It is far from my favorite from Stone.
    Well then, what is your favorite?

Prime
    I should bring a 2.5-3 lb'er already marinated and do it up in Optimus's BBQ when the temps' get back to the 80's after a ride or three.
    That would hit the spot.

Front Range, Colorado
    Wow this thread has got me a hankering for a micro and a BBQ. As stated they go hand in hand and your cheating yourself if you have ine without the other. I moved from Cali and here in Colorado if I want to go to Cosco it's a 45 minute drive. Not happening but there is no shortage of good beer here. And Brewtality thanks or the tip on the fact that Cosco has to by law sell liquor to non members, some good info.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

When it comes to BBQing, the best $5.00 investment you can make is buying a coal starter chimney. Lighter fluid is for scrubs.

"Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=BigRingGrinder;10415848]When it comes to BBQing, the best $5.00 investment you can make is buying a coal starter chimney. Lighter fluid is for scrubs.

[/
    QUOTE]

A friend of my father invented that but never got a
    patent. This conversation just happened a week
    ago with my dad about starting a fire for a BBQ. This was back in the 1960's he would take a roll of tin and form a cylinder like that. Then crumple up a bunch of newspapers and put them at the bottom. Then stack coals on top of the papers. You then light the newspapers from a hole in the
    bottom of the cylinder. The papers would burn away and the coals would drop. Then take the cylinder away and you have a round stack of red hot coals ready to BBQ. When my dad mentioned this a week ago I remembered as a kid watching our neighbor [my dads friend] do it. I then thought about building such a device and patenting it. But now that I see this BigRing you ruined my plans.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member

Well then, what is your favorite?
    2010 Double Bastard
    2013 Old Guardian Oak Smoked Barleywine
    2011 Barrel Aged Belgo Old Guardian
    2011 Belgo Anise RIS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flaccid Member
    2010 Double Bastard
    2011 Belgo Anise RIS

The 2010's an 2011's are long, long gone... But i did pick up a few Old Guardians also... something like 11.5 or 11.7% by volume, not for the weak or faint hearted.

I was at a micro brew sampling party last week, some New Belgium was there, as well as Stone and Firestone. By far, my favorite of the beers sampled was the Epic Vertical 12-12-12, and for lighter moments, they had done up a Cali Belgique (if you're french) or Cali Belgie (if you are Dutch) Two different bottles, same contents, take your pick, I bought the Dutch stuff.

mtbr member

The 2010's an 2011's are long, long gone...
    Not in my beer cellar

When I find something I really like, I buy it by the case and age it.

Flaccid Member
    Not in my beer cellar

When I find something I really like, I buy it by the case and age it.

Ya hear that Optimus and Hawg? Maybe I better get a lil bigger tri tip and we should go ride with Brewtality!!!!!

Ride More, Whine Less
    We made a tri tip carne asada last weekend. We thinly sliced the meat, and quickly seared it in a blazing hot cast iron skillet. Serving was simple: a cilantro, garlic chimichurri sauce nestled in a warm flour tortilla.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My best $5.00 investment was a " fi' dolla' holla' "

NONDURO
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE;10416048]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    When it comes to BBQing, the best $5.00 investment you can make is buying a coal starter chimney. Lighter fluid is for scrubs.

[/
    QUOTE]

A friend of my father invented that but never got a
    patent. This conversation just happened a week
    ago with my dad about starting a fire for a BBQ. This was back in the 1960's he would take a roll of tin and form a cylinder like that. Then crumple up a bunch of newspapers and put them at the bottom. Then stack coals on top of the papers. You then light the newspapers from a hole in the
    bottom of the cylinder. The papers would burn away and the coals would drop. Then take the cylinder away and you have a round stack of red hot coals ready to BBQ. When my dad mentioned this a week ago I remembered as a kid watching our neighbor [my dads friend] do it. I then thought about building such a device and patenting it. But now that I see this BigRing you ruined my plans.
    My dad showed my sister and I how to make a crude version of that out of a coffee can and a wire clothes hanger back in the 1970s. Maybe he was your father’s friend?

NONDURO
    2010 Double Bastard
    2011 Belgo Anise RIS

Aha! Another BIG beer appreciator. I had those ones you listed as well, but I… well, sort of drank them since they tasted too delicious to just keep around. I’ve been buying the Double Bastard in the 3L bottles every fall/winter when they come out. Interestingly, my local Whole Foods still has a couple of the 2012 Double Bastards in the 3L bottles.

No known cure
    White gas gets the mesquite going quickly. More points if you have a beer in hand as you light the fuse. Less points if the GF catches you showing kids.

I stash beer I really like too. I have several six packs of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale under the bed. Just because it only comes out in the winter, and comes in a Christmasy box doesn't mean it isn't welcome at a summer BBQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast